• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox Mulder

It's....it's so beautiful. My beloved bear and bird is back in all their round greatness.

*cries just a little*

I know they're a rival IP and everything but, if Nintendo can make some sorcery happen, this would be my ideal Smash character. Been my Smash dream since 64, but something I never really talked about because it felt so far fetched, more so after buyout.

MS and Nintendo never seem that opposed to working together and have with banjo even. They've presumably had to negotiate a deal as recently as dk64 on the VC since it's untouched apparently.

B&K being in smash would be huge and great goodwill if MS is even considering a new game.

I voted for king k rool though.

Azure J

I have to agree about Sponge's friend having a better render than Omni. The texture in the fur and feathers is just too noticeably for the better in the former. That said, Omni's for a "rushed" project is no slouch.

Sponge

Banned
Sean appreciates what you've all said! The more Banjo art the better, if you ask. Even though I think Sean's is turning out to be more well done, Omi's looks great too.

banjo_and_kazooie_smashified_by_hextupleyoodot-d8pau7t.png

This just reminds me how much I hate the 'modern' Banjo and Kazooie designs post-buyout... ugh.

Golnei

Prince Vorkken as an alternate costume would be best though

I've said this before, but the perfect implementation would be not just Wonder-Red, but a set of three characters, using Unite Hand, Gun and Sword - depending on the alt, they'd be the standard Red, Green and Blue; the former's civilian outfits; Poseman, Cheerleader and Director; Bayonetta, Jeanne and Rodin or Vorkken, Chewgi and Immorta, among others.

Banjo & Kazooie Smashified.

Seeing this makes me want to learn how to draw again.

And Captain Syrup.

Beautiful. God damn. ArtsyOmni is so good at what he does.

I feel bad for my friend. He's been taking his time with his Banjo render and Omi apparently rushed his out. I honestly think his is looking better.

Your friend's B-K is great too, but I feel there's something off about Kazooie's eyes... like they're too big and/or close together, maybe?

I hope they do a music pack to restore the music lost from 64/Melee/Brawl.

I need the Mother shop theme, Mike's Song, Fountain of Dreams and the DK Map Screen in the game. Oh, and Super Sonic Racing.

The new remix of the Diamond and Pearl Wild theme is also trash compared to the old one. I don't understand why some songs with new remixes were cut, but others were left...

This would be a nice thing to add in a patch, since selling cut music seems... slimy. As much as I'd buy it. Make it an expansion for Master/Crazy Orders.

Hatchtag

Banned

I need the Mother shop theme, Mike's Song, Fountain of Dreams and the DK Map Screen in the game. Oh, and Super Sonic Racing.

The new remix of the Diamond and Pearl Wild theme is also trash compared to the old one. I don't understand why some songs with new remixes were cut, but others were left...

This would be a nice thing to add in a patch, since selling cut music seems... slimy. As much as I'd buy it. Make it an expansion for Master/Crazy Orders.

Just make music off an SD Card a feature :p.
Also bring back all past stages.

Rooligan

Neo Member
Don't think the Banjo Smashified looks as good as the last ones. As far as him in Smash Bros, he's great and all, but would Nintendo really approve him? I mean, Phil Spencer saying it's okay doesn't mean much when every indie developer and their grandmother approves of their character. It also appears that Sakurai may have already rejected Rayman despite Ubisoft asking for him.

The Donkey Kong characters are the main ones that would come into Smash from Rare, more of a practical vote given they aren't in legal hell. I mean, Banjo's been owned by Microsoft far longer than Nintendo at this point. I'd understand if K. Rool or Dixie were already in the base roster, but with the terrible treatment of it you'd think it'd be a no brainer.

Azure J

You said Super Sonic Racing and all I'm thinking of is how to get all the Sonic R music in this game. Sonic CD JPN too.

Anyone else have this irrational fear that you registered your games wrong and you'll have to wait 2 more weeks to get Mewtwo?

Which is silly because I already got my CD.

Oh well, I'll be happy when he's finally in my hands

Sponge

Banned
Yep, I bet that Omi rushed it out once he found out that Sponge's friend is working on it. :p

A few people in my group humored this idea actually. Sean did post his on Reddit and it gained a decent amount of attention. It's fine, Omi was going to make this eventually.

Anyone else have this irrational fear that you registered your games wrong and you'll have to wait 2 more weeks to get Mewtwo?

My only fear is that some mysterious force will keep me from getting my DLC.

My internet just seems to go wonky mere days before any DLC gets released.

Hatchtag

Banned

I have a semi-rational fear that Nintendo's gonna fuck up emailing out the codes and I'll have to wait several extra days to play as Mewtwo.

J@hranimo

Banned
My only fear is that some mysterious force will keep me from getting my DLC.

My internet just seems to go wonky mere days before any DLC gets released.

I have a semi-rational fear that Nintendo's gonna fuck up emailing out the codes and I'll have to wait several extra days to play as Mewtwo.

I'm going to my friend's place on Mewtwo Patch Day since his internet is better than mine by a bit, so if he gets his stuff he should be able to get it instantly.

Oh god, I hope nothing bad happens on Wednesday ><;

Masked Man

I said wow
That Chorus Kids moveset looks cute! A nice selection of moves to represent the various minigames. A more rhythm-based set would be cool, but online play would be a nightmare...

What Lucas' final smash should be is for him to whistle and summon a Drago to wreck everyone up.

I would be satisfied with this over PK Starstorm.

A neat idea, although I personally think Lucas pulling out a needle and then something happening could be interesting.

Or
Masked Man could show up and he and Lucas could go all Kat and Ana on the opponents!
Not canon at all, but it would make me happy. :)

Stage dlc post? Obligatory Fourside post.

Fourside.

Yes please!!!

Soul Lab

I've said this before, but the perfect implementation would be not just Wonder-Red, but a set of three characters, using Unite Hand, Gun and Sword - depending on the alt, they'd be the standard Red, Green and Blue; the former's civilian outfits; Poseman, Cheerleader and Director; Bayonetta, Jeanne and Rodin or Vorkken, Chewgi and Immorta, among others.

sounds good but seems like a lot of effort :D

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It's a pretty good fan render but something is kind of off about it. I think it's his lighting, it looks quite flat. No matter the distance from the viewer all of Banjo's fur and flesh are the same tone with shading only relating to the local area rather than the whole body. This is likely because he used only one tone per colour when he placed his block colours.

Whereas, if you look at the unfinished render they have worked on the lighting first before colouring it in and as a result Banjo's body is darker than his face as it is further from the viewer.

Rlan

tumblr_nmp0qq7NK41rys6fno4_r1_1280.png

Smash Bros Fighter Ballot - Andy Takes his turn!

One of my favourite Nintendo properties is the Advance Wars series. When I got my GBA and the first title, I fell in love, and have since played through all the Advance Wars games since. I loved the characters, loved the music, and loved the gameplay.

(The Premise and characters of Days of Ruin can be ignored though)

But on the Smash Bros side of things, it&#8217;s the one series that hasn&#8217;t gotten much loved outisde of a rather lame Assist Trophy.

Well with the Smash Ballot, it&#8217;s about time Advance Wars got in on it, and Andy from Orange Star the perfect candidate.

At work we play Smash Bros almost every day, so I got my drawing cap on again and tried to figure out how the hell Andy would play, and how he would be used to show what Advance Wars is all about, in the same way Robin shows what Fire Emblem is all about.

Button Combos

tumblr_nmp0qq7NK41rys6fno5_540.png

A - Infantry Rifle - Andy uses a rifle to shoot.

Side Smash - The rifle instead turns into the Mech&#8217;s Bazooka.

Up Smash - Andy uses his wrenches to Smash upwards.

Down Smash - Andy uses his two wrenches to hit from both sides.

tumblr_nmp0qq7NK41rys6fno1_540.png

B - Artillery Attack - Andy uses an Artillery which will raise up and down, allowing him to shoot at a distance and at a range.

Side B - APC Rush - Andy jumps into an APC and gets transported to the other side of the screen. If he gets hit, by the other player, it might accidentily heal them a bit.

tumblr_nmp0qq7NK41rys6fno2_540.png

Up B - Copter Retreat - Andy grabs onto the bottom of an Air Unit and flies off. This could be a random thing between attack and transport copters - where the Copter can also shoot while bringing Andy up.

tumblr_nmp0qq7NK41rys6fno3_540.png

Down B - Building Capture - Andy spawns a building onto the stage. He can then stand on top of it and do Down B twice more, in which he will &#8220;capture&#8221; the area and cause massive damage to any enemy characters that were attempting to attack him.

Smash Ball - Ultimately kind of the hardest one to think about. With the design I have, we don&#8217;t have any Tank moves - which is a bit sad since it&#8217;s one of the most prominant things you use in the game. For the Smash Ball, Andy could jump in a tank and just wreck havoc, Metal Slug style. Otherwise he could do his CO Power (Healing) which is kind of lame, or a Bombing Run with Bombs.

What do you think?

Yea, that's the most likely issue, although for Nintendo's sake, I hope they figure out how to avoid that.

I can imagine a lot of angry Smash fans crippling Nintendo support's hotline.

Puruzi

Banned

One of my favourite Nintendo properties is the Advance Wars series. When I got my GBA and the first title, I fell in love, and have since played through all the Advance Wars games since. I loved the characters, loved the music, and loved the gameplay.

But on the Smash Bros side of things, it’s the one series that hasn’t gotten much loved outisde of a rather lame Assist Trophy.

Well with the Smash Ballot, it’s about time Advance Wars got in on it, and Andy from Orange Star the perfect candidate.

At work we play Smash Bros almost every day, so I got my drawing cap on again and tried to figure out how the hell Andy would play, and how he would be used to show what Advance Wars is all about, in the same way Robin shows what Fire Emblem is all about.

Button Combos

Side Smash - The rifle instead turns into the Mech’s Bazooka.

B - Artillery Attack - Andy uses an Artillery which will raise up and down, allowing him to shoot at a distance and at a range.

Side B - APC Rush - Andy jumps into an APC and gets transported to the other side of the screen. If he gets hit, by the other player, it might accidentily heal them a bit.

Up B - Copter Retreat - Andy grabs onto the bottom of an Air Unit and flies off. This could be a random thing between attack and transport copters - where the Copter can also shoot while bringing Andy up.

Down B - Building Capture - Andy spawns a building onto the stage. He can then stand on top of it and do Down B twice more, in which he will “capture” the area and cause massive damage to any enemy characters that were attempting to attack him.

Smash Ball - Ultimately kind of the hardest one to think about. With the design I have, we don’t have any Tank moves - which is a bit sad since it’s one of the most prominant things you use in the game. For the Smash Ball, Andy could jump in a tank and just wreck havoc, Metal Slug style. Otherwise he could do his CO Power (Healing) which is kind of lame, or a Bombing Run with Bombs.

What do you think?
You are a fantastic person.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Haha, that's cute moveset that you came up for Andy..

It's completely different from what I had in my mind for Advance Wars Franchise.

But on the Smash Bros side of things, it’s the one series that hasn’t gotten much loved outisde of a rather lame Assist Trophy.

Well with the Smash Ballot, it’s about time Advance Wars got in on it, and Andy from Orange Star the perfect candidate.

Button Combos

Side Smash - The rifle instead turns into the Mech’s Bazooka.

Down B - Building Capture - Andy spawns a building onto the stage. He can then stand on top of it and do Down B twice more, in which he will “capture” the area and cause massive damage to any enemy characters that were attempting to attack him.

Smash Ball - Ultimately kind of the hardest one to think about. With the design I have, we don’t have any Tank moves - which is a bit sad since it’s one of the most prominant things you use in the game. For the Smash Ball, Andy could jump in a tank and just wreck havoc, Metal Slug style. Otherwise he could do his CO Power (Healing) which is kind of lame, or a Bombing Run with Bombs.

What do you think?

I would be down for an Advance Wars character, but in the three years I've been trying to beat the game, he's my least liked playable character. Sami or Max should get the spot. They can take that movelist.

Ah Advance wars.....my first ever GBA game. Like that creative moveset. But his Final Smash has to have the other characters in someway or form.

I would be down for an Advance Wars character, but in the three years I've been trying to beat the game, he's my least liked playable character. Sami or Max should get the spot. They can take that movelist.

No they can't. It has to be Andy or there's no Advance Wars rep being added. Never in Smash's history has a secondary character represented a series solely.

Azure J

yeah you're gonna wanna change that a move to something else, Sakurai is big on not using real guns for his Smash games.

Then keep the bazooka since it embodies comical actions and Snake used a grenade launcher similarly in Brawl.

Honestly, I don't get the apprehension to guns when the team/Sakurai has already played them up in kooky ways with Fox's lasers and Zero Suit Samus' Paralyser.

Ryce

Honestly, I don't get the apprehension to guns when the team/Sakurai has already played them up in kooky ways with Fox's lasers and Zero Suit Samus' Paralyser.
It's not an apprehension to guns, it's an apprehension to realistic firearms. Sci-fi energy blasters fit the tone of the game, but shooting Mario with a rifle would kill the immersion.

Azure J

It's not an apprehension to guns, it's an apprehension to realistic firearms. Sci-fi energy blasters fit the tone of the game, but shooting Mario with a rifle would kill the immersion.

Oh I get this, but I was thinking along the lines of Looney Tunes' handling of the stuff. Would that be jarring to see if it just shout out explosions or "smoke that totally isn't weapon fire".

Platy

The lack of Tetris in this thread is really sad. It is both a 3rd party in the levels of pacman and an important part of Nintendo history

woopWOOP

They made the Advance Wars AT work by having both infantry and tank shoot giant Megaman-like pellets, so something like that could work. Probably gotta change that detailed rifle model into a toygun tho.

If a commanding officer is going to be AW's rep I hope the emphasis is on actual commanding. I remember a fan-made movelist pre-brawl that involved gaining funds over time (possibly in relation to the amount of % damage you have, high risk high reward) and using those funds for deploying different units with different costs. Tab B for infantry, hold B for more expansive mech infantry, etc. Deployed units hang around until their ammo runs out or are destroyed. They could display the fund amount at the same spot Little Mac has his uppercut bar now.

Ofcourse, a whole extra system like this is way too elaborate for a simple DLC addon. Also Andy and the other AW COs look too different from the goofier unit sprites so the styles wouldn't really mesh together well, IMO. One of the goofy COs from the SNES title could probably work, but then everybody in the West would be pissed it isn't Andy. Or Sami.

On the other hand, Andy using his wrenches like some Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle would be pretty funny too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom