• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also Age of Empires had a DS game

Suddenly it's not funny when they direct it to your fave character, eh?

And frankly, this behavior IS typical of smash fans like spring loaded said, i sure know i have endured tons of shitting on my fave character, Jigglypuff, by smash fans,

?? I hate the W101 lol.

Why is it a thing that K. Rool is some horrible Bowser rip off anyway?

Bowser's the one who's incredibly formulaic and generic with little to no discernible personality. K. Rool actually does new things when he comes back.

Is it really because of that ancient Mario cartoon? Did people actually like that crap?

You want to fight as THIS???

davey_tortoise_2014_by_dirtfalco48-d7edhx0.png

Village

you do realize

that was the joke

...right?

Man, you totally burned me. #SALT LOL! Unlike you, I'm actually self aware. I'm sure you'd like K. Rool better if he looked like a recolored version of Sonic the Hedgehog.

My statement was also a joke? I was messing with you? Sorry jeez,

And as far as recolored sonic's go. As much as I want scourge the hedgehog, gretest poochie of all time to be in smash. He belongs to ken penders fanfiction trunk now. But that's another conversation. So no sonic recolors.

Totally up for shadow though.

And frankly, this behavior IS typical of smash fans like spring loaded said, i sure know i have endured tons of shitting on my fave character, Jigglypuff, by smash fans,

K. Rool is doing well in the ballot, so they view him as "the enemy". Prior to the release of Smash 4, GAF had me convinced that nobody gave a shit about K. Rool. Now that the exit polls are proving otherwise, he's suddenly "overrated" and anybody who supports him has "bad taste".

I don't really care at this point, since I knew what I was getting into when I posted that picture. Ultimately Sakurai has the final say, so I guess we'll find out soon enough!

Eila

Quote would be the perfect indie representative. A bunch of different weapons available. He's been on wii, DS, 3DS (twice).

J@hranimo

Banned
Just vote with your heart, this doesn't cost anything.

I voted for Wonder Red and while others did too, I don't see much of a chance of him making it.

But based on Sakurai, he will take peoples' opinions to mind but ultimately choose a character that fits the game and his vision.

Go for it.

I cosign this sentiment. I voted for Rayman, because he is actually one of my favorite series...it just so happens Omni trolled most of his with his elaborate fake. I know he has no real chance to get in, but I want to say why at least I would think he is a cool character that would have a unique moveset.

I voted K. Rool second cause I realized DK needs a 3rd rep asap.

Rooligan

Neo Member
You were saying?

Do his moveset or primary appearances take any inspiration from those games? He's just making generic animal noises and is busy rehashing his boss fights in the main games.

This was Bowser's disgusting appearance back when K. Rool was actually making his primary ones.

Bowser-super-mario-64-13614121-640-480.jpg

Village

K. Rool is doing well in the ballot, so they view him as "the enemy".
We have no idea

A few enthusiast sites are not reflective of all the people who buy smash and who may be voting in this. See the reaction to lucario vs Lucario's actual popularity. Smash fans have this thing with being out of the loop with whats actually relevant to be people and being surprised at inclusions and lack there of.

And you have made a delusional "them vs K rool" argument

It is time to maybe stop posting

Prior to the release of Smash 4, GAF had me convinced that nobody gave a shit about K. Rool. Now that the exit polls are proving otherwise, he's suddenly "overrated" and anybody who supports him has "bad taste".
Noting is proving anything because we have no proof of anything

I don't really care at this point, since I knew what I was getting into when I posted that picture. Ultimately Sakurai has the final say, so I guess we'll find out soon enough!
You seem to care alot actually. You keep referencing data that doesn't exist.

Puruzi

Banned
Do his moveset or primary appearances take any inspiration from those games? He's just making generic animal noises and is busy rehashing his boss fights in the main games.

This was Bowser's disgusting appearance back when K. Rool was actually making his primary ones.

Bowser-super-mario-64-13614121-640-480.jpg

"Bowser's the one who's incredibly formulaic and generic with little to no discernible personality. K. Rool actually does new things when he comes back."

K. Rool isn't even in smash. You were clearly not talking about smash in that post. Don't change your argument.

And that still looks better than K Rool.

We have no idea

A few enthusiast sites are not reflective of all the people who buy smash and who may be voting in this. See the reaction to lucario vs Lucario's actual popularity. Smash fans have this thing with being out of the loop with whats actually relevant to be people and being surprised at inclusions and lack there of.
Who do you think is voting? Casuals who want Shadow the Hedgehog and Goku? I've seen enough anecdotal evidence to suggest that K. Rool is doing well. That doesn't necessarily mean he's going to win, but it's naive to dismiss his popularity as not being genuine because it doesn't fit your arbitrarily crafted idea of who might be voting. Just because there is no statistical evidence (yet) doesn't mean we don't have a good idea of which characters are popular and which characters aren't. Of course, because that doesn't fit your narrative, you're going to pretend that the ballot is up for grabs and even a character like Rouge the Bat could win because we have no "evidence" to prove otherwise. Devil's advocacy doesn't work when you're unable to provide any proof of your own.

And you have made a delusional "them vs K rool" argument
It's not "delusional" if it's grounded in reality.

It would be unfair to generalize the entire forum when there are plenty of K. Rool supporters here, but the detractors like yourself are extremely vocal to the point where you'll reply with a condescending remark every time the character is mentioned.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I always wondered if the "Kaptain K. Rool is K. Rool's brother!" was actually part of the Japanese DKC canon? Like, you know, a weird dub change which happened all the time in those days, usually the other way around though.

Or since the DKC cartoon was apparently popular in Japan, was whoever wrote the Trophy thinking of that, where the Pirate Captain was a separate character from K. Rool, and somehow misremembered them as being brothers?

Do you guys think that submitting a vote for an inventive character idea is throwing it away?
Like, would it really be read and could it inspire the staff, or it would be ignored in favor of votes for more popular characters?

Unless you're voting for an anime character or something, I don't think anyone's vote is "wasted", and I think it's very rude to tell that to someone.

For one, this isn't a single winner poll with a set ballot as far as I know. I imagine this is more of a popularity survey, and, honestly, if you vote for a lesser character, even if he doesn't get into Smash, well, there's always the possibility Nintendo might take notice and try to include that character more in future games, not just Smash. Take Wonder Red...maybe Nintendo seeing all the votes for him will reconsider how "poor" Wonderful 101 sold, or hell, even people around the net who didn't care about the game might buy it now to see what the fuss is about. Hell, even Banjo, I think Microsoft are paying attention to how many people want to see him again and might just decide to revive the character in a legitimate way, if they weren't planning it already. And really, if you "waste" a vote...so? You supported a character you legitimately enjoy, and that should feel good, right? Just showing your love for a character whose games you love to play. Plus, there doesn't seem to be really any serious barrier to voting multiple times. I did, haha.

And if you're one of the people who think others are wasting their vote, well, just consider that a positive for the character you want as they have one less vote towards a legitimate contender.

Symphonic

Anyone else genuinely surprised by the amount of K. Rool supporters? I mean I guess I never played any Donkey Kong games hardcore-like, but when I did I never gave two shits about anyone who wasn't DK.

For one, this isn't a single winner poll with a set ballot as far as I know. I imagine this is more of a popularity survey, and, honestly, if you vote for a lesser character, even if he doesn't get into Smash, well, there's always the possibility Nintendo might take notice and try to include that character more in future games, not just Smash.

This right here.
I don't think this is a pure popularity contest, i.e. most voted character gets in, but just a survey to see where interests of the Smash fans lie.
And who knows, Nintendo might look at some even low votecount characters and think "Hey, this character is actually really cool, and there's some great ideas for them, maybe we can consider that".

That's why I voted for Captain Syrup. I know that, popularity-wise, she has absolutely not a single chance to make it. But maybe Sakurai or somebody else sees some of the suggestions that are made for her and thinks "Man, I really like this idea". Or perhaps they can introduce her into other games. Imagine how cool it would be to have Wario Land characters, and particularly Syrup, appear in Mario spin-off games? Even lore-wise it would make sense, in her first appearance she stole a statue of Peach.

Galamauth

Anyone else genuinely surprised by the amount of K. Rool supporters? I mean I guess I never played any Donkey Kong games hardcore-like, but when I did I never gave two shits about anyone who wasn't DK.
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. DKC 1&2 were good, I love DKC2 and all, but I like Jungle Beat way more. Never saw anything special in K.Rool and I'd much rather have one of these cool evil boss Kongs.
DRTYLUv.jpg

At least they have awesome designs and I wouldn't even mind if they were half-clones of DK sorta like Wolf would be to Fox/Falco.

Sponge

Banned

How on earth did you make it through Donkey Kong Country 2?

You're surprised that the most recurrent villain not yet playable in Super Smash Bros. has a fanbase? If you can't see the potential after watching this video, then I don't know what to tell you.

Watch Da Birdie

I was thinking today, in the original Donkey Kong Country Trilogy King K. Rool actually didn't get that much exposure...he wasn't featured on the box-art as I recall, and I don't think any of the manuals showed what he looked like. Hell, as a kid, the only fight I reached with him was in DKC, the only reason I knew what he looked like in the other games was because I had the Strategy Guide.

If I remember correctly, you never even saw him till the very end of the game and, because of how the games were fairly difficult, I wonder if a few kids never even knew what he actually looked like till Donkey Kong 64 put him cutscenes throughout the game? Or they watched the cartoon, but I remember it airing at really weird, early hours and barely ever saw it when it was on.

I honestly do think he's a character whose popularity is specifically coming from hardcore Nintendo fans. I want him in because I like the Donkey Kong Series, but truth be told I do feel he's reliant on his series popularity far more than a lot of other villains. Like, nobody cared that he was featured in the Paon Jungle Climber games, and nobody seemed excited for his appearance in Mario Baseball...and I think that's because those games just weren't that good, although I found them decent, and he on his own isn't that great of a character. I could see Bowser, Ganondorf, hell, even Wolf, getting their own games, and doing quite well, but not in a million years could I see a King K. Rool game actually being something people would buy on the character alone.

Richie

Just vote with your heart, this doesn't cost anything.

I voted for Wonder Red and while others did too, I don't see much of a chance of him making it.

But based on Sakurai, he will take peoples' opinions to mind but ultimately choose a character that fits the game and his vision.

Go for it.

The Great Mighty, thanks a bunch man. You speak sense, and have good taste to boot; I'd love if Wonder Red made it in. Can you imagine the glorious chaos a Wonderful 101 stage would bring? Plus, as someone once pitched in one of the various Smash threads, it'd be awesome if he had a Codec/Guidance equivalent by greeting all of the Smashers. Y'know, his ""If it isn't" moments.

Unless you're voting for an anime character or something, I don't think anyone's vote is "wasted", and I think it's very rude to tell that to someone.

For one, this isn't a single winner poll with a set ballot as far as I know. I imagine this is more of a popularity survey, and, honestly, if you vote for a lesser character, even if he doesn't get into Smash, well, there's always the possibility Nintendo might take notice and try to include that character more in future games, not just Smash. Take Wonder Red...maybe Nintendo seeing all the votes for him will reconsider how "poor" Wonderful 101 sold, or hell, even people around the net who didn't care about the game might buy it now to see what the fuss is about. Hell, even Banjo, I think Microsoft are paying attention to how many people want to see him again and might just decide to revive the character in a legitimate way, if they weren't planning it already. And really, if you "waste" a vote...so? You supported a character you legitimately enjoy, and that should feel good, right? Just showing your love for a character whose games you love to play. Plus, there doesn't seem to be really any serious barrier to voting multiple times. I did, haha.

And if you're one of the people who think others are wasting their vote, well, just consider that a positive for the character you want as they have one less vote towards a legitimate contender.

Thank you plenty for the thoughtful reply. Oh, no, I'd never think others are wasting their votes, nor would I be rude enough to tell that to anyone. I was strictly thinking about myself. You see, I love me some Wonder Red. I love me some Banjo Kazooie. But at the same time, this Poll thing is unprecedented and it's very tempting to try and submit more out there ideas for it. Like, imagine a Yoshi & Babies with moveset entirely different from that of vanilla Yoshi, as the Yoshi series' second rep! Or a playable, rescaled version of Master Hand, to commemorate the series itself! Ya know, stuff that really no one is gonna vote for because it's not just namedropping an established character, but which would be cool to see, at least personally.

Ultimately though, you're right, we can vote several times, no? I'm over-thinking this something mad hahaha, I can vote for Wonder Red, Banjo, and cuckoo ideas too.

That's why I voted for Captain Syrup. I know that, popularity-wise, she has absolutely not a single chance to make it. But maybe Sakurai or somebody else sees some of the suggestions that are made for her and thinks "Man, I really like this idea". Or perhaps they can introduce her into other games. Imagine how cool it would be to have Wario Land characters, and particularly Syrup, appear in Mario spin-off games? Even lore-wise it would make sense, in her first appearance she stole a statue of Peach.

Oh hell yeah, Captain Syrup is my jaaaaam!! In a perfect world, we'd have Wario, a Ware rep, and Captain Syrup :p

Rooligan

Neo Member
I was thinking today, in the original Donkey Kong Country Trilogy King K. Rool actually didn't get that much exposure...he wasn't featured on the box-art as I recall, and I don't think any of the manuals showed what he looked like.

He's the most recurring character in the series to consistently show up in major roles, despite him not showing up in the games developed by Retro. He was the main villain in every game up until then save for Jungle Beat, which nobody liked anyway.

Is DK not relevant for being the damsel in DKC2 and 3? You don't see him until the end of the game in those.

R0ckman

To be honest the votes probably wont make much of a difference, it seems Sakurai can decide if a character's unworthy with one prejudgement. Obviously the more bottom of the barrel he gets the more he'll have to compromise his views. I think its glaring that Sakurai hasn't even made a comment on K. Rool all these years.

DLC puts him in a situation where he has to look at ATs that were originally characters who in some cases, fan favorites that didn't make the dev bench. DLC was one of those things Sakurai had no plans in doing, now that Iwata talked him into it, I expect more 180s depending on how things unfold.

Watch Da Birdie

But Donkey Kong had long established himself as a legacy character, so his name alone carried more weight even if he didn't actually appear as playable in those. Normal people know who Donkey Kong is.

I'm just saying I think if you polled random people on the street, King K. Rool probably wouldn't be recognized by anyone who isn't a longtime Nintendo fan.

Oh hell yeah, Captain Syrup is my jaaaaam!! In a perfect world, we'd have Wario, a Ware rep, and Captain Syrup :p

Wario, Syrup and Jimmy T. or Mona. Perfection.

Also, gimme Syrup in Mario Kart. I want a cool pirate cove/ship themed course in the vein of Wario Shipyard, just more piratey.

JediLink

They should put K Rool in and make him a hard counter to Diddy Kong. That'd be wonderful.

Quote would be the perfect indie representative. A bunch of different weapons available. He's been on wii, DS, 3DS (twice).
Nah, Shantae fits better IMO. Unless WayForward doesn't count as being reasonably indie.

I was thinking today, in the original Donkey Kong Country Trilogy King K. Rool actually didn't get that much exposure...he wasn't featured on the box-art as I recall, and I don't think any of the manuals showed what he looked like. Hell, as a kid, the only fight I reached with him was in DKC, the only reason I knew what he looked like in the other games was because I had the Strategy Guide.

If I remember correctly, you never even saw him till the very end of the game and, because of how the games were fairly difficult, I wonder if a few kids never even knew what he actually looked like till Donkey Kong 64 put him cutscenes throughout the game? Or they watched the cartoon, but I remember it airing at really weird, early hours and barely ever saw it when it was on.
You could make the same argument for literally every final boss pre N64 era. I don't remember seeing Bowser before reaching the final castle in Super Mario World. That's because there were very few cinematics back then, and yet Rare still managed to give their characters a lot of personality. It's not a coincidence that four of the most widely requested characters (K. Rool, Banjo, Dixie, and Krystal) are all creations of Rare. Sorry, my bad. Now that Rare belongs to Microsoft, all of the characters they've designed are retroactively terrible. Carry on then.

I honestly do think he's a character whose popularity is specifically coming from hardcore Nintendo fans. I want him in because I like the Donkey Kong Series, but truth be told I do feel he's reliant on his series popularity far more than a lot of other villains. Like, nobody cared that he was featured in the Paon Jungle Climber games, and nobody seemed excited for his appearance in Mario Baseball...and I think that's because those games just weren't that good, although I found them decent, and he on his own isn't that great of a character. I could see Bowser, Ganondorf, hell, even Wolf, getting their own games, and doing quite well, but not in a million years could I see a King K. Rool game actually being something people would buy on the character alone.
I see a lot of words here, but you've basically said nothing. Like... I don't understand what point you're trying to make. Just because people weren't visibly cheering over his inclusion in DK Jungle Climber doesn't mean that he doesn't have fans. People were ambivalent because his presence was expected. If Nintendo suddenly removed Bowser from the Mario series and replaced him with a tribe of kitty cat carnivores, I'm sure the fans would be outraged. Again, you're making subjective claims that are impossible to substantiate. I for one would be interested in a game starring K. Rool as long as it looked fun, and I'm sure even his detractors would agree with that sentiment. Didn't your mother ever teach you not to judge a book by its cover? If people only care about the games themselves, then why aren't they clamoring to get Tiki Tong and Lord Fredrik in Smash? Whether you want to admit it or not, the fact that K. Rool has remained so popular despite not appearing in years is quite an impressive feat.

You forgot Tingle, the money obsessed child kidnapper and enslaver.

Donkey Kong Country (ported twice)
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (ported once)
Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble (ported once)
Donkey Kong Land
Donkey Kong Land II
Donkey Kong Land III
Donkey Kong 64
Donkey Konga
DK: King of Swing
Donkey Kong Barrel Blast
DK Jungle Climber
Mario Super Sluggers

Donkey Kong Country for the SNES sold 9 million copies. Then it was ported to the GBC. Then it was ported to the GBA. Losing out to only Bowser, Ganon, and Dedede, I'd say he's earned a spot on the roster.

To be honest the votes probably wont make much of a difference, it seems Sakurai can decide if a character's unworthy with one prejudgement. Obviously the more bottom of the barrel he gets the more he'll have to compromise his views. I think its glaring that Sakurai hasn't even made a comment on K. Rool all these years.

Absolutely meaningless, considering that the Koopalings and Duck Hunt dog didn't even have trophies in previous games. Hell, K. Rool had a trophy in Melee but Diddy didn't. Don't look too deep into things like this.

I'm just saying I think if you polled random people on the street, King K. Rool probably wouldn't be recognized by anyone who isn't a longtime Nintendo fan.

90% of the roster is unrecognizable to the masses. What's your point? At least K. Rool made an appearance in an animated series. That gave him a lot of exposure.

Azure J

If DK played anything like he did in Jungle Beat in Smash, he'd be a GoAT character for me.

Stretchy arm command grabs/ziplines into battering sprees? And said stretchy arms can be used as tether recoveries?
Heavy yet satisfying acrobatics?
Fighting moves like he was studying under Ryu (that low sweep counter on Ghastly Kong/crouching fierce punch counter on Karate Kong) and Little Mac simultaneously?
That hype ass voice?

Yeah, I would pay a fuck load of money for Jungle Beat DK. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom