• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fandangox

Probably a dumb question, what if people opted out for emails, will they still receive them? (I opted in, but it'd be still good to know.)

Soul Lab

That would make a good entrance animation.

Did anyone here ever talk about victory jingles?
I think Wonder-Red would have the Roll Out Jingle. Outside chances for Wonderful Finish and A Wonderful Victory.

ah damn. this music gets me every time. what a good feeling. Fuck it, such a shame this game bombed. No, sales doesn't effect my fun for a game, but the chances of a W102... :( my heart
edit: and yeah, I agree with Wonderful Victory

Puruzi

Banned
They meant that we have to get the code from the CN site, and it will probably be down for 95% of the day :p

No, we already have confirmation that we're getting the codes emailed to us. I'm pretty sure they're saying that we might have to redeem the codes on the website.

Tregard

Soothsayer
rrzEFQO.jpg

Hot damn

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Banjo & Kazooie Smashified.

Seeing this makes me want to learn how to draw again.

And Captain Syrup.

It's....it's so beautiful. My beloved bear and bird is back in all their round greatness.

*cries just a little*

I know they're a rival IP and everything but, if Nintendo can make some sorcery happen, this would be my ideal Smash character. Been my Smash dream since 64, but something I never really talked about because it felt so far fetched, more so after buyout.

@IntelliHeath: Pretty neat if I do say so myself as I like all three drawings. I'm curious how Takamaru's Shuriken would be separated from Greninja's Water Shuriken thought and how his Fire Ball would function.
I still think there's a huge opportunity here that needs to be taken to its zenith. I need Megaman X and Megaman Zero music with a small smattering of Battle Network. I want to jump onto Wily Castle and hear the most godlike versions of Central Highway, Boomer Kuwanger, the X2/X3 Zero themes, Gravity Beetle, Neo Arcadia Hall, Crash, For Everlasting Story - Departure, Supreme Ruler, Net Battle (MMBN1), Battle Spirit (MMBN2), Great Battlers (MMBN3), and Battle With Myself (MMBN4) [among others] ever spun onto disc.

Shit I want the entire Chiptune Rockman team to come up with new remixes for the classic series stuff post 6.
I would love Mega Man X music to show up; same from music from other subseries (I was disappointed that no Mega Man X music showed up). My most wanted from the X subseries would be Central Highway from Mega Man X and Blaze Heatnix from Mega Man X6.
I feel like some of you want K. Rool in, and some of you would perform blood pacts with Lucifer himself in order to get him a roster spot. Yikes.

In other news, Club Nintendo people get Mewtwo on Wednesday. Woo.
I myself am excited for Wednesday. I'd liked to get an eight-player all-Mewtwo match going at some point to celebrate this occasion.
I'm still hoping those Fay and Miyu characters get used in a future game, I really like the designs (yes I'm aware they've basically been changed into Kat and Bill in SF64).
Also little lemur Andrew's too cute.

About King K. Rool: He probably won't look so bad in Smash once you see him in action. I like his bright green skin with yellow belly and it seperates him from Bowser enough. Gameplay-wise I can also see him as the game's new heaviest character: takes a lot of damage to launch, but drops like a brick like Melee's Falco.

Either way, Dixie or K.Rool, the DK franchise needs a third rep. Hope the DK votes in the poll actually have an effect on the DLC's outcome (with most % of the votes being placed within the first weeks of announcement I can see them browsing the gathered data for DLC ideas way before the end date).
I think Bowser will still retain his throne as the heaviest character in Smash since King K. Rool has more fat than Bowser does, but second-heaviest is what I'm expecting if he gets in.

Donkey Kong as a franchise is long overdue for a third characters (I honestly feel we should have gotten King K. Rool added alongside Diddy in Brawl and then Dixie in the initial roster of this game) and both would be solid addition. Of course my emphasis goes towards the Kremling King because I feel he is the most important character in the franchise that isn't playable yet, because of how popular he is, and I myself would love to play as him.
I think people need to learn how to show a basic level of respect. We have no idea if this ballot actually matters, let alone what criteria determine which characters are viable. If you want to demonstrate that a character is likely or unlikely, just present your case and evidence and let that speak for you. Adding things like "this isn't the '90s anymore" or "you're going to be so disappointed" is just needlessly insulting.

If you're going to be insulting like that, then you shouldn't be surprised when other people respond in a similar way.

Anyway, onto Mewtwo. Is there a list of moveset changes somewhere? I could see that his teleport is faster, Confusion now reflects projectiles instead of just nullifying them, and his neutral A combo has a finisher. I'm surprised that he still has Disable though, that move sucked. Way too finicky.
Exactly. At the end of the day, we should have fun discussing DLC characters as well as supporting the ones we care about, but we shouldn't be telling others that their X character sucks or isn't happening and they should support Y character instead. Part of the reason why I'm even in this thread in the first place is because I enjoy discussing potential DLC characters.

Puruzi

Banned
I think it's totally okay to bash a character you don't like, if that character gets in over someone you like it would suck.

Azure J

@IntelliHeath: Pretty neat if I do say so myself as I like all three drawings. I'm curious how Takamaru's Shuriken would be separated from Greninja's Water Shuriken thought and how his Fire Ball would function.

It's so weird how shuriken are now so prominently attached to Takamaru's character given that he never uses them in The Mysterious Murasame Castle. Fireballs and pinwheel blades are cool in that you could use the different shogi piece power ups to change or alter their configuration before throwing them. The shuriken just seems to be something attached to his character ever since NintendoLand.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
It's so weird how shuriken are now so prominently attached to Takamaru's character given that he never uses them in The Mysterious Murasame Castle. Fireballs and pinwheel blades are cool in that you could use the different shogi piece power ups to change or alter their configuration before throwing them. The shuriken just seems to be something attached to his character ever since NintendoLand.

Well for one, unless you're a Pokemon conjuring shurikens out of water, likely you can't charge up shurikens. That means Takamaru could be flinging multiple of those things or applying different effects to them, even Greninja is rather limited with his.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's totally okay to bash a character you don't like, if that character gets in over someone you like it would suck.

No, it's really not. You can show support for your chosen character and you might find that you can entice other people to show support for yours. Look how many people changed their votes to Wonder Red or K Rool seeing their fans so passionate about the characters and explaining why they should be playable. Shaming other characters and people who like them make you look like a jerk, and people will likely hope your character doesn't get in out of spite.

Besides, there's no indication any of our chosen characters can get in because we know next to nothing about what this ballot's restrictions are, if there are any at all, or how this will even factor into DLC decision making. You could have Wonder Red or K Rool at the top and them choose Inklings instead to promote the new IP, regardless of their standing in the poll. We have no idea what the poll results will be so we will be none the wiser.

Azure J

Yeah, my mentality is I support all characters because in the long run, it's better for everyone to have fun with Smash. Even when I crack on some
(Lucina and Roy will never be better than Marth)
, it's more out of love than spite.

Puruzi

Banned
No, it's really not. You can show support for your chosen character and you might find that you can entice other people to show support for yours. Look how many people changed their votes to Wonder Red or K Rool seeing their fans so passionate about the characters and explaining why they should be playable. Shaming other characters and people who like them make you look like a jerk, and people will likely hope your character doesn't get in out of spite.

Besides, there's no indication any of our chosen characters can get in because we know next to nothing about what this ballot's restrictions are, if there are any at all, or how this will even factor into DLC decision making. You could have Wonder Red or K Rool at the top and them choose Inklings instead to promote the new IP, regardless of their standing in the poll. We have no idea what the poll results will be so we will be none the wiser.

That's great and all, but I would still rather any other character get in over K.Rool, so I will absolutely not be supportive of those who want him in. Of course, I don't plan on bashing him too hard, (I've only said he was ugly once or twice lol) but I still don't see an issue with voicing your dislike of a character.

Kouichi

Alright I voted for Takamaru and Roy today. Takamaru was one of my most requested characters next to Palutena. I'm hoping he gets enough Western votes to show Sakurai how popular he is outside of Japan.

As for Roy, I normally don't give much care or thought to the character given how unlikely his inclusion is for various reasons. However, I've always felt that him being a popular Melee veteran was the one thing that gave him a chance. Since the ballot is pretty much all about popularity, I thought it finally time for my boy Roy to get his chance.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, my mentality is I support all characters because in the long run, it's better for everyone to have fun with Smash. Even when I crack on some

I agree. Marth is the first and only.

Azure J

Alright I voted for Takamaru and Roy today. Takamaru was one of my most requested characters next to Palutena. I'm hoping he gets enough Western votes to show Sakurai how popular he is outside of Japan.

As for Roy, I normally don't give much care or thought to the character given how unlikely his inclusion is for various reasons. However, I've always felt that him being a popular Melee veteran was the one thing that gave him a chance. Since the ballot is pretty much all about popularity, I thought it finally time for my boy Roy to get his chance.

You voted Takamaru and Roy.

Well now I feel bad for my last comment! :lol

HeroR

No, it is not okay.

I have no love for K. Rool and is one of the few characters I really don't want in Smash, but I am not going to bash his fans for supporting him and if he gets in I simply won't buy him. That's the beauty of DLC.

If you have a character you love and want in Smash Brothers, support your argument and raise them up so other people can see why they should vote, not talk about how another character sucks, why they're not worth, ect. It makes you look childish and make people not want to support that character just to spite the fans. Honestly, that's why I can't support Ridley since his fandom poisoned the character to me.

Puruzi

Banned
No, it is not okay.

I have no love for K. Rool and is one of the few characters I really don't want in Smash, but I am not going to bash his fans for supporting him and if he gets in I simply won't buy him. That's the beauty of DLC.

If you have a character you love and want in Smash Brothers, support your argument and raise them up so other people can see why they should vote, not talk about how another character sucks, why they're not worth, ect. It makes you look childish and make people not want to support that character just to spite the fans. Honestly, that's why I can't support Ridley since his fandom poisoned the character to me.

Reading comprehension.

NeonZ

I actually ended up voting for Roy once too when I was using another computer. It's kind of silly though considering all other options possible. I specifically mentioned his Awakening appearance though and that they should use his DLC redesign from there. I just felt like it seems they're mostly focusing on veterans, and I didn't want a wasted vote for once...

Well for one, unless you're a Pokemon conjuring shurikens out of water, likely you can't charge up shurikens. That means Takamaru could be flinging multiple of those things or applying different effects to them, even Greninja is rather limited with his.

Greninja's shuriken's are kind of weird since in the game itself the main point of the attack is multiple attacks in a single turn, rather than a single strong attack.

I can't remember what was Takamaru's basic projectile in his game (if they weren't shurikens, were they knives or something?), but either way, I think even his assist trophy shows how they could stand out, by throwing multiple at once.

Puruzi

Banned
My reading comprehension is just fine, thank you :p
I wouldn't be bashing the supporters, I would be bashing the character.
Calling K. Rool ugly is not the same as calling the supporter ugly, and if they take it personally they need to chill.

Kouichi

You voted Takamaru and Roy.

Well now I feel bad for my last comment! :lol

Haha well I certainly agree with the first half of your post! There is no Nintendo character who inclusion would bother me. As long as I know there are people who are happy about the character, then they're a good choice in my eyes.

J@hranimo

Banned
Character bashing is okay as long as it's used against Geno or Krystal.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Now this is more like it :p

I don't bash other characters though cause half of the time I don't know much about them (Takamaru, Geno, etc..) because they may be pretty unique along with the current roster we have. Maybe I'm just a nicer person on the internet lol.

Azure J

NeonZ, Takamaru's most basic projectile were sets of throwing knives. These didn't travel very far and did the lowest amount of damage to opponents. Windmill Blades aren't much better in terms of damage but since they flew across the full distance of the screen, they were very valuable. Fireballs are a good bit more powerful but fizzle out after a certain distance. Beyond this, Takamaru would also receive power ups in the shape of shogi pieces that corresponded to rook, bishop, and king pieces that would change the way he threw his projectiles forward or configurations of the tosses:

Rook: Allows him to throw his projectiles in a four way spread above, below and to both sides of himself
Bishop: Allowed him to throw the projectiles in a three way fan like spread forward
King: Allows him to throw four projectiles forward in a straight line (most damaging configuration when combined with fireballs)

On top of these, there was the white crossbow power up that increased his throwing speed.

More here.

Tangent: Seeing all this written out, I wonder why Prof. Beef isn't more interested in the character. He would lame most of the cast out! :lol

No, it is not okay.

It's always so weird when I see people go on campaigns to lessen the value of one character. As someone who's been wanting three characters consistently since the possibility of a sequel (Mike Jones since Smash 64, a draw/sheathe samurai type fighter since Melee and Lip for swapping gimmicks), I can't imagine doing it ever due to how low standing those three are. The weird thing I notice though is that its always fans of really high profile characters that are more willing to do that.

Once Wolf gets in, I won't really care who else they pick. Sure I'd prefer Roy, Pichu, Banjo or Krool, but I'm not going to be disappointed if anyone else is added.

I'll be disappointed, though, if Wolf isn't added, but he seems so obvious I'm pretty confident.

R0ckman

Absolutely meaningless, considering that the Koopalings and Duck Hunt dog didn't even have trophies in previous games. Hell, K. Rool had a trophy in Melee but Diddy didn't. Don't look too deep into things like this.

The difference being that Sakurai actually wanted Duck Hunt in previous installments and just now was able to conceptualize him into this interration, seems like there was little to no fan demand in his decision. He just noted that the old game sold well enough that he would be fairly recognized by the Smash audience. Don't really see your point on the Koopalings, they were just a bonus.

J@hranimo

Banned
I feel bad for my friend. He's been taking his time with his Banjo render and Omi apparently rushed his out. I honestly think his is looking better.

Oh wow, that is a really nice drawing! Even at this stage it is better than Omni's, although it doesn't fit the Smash 4 render aesthetic. It's better than the Smash 4 renders tbh.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
At least Lucina is in a better game than Marth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom