• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neiteio

Gangplank Galleon would be kind of a missed opportunity when you can have a traveling stage across all of Crocodile Isle

#dreambig

Hmm, just random musing here but I'm thinking back to a podcast the Smashboards people had with the announcer. Nintendo asked him to say a bunch of characters' names, right? I'm sure he said a lot more character names than the ones that are in the game. I feel like for DLC, Nintendo will choose characters that the announcer already said so they don't have to waste time getting him to record 2 or 3 names. Maybe Nintendo already made him say things like "Wonder Red", "Ridley", "King K. Rool", etc...

I also think the new DLC characters we would get would just be from franchises already represented with emblems, victory themes and the like. *shrug*

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
This has to be coming. These stages already exist, even on the 3DS, but are only used for 8 Player Smash and All Star, and they keep adding more of them (looks like Boxing Ring and Wuhu Island are next for this).

I think rather than make people download all the maps all over again, they're slowly phasing in the hazard free versions over time so it isn't a massive download.
I want to believe

But Sakurai

Hmm, just random musing here but I'm thinking back to a podcast the Smashboards people had with the announcer. Nintendo asked him to say a bunch of characters' names, right? I'm sure he said a lot more character names than the ones that are in the game. I feel like for DLC, Nintendo will choose characters that the announcer already said so they don't have to waste time getting him to record 2 or 3 names. Maybe Nintendo already made him say things like "Wonder Red", "Ridley", "King K. Rool", etc...

I also think the new DLC characters we would get would just be from franchises already represented with emblems, victory themes and the like. *shrug*

The announcer is just a random dude, not a big name voice actor or anything, so he's probably not that expensive to call in whenever they need him.

L Thammy

I believe the announcer said earlier that he recorded the names of characters that aren't in the game. Those may have been intended DLC, or at least candidates for DLC. They'd still have to shell out for a new recording session for the character's voice, though.
EDIT: Wait, you already said that. I should learn to read.

I wouldn't be surprised if he recorded lines for all veterans (of both Melee and Brawl) and all cut characters. And maybe a few characters they know would be popular, like K. Rool.

It would cover them for pretty much everything.

Hatchtag

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if he recorded lines for all veterans (of both Melee and Brawl) and all cut characters. And maybe a few characters they know would be popular, like K. Rool.

It would cover them for pretty much everything.

I kinda wonder if they just have him read a list off of like 100 Nintendo characters. That way he couldn't really leak anything even if he wanted to, since he wouldn't know who would be picked and who wouldn't.

If you're having a difficult time imagining what K. Rool would look like in-game, then fear not.

SM4UmUv.png

jnWake

Kaptain K. Rool is the version that should get into Smash. He looks so much cooler like that. If Retro ever revives him I hope they use that design...

I'm playing the game right now, and DK is not that much smaller than Bowser.

Yeah, the picture is slightly misleading because Bowser is standing upright and DK isn't. DK is only slightly shorter than K. Rool in the Donkey Kong 64 101% ending cutscene, so this looks about as accurate as we're going to get.

Are villains supposed to come from the land of rainbows and lollipops?

And before you say the design is just bad 90s, we already have met our quota of bad anime with the existing newcomers.

Friend, without my current drunkedness causing any biased opinions, I can say that I like the cut of your jab.

Puruzi

Banned
Are villains supposed to come from the land of rainbows and lollipops?

And before you say the design is just bad 90s, we already have met our quota of bad anime with the existing newcomers.

Do you expect him to be a lovely blossom?

Implying Bowser, Ganon, etc look like they're from the land of rainbows and lollipops or are lovely blossoms. Don't be clowns. His design looks bad to me.

spanks

Kaptain K. Rool is the version that should get into Smash. He looks so much cooler like that. If Retro ever revives him I hope they use that design...

100% agreed.

I'm a little worried because apparently the Japanese translation of his trophy description says that all the versions of K Rool are 'brothers' for some reason. So we might not even get a Kap costume. The DKC1 version is easily the most boring, and unfortunately the most likely for Sakurai (like how all the DK stages are based on the first jungle stages of DKC1, and all the DK music is just remixes of the music from the first stage of DKC1). He obviously doesn't care for the series much.

Edit: Maybe we should start a campaign for people to vote Kap rather than King. At least to remind Sakurai that he actually exists.

Implying Bowser, Ganon, etc look like they're from the land of rainbows and lollipops or are lovely blossoms. Don't be clowns. His design looks bad to me.

A lot of the designs of the Kremlings are shitty, they're still sort of endearing.

K. Rool and them are highly overrated though.

I feel like the only way K Rool gets into Smash is if he wins this poll by a land slide and Sakurai feels compelled to put the "people's choice" into the game. Retro clearly didn't think much of the character when they revived the DKC series and even Smash has him relegated to a "remember him" trophy.

Richie

Do you guys think that submitting a vote for an inventive character idea is throwing it away?
Like, would it really be read and could it inspire the staff, or it would be ignored in favor of votes for more popular characters?

100% agreed.

I'm a little worried because apparently the Japanese translation of his trophy description says that all the versions of K Rool are 'brothers' for some reason. So we might not even get a Kap costume. The DKC1 version is easily the most boring, and unfortunately the most likely for Sakurai (like how all the DK stages are based on the first jungle stages of DKC1, and all the DK music is just remixes of the music from the first stage of DKC1). He obviously doesn't care for the series much.

Edit: Maybe we should start a campaign for people to vote Kap rather than King. At least to remind Sakurai that he actually exists.
No, it was a translation error. They're quite clearly intended to be the same character. Watch the introduction video for the GBA version of Donkey Kong Country 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HitZ1I9j6g

I feel like the only way K Rool gets into Smash is if he wins this poll by a land slide and Sakurai feels compelled to put the "people's choice" into the game. Retro clearly didn't think much of the character when they revived the DKC series and even Smash has him relegated to a "remember him" trophy.

The goalpost moving regarding K. Rool is absolutely hilarious. We already have people preemptively downplaying the poll results just in case he wins.

Do you guys think that submitting a vote for an inventive character idea is throwing it away?
Like, would it really be read and could it inspire the staff, or it would be ignored in favor of votes for more popular characters?

Just vote with your heart, this doesn't cost anything.

I voted for Wonder Red and while others did too, I don't see much of a chance of him making it.

But based on Sakurai, he will take peoples' opinions to mind but ultimately choose a character that fits the game and his vision.

Go for it.

Rooligan

Neo Member
Why is it a thing that K. Rool is some horrible Bowser rip off anyway?

Bowser's the one who's incredibly formulaic and generic with little to no discernible personality. K. Rool actually does new things when he comes back.

Is it really because of that ancient Mario cartoon? Did people actually like that crap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom