• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would they need to be in the same row? So long as the multi-rep series and single-rep series are in chronological order independent of each other, the select screen can accommodate literally any roster possibility. It's impossible to break that "pattern," which is probably why Sakurai chose it in the first place -- future proofing the game for any potential DLC.

Ignore the sloppiness of certain tiles:

2uRGFrq.png

That looks great. The only thing missing is Wonder Red.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Lapras got two votes because they misread the Pokémon next in line's ballot as just asking to cast the same vote.

Why would they need to be in the same row? So long as the multi-rep series and single-rep series are in chronological order independent of each other, the select screen can accommodate literally any roster possibility. It's impossible to break that "pattern," which is probably why Sakurai chose it in the first place -- future proofing the game for any potential DLC.

2uRGFrq.png
Oh, yea that looks absolutely perfect, I really want this set up.

I hadn't really considered moving the Pokemon down, but that fixes all the issues I had when trying to do this.

I love especially like this design because not only is it nicer to look at, but the rows are organized by game roster size as well. The largest franchise of the row is first.

Also Star Fox lines up with Kid Icarus, Ness is close to Falcon and this looks amazing and organized.

Diffense

But ditto votes itself!

Which also means "same as above" = Lapras.
(Assuming they're lined up in dex order)

The image was funny.
Pokemon alone could overwhelm the roster.
I don't think we're getting any Pokemon dlc apart from Mewtwo.

Also, this smash ballot is pretty clever marketing.
NIntendo is free to ignore the results but it certainly has people talking about the game.
We've generated 100 pages of discussion here just for being able to vote at an official Nintendo site.

Thanks! It look pretty good but I doubt that it would happens. I have a weird feeling that we are going to get DLC button that would work just same as Mii Button.

I don't think that would work. It would work for one or two DLC fighters (other than being messy), but you have 4-6 characters and now it becomes a problem, especially in 8 player Smash where even Miis are kind of a mess. Everyone would be a different character and all their tokens would be on the same space, making it awkward with lots of CPUs and stuff to move the pieces you want around.

And there's no reason to. That mock up probably has more DLC characters than we'll ever get, so there's no issue of space.

I don't know why people are still pulling for Chorus Kids. 3DS couldn't even handle two Ice Climbers and lowered the Pikmin count to 3.

A Rhythm Heaven rep would be awesome though.

Neoxon

I don't know why people are still pulling for Chorus Kids. 3DS couldn't even handle two Ice Climbers and lowered the Pikmin count to 3.

The AI was the reason the Ice Climbers were cut. There's also no indication either way that it was the same case for the Chorus Kids, who are about as complex as Mr. Game & Watch.

Neoxon

2uRGFrq.png
Can you make one with Wonder Red instead of Dixie?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
People say Wolf is a lock as DLC but until I actually see him get announced, I will feel alert and anxious.

People say Wolf is a lock as DLC but until I actually see him get announced, I will feel alert and anxious.

Things Wolf has going for him
- Second most popular cut vet behind Mewtwo (and Snake, but I don't count him)
- Orbital Gate is set up for Wolf
- Has a unique move set and a unique play style. No other character really fits as a savage warrior like Wolf.
- Star Fox U is coming out soon.
- He's Wolf.

Things Wolf has going against him
- Nothing, he's Wolf.
- lol second fox clone

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Chorus Kids would work just like Duck Hunt and Rosalina & Luma. It would be like three characters into one character instead of having two AI characters.

Zalman

That old GAF post a lot of people use to discuss stuff like Wario originally being a clone in Melee and Wolf not being added because he was too similar to Fox may not actually be true.

It seems it actually contradicts a bit of information we have directly from sourced interviews with Sakurai.

Sukapon was removed for licensing reasons and then they settled those licensing issues but never brought him or his item back :(
This list made me think of something I've considered in the past. Do you guys think Ice Climbers would be possible in 8-player mode? People seem to blame the 3DS version all the time, but I'm actually not sure if they would've made it even without roster parity.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
- Has a unique move set and a unique play style. No other character really fits as a savage warrior like Wolf.
- He's Wolf.

- Nothing, he's Wolf.
- lol second fox clone

I am just a wary Wolf fan. I don't think my heart could take a second beating.

- He's Wolf.

- Nothing, he's Wolf.
- lol second fox clone

I probably would've voted for Wolf if I didn't honestly believe he wasn't a for sure thing. I'm pretty sure we'll get a Wolf trailer at E3 to help promote the new Starfox game.

Azure J

That old GAF post a lot of people use to discuss stuff like Wario originally being a clone in Melee and Wolf not being added because he was too similar to Fox may not actually be true.

It seems it actually contradicts a bit of information we have directly from sourced interviews with Sakurai.

Sukapon was removed for licensing reasons and then they settled those licensing issues but never brought him or his item back :(

Whoa, Melee was going to be even more of an absolute monster of a game if even half of the "considered" jumped in on the fun.

I also really want to see what that Sprout Tower and Kingdom of Akaneia stage would have been like.

I am just a wary Wolf fan. I don't think my heart could take a second beating.

Wolf being cut was the strangest cut I think the series has ever had. Even Mewtwo you can sort of rationalize since Brawl had 4 new Pokemon and a pretty aggressive development cycle.

Wolf you just scratch your head and wonder what the heck happened there. It feels like cutting Metaknight or some other random secondary anti-hero/villain character who has no reason not to come back.

If Lucas can come back, there's no reason Wolf won't come back. Especially not with a new Star Fox game coming out that he'll obviously be in.

But what if Wolf isn't in the new Star Fox game?

Since his creation Wolf has only missed one game and even Falco was barely in that one. He played a major role in Assault and Command, especially Assault.

He'll be in Star Fox U. He's too popular not to be.

Zalman

Wolf being cut was the strangest cut I think the series has ever had. Even Mewtwo you can sort of rationalize since Brawl had 4 new Pokemon and a pretty aggressive development cycle.

Wolf you just scratch your head and wonder what the heck happened there. It feels like cutting Metaknight or some other random secondary anti-hero/villain character who has no reason not to come back.

If Lucas can come back, there's no reason Wolf won't come back. Especially not with a new Star Fox game coming out that he'll obviously be in.
It's not really that strange. They'd have three similar characters with the similar final smashes. It's only natural he wouldn't be a top priority.

That said, I think he'll be back.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Whoa, Melee was going to be even more of an absolute monster of a game if even half of the "considered" jumped in on the fun.

I also really want to see what that Sprout Tower and Kingdom of Akaneia stage would have been like.

I could says same for Brawl. With that blog, I think Takamaru is going to be in next Smash because Sakurai kept considered about him.

Sponge

Banned
Ice Climbers?...

That'd be one of the few characters I'd add to that roster if possible. I thought about it and the only newcomers that I would want that are missing are Wonder Red and Bandana Dee.

I've always wanted Chibi Robo to get some sort of representation too, but I just don't see support for him.

Chorus Kids would work just like Duck Hunt and Rosalina & Luma. It would be like three characters into one character instead of having two AI characters.
If that was true, they would be on the initial roster. Theres no way even if we would buy them that a character newcomer like Chorus Kids would be sold as DLC. They were planned for the initial roster and had to be cut because they were too complicated. Nothing else makes sense, they would be in the game otherwise since it fits with them advertising the new Rhythm Heaven and already has Sneaky Spirit and trophy. The only way this all adds up if they were indeed too complicated. I sadly don't see them happening as DLC since I think it would be initial roster or nothing.

Azure J

I always thought the Chorus Kids would fit the role of the "sequence" character (a further subdivision of the multiple character archetype I outlined here). Basically, every one of their attacks would follow a three hit "beat" or (for those familiar with Street Fighter/other fighters) "rekkas" where attacks would have continued follow ups based on the number of Chorus Kids active in said attack. It'd be like Marth's Dancing Blade except for everything they do and with crazy properties on each attack.

For example, forward special would be the rising sequence of harmonies they do in their most iconic minigame in Rhythm Heaven. You would have to time each extra button press to produce the follow up Chorus Kid who attacks with their vocals. Down special would be a burst sound wave mimicing "Together Now!" where you press the button a second time on a certain frame to get an even louder/larger area burst. Up special would be the longer holds of the harmony as they rise and form a human(?) ladder together. You could mess with the holds of this melody to ascend or descend at a varied rate.

I'm the guy that wrote this article. I'm about to go to bed, but I'd be happy to take any questions/ corrections in the morning.

I couldn't find any information about Wolf in Melee on Japanese Smash Brothers sites. I spent over two hours looking for information that should be widely known. It's exactly like the situation with the the Villager and the "Ice Climbers" Chant in the 3DS version. Just some false information that got accepted as fact, and not really looked into.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
If that was true, they would be on the initial roster. Theres no way even if we would buy them that a character newcomer like Chorus Kids would be sold as DLC. They were planned for the initial roster and had to be cut because they were too complicated. Nothing else makes sense, they would be in the game otherwise since it fits with them advertising the new Rhythm Heaven and already has Sneaky Spirit and trophy. The only way this all adds up if they were indeed too complicated. I sadly don't see them happening as DLC since I think i would be initial roster or nothing.

You might be right but you need to consider of other possibilities. They might put Chorus Kids on hold and want to focus on other characters first but they mentioned that they were extremely lucky that they managed to finish Bowser Jr. They eventually ran out of times with production and decided to push Chorus Men into DLC phase.

It's possible that Sakurai might pull Villager on Chorus Men, and postpone him for next Smash.

I always thought the Chorus Kids would fit the role of the "sequence" character (a further subdivision of the multiple character archetype I outlined here). Basically, every one of their attacks would follow a three hit "beat" or (for those familiar with Street Fighter/other fighters) "rekkas" where attacks would have continued follow ups based on the number of Chorus Kids active in said attack. It'd be like Marth's Dancing Blade except for everything they do and with crazy properties on each attack.

For example, forward special would be the rising sequence of harmonies they do in their most iconic minigame in Rhythm Heaven. You would have to time each extra button press to produce the follow up Chorus Kid who attacks with their vocals. Down special would be a burst sound wave mimicing "Together Now!" where you press the button a second time on a certain frame to get an even louder/larger area burst. Up special would be the longer holds of the harmony as they rise and form a human(?) ladder together. You could mess with the holds of this melody to ascend or descend at a varied rate.

That's an interesting idea. I always imagine Chrous Kids as character that you need to be very stricter with timing; with the button inputs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom