• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boney

Banned
Impa is the oldest reoccurring NPC in Zelda. She was in Zelda, Zelda II, Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, Oracle of Ages/Seasons, a cameo in Wind Waker, two separate characters in Twilight Princess, and a huge character in Skyward Sword. Her most recent appearance was in a Link Between Worlds.

She's one of the first characters to aid Link on his journey, and continues to do so all these years later.

You're seriously underrating her importance in the series. Even without Skyward Sword she would be important enough to be in Smash.
She really seems like such a footnote character. Same thing as people mentioning Anna for Fire Emblem to represent the series because she appears in every game (as a kind of Easter egg) and has a minor playable role in awakening.

J@hranimo

Banned
Playtonic Games retweeted this fanmade moveset for Banjo and Kazooie. Looks pretty basic, but still cool:

CCJ16kzW0AAtDaC.jpg

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I support Miku in Smash.

Since you won't have to worry about getting her Amiibo since they'll likely produce 100s of different varieties.

is fl studio a game? is korg-ds a game? is mario paint's music mode a game?

eternal questions

miku needs to be saved for the next sega crossover anyways

To be fair, every Pokemon added to Smash, except Ivysaur, had been a popular and major character in the anime at some point.

If Pokemon were picked by the games, we'd have characters like Machamp and Gardevoir, popular game Pokemon, rather than main characters from the cartoon.

L Thammy

Not sure if this has been discussed already. Both Mewtwo and Lucas' DLC railers used music that is already in SSB4. If further DLC characters are pre-planned, it's quite likely that there's already music for them in the game. After, all it would be weird for, say, Snake to use Nintendo music or for his songs not to be in the game.

Both the trailers for the DLC characters used Brawl music specifically, so that actually widens the net. Sakurai doesn't seem to be picky about using the newest music for the newest characters.

Now, that doesn't necessarily mean anything. And even if it's true, there's a bunch of characters that it could point to. For example, K.Rool's first boss theme is in the game, and Dixie Kong could probably use Mangrove Cove or something. Doesn't tell us much.

But let's look at some of the games that have music in SSB4 without having a character. I think these are interesting:

Mach Rider (Melee Remix)
The Mysterious Murasame Castle Medley (New Remix)
Lip's Theme (Panel de Pon) (Brawl Remix)
Battle Scene / Final Boss (Golden Sun) (Brawl Remix)
The valedictory elegy (New Remix) [From Baten Kaitos Origins]
Marionation Gear (Brawl Remix)
Attack (Soma Bringer) (Original)
Glory of Heracles (New Remix)
PERFORMANCE (Original) [From Jam with the Band]
Tomorrow's Passion (Original) [From Captain Rainbow]
Style Savvy: Trendsetters (New Remix)
Dillon's Rolling Western: The Last Ranger (Original)
ST01 Roll Out, Wonderful 100 (Original)

These aren't all equally likely, but let's look at them. Both Barbara the Bat and Isaac have had their assist trophies removed, but they actually have new music in this game. Weird. The Murasame Medley would be perfect for a Takamaru trailer, and so would Dillon's theme for a Dillon one.

The Baten Kaitos music is really interesting to me. I assumed Namco owned the series, but the Origins is Nintendo-published. I guess because Nintendo was working closely with Namco anyway, they used the opportunity to make use of the music. I don't think it's going to happen, but it would be neat for a Nintendo-Namco collaboration to have a characer from a Nintendo-Namco collaboration. At least, I think Monolith Soft was still mostly owned by Namco at the time. Soma Bringer's another Monolith Soft game, by the way.

Glory of Heracles is a weird thing to include music from. The series is actually owned by Paon; it's an old Data East series from the late '80s. Actually, I'm not sure if this song even comes from the Nintendo-published game. It doesn't seem to be one of the main themes or one of the battle themes.

Captain Rainbow's another interesting one. If I recall, he was one of the most popular suggestions by Japanese fans. It's like their Wonderful 101, I guess, where the character is popular despite no one having bought the game. Anyway. It would have been a good character to appear as an assist trophy, yet it didn't. But we got the music, so the suggestion didn't go totally unheard. Hm.

You can also note characters that don't have music in the game. On the assist trophy front, there's nothing for Saki Amamiya, for instance. Ray Mk III's assist trophy is gone now, but there's no Custom Robo music either.

(Note: I typed this post up during a class, which is why it's so rambly.)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
There should be a rule saying that you are not allowed to play Star Wolf theme unless Wolf is playable in the game.

Rafavert

Not sure if this has been discussed already. Both Mewtwo and Lucas' DLC railers used music that is already in SSB4. If further DLC characters are pre-planned, it's quite likely that there's already music for them in the game. After, all it would be weird for, say, Snake to use Nintendo music or for his songs not to be in the game.

Both the trailers for the DLC characters used Brawl music specifically, so that actually widens the net. Sakurai doesn't seem to be picky about using the newest music for the newest characters.

Now, that doesn't necessarily mean anything. And even if it's true, there's a bunch of characters that it could point to. For example, K.Rool's first boss theme is in the game, and Dixie Kong could probably use Mangrove Cove or something. Doesn't tell us much.

But let's look at some of the games that have music in SSB4 without having a character. I think these are interesting:

These aren't all equally likely, but let's look at them. Both Barbara the Bat and Isaac have had their assist trophies removed, but they actually have new music in this game. Weird. The Murasame Medley would be perfect for a Takamaru trailer, and so would Dillon's theme for a Dillon one.

The Baten Kaitos music is really interesting to me. I assumed Namco owned the series, but the Origins is Nintendo-published. I guess because Nintendo was working closely with Namco anyway, they used the opportunity to make use of the music. I don't think it's going to happen, but it would be neat for a Nintendo-Namco collaboration to have a characer from a Nintendo-Namco collaboration. At least, I think Monolith Soft was still mostly owned by Namco at the time. Soma Bringer's another Monolith Soft game, by the way.

Glory of Heracles is a weird thing to include music from. The series is actually owned by Paon; it's an old Data East series from the late '80s. Actually, I'm not sure if this song even comes from the Nintendo-published game. It doesn't seem to be one of the main themes or one of the battle themes.

Captain Rainbow's another interesting one. If I recall, he was one of the most popular suggestions by Japanese fans. It's like their Wonderful 101, I guess, where the character is popular despite no one having bought the game. Anyway. It would have been a good character to appear as an assist trophy, yet it didn't. But we got the music, so the suggestion didn't go totally unheard. Hm.

You can also note characters that don't have music in the game. On the assist trophy front, there's nothing for Saki Amamiya, for instance. Ray Mk III's assist trophy is gone now, but there's no Custom Robo music either.

(Note: I typed this post up during a class, which is why it's so rambly.)

The additional music and the removal of the AT/Trophy (seriously, there isn't a single trophy of the GS series in Smash) always gave me hope for Isaac...!

Wonderful 101 also has the final boss theme.

There should be a rule saying that you are not allowed to play Star Wolf theme unless Wolf is playable in the game.

The Star Wolf/Sector Z remix is the trolliest troll song since Roy's Hope. It being on Corneria of all stages is even more hilarious, given how close Sector Z and Corneria are in appearance.

"Here's the theme to a cut character and a requested retro stage, ain't I a stinker? lol guys"

It's kind of fun to think of songs for each character though
Wolf - Star Wolf (Assualt)
Roy - Roy's Hope (obviously)
Pichu - Pokemon Stadium 2 (Melee), only Johto song in the game lol
Squirtle - Pokemon Main Theme (Brawl), same as Charizard
Ivysaur - Route 1/Viridian City (Brawl)
K. Rool - Gangplank Galleon
Dixie - Despite her not being in that game, I think they'd use the Rocketbarrel remix. It seems to be the "main" DK song in Smash 4.
Ice Climbers - Icicle Mountain (Melee)
Banjo-Kazooie - Title Screen (Remix) Hypothetical remix of the main theme of Banjo-Kazooie
Snake - Encounter (Brawl). Totally obvious this would be his theme.

Playtonic Games retweeted this fanmade moveset for Banjo and Kazooie. Looks pretty basic, but still cool:

CCJ16kzW0AAtDaC.jpg

This moveset looks extremely generic and offers nothing unique outside of the novelty of being able to play as a Microsoft character. The 90s are over. Rare is not coming back. Banjo is not coming back. STAHP.

Senior Oot

Neo Member
The Star Wolf/Sector Z remix is the trolliest troll song since Roy's Hope. It being on Corneria of all stages is even more hilarious, given how close Sector Z and Corneria are in appearance.

"Here's the theme to a cut character and a requested retro stage, ain't I a stinker? lol guys"

It's kind of fun to think of songs for each character though
Wolf - Star Wolf (Assualt)
Roy - Roy's Hope (obviously)
Pichu - Pokemon Stadium 2 (Melee), only Johto song in the game lol
Squirtle - Pokemon Main Theme (Brawl), same as Charizard
Ivysaur - Route 1/Viridian City (Brawl)
K. Rool - Gangplank Galleon
Dixie - Despite her not being in that game, I think they'd use the Rocketbarrel remix. It seems to be the "main" DK song in Smash 4.
Ice Climbers - Icicle Mountain (Melee)
Banjo-Kazooie - Title Screen (Remix) Hypothetical remix of the main theme of Banjo-Kazooie
Snake - Encounter (Brawl). Totally obvious this would be his theme.

I've been thinking something similar the past few days, but for a few other charcters.

Wonder-Red: Tables Turn (Original). It goes for about a minute before repeating, making it perfect for the trailer.
Isaac: Isaac's Battle Theme. While Venus Lighthouse would be an amazing track, I can't think of a more deserving song than the battle theme for Golden Sun.
Andy: Andy's Anthem. As much as I'd love an Advanced Wars rep, this isn't likely to happen. However, the song is a given for his trailer.

Still don't understand how Stickerbrush Symphony is in smash but not Enchanted Forest. Then again the DKC music selection is a little... weird (hey guys, how many remixes of the same song can we put in!?). The glorious Tropical Freeze soundtrack (based David Wise) is hardy there at all as well...

L Thammy

Then again the DKC music selection is a little... weird (hey guys, how many remixes of the same song can we put in!?).

It's not just DKC. The only new F-Zero music is another remix of Mute City. There's a bunch of new Kirby remixes (of songs we already had remixes of). There are three version of the same Punch-Out song with absolutely nothing from Super Punch-Out. I was actually thinking of making a thread about it.

Still don't understand how Stickerbrush Symphony is in smash but not Enchanted Forest. Then again the DKC music selection is a little... weird (hey guys, how many remixes of the same song can we put in!?). The glorious Tropical Freeze soundtrack (based David Wise) is hardy there at all as well...

What confuses me is why they randomly cut the Map Screen/Bonus Level music from Brawl.

It was a decent remix and wasn't replaced with anything resembling it. It was just straight cut, not like it wouldn't fit on any of the DK levels. Especially since Returns uses the same map song and bonus room themes...

It's not just DKC. The only new F-Zero music is another remix of Mute City. There's a bunch of new Kirby remixes (of songs we already had remixes of). There are three version of the same Punch-Out song with absolutely nothing from Super Punch-Out. I was actually thinking of making a thread about it.

Well... Punch Out (Wii) actually remixes the same theme a dozen times, so it's just part of the series. I'm actually surprised the song wasn't in Smash even more (I would have liked a medley of fighter themes, like Von Kaiser and Super Macho Man)

Gartooth

Banjo-Kazooie moveset looks generic, but it did get the general look and movement of the characters right. It didn't even get into any hijinks with egg types, Breegull Bash, Mumbo's Wrench, or a lot of abilities that they had when separated in Tooie. Having a join/separate mechanic would be cool for them. Banjo could put things in his backpack and Kazooie would have greater mobility. I'd like to call it Stop n' Swap. :p

This moveset looks extremely generic and offers nothing unique outside of the novelty of being able to play as a Microsoft character. The 90s are over. Rare is not coming back. Banjo is not coming back. STAHP.

Gotta love the irony.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member

CCJ16kzW0AAtDaC.jpg

This isn't bad at all! I'd probably try to work in a few more of Banjo's learnable moves from the first two games of his though. Love how they incorporated Dragon Kazooie, even if that might make it too similar to Yoshi but with over 50 characters there's bound to be some overlap.

Edit: As for Banjo's eligibility on the poll...to be fair, as far as we know, every video game character is eligible. Banjo seems as likely as any other third party at least. He'd be my second pick, easily.

Also, Banjo character means Spiral Mountain stage. Do it.

Since I played Tooie with Dragon Kazooie for so long that I started to forget that Kazooie is actually a breegull... I approve of that final smash. Banjo covering his eyes is just icing on the cake :)

I'd rather fight on Rusty Bucket with poisonous water that hurts you while you swim.

It could be a fairly large level, Corneria style. You fight on the length of the boat. It wouldn't really need any additional hazards besides the poisonous water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom