• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Platinum games are overrated as fuck

The day a Platinum character makes it before a Treasure one is the day Sakurai dies to me.

Considering the only Treasure developed game owned by Nintendo is Sin & Punishment, and Saki is already an assist trophy, plus I see more people voting Wonder-Red (and Bayo) than Saki..

NeonZ

and Fire Emblem a game hardly anyone knows about has a total of 4 right now.

Fire Emblem Awakening is a million seller. Obviously it's not on the level of Nintendo's high tier franchises, but 3d Returns did barely better than it (1.5 vs 1.4 millions) and Tropical Freeze did much worse (although obviously the later is weighted down by the Wii U)
So he is very unlikely candidate, especially considering the huge support for newcomers.

And yet we're getting Lucas, who was hardly a fan favorite in Smash or outside it... I'm pretty sure that being easier to implement is weighting on the DLC choices. We probably will get a new comer too, but at this point I won't be surprised if most are veterans.

woopWOOP

Roy is someone I feel who's chances are underestimated. He's a highly requested character who just happens to be an easy character to work with. I believe that veterans will be prioritized over newcomers (they take relatively little work in comparisons to newcomers) and after Wolf, I believe that Roy could very well be next in line should there be a fourth veteran. Being a highly popular character after all of these years and despite many people lambasting Roy for being a "Marth clone", "terrible in Fire Emblem 6", "not relevant" is not something to brush aside and even as a Marth clone, Roy would still be well received simply because of how fun he was to play with in Melee.
You forgot "too many FE characters already!", which I don't think really applies to bringing back veterans anyway (which is why I think Pichu still has a shot too).

Roy may be a Marth clone, but unlike Lucina his attacks have a lot of different properties (with a nice fire effect to boot). If the team went through the trouble of including Mario's old down B attack for Dr. Mario, I'm assuming Roy will keep the old shield buster motion. All this put together will make him a different enough character for the roster I think. I don't think a lot of people are keen on coughing up 5 bucks for clone characters, but Roy has his veteran status backing him up. So I think he makes a decent chance of becoming DLC, yeah.

Fire Emblem Awakening is a million seller. Obviously it's not on the level of Nintendo's high tier franchises, but 3d Returns did barely better than it (1.5 vs 1.4 millions) and Tropical Freeze did much worse (although obviously the later is weighted down by the Wii U)
FE is definitely an up and coming franchise for Nintendo, which is funny considering how old it is. Thanks to Smash and Awakening, it's finally getting its due.

Golnei

tumblr_inline_nmlfc6hShL1rh64ld_540.png

And yet we're getting Lucas, who was hardly a fan favorite in Smash or outside it... I'm pretty sure that being easier to implement is weighting on the DLC choices. We probably will get a new comer too, but at this point I won't be surprised if most are veterans.

FE's current success is modest but undeniable; however I still doubt it'd lead to any further playable representation in Smash. Especially when the character in question is relatively unpopular both in Smash itself and his original series; and would lead to a third mostly unchanged iteration of the Marth moveset. Lucas is similarly obscure, but his greater popularity / more iconic status within his franchise, presence in Brawl (and presumably early production for 4) and much more unique moveset were likely contributing factors in his choice as a DLC veteran, alongside the ease of implementation you noted. I'm also of the mindset we'll mainly be seeing veterans, but Roy and Pichu probably won't be among them so long as Wolf and Ivysaur/Squirtle remain options.

oh boy.... this is interesting

Well, neither of them have an impressive track record. W101 and S&P's Smash representation far outweighs what trainwrecks like those deserve - they should have brought back stickers purely to mock them.

L Thammy

Well, neither of them have an impressive track record. W101 and S&P's Smash representation far outweighs what trainwrecks like those deserve - they should have brought back stickers purely to mock them.

I assume you're talking about "trainwrecks" as in "sales disasters". The Wonderful 101's issues I get. Even in the final game, there's a lot to annoy action game fans. QTE-heavy boss battles, constant gameplay shifts, enemies that sometimes require specific tactics to defeat, etc.

But I have no idea how Sin & Punishment is a trainwreck unless you just weren't expecting a rail shooter. Or you somehow came into it for the plot.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I assume you're talking about "trainwrecks" as in "sales disasters". The Wonderful 101's issues I get. Even in the final game, there's a lot to annoy action game fans. QTE-heavy boss battles, constant gameplay shifts, enemies that sometimes require specific tactics to defeat, etc.

But I have no idea how Sin & Punishment is a trainwreck unless you just weren't expecting a rail shooter. Or you somehow came into it for the plot.

What's wrong with that last one? Shouldn't that be a good thing for action games? You can't just have the same tactics again and again, it would get boring.
Also, the boss fights aren't that QTE heavy. Platinum are one of the only companies to get QTE right.

Golnei

What's wrong with that last one? Shouldn't that be a good thing for action games? You can't just have the same tactics again and again, it would get boring.

I'm assuming 'specific tactics' in this case means some enemies can only be dealt with in a limited manner, such as the spiked armour requiring Unite Whip, or the bomb being necessary to slow some enemies. It's not necessarily about requiring the player to change tactics, but arbitrarily limiting the sandbox of combat, which is always a thing that should be avoided in action games. It's telling that among the many, many transgressions of DmC, the colour-coded enemies were one of the most common complaints and one of the first known alterations in the rerelease.

This discussion makes me realise we DON'T have a true grappler in Smash after the Ice Climbers went our. And who better to take that position than Marina Lightyears?
Shake Shake motherfuckers

I'd actually love that. But wouldn't Square-Enix own that IP right now?

L Thammy

You could probably say that the gameplay shifts were there to keep things from being repetitive, but a lot of people complain about them. People are primarily there to enjoy the battle system, experimenting with combos and such. Enemies like Megang can feel restrictive. Not necessarily for everybody, but for some people.

Also, the boss fights aren't that QTE heavy. Platinum are one of the only companies to get QTE right.

Maybe you did enjoy them. I didn't enjoy them at all. Again, it's something that takes you away from enjoying the battle system.

Y'all need to quit it with this "not happening because AT" nonsense. The one time it's open ballot with no other qualification than "if they were in a [NIntendo?] video game", everyone wants to make arbitrary calls on what to vote for or not. Worst part is this is stunting the support that certain characters could get as a result.

Furthermore with that mentality, I wonder if anyone should get in bar obscurities like Mike Jones and Lip. What are you going to do about all those character trophies already in game? :p
I never said that you shouldn't support AT or boss characters like Takamaru and Ridley; in fact I would encourage people to vote to show that you feel the character deserve a playable role over what they ended up getting so that it increases chance of consideration. But you really shouldn't get your hopes up for them to be DLC this game; you should be using this opportunity to build up a fan base for Smash 6. Remember that the Smash Ballot will have an impact there.
Fire Emblem has too many reps to begin with, and your forgetting the possibilities of skins as well. Roy could just end up being a sin for Ike, which I have no problem with. So he is very unlikely candidate, especially considering the huge support for newcomers.

I believe Inklings are already planned as DLC, considering we have Lucas returning we have 2 old comers. But then we have a Smash Ballot come out of nowhere, were you could vote for newcomers? Especially with Zelda U being delayed and not shown at E3, I bet we will see a newcomer at E3 for DLC, and that will most likely be Inklings. (I still voted for them nonetheless.)

As much as I don't want to see Banjo Kazooie in Smash (and as much as I want them to be in Nintendo hands again.) They are a likely possibility considering Phil Spencer's willingness to let them in. Still my opinion is to let Nintendo port the original 2 games to the 3DS also or bust.

Same goes for Metal Gear Solid, snake had a Gamecube and 3DS game but no more support then that. Seeing the predicament Kojima is in at the moment, I doubt Snake will make a comeback. Granted, he never really felt like he fit in Smash in the first place because Snake is usually seen as a Playstation character.

Dixie Kong, Krystal, and Bandanna Dee are plausible, but odds are the K Rool will be put in smash. He is a popular choice for both Japan and the United States, people wanted him since Melee, and Donkey Kong has very little reps considering that it's one of Nintendo's most well known IP's. Hell Kirby has 3 chararacters, and Fire Emblem a game hardly anyone knows about has a total of 4 right now. K Rool feels like a given at this point.

The problem I believe we are at right now is that we see that there are slots and will be bickering with each other who should be added. Slots never truly exist, but whoever ends up being put in people will complain.
I don't think Sakurai cares about over-representation of characters as much as we think. Remember that Kid Icarus, despite being a significantly less important franchise, has more characters than Donkey Kong, Metroid, and (at least until probably E3) Star Fox; all franchises that have been very significant in video games. Also it's worth noting that veterans have received huge support; Mewtwo and Lucas were the most wanted characters prior to their confirmation and I would say Wolf is probably the most wanted as well (the only reason why he's not absolutely destroying polls is because he's super obvious and many people are putting their votes towards someone who aren't such a sure thing). Roy, Snake, and Ice Climbers are also highly requested characters which goes to show how many people miss veterans. In comparison, the only consistently highly requested newcomers are King K. Rool, Isaac, and Banjo-Kazooie although I can certainly see Inklings up there. Others I feel are popular in one place but less wanted elsewhere (Wonder Red for one is popular in here, but less wanted elsewhere). It's also worth noting that veterans will take up much less work than newcomers, given how Mewtwo and Lucas are mostly the same, which puts veterans at an advantage for consideration.

I don't think Inklings will be added merely for glorified advertisement; there's no guarantees that the franchise will be a critical or commercially successful and if it were to bomb, I don't think NIntendo would want to believe that they wasted a spot on a character that could have gone to someone else. Rather I feel they are waiting to see how Splatoon does and then decide from there whenever or not they should be added so I don't think we will see them at E3 (or any newcomers for that matter). If they do well thought, I expect them to be the first DLC newcomer announced. But we'll see what happens.

I can't see Banjo-Kazooie being DLC at all. There is a really high opportunity cost when it comes to acquiring a first-party Microsoft character that is competing with Nintendo and it's simply much easier to add characters that are owned by Nintendo (or even third-parties). Spencer saying he's okay with Banjo being in Smash is almost certainly a publicity stunt and there's no indication Nintendo thinks the same as well. Plus Nintendo has bad relationships with the video game industry and we should be reminded they botched the chance to get Goldeneye 007 onto the Virtual Console.

Having said that, I'll probably be happy with whatever happens at this rate, so long as they don't pull a PR move and say "Chorus Kids was added because of the Smash Ballot" or something like that or otherwise put in ridiculous third-party suggestions.

L Thammy

Mewtwo's as much a grapple character as anyone else in Smash, at least in Melee. It may be changed for 4.

Is Popeye public domain?

Interesting question. Let's see what Wikipedia says:

Wikipedia said:
On January 1, 2009, 70 years since the death of his creator, Segar's character of Popeye (though not the various films, TV shows, theme music and other media based on him) became public domain[5] in most countries, but remains under copyright in the United States. Because Segar was an employee of King Features Syndicate when he created the Popeye character for the company's Thimble Theatre strip, Popeye is treated as a work for hire under U.S. copyright law. Works for hire are protected for 95 years from publication or 120 years from creation, whichever is shorter. Since Popeye made his first appearance in January 1929, and all U.S. copyrights expire on December 31 of the year that the term ends, Popeye will not enter the public domain in the U.S. until January 1, 2025 (assuming that no further term extensions are passed into law in the interim).

kirby_fox

Banned
I realized this marketing ploy is either going to end poorly, or fantastically.

If they only add say 3-6 characters, and put emphasis on some of the cut characters- I have a feeling you'll see a ton of disappointed fans.

If instead they see all these character requests, and continue support for Smash making it more of a platform itself-- Nintendo will win over fans. It'd be insane to see the game turn into a Rock Band like title with the ability to download your fave character as a fighter.

At that point, I'd welcome pretty much any character into the series.

Pizza

Tbh, Banjo Kazooie is a cool retro character, and a '90s Nintendo icon and I think he deserves a spot on the roster. He may have not had a good game since he was on a Nintendo console, but the same could be said for Sonic.

Wonder Red is a character I want, because unless Nintendo starts funding sequels, I think it'll be similar to Earthbound on the SNES (long-lasting niche popularity) and I think the dlc is a perfect chance to try and shoehorn him into the series forever! I'd love to see him be as obscure and rad as Ness in ten years!

Gartooth

The GoldenEye situation was pretty dumb. TBH

As the story went Rare, Microsoft, Nintendo, and Activision were all in on it and as the game neared completion Nintendo did a heelturn and canceled the whole thing. No idea what made it fall through since we never got the full story, most I've heard is that financial details couldn't be worked out. At least Perfect Dark got an XBLA release to make up for it.

Fire Emblem has too many reps to begin with, and your forgetting the possibilities of skins as well. Roy could just end up being a sin for Ike, which I have no problem with. So he is very unlikely candidate, especially considering the huge support for newcomers.
Vets can't be alt skins, and even if they could be, making him a skin versus making him a character is a meaningless change for some arbitrary "slots" nonsense. The amount of work to go from alt to character is so minimal it's silly to even humor making him an alt. Which he can't be anyway.

Roy actually seems to be getting as much attention as most new comers. He's seriously underrated on Neogaf for some reason, other communities he's at least in the top ten, sometimes higher.

Azure J

This discussion makes me realise we DON'T have a true grappler in Smash after the Ice Climbers went our. And who better to take that position than Marina Lightyears?

Shake Shake motherfuckers

One of the secret best picks ever but I don't know how that IP is handled at all.

I never said that you shouldn't support AT or boss characters like Takamaru and Ridley; in fact I would encourage people to vote to show that you feel the character deserve a playable role over what they ended up getting so that it increases chance of consideration. But you really shouldn't get your hopes up for them to be DLC this game; you should be using this opportunity to build up a fan base for Smash 6. Remember that the Smash Ballot will have an impact there.

Oh, whoops. Sounds like we're on the same page. I'm just getting a little wary of most discussion on the matter sounding like people making definitive statements on the subject where there are no real rules in place. Supporting folks like Takamaru is more about securing long run prospects than seeing something happen now, but it would certainly be neat to hear that it could happen after all. :lol

The GoldenEye situation was pretty dumb. TBH

As the story went Rare, Microsoft, Nintendo, and Activision were all in on it and as the game neared completion Nintendo did a heelturn and canceled the whole thing. No idea what made it fall through since we never got the full story, most I've heard is that financial details couldn't be worked out. At least Perfect Dark got an XBLA release to make up for it.
It was mostly that Nintendo was getting the worst end of the stick on the deal. XBLA got a remake, Activision got a new game, Nintendo got a VC release of the old game. Until they got something better, they weren't willing to participate.

Still shitty, but reasonably so.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Is that the only QTE in the game? I don't see where that was mentioned.

No, but they're pretty much streamlined not to disrupt the flow and the only time it is treated as a cutscene action is the finale.

Interesting question. Let's see what Wikipedia says:

So in short, if Sakurai wants Popeye in, he has to ask the government for permission? Unless King Features still exist.

The smash DLC I'd like most is new stages, N64 retro stages as my personal highest priority.

HD remake of Kirby's Fountain as personal dream DLC.

Ryce

I'm weirdly apathetic about stages in general. If we get more, cool, but they're not something I'd actively campaign for. I just want more characters.

The smash DLC I'd like most is new stages, N64 retro stages as my personal highest priority.

HD remake of Kirby's Fountain as personal dream DLC.

N64:
- Peach's Castle
- Dream Land
- Saffron City

Melee:
- Yoshi's Story
- Fountain of Dreams
- Fourside

Brawl:
- Yoshi's Island
- WarioWare, Inc.
- Summit

The Smash DLC I'd like the most is
stage hazard toggle

This has to be coming. These stages already exist, even on the 3DS, but are only used for 8 Player Smash and All Star, and they keep adding more of them (looks like Boxing Ring and Wuhu Island are next for this).

I think rather than make people download all the maps all over again, they're slowly phasing in the hazard free versions over time so it isn't a massive download.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom