• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

woopWOOP

What Lucas' final smash should be is for him to whistle and summon a Drago to wreck everyone up.

tumblr_ltwchfGI3e1ql48ry.png
Pre-brawl I was actually guessing he'd do something badass like that. Should've figured his final smash was just another borrowed PK spell.

Also I don't think DLC characters not having their own stage to call home will keep them from playable status. ROB never had one, neither did Marth and Roy in Melee. It's not a big deal.

I already voted for Snake. A character owned by Konami and mainly associated with Sony. Who most likely will also never appear in a Smash Bros. game.

Oh wait

"mainly associated with Sony"

Nintendo isn't going to negotiate with their competitors. Konami is one thing, but Microsoft as a direct competitor in hardware development is another. Why would they include Banjo as DLC when they would have to pay Microsoft royalties?

Eh. There's data suggesting they started at least a Dr. Mario stage, and there's the rumor about the Rhythm Heaven one, as well (And a Swapnote one, but on top of them killing the service, the Miiverse stage is probably what the Swapnote one was planned to be. I'm assuming we won't see that). I can see them just trying to finish that one/those 2 as new stage DLC. As much as I'd love to see version-swaps for some stages, like the 3DS getting a new stage for one of the 6 franchises that just got 1 Brawl stage on there, or the Wii U getting the far-superior Pac-Man level, I feel they're just going to stick with 64-Brawl stages, though (I'm guessing Lucas'll come with New Pork City, and that Snake and the Ice Climbers would just bring back their Brawl stages if they got in, as well).
Gerudo Valley, Mute City, Magicant, and Balloon Fight seem like likely stages that could be ported to the Wii U. Similarly, Wii Fit Studio, Mario Galaxy and Wrecking Crew seem like they could be scaled to work on the 3DS. And of course most of the retro levels on the Wii U and all of the 3DS retro levels are fairly easy to cross port.

Neoxon

I already voted for Snake. A character owned by Konami and mainly associated with Sony. Who most likely will also never appear in a Smash Bros. game.

Oh wait
Konami is third party, Microsoft is a first party rival & a direct competitor to Nintendo. Huge difference.

If you want to vote Banjo, go ahead. Just remember that it's a pipe-dream at best. Even Snake's chances aren't looking so hot with what happened with Kojima (the man who got Snake into Brawl).

Crayolan

Playtonic Games retweeted this fanmade moveset for Banjo and Kazooie. Looks pretty basic, but still cool:

CCJ16kzW0AAtDaC.jpg

For a dev-made moveset this is really bland and generic. It doesn't implement enough moves from the actual games and the basic moves don't emulate Banjo's movement in the games either. Like, when does Banjo ever do a flip kick?

Also it's missing a back throw.

And you know, now that I think about it, if Banjo ever were to get into Smash this might not be the entry to do it because he wouldn't be able to use the Split Up ability because of the 3DS. Imagine falling just out of reach of the ledge, then using split up in mid air and sacrificing banjo to get just kazooie back on the stage. That'd be awesome.

Someone made this for the Chorus Kids.

260.gif

Most of the moves were pulled from Rhythm Heaven Fever.

Yea this is basically how I'd imagine the Chorus Kids working, pulling a lot of things from various Rhythm Heaven minigames. I'd still prefer Karate Joe though.

Neoxon

Yea this is basically how I'd imagine the Chorus Kids working, pulling a lot of things from various Rhythm Heaven minigames. I'd still prefer Karate Joe though.
My only gripe is that most of their moves in that gif originate from Rhythm Heaven Fever. Don't get me wrong, I love Rhythm Heaven Fever to death, but I'd imagine that Sakurai would try to balance the GBA, DS & Wii entries in the franchise as far as moves go (maybe a 3DS move or two depending on how things pan out).

Zubz

Banned
For a dev-made moveset this is really bland and generic. It doesn't implement enough moves from the actual games and the basic moves don't emulate Banjo's movement in the games either. Like, when does Banjo ever do a flip kick?

Playtonic didn't make it, they just retweeted it. It's no different than Konami, Ubisoft, and Yacht Club retweeting people saying that they voted for Snake, Rayman, or Shovel Knight, except Playtonic's also retweeting art.

IIRC, Wayforward's the only one that's done more than a splash screen,and even then, they just proposed costume alts that they probably had laying around, anyway.

My only gripe is that most of their moves in that gif originate from Rhythm Heaven Fever. Don't get me wrong, I love Rhythm Heaven Fever to death, but I'd imagine that Sakurai would try to balance the GBA, DS & Wii entries in the franchise as far as moves go (maybe a 3DS move or two depending on how things pan out).
Like he balanced Warioland and WarioWare into Wario's moveset you mean?

Sponge

Banned
"mainly associated with Sony"

Nintendo isn't going to negotiate with their competitors. Konami is one thing, but Microsoft as a direct competitor in hardware development is another. Why would they include Banjo as DLC when they would have to pay Microsoft royalties?

Exactly. Until Phil Spencer responded to someone's tweet, Banjo was out of the question entirely. It's like asking for PaRappa or Kratos to show up in Smash Brothers. Or a better example, asking for WipeOut because it had one game on the N64. Nintendo wouldn't work with a competitor, and Banjo hasn't been in Nintendo's hands since the buyout (the GBA games were published by THQ).

Jumping from impossible, to unlikely is a huge thing for Banjo though. The ball is in Nintendo's court and if enough votes happen, who knows! Banjo's my favorite franchise and I'd love for him to be in Smash.

I don't like how Gonzo's getting called out for liking K. Rool though. Yes, Nintendo hasn't used this character in a game since 2008, but Sakurai has. He's a trophy in this game and the Kremlings are even enemies in Smash Run. If anybody will listen to people who want K. Rool back at this point, it's Sakurai.

Hatchtag

Banned
Someone made this for the Chorus Kids.

260.gif

Most of the moves were pulled from Rhythm Heaven Fever.

I always assumed there'd be multiple of them to allow for some sort of button-timing mechanic, since they're from a rhythym game and all. Plus their name was thought to be Chorus Kids.
Kinda makes me wonder if they got cut for an Ice Climber-like reason really.

R0ckman

The more I see these other devs on twitter begging for people to vote for their characters, the less I'm taking this poll seriously.

Azure J

The more I see these other devs on twitter begging for people to vote for their characters, the less I'm taking this poll seriously.

It's pretty interesting to see Smash hype come from the inside out (devs supporting characters), but stuff like Artix and Rusty is just great for those one off laughs.

Sponge

Banned
While we're talking about Banjo still, My friend Sean is still hard at work on his Banjo render. Here's another peak for you guys.

4zUP61e.jpg

Boney

Banned
You better believe it!

As for the murder of Gunpei, did Sakamoto fire the guy?

go for it.

Yokoi was the actually the boss of Sakamoto and the team behind Nintendo R&D 3 (at least I think it was 3), basically the guys that did the original Metroid and other stuff like Kid Icarus, Famicom Detective and other stuff. Gunpei was an engineer that had been with the company many years before they went into videogames and made toys for Nintendo. He is also the designer of the original Gameboy.

Mr Yokoi was in charge of the Virtual Boy project and after it flopped he resigned from the company, he even went to work for Bandai and designed the Wonderswan to compete with the gameboy. Sadly he was victim of a car accident that took his life little after that

The joke (which is in very poor taste) is that Sakamoto takes credit for creating the Metroid series as he was Director and Game Designer, and I wanna say that he was also in charge of the story. Since Mr Yokoi's death, some crazies think he's buried all references to the original creation of the series in order to appear as the sole creator.

So yeah...

Now that I think about it, I'm salty that we never got Kiki Trick, gonna vote for that Microphone dude

Gartooth

Exactly. Until Phil Spencer responded to someone's tweet, Banjo was out of the question entirely. It's like asking for PaRappa or Kratos to show up in Smash Brothers. Or a better example, asking for WipeOut because it had one game on the N64. Nintendo wouldn't work with a competitor, and Banjo hasn't been in Nintendo's hands since the buyout (the GBA games were published by THQ).

Jumping from impossible, to unlikely is a huge thing for Banjo though. The ball is in Nintendo's court and if enough votes happen, who knows! Banjo's my favorite franchise and I'd love for him to be in Smash.

I don't like how Gonzo's getting called out for liking K. Rool though. Yes, Nintendo hasn't used this character in a game since 2008, but Sakurai has. He's a trophy in this game and the Kremlings are even enemies in Smash Run. If anybody will listen to people who want K. Rool back at this point, it's Sakurai.

Not that I'm saying they're likely or anything, but I think a lot of people tend to focus on the name of the company that owns Banjo-Kazooie more than their relationship with Nintendo.

Even after the buyout Rare still supported Nintendo platforms and worked with the company on remakes/ports of the DKC trilogy and Diddy Kong Racing for handhelds. Beyond that they released a couple of spinoffs for games like Banjo-Kazooie and Viva Pinata on those platforms. Microsoft as well has negotiated with Nintendo before like giving the OK to Nintendo to re-release DK64 unmodified even though it contains a version of Jet Pac. I believe that Phil Spencer was being completely honest when he said that they had a good relationship with Nintendo over Rare stuff, even if the most we may ever see is VC ports of Diddy Kong Racing and maybe the Banjo series.

Gonzo getting called out over Banjo-Kazooie wasn't surprising at all since his reasoning against them could be levied against K. Rool as well to a much greater degree.

Yokoi was the actually the boss of Sakamoto and the team behind Nintendo R&D 3 (at least I think it was 3)

R&D1, actually. Gunpei Yokoi was basically head of Nintendo's original video game development division. Along with the Game Boy, he created its predecessor the Game & Watch, spearheaded development for all of Nintendo's old pre-NES arcade games, handled most of the most notable NES/Famicom releases up until around Nintendo giving Miyamoto his own division (R&D4, now EAD) which created most of the blockbuster hits from then on, after which R&D1 focused on the Game Boy (thus the Kid Icarus and Metroid sequels being Game Boy titles). He was basically Nintendo's original video game ideas guy, the Miyamoto before Miyamoto, and a huge influence on Miyamoto, Sakamoto, and basically everyone else who was there at the time.

He also created the Ultra-Hand for Nintendo back when they were a toy company, which probably ought to be a Smash item, and which, as a long-range grab, would probably basically infuriate everyone.

Sponge

Banned
Not that I'm saying they're likely or anything, but I think a lot of people tend to focus on the name of the company that owns Banjo-Kazooie more than their relationship with Nintendo.

You bet they do. We're out of the Don Mattrick era thankfully. I was surprised when Phil responded to a tweet about Banjo in Smash. Never thought we'd see so much support for Banjo in 2015 :)

Even after the buyout Rare still supported Nintendo platforms and worked with the company on remakes of the DKC trilogy and Diddy Kong Racing. Beyond that they released a couple of spinoffs for games like Banjo-Kazooie and Viva Pinata on those platforms. Microsoft as well has negotiated with Nintendo before like giving the OK to Nintendo to re-release DK64 unmodified even though it contains a version of Jet Pac. I believe that Phil Spencer was being completely honest when he said that they had a good relationship with Nintendo over Rare stuff, even if the most we may ever see is VC ports of Diddy Kong Racing and maybe the Banjo series.

Microsoft let Rare put a lot of games on the GBA and THQ published them since Microsoft wasn't competing in the handheld market. Diddy Kong Racing DS is a good example of Rare and Nintendo's relationship. Besides Diddy, Dixie, Tiny and Krunch, all the characters in that game are own by Rare. Microsoft wasn't using them and had no plans to, so of course they had no problems with Rare and Nintendo using them. This is why Banjo wasn't in that game. Nuts & Bolts was right around the corner. Conker didn't return for obvious reasons. Jetpac still being in DK64, and the KI arcade cabinets still showing up in DKC2 shows Nintendo is still talking to Microsoft/Rare in some fashion. Reeeally hope that means we can get Banjo on the VC one day, or at the very least Diddy Kong Racing.

Gonzo getting called out over Banjo-Kazooie wasn't surprising at all since his reasoning against them could be levied against K. Rool as well to a much greater degree.

I was just as quick to slam down support for Banjo before the tweet. I thought it was hopeless to even hope for a console competitor to even show up in Smash. K. Rool has it a bit easier since his rights are over at Nintendo, but admittedly he's got some obstacles to face. Relevancy is the biggest one people mention. I think he'll be fine considering Kremlings returned for the first time since 2008. Claiming Banjo doesn't have a shot because Rare's dead is silly. That shouldn't matter if enough people vote.

Gartooth

You bet they do. We're out of the Don Mattrick era thankfully. I was surprised when Phil responded to a tweet about Banjo in Smash. Never thought we'd see so much support for Banjo in 2015 :)

Microsoft let Rare put a lot of games on the GBA and THQ published them since Microsoft wasn't competing in the handheld market. Diddy Kong Racing DS is a good example of Rare and Nintendo's relationship. Besides Diddy, Dixie, Tiny and Krunch, all the characters in that game are own by Rare. Microsoft wasn't using them and had no plans to, so of course they had no problems with Rare and Nintendo using them. This is why Banjo wasn't in that game. Nuts & Bolts was right around the corner. Conker didn't return for obvious reasons. Jetpac still being in DK64, and the KI arcade cabinets still showing up in DKC2 shows Nintendo is still talking to Microsoft/Rare in some fashion. Reeeally hope that means we can get Banjo on the VC one day, or at the very least Diddy Kong Racing.

I was just as quick to slam down support for Banjo before the tweet. I thought it was hopeless to even hope for a console competitor to even show up in Smash. K. Rool has it a bit easier since his rights are over at Nintendo, but admittedly he's got some obstacles to face. Relevancy is the biggest one people mention. I think he'll be fine considering Kremlings returned for the first time since 2008. Claiming Banjo doesn't have a shot because Rare's dead won't matter if enough people vote.

I think saying a character is too "90's" is a stupid complaint anyway since Smash is overloaded with forgotten 80's characters. Those characters are thrown in there as fan service to Nintendo fans who grew up with those games, but at this point the SNES and N64 themselves are ancient in that you now have generations of Nintendo fans who grew up with characters from that time.

Sponge

Banned
I think saying a character is too "90's" is a stupid complaint anyway since Smash is overloaded with forgotten 80's characters. Those characters are thrown in there as fan service to Nintendo fans who grew up with those games, but at this point the SNES and N64 themselves are ancient in that you now have generations of Nintendo fans who grew up with characters from that time.

I can't stand when 90's is used as an excuse. Makes absolutely no sense to me.

Have you guys shown Playtonic yet? They're pretty likely to retweet it if you do!

If Sean doesn't when he finishes, I know I'm gonna.

Are Sega, Capcom, Konami, and Namco not competitors?
No, they aren't. They are multiplatform agencies that could make games for Nintendo. Capcom's top franchise, Monster Hunter, is exclusive to Nintendo systems these days. Namco is one of the very few developers that bothers to port many of their titles to the Wii U, and they are making a Pokemon fighting game for Nintendo.

Konami is in the past, so it isn't really relevant here. However, Konami has brought some things to Nintendo systems. I suspect Snake was more about Sakurai and Kojima being friends than anything else.

Nothing like this exists with Microsoft. There is no potential for a symbiotic relationship. Nintendo wants to work with and help multiplatform developers, which is why Namco got to use Nintendo outfits for TTT2. There is literally nothing for Nintendo to gain from helping Microsoft's IP. The situation is not analogous at all.

It is simply not true that multiplatform developers are in competition with Nintendo. If they were, Nintendo would just lock third party developers out from developing games for their system. That isn't how the industry works, though. I would not be surprised if the next Megaman game was a Nintendo exclusive, especially since MML3 was going to be.

Edit: Also, Sega and Nintendo have a fantastic relationship. Olympic Games is a great example, and Sega brings most of their stuff to Nintendo systems. Don't you think Sega was happy when Nintendo decided to finance Bayonetta 2, a Sega IP?

Quoting for the new page, because I want people to understand that Banjo has no chance.

No, they aren't. They are multiplatform agencies that could make games for Nintendo. Capcom's top franchise, Monster Hunter, is exclusive to Nintendo systems these days. Namco is one of the very few developers that bothers to port many of their titles to the Wii U, and they are making a Pokemon fighting game for Nintendo.

Konami is in the past, so it isn't really relevant here. However, Konami has brought some things to Nintendo systems. I suspect Snake was more about Sakurai and Kojima being friends than anything else.

Nothing like this exists with Microsoft. There is no potential for a symbiotic relationship. Nintendo wants to work with and help multiplatform developers, which is why Namco got to use Nintendo outfits for TTT2. There is literally nothing for Nintendo to gain from helping Microsoft's IP. The situation is not analogous at all.

It is simply not true that multiplatform developers are in competition with Nintendo. If they were, Nintendo would just lock third party developers out from developing games for their system. That isn't how the industry works, though. I would not be surprised if the next Megaman game was a Nintendo exclusive, especially since MML3 was going to be.

Edit: Also, Sega and Nintendo have a fantastic relationship. Olympic Games is a great example, and Sega brings most of their stuff to Nintendo systems. Don't you think Sega was happy when Nintendo decided to finance Bayonetta 2, a Sega IP?

Richie

Quoting for the new page, because I want people to understand that Banjo has no chance.

As for what Nintendo could gain...Rare's games in the VC, remakes in the 3DS? It -could- be a win-win situation if the right chitchat took place...

Damn Phil for giving me hope for something Sakurai likely laughed off seconds after considering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom