• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkhero1

You want to fight as THIS???

davey_tortoise_2014_by_dirtfalco48-d7edhx0.png
Holy fuck. My eyes are burning.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Wow.

Is there really a need to just spit fire over this? I know some people don't like K Rool but jeez, this reminds me of some schoolyard shit.

Gonzo, regardless of many people not liking the design (K Rool isn't exactly easy on the eyes, but for quite a few it's an endearing sort of ugly, I think so at any rate) there's really no use trying to defend him at every turn, you'll just drive yourself crazy. I'd say just keep cool and roll with the punches.

And to everyone else, Gonzo probably wouldn't have to be so defensive if half the forum wasn't jumping on him and his character of choice.

Sure, K Rool DOES have lots of fans. From many exit polls to support campaigns and forums. Sure, NOBODY knows what the ballot sais and we won't for a long time. It's going to be a while before October comes and no one knows how the votes will sway. We can only support our characters and support other choices as well until the ball drops.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Sorry, my bad. Now that Rare belongs to Microsoft, all of the characters they've designed are retroactively terrible. Carry on then.

Wait, where did you get that I felt that way from my post? I like K. Rool, Banjo, Dixie, and even Krystal.

In fact it was you who just a few pages back were talking about Banjo in that manner, acting like he didn't matter because Rare owns him.

And I wasn't insulting K. Rool or saying he wasn't going to get in, just stating how I don't feel he's that well-known outside the big Nintendo fans, even in comparison to some of the other characters. I

Sometimes I just don't know what's up with you. You're overly hostile, rude, and seem to just create reasons to be offended. You're literally the reason I didn't visit this thread much in the first place because I knew you'd be pulling your usual tricks, and I imagine most people who casually view this thread see your posts and probably think to themselves "man, what's wrong with that dude". You're just a generally unpleasant person. It's not even that I disagree with you, you just seem to be incapable of expressing your opinions in a way that doesn't come across as you getting upset over slights real and imagined. I know people sometimes bait you, but you seem to purposefully take the bait every chance you get just to fuel your weird persecution complex.

You're legitimate one of the few members on this forum I can say that I legitimately dislike, and I eagerly await the day the mods get fed up with your attitude and general unpleasantness and do something about it.

Watch Da Birdie

Krystal has some weird fans, but I think it's nice for Star Fox to have a solid female character among the pilots, and I hope she sticks around in Star Fox Wii U for that reason alone.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
That's very true. Sadly true. I know a lot of people hate the idea of Krystal in Smash, but hey: Martial Staff User. Wrap your head around the awesomeness for a bit. Palutena has a staff but she rarely uses it over her magic and divine power.

Definitely Wolf over Krystal, but I would actually like to have Krystal. Not my first choice in female character for Smash (That would be Shantae), but I'd be down. There's not many characters I wouldn't be down for.

I'd even be down for Isaac even though I know jack diddly anything about Golden Sun other than it has a kickass boss theme remix in Smash and a lot of people would be happy to see him in, even if I see him as another sword user.

Edit: In other news, I just realized I still had that download code for Kid Icarus Uprising stuffed in my copy of Omega Ruby I got for Christmas. That game, as well as Hyrule Warriors, are games I got for holiday but have yet to play. Now I can see what all this Dark Pit hoopla is about. Also, looking at some of Pit's dialogue on Youtube with Palutena has officially endeared me to the character. He has the memory of, and desire to be, a goldfish. And Hades seems really awesome, and although seemingly a villain, he's totally cool with just chilling with Palutena, Pit, and Viridi. All of which make jokes at Pit's expense. Including the mention of "feeling like a birthday party where everyone's trying to kill me" from Pit.

The reason I don't like the whole Krystal's staff "movement" is because there's no guarantee that she'd get the staff. For all we know, Nintendo does not want her to get tied to Starfox Adventures, so they'd rather give her generic space animal moveset instead.
Granted, I don't like Krystal for many other reasons, but I do not believe her getting the staff is as clear-cut as you might think.

the wildly underrated Starfox Adventures.

tBE8nZm.gif

Watch Da Birdie

Yeah, Adventures seems pretty much ignored. I was surprised to see Prince Tricky as a Trophy in Smash 4, but that was from Assault iirc. Otherwise the only references to it in Smash are slight mentions in his and Krystal's Trophy, I think.

I didn't think it was that bad of a game though, and pretending it doesn't exist sort of bugs me.

I didn't think it was that bad of a game though, and pretending it doesn't exist sort of bugs me.

It looks and sounds great, I'll give you that, but it was a shoddily put together OoT clone with an utterly awful story culminating to one of the most unsatisfying endings I've ever seen, required and badly implemented minigames, really bad voice acting (and not just what we're used to as being bad, it's ass), one of the worst camera controls I've ever seen in a 3D action game - I've seen 3D Sonic games with better camera -, and generally really clunky controls.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
It looks and sounds great, I'll give you that, but it was a shoddily put together OoT clone with an utterly awful story culminating to one of the most unsatisfying endings I've ever seen, required and badly implemented minigames, really bad voice acting (and not just what we're used to as being bad, it's ass), one of the worst camera controls I've ever seen in a 3D action game - I've seen 3D Sonic games with better camera -, and generally really clunky controls.

sad-mario.jpg

I really liked it.

To be honest, it wasn't even meant to be a Starfox game.

Wait, where did you get that I felt that way from my post? I like K. Rool, Banjo, Dixie, and even Krystal.

In fact it was you who just a few pages back were talking about Banjo in that manner, acting like he didn't matter because Rare owns him.
No, I said he's never going to be playable because Nintendo isn't going to want to advertise one of their competitor's IPs. Nowhere in any post have I spoken ill of Banjo's design; I quite like it, in fact.

And I wasn't insulting K. Rool or saying he wasn't going to get in, just stating how I don't feel he's that well-known outside the big Nintendo fans, even in comparison to some of the other characters.
You're probably right. I fail to see how this is relevant, though. None of the potential DLC candidates are going to be super well known.

Sometimes I just don't know what's up with you. You're overly hostile, rude, and seem to just create reasons to be offended. You're literally the reason I didn't visit this thread much in the first place because I knew you'd be pulling your usual tricks, and I imagine most people who casually view this thread see your posts and probably think to themselves "man, what's wrong with that dude". You're just a generally unpleasant person. It's not even that I disagree with you, you just seem to be incapable of expressing your opinions in a way that doesn't come across as you getting upset over slights real and imagined. I know people sometimes bait you, but you seem to purposefully take the bait every chance you get just to fuel your weird persecution complex.
Well uh... I certainly don't agree with that. I don't take anything said about me in this thread personally. I have no animosity towards anybody on this forum, so it's a shame that you and I don't feel the same way. I'd like to know what my "usual tricks" entail, because it's pretty much impossible to discuss K. Rool in this thread without somebody going off on a tangent about how poorly designed and ugly he is. It's not a welcoming atmosphere. For months I refused to post here because I knew that we would just be arguing in circles over and over. I'd say that the hostility is often warranted, in this case. Now that we're getting DLC, this is my chance to finally have some closure. The only reason I still post here is to educate people about K. Rool instead of bashing their character(s) of choice. Being rude is not my intention, so I apologize if I made you feel uncomfortable. After living with an autistic sister who was bullied and fat shamed relentlessly throughout her teenage years, I do, however, take the "ugly" comments very personally. I know it's just a video game character, but I find it upsetting when people act as if K. Rool is a lesser character because of his rotund appearance. Nobody is obligated to like his design, but sometimes it's better to keep the negativity to yourselves.

You're legitimate one of the few members on this forum I can say that I legitimately dislike, and I eagerly await the day the mods get fed up with your attitude and general unpleasantness and do something about it.
Voicing my opinion and defending a fictional character from glorified schoolyard bullying isn't against the ToS. If I have broken any rules, please let me know and I will adjust my behavior accordingly. If you have anything further you'd like to add, PM me.

This is pretty awesome. WayForward needs to release their games in Japan already.

I really liked it.

To be honest, it wasn't even meant to be a Starfox game.

You can like whatever you want. I think Hotel Mario is a good game, and think that the people who never played the CD-i Zeldas are exaggerating on how bad they are.

And the fact it wasn't meant to be a Star Fox game is one of the main reasons why I utterly loathe Krystal. She got aged, sexed and damseled up for a game where she was supposed to be a shared heroine in along with the male character who got turned into Fox, but instead got frozen in a block of ice while Fox looks up her skirts with bawdy 60s saxophone music playing. A game, that solely because of that decision to shove the Star Fox brand on it, fell apart.
And she's pretty much the personification of it. Just looking at what she has become as opposed to what she could've been makes me upset.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
You can like whatever you want. I think Hotel Mario is a good game, and think that the people who never played the CD-i Zeldas are exaggerating on how bad they are.

And the fact it wasn't meant to be a Star Fox game is one of the main reasons why I utterly loathe Krystal. She got aged, sexed and damseled up for a game where she was supposed to be a shared heroine in along with the male character who got turned into Fox, but instead got frozen in a block of ice while Fox looks up her skirts with bawdy 60s saxophone music playing. A game, that solely because of that decision to shove the Star Fox brand on it, fell apart.
And she's pretty much the personification of it. Just looking at what she has become as opposed to what she could've been makes me upset.

I never looked at it that way. Heck, Dinosaur Planet could have been a great IP if given its own time to blossom instead of last minute panic because Fox and Co. got shoved down your throats (Love Fox and Co., but come on). Not to mention a General Scales battle would have actually been there instead of cutting straight to Andross if that were the case.

Heh. I guess seeing things from your point of view made me think of Starfox Adventures in a different light. I do wish Dinosaur Planet just would have been its own game.

Well my favorite Star Fox game never got officially released, and the designs from it will never be acknowledged by Nintendo, so meh.
Shame, too. Those two female pilots would've been awesome. And so is Wolf's design in that game.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Well my favorite Star Fox game never got officially released, and the designs from it will never be acknowledged by Nintendo, so meh.
Shame, too. Those two female pilots would've been awesome. And so is Wolf's design in that game.

Dinosaur_planet_wallpaper.jpg

What could have been. I guess you're right. Still have fond memories playing the game with my sister. It was also my first game with Fox McCloud in it, prior to playing StarFox 64 on the VC.

Which? Got any links to these designs?

Dinosaur_planet_wallpaper.jpg

What could have been. I guess you're right. Still have fond memories playing the game with my sister. It was also my first game with Fox McCloud in it, prior to playing StarFox 64 on the VC.

I was referring to Star Fox 2 there. :p
But yes, Dinosaur Planet would've likely ended up a better game than Adventure.

Sponge

Banned

My favorite Wolf design comes from that game. Really wish Nintendo would release it on the VC or something.

star_fox_2_7772.png

I see. They actually look like they belong on the Great Fox.

Yearp.
And the Star Wolf crew as well:
tumblr_m2l6ltwqRL1qd4q8ao1_400.gif

It's also a very fun game. The pilots all have different types of ships. It's really cool.
They made Wolf's SF2 design the alt costume in Project M, which is the only thing about it I can endorse. :p

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
People are seriously still looking at ballot poll winners (well it seems not people, but you know who they are)? Here's the most appropriate reaction.

20110414015049.jpg

fuck you for thinking that Nichijou is generic anime

King Features still exists from what I can find. In fact, they're still making Popeye comics every week.

Ah I see. Looks like the dream of seeing Popeye in Smash is unrealistic even though he has a history with Nintendo.

Krystal has some weird fans, but I think it's nice for Star Fox to have a solid female character among the pilots, and I hope she sticks around in Star Fox Wii U for that reason alone.

Krystal is a weak female character in Star Fox though. Katt was much better. Hell I'd argue the non-canon Command's Slippy's wife Amanda is stronger than Krystal.

Yearp.
And the Star Wolf crew as well:
tumblr_m2l6ltwqRL1qd4q8ao1_400.gif

It's also a very fun game. The pilots all have different types of ships. It's really cool.
They made Wolf's SF2 design the alt costume in Project M, which is the only thing about it I can endorse. :p

I actually have an umbridge about that skin. It's one of the things I openly hate about that mod. It's not "referencing SF2 design!" (no, that was done perfectly in Brawl). No, it's generic furry design mixed with vague looks towards Wolf.

I was referring to Star Fox 2 there. :p
But yes, Dinosaur Planet would've likely ended up a better game than Adventure.

actually from what script was gathered, it's essentially the same game minus the final boss fight, so... no I guess?

I realized this marketing ploy is either going to end poorly, or fantastically.

If they only add say 3-6 characters, and put emphasis on some of the cut characters- I have a feeling you'll see a ton of disappointed fans.

If instead they see all these character requests, and continue support for Smash making it more of a platform itself-- Nintendo will win over fans. It'd be insane to see the game turn into a Rock Band like title with the ability to download your fave character as a fighter.

At that point, I'd welcome pretty much any character into the series.
I think most people would be satisfied with Mewtwo, Lucas, Wolf, and King K. Rool being in (we're only really missing Isaac fans). Two are already in and Wolf is near guarantee, the only real question mark at this point is King K. Rool.
The smash DLC I'd like most is new stages, N64 retro stages as my personal highest priority.

HD remake of Kirby's Fountain as personal dream DLC.
I'd loved to see Smash DLC myself, same with music. Mega Man 7-10 needs music representation and I want actual remixes of Mega Man 4-6.
Kaptain K. Rool is the version that should get into Smash. He looks so much cooler like that. If Retro ever revives him I hope they use that design...
One neat thing about King K. Rool in Smash is that he could use alternate costumes with his designs. I'd liked to see Kaptain K. Rool as well as Baron K. Roolenstein and King Krusha K. Rool be alternate designs for K. Rool.
To be honest the votes probably wont make much of a difference, it seems Sakurai can decide if a character's unworthy with one prejudgement. Obviously the more bottom of the barrel he gets the more he'll have to compromise his views. I think its glaring that Sakurai hasn't even made a comment on K. Rool all these years.

DLC puts him in a situation where he has to look at ATs that were originally characters who in some cases, fan favorites that didn't make the dev bench. DLC was one of those things Sakurai had no plans in doing, now that Iwata talked him into it, I expect more 180s depending on how things unfold.
I don't think Sakurai has as much sway in regards to characters as some people think. The fact that Lucas and Mii costumes are DLC before Mewtwo got even released shows that Sakurai had to back down from his stance of "No more DLC until we see how Mewtwo fares" so chances are he doesn't have as much control over who gets in (he still has some, but Nintendo will have some power over him in regards to DLC choices).

As for King K. Rool, I think it's a good sign that King K. Rool hasn't be discussed. Usually when disconfirmed characters are discussed, it isn't reassuring (look at what happened to Ridley). While we don't know Sakurai's stance on King K. Rool, I'd say for now that no news is good news.

Azure J

fuck you for thinking that Nichijou is generic anime

Nichijou is anything but. Seriously. A few episodes of that should be mandatory in a "things we love about life" starter kit.

I'd loved to see Smash DLC myself, same with music. Mega Man 7-10 needs music representation and I want actual remixes of Mega Man 4-6.

I still think there's a huge opportunity here that needs to be taken to its zenith. I need Megaman X and Megaman Zero music with a small smattering of Battle Network. I want to jump onto Wily Castle and hear the most godlike versions of Central Highway, Boomer Kuwanger, the X2/X3 Zero themes, Gravity Beetle, Neo Arcadia Hall, Crash, For Everlasting Story - Departure, Supreme Ruler, Net Battle (MMBN1), Battle Spirit (MMBN2), Great Battlers (MMBN3), and Battle With Myself (MMBN4) [among others] ever spun onto disc.

Shit I want the entire Chiptune Rockman team to come up with new remixes for the classic series stuff post 6.

Wario needs some more reps. He has 2 series with plenty of games each yet Wario is the only one playable and his moves aren't even from his games.

Wario needs some more reps. He has 2 series with plenty of games each yet Wario is the only one playable and his moves aren't even from his games.
I wanna say Mona since she's the most significant character in the Ware games besides Wario and could easily have a moveset that called upon pizza/moped/cheerleading/photography stuff, but everybody always seems to default to Ashley. I wouldn't even be that opposed to Waluigi being treated as a Wario rep, even though he never shows up in the Land/Ware series.

I wanna say Mona since she's the most significant character in the Ware games besides Wario and could easily have a moveset that called upon pizza/moped/cheerleading/photography stuff, but everybody always seems to default to Ashley. I wouldn't even be that opposed to Waluigi being treated as a Wario rep, even though he never shows up in the Land/Ware series.

I would love Waluigi just for the fact that me and my brother could then use the real Wario Waluigi team in 2v2 For Glory instead of our current Wario and purple Luigi team :p

I feel like some of you want K. Rool in, and some of you would perform blood pacts with Lucifer himself in order to get him a roster spot. Yikes.

In other news, Club Nintendo people get Mewtwo on Wednesday. Woo.

woopWOOP

I'm still hoping those Fay and Miyu characters get used in a future game, I really like the designs (yes I'm aware they've basically been changed into Kat and Bill in SF64).
Also little lemur Andrew's too cute.

About King K. Rool: He probably won't look so bad in Smash once you see him in action. I like his bright green skin with yellow belly and it seperates him from Bowser enough. Gameplay-wise I can also see him as the game's new heaviest character: takes a lot of damage to launch, but drops like a brick like Melee's Falco.

Either way, Dixie or K.Rool, the DK franchise needs a third rep. Hope the DK votes in the poll actually have an effect on the DLC's outcome (with most % of the votes being placed within the first weeks of announcement I can see them browsing the gathered data for DLC ideas way before the end date).

L Thammy

I think people need to learn how to show a basic level of respect. We have no idea if this ballot actually matters, let alone what criteria determine which characters are viable. If you want to demonstrate that a character is likely or unlikely, just present your case and evidence and let that speak for you. Adding things like "this isn't the '90s anymore" or "you're going to be so disappointed" is just needlessly insulting.

If you're going to be insulting like that, then you shouldn't be surprised when other people respond in a similar way.

Anyway, onto Mewtwo. Is there a list of moveset changes somewhere? I could see that his teleport is faster, Confusion now reflects projectiles instead of just nullifying them, and his neutral A combo has a finisher. I'm surprised that he still has Disable though, that move sucked. Way too finicky.

Golnei

I'm still hoping those Fay and Miyu characters get used in a future game, I really like the designs (yes I'm aware they've basically been changed into Kat and Bill in SF64).
Also little lemur Andrew's too cute.

I really hope they're officially integrated into the series at some point as well, considering how much more memorable they are from a design standpoint compared to most of the latter games' supporting cast. Especially since Fay might as well be Space Isabelle, they'd probably become reasonably popular with ease.

But it's more likely that nothing from SF2 will be directly adapted into future games - which is a shame, seeing as both the recycled design elements and closer interpretations of their originals could still exist in the same universe. It's particularly disappointing that the original Star Wolf theme will never be officially used...

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
What about that survivor game where you're stranded in an island? Is that Nintendo?

Nichijou is anything but. Seriously. A few episodes of that should be mandatory in a "things we love about life" starter kit.

Pretty much. Should be slapped on people.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I feel like some of you want K. Rool in, and some of you would perform blood pacts with Lucifer himself in order to get him a roster spot. Yikes.

In other news, Club Nintendo people get Mewtwo on Wednesday. Woo.

For sure? There are confusion along with people that we are getting code itself this Wednesday or what?

I'm looking forward for this update anyway!

For sure? There are confusion along with people that we are getting code itself this Wednesday or what?

I'm looking forward for this update anyway!

Codes are emailed Wednesday along with the update being shipped the same day.

As per how Nintendo does emails, it could be any point during the day you'll get your email and they do them in huge waves through the day.

Honestly they should start sending them out soon if they plan to do them in waves like that, since it's going to be a mad house come Wednesday with people going insane if they don't get their code at Midnight or whatever.

Ahnez

Honestly they should start sending them out soon if they plan to do them in waves like that, since it's going to be a mad house come Wednesday with people going insane if they don't get their code at Midnight or whatever.
Considering the CN servers are still being hammered due to the elite rewards, its very possible that the codes will take a while to be all sent :p

K Rool and Dixie Kong would be my picks but when you think of the history of all video game characters you know you won't be able to fit in all your favorites.

Azure J

IMG]http://img04.deviantart.net/de92/i/2015/100/2/6/smash__takamaru_by_professorfandango-d8p8637.png[/IMG]

Oh lawd, that Takamaru is giving me the best kinds of Goemon Ishikawa vibes right now. :lol

On a related note, can someone tell me why this character is consistently linked to amazing music? I just heard a portion of his Captain Rainbow theme recently and I am left here thinking how much I'd love to hear that as a stage theme.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom