• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crayolan

Since I don't know anything about technical mumbo jumbo I'm curious about an Ice Climbers thing. We all know the 3DS couldn't handle them, but let's say that Sakurai ignored the roster parity thing and put them in the Wii U version, would they still work in 8-Player Smash? I imagine 16 Popos and Nanas would be sluggish as hell.

Considering they had to remove stage elements to make some stages work in 8 player smash my guess is no.

TDLink

Since I don't know anything about technical mumbo jumbo I'm curious about an Ice Climbers thing. We all know the 3DS couldn't handle them, but let's say that Sakurai ignored the roster parity thing and put them in the Wii U version, would they still work in 8-Player Smash? I imagine 16 Popos and Nanas would be sluggish as hell.

I always kinda thought the 8 player smash thing was the bigger reason they weren't in rather than the 3DS.

"A third version of Marth, but you have to pay for this one," isn't as easy of a sell as it sounds. Roy isn't happening. Wolf will be the final veteran.
Yea, only the third most requested character on Miiverse and one of the most requested characters of all time on pretty much every single forum. He's also the only other vet besides Wolf with any reasonable chance to come back. Quite a few Japanese sources seem to have him close to be being more requested than Wolf.

You guys are really underestimating Roy. His popularity is more or on par with Lucas and here we are two months to Lucas returning, so I have no idea where this notion of Roy not returning is coming from. On the build up to Smash 4 he was on everyone's dream wish list to return, and now suddenly he's "lol Roy" which doesn't make sense.

Vets are huge in Japan.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
So... *realistically* how many DLC characters do you guys think we will get once everything is said and done (excluding Mewtwo and Lucas)

Is there any CSS mockup with new spaces/characters and such rearranged?

I would say 4 to 6 characters including Lucas and Mewtwo.

3 veterans (Mewtwo, Lucas, Wolf) and 3 newcomers is as far as I'm willing to bet. Anything beyond that would be a pleasant surprise.

Three newcomers would be awesome but I'm not getting my expectation high for that. E3 would be perfect for first DLC newcomer announcement along with Wolf announcement

I would love to see Alex or Isaac from Golden Sun to appear as a fighter rather than the third party characters such as Jeb that a lot of people are gunning for.

Isaac is more likely to be playable character out of all characters in Golden Sun because they always go with protagonist.

One square for all DLC characters like the Mii icon.

That's what I'm thinking. Like Injustice and Mortal Kombat 9.

I always kinda thought the 8 player smash thing was the bigger reason they weren't in rather than the 3DS.

It's weird because they said that they had them working on Wii U but who know.

Yea, only the third most requested character on Miiverse and one of the most requested characters of all time on pretty much every single forum. He's also the only other vet besides Wolf with any reasonable chance to come back. Quite a few Japanese sources seem to have him close to be being more requested than Wolf.

You guys are really underestimating Roy. His popularity is more or on par with Lucas and here we are two months to Lucas returning, so I have no idea where this notion of Roy not returning is coming from. On the build up to Smash 4 he was on everyone's dream wish list to return, and now suddenly he's "lol Roy" which doesn't make sense.

Vets are huge in Japan.

I eagerly await Awkward Zombie's response

One square for DLC characters would look sloppy and be tricky to manage with more than a couple DLC characters.

There's no worry for space, they're never going to add enough DLC for space to be problem. We're not getting a dozen DLC characters.
Roy has consistently been on people's lists to return... Like right up until the game actually came out and then suddenly apparently everyone now hates Roy.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Vets are huge in Japan.

What? Roy being on everyone's dream wish list? Where did you get that idea from?

I hosted prediction (and wishlist) contest and the results is pretty low for Roy. Only 15.97% of 121 people think that Roy is going to be in Smash4 (or wish that he would be in)

Roy has consistently been on people's lists to return... Like right up until the game actually came out and then suddenly apparently everyone now hates Roy.

I would love to have whatever you had! Man, it's really nice to want something but realistic enough is that Lucina took Roy's spot as Marth's clone.

Richie

The only character DLC I think of as pretty much in are Wolf and a Donkey Kong character. Anything else is up in the air. Looking forward to be surprised.

SmithnCo

They probably don't want a fourth FE rep who is another Marth clone and isn't particularly liked among FE fans. Lyn is probably still more popular.

Roy was "lol roy" in the lead up to Brawl. Fire Emblem fans don't care for him or his game at all, the fact smash fans want him back as dlc is sad because that is truly a waste of dlc development time. Unless they rework Roy to be make Marth -> Roy more like Fox -> Wolf there is no reason to bring him back. Maybe in a world where Lucina had been a costume and not a clone fighter the discussion might be more interesting.

Everyone was obviously an exaggeration, but you get the point. He's, for some reason, really under estimated on Neogaf and Reddit, while other communities would put him where Lucas was before he was announced.

If you had asked me before Lucas was announced, it would have thought he was too obscure, not well liked and not important enough to be DLC. And yet he was announced before Wolf who I thought would be right behind Mewtwo

I see lots of folks here that don't post in the Smash OT. If you frequently play, I recommend you come hang out with us in the OT and join the ranbats. :)

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Everyone was obviously an exaggeration, but you get the point. He's, for some reason, really under estimated on Neogaf and Reddit, while other communities would put him where Lucas was before he was announced.

If you had asked me before Lucas was announced, it would have thought he was too obscure, not well liked and not important enough to be DLC. And yet he was announced before Wolf who I thought would be right behind Mewtwo

Alright, I'm tempted to challenge you for avatar bet. Screw it, I would avatar bet for two weeks that Roy wouldn't be DLC character. Only way that you would win is that Roy got confirmed as playable character itself, and having his own slot. I meant Roy as Marth or Lucina's alt wouldn't count.

Richie

I see lots of folks here that don't post in the Smash OT. If you frequently play, I recommend you come hang out with us in the OT and join the ranbats. :)

Speaking for myself, I was pretty active in the Smash threads pre-release, but once it was released the official thread, at least from what I could see, became mostly about arranging online matches and discussion/speculation on the game played much less of a role. As my interest in the latter far outweighs that of the former, I haven't posted there as much.

I don't do bets.
Speaking for myself, I was pretty active in the Smash threads pre-release, but once it was released the official thread, at least from what I could see, became mostly about arranging online matches and discussion/speculation on the game played much less of a role. As my interest in the latter far outweighs that of the former, I haven't posted there as much.
This is why I don't post there

Crocodile

Since you're obviously basing this on anecdotal evidence, I'm going to have to counter with my memory which says the demand for Roy wasn't particularly high moving into the Smash 4 hype cycle. You also have to realize that things have changed since then - we didn't know about Lucina. You can understand how another clone might be unappealing to a lot of people (remember the whines over Dark Pit) right? Since this is a character that will be sold separately as DLC, I imagine that the threshold for inclusion has to be higher than normal since it has to be a character(s) that can entice a lot of people to drop $4-5 bucks by itself.

Lucas is the main character of the last Mother game with a fairly unique move set minus specials

Wolf is the main rival of the Star Fox franchise with a fairly unique move set minus his specials

Roy is the main character of one of the least popular FE game in Japan with a clone moveset minus his b special which is the same minus the added explosion effect casuals get excited for. Had he not been in melee nobody would be giving him any serious consideration.

The only advantage Roy has as a cut vet coming back is that he'd take less effort to make because you could start with Marth as a base and just tweak a few things.

Perhaps Roy will win the poll and he'll be in the game as dlc due to fan vote, at best I see him getting a mii swordsman costume

jnWake

There won't be discussion if people don't post about it. There's plenty of discussion actually so if there's any topic you'd like to talk about you can post there!

Azure J

I've been trying to keep up with SmashGAF ever since I could more readily access my Wii U , but after today, it's the last stretch of my classes and I can already feel the time I have for games dwindling until that's over with.

I imagine that the threshold for inclusion has to be higher than normal since it has to be a character(s) that can entice a lot of people to drop $4-5 bucks by itself.
But... Lucas. You could have said the same thing before he was announced and now he's the most hyped character, like, ever.

A Japanese only, niche, character with a move set based on another character already in the game, with a small, but dedicated group of fans.

Who does that describe, Lucas or Roy?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Alright, what kind of speculations are we going to do with since the game is out?

I don't do bets.

That's what I thought so.

NeonZ

Thinking about it, Ness had no Lucas costume in spite of having his special moves as custom moves, likely due to the DLC being planned. Marth has Roy outfit colors... but those don't change his hair color. So, I guess it's fairly ambiguous (and there's still the small possibility they could just go with his Awakening costume, while both Marth's and Ike's had problems).

Anyway, I really think you're overestimating Lucas' popularity among Smash players. In spite of his unique normal moveset, it was very common to see him considered as just another clone in this forum itself. And he was from a Japan-only game on top of that. The fact that we're getting him at all suggests to me that, for returning veterans, ease to implementation is actually weighting quite a bit as far as these DLC character choices go, which is the main factor that makes me think we might get Roy too.

Roy is the main character of one of the least popular FE game in Japan with a clone moveset minus his b special which is the same minus the added explosion effect casuals get excited for. Had he not been in melee nobody would be giving him any serious consideration.

The only advantage Roy has as a cut vet coming back is that he'd take less effort to make because you could start with Marth as a base and just tweak a few things.

"One of the least popular"? Biding Blade sold more than every FE after it in Japan aside from Awakening. He's less popular among FE fans worldwide, since the games weren't localized until Blazing Sword, but his game at least was fairly popular in Japan.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
There won't be discussion if people don't post about it. There's plenty of discussion actually so if there's any topic you'd like to talk about you can post there!

Exactly.

Also there are mixed of discussions and online matches arrangements ongoing in the threads. I just think people are making the excuses. I meant If you want to start the discussions then just post it in the thread, and people are willing to respond to that if your discussion are interesting enough.

ash_ag

People will hate me for this if it actually happens. But I would be happy if we got a Mii Mage.

The problem with Mii Fighters is that they aren't allowed in With Anyone fights, which makes them a bit like an afterthought for most. I kind of understand the reasoning, but I wish they could go past it (and maybe throw some "default" movesets for the purpose of For Glory), because they are really fun to use and customise.

I also thought of the possibility of a Mii Mage, and I would be happy to see them.

A Japanese only, niche, character with a move set based on another character already in the game, with a small, but dedicated group of fans.

Who does that describe, Lucas or Roy?

Lucas. Roy (The Fire Emblem character) doesn't have a dedicated group of fans.

IF they add Roy, they should add Eliwood or someone that people actually care about and have Roy as an alternate costume a la Alph.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
*Looks at thread's title*

The possibility of further DLC beyond just characters as well!

It would rather to be pointless since we had several "Are we getting DLC for Smash" threads over the time so I'm pretty sure that people would move the discussion from OT to Neoxon's DLC thread (or other threads)

Richie

It would rather to be pointless since we had several "Are we getting DLC for Smash" threads over the time so I'm pretty sure that people would move the discussion from OT to Neoxon's DLC thread (or other threads)

Suppose speculation doesn't take as much space, sure, but there's still room for discussion and thoughts in the game! Talking about the game itself with you guys was the best part of pre-release Smash hype train. I'm not much of an online player. I'll hafta head over sometime.

J@hranimo

Banned
But that's why this thread exists! New news for SmashGAF and GAF in general.

I think the way the Smash 4 OT is is fine. Even the couple times I've popped in there I've seen some non-ranbat talk going on, so it's a good mix.

TDLink

Vets are huge in Japan.

Sounds like you live in an echo chamber (which certain forums, especially smash focused ones could possibly seriously lead to).

I feel pretty confident in saying that most people would not want Roy over...literally every other possible Nintendo character, for various reasons (some of which other posters have already pointed out).

Even among veteran characters, there are several other (pretty much all of the others, minus Pichu) who I think people would want back before him.

Anyways, it's not going to happen. Many people wouldn't pay for a third person with Marth's moveset.

It's sad that ice climbers is basically not even mentioned at this point. Such an interesting and unique character that was a part of smash for so long. Sure they may not be relevant anymore but that doesn't mean they don't deserve a place.

There are lots of characters I would love to see in smash but if I was making a roster from scratch ice climbers would have been one of my first choices.

Richie

hqdefault.jpg

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Suppose speculation doesn't take as much space, sure, but there's still room for discussion and thoughts in the game! Talking about the game itself with you guys was the best part of pre-release Smash hype train. I'm not much of an online player. I'll hafta head over sometime.

Fair enough! At least we got our own thread once again.

But that's why this thread exists! New news for SmashGAF and GAF in general.

I think the way the Smash 4 OT is is fine. Even the couple times I've popped in there I've seen some non-ranbat talk going on, so it's a good mix.

Yup. I'm looking forward to see what we are going to get from Sakurai in the future. I know we are getting more Mii costumes.

4AM EDT

There's a very sound explanation for this.

You browsed differing opinions from different people. Chances are, the people that did or did not want Roy to return before Smash 4 came out still have the same opinion after launch.

I really wonder who'll come out of the ballot.

It better be characters I actually want to sprite.

I'm wondering what will come out of the ballot. For all we know, this is merely a lightening rod to keep people from flooding their various mailboxes with character requests.

Consolidates all the noise in one place and makes it easier to ignore

Crayolan

It's sad that ice climbers is basically not even mentioned at this point. Such an interesting and unique character that was a part of smash for so long. Sure they may not be relevant anymore but that doesn't mean they don't deserve a place.

There are lots of characters I would love to see in smash but if I was making a roster from scratch ice climbers would have been one of my first choices.

I voted for Ice Climbers. But to be fair there's not a lot to talk about with Ice Climbers. They're extremely unlikely and there's not much debate about that. As a veteran character it's not like we need to speculate how their moveset would work.

Richie

For me, i'd be lovely if you controlled one IC at a time, while the other is cheering on him/her in the background, Brawl's Pokémon Trainer style. Then when the IC in play is KO'd, the other one comes cover for him/her, and so and so.

Don't know how viable it'd be, and implementation in DK's new stage would be tricky.

Ryce

I did a quick select screen mockup using my top four requests, keeping the same ordering method as the regular game (chronological multi-reps, chronological one-offs, last minute clones). I hate the “clone corner,” but I don’t think it’s going anywhere.

Of8MFy1.png

Doesn't most of the FE fanbase (which is also huge in Japan) hate Roy? At best he'll eventually come back as an alt for Marth like Lucina was supposed to be for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom