• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azure J

I could says same for Brawl. With that blog, I think Takamaru is going to be in next Smash because Sakurai kept considered about him.

I'm still going to do what I can to push support since it always helps, but after 3 games straight of consideration (I forgot where I heard about Sakurai considering him from as far back as Melee, but seeing it listed here, it's nuts to think that he's been in high regard from then), I think he's inching closer to an inclusion than I previously assumed. It's just about hoping that either he comes into his own with a breakout title or no one steps into his potential game play niche(s) in Smash.

On a bit of a tangent, I'm curious to see how Ayumi Tachibana would work. You'd think with both the advent of the visual novel and Nintendo having multiple successful VN style games on the DS/3DS, they'd have tried their hands at a new Famicom/Nintendo Detective Club title.

Ryce

If that was true, they would be on the initial roster. Theres no way even if we would buy them that a character newcomer like Chorus Kids would be sold as DLC. They were planned for the initial roster and had to be cut because they were too complicated. Nothing else makes sense, they would be in the game otherwise since it fits with them advertising the new Rhythm Heaven and already has Sneaky Spirit and trophy. The only way this all adds up if they were indeed too complicated. I sadly don't see them happening as DLC since I think i would be initial roster or nothing.
Bowser Jr. was almost cut for being too complicated, and he's a lot more popular/well-known than the Chorus Kids. Sakurai even said that he didn't have enough time to include all of the planned characters. It's very possible that the Chorus Kids were in the same boat as Bowser Jr. and that there was only enough time to include one of them.

batfax

I'd definitely love a new FDC, and I think Ayumi would definitely bring some unique flair to Smash Bros. Even if not as a fighter, I think a Detective Club styled stage would be amazing.

I swear that in the Brawl polls "Tantei Club characters" were mentioned at least once. I have no idea where to find that old stuff though. =\

Azure J

I'm actually tempted to drop a vote on Ms. Tachibana now. Anyone got ideas on how she'd work or summaries on the FDC games to get me interested in the concept?

I'd definitely love a new FDC, and I think Ayumi would definitely bring some unique flair to Smash Bros. Even if not as a fighter, I think a Detective Club styled stage would be amazing.

I swear that in the Brawl polls "Tantei Club characters" were mentioned at least once. I have no idea where to find that old stuff though. =\

A stage would be really neat.

Wayback Machine is what I used. Sakurai really didn't reply that much on the Brawl site. BTW, do you speak Japanese? Masked Man and I have been working on translating the sites, and we could use some help.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm still going to do what I can to push support since it always helps, but after 3 games straight of consideration (I forgot where I heard about Sakurai considering him from as far back as Melee, but seeing it listed here, it's nuts to think that he's been in high regard from then), I think he's inching closer to an inclusion than I previously assumed. It's just about hoping that either he comes into his own with a breakout title or no one steps into his potential game play niche(s) in Smash.

Just cross your fingers that Nintendo and Kamiya are working out on the deal for Platinum Studio to make new Mysterious Murasame Castle; then that's when Takamaru would have best chance to make in next Smash.

L Thammy

I'm actually tempted to drop a vote on Ms. Tachibana now. Anyone got ideas on how she'd work or summaries on the FDC games to get me interested in the concept?

She's a high school student that solves murders. That's really all I know. I think the first game focuses on an actual high school club, while in the second game she's the sidekick for a rookie detective. The rookie detective being the player character, who view the game from first person.

EDIT: Some footage with no commentary. There's probably better out there, Ayumi only shows up at the end of this.

The Melee polls are here, if that helps.
EDIT 2: Nevermind, I'm illiterate right now.

batfax

I'm honestly not sure how she'd work. I just assume Sakurai has some kind of plan since she was thought about at one point. I also have to wonder if Ayumi did anything special in the Satellaview-only game in the series... I don't think I've ever seen that in playable form anywhere.

For the games themselves, only the 1998 remake of the second game has been translated. Which is fine, because it looks the best and is a prequel to the original. Basically, you investigate a murder of a high school student as the assistant to a detective who's too busy trying to solve a different case before the statute of limitations runs out on it. While doing so, you meet Ayumi Tachibana, a friend of the murdered student who happened to run a "detective club" with them. Over the course of the game you work with Ayumi to trace the murdered girl's steps of whatever she was investigating that somehow ended up costing her her life.

A stage would be really neat.

Wayback Machine is what I used. Sakurai really didn't reply that much on the Brawl site. BTW, do you speak Japanese? Masked Man and I have been working on translating the sites, and we could use some help.

No, sorry. I totally would if I could. =\

ash_ag

The Melee polls are here, if that helps.

Steven Stone was somewhat considered at one point? Phew, really dodged a bullet.
:p

Speaking of which, Mewtwo is another opportunity for a Trainer to appear in a Final Smash (because of Mega Evolution). I suppose Calem or Serena could fit. Granted, he's the most "acceptable" Trainer-less Mega Evolving Pokémon because of M16. I still wish they would add Red in Charizard's Final Smash, and possibly Korrina for Mega Lucario.

L Thammy

Sorry, here's the Melee poll. Taken from this highly informative post:

Kimarhi Ronso said:
The third and final poll results are a list of every character who was requested, and their respective votes. This list groups the characters within a category (such as a series), and then sorts them in descending order within that category. Note that Sakurai listed the main protagonist from the first generation Pokemon games as "Satoshi” (“Ash”), rather than as Red.

NOTE: When a vote tally is something like “someone from <series>,” that means it’s all of the votes by people who either said they wanted a character from that series but didn’t care who, or voted for a minor character that Sakurai felt didn’t warrant their own mention.

The format for these results is as follows:

Category name
(Rank) Name: Votes (English name if different)

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/PostResult3.html

Super Mario series
(1) Koopa: 169 (Bowser)
(2) Princess Peach: 66
(3) Wario: 65
(4) Kinopio: 27 (Toad)
(5) Nokonoko: 9 (Koopa Troopa)
(6) Kamec: 8 (Magikoopa)
(7) Kuribou: 7 (Goomba)
(8) Mallow (Mario RPG): 5
(8) Geno (Mario RPG): 5
(10) Baby Mario: 3

Pocket Monsters series
(1) Mewtwo: 35
(2) Mew: 24
(3) Satoshi (main character): 18
(4) someone from Pokemon: 12
(5) Lugia: 11
(6) Nyarth: 8 (Meowth)
(7) Raichu: 7
(8) Maril: 5
(8) Fushigidane: 5 (Bulbasaur)
(8) Togepy: 5

Legend of Zelda series
(1) Ganon (including Ganondorf): 36
(2) Young Link: 8
(2) Princess Zelda: 8
(2) Sheik: 8
(5) Darunia: 2

Kirby of the Stars series
(1) Great King Dedede: 46
(2) Gooey: 17
(3) Meta Knight: 11
(4) someone of Kirby’s comrades: 10
(5) Waddle Dee: 3

Mother series
(1) Dosei-san: 18 (Mr. Saturn)
(2) Poo: 6
(3) main character of Mother 2, etc: 4 (Earthbound)
(3) Paula: 4
(5) Starman: 3
(5) Jeff: 3

Star Fox
(1) Falco: 7
(2) Slippy: 5
(3) Wolf: 4
(4) Peppy: 2

Fire Emblem series
(1) Marth: 21
(2) someone from Fire Emblem: 18
(3) Oguma: 8
(4) Celice: 4
(5) Siglud: 2
(5) Leaf: 2

related to the Rare company
(1) 007 James Bond: 35
(2) Banjo & Kazooie: 18
(3) Diddy Kong: 15
(4) Blast Dozer robot (nothing specific): 2 (Blast Corps)
(4) 006 Trevelyan: 2

various Famicom / Super Famicom forces (NES / SNES)
(1) Sukapon (Joy Mecha Fight): 15
(2) Lip (Panel de Pon): 9
(3) Prince Richard (The Bell Tolls for the Frog): 8
(4) Metroid (Metroid series): 6
(4) Blacky (Wrecking Crew): 6 (Spike)
(6) Pit-kun (Parthena’s Mirror): 5 ((Kid Icarus))
(6) main character of Shin Onigashima: 5
(6) main characters of Marvelous: 5
(9) Samurai Goroh (F-ZERO): 4
(9) Popo & Nana (Ice Climber): 4
(9) main character of Balloon Fight: 4

these are non-Nintendo forces
(1) Chocobo: 9
(2) Doraemon: 7
(3) Bomberman: 5
(4) Crash Bandicoot: 4
(5) Sonic: 3
(5) Rockman: 3 (Mega Man)

Please remember that third party characters were not said to be allowed at this time, so anyone who voted for non-Nintendo characters either did not realise this or did not care that their vote was wasted. As such, there is nothing that can really be drawn from that group.

Speaking of Red, Squirtle with Red leading him on would be cool. It's a way to get Pokemon Trainer back in the game without needing a switch mechanic and they can just skip having him on the 3DS/8-Player entirely if they need to, because Squirtle would be the primary character.

woopWOOP

Sukapon was removed for licensing reasons and then they settled those licensing issues but never brought him or his item back :(
Ah, is that the reason? I recall the character getting quite a few votes in the Melee poll, but Sakurai (atleast the translation) said something along the lines of "it's not possible, don't bother". I always figured it had to do with the character model or the character's familiarity or something, with Brawl having a Sukapon sticker 'n all.

Atleast add a trophy then! It's nothing but 6 pink balls with a pair of eyes anyway.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
That old GAF post a lot of people use to discuss stuff like Wario originally being a clone in Melee and Wolf not being added because he was too similar to Fox may not actually be true.

It seems it actually contradicts a bit of information we have directly from sourced interviews with Sakurai.

Sukapon was removed for licensing reasons and then they settled those licensing issues but never brought him or his item back :(
WE COULD HAVE HAD SAKI IN MELEE?

FUCK
SHIT
FUCK
AH

Neiteio

Finally voted. Cast my ballot for Inkling.

"The Inklings are great new Nintendo characters! They could come in male and female. They could use their ink-based weapons and shape-shifting squid powers!"

ash_ag

Speaking of Red, Squirtle with Red leading him on would be cool. It's a way to get Pokemon Trainer back in the game without needing a switch mechanic and they can just skip having him on the 3DS/8-Player entirely if they need to, because Squirtle would be the primary character.

I'd prefer Ivysaur for that purpose, since he was a bit more unique to play as in my opinion. But even that would be sort of forced. The truth is that the set worked as a very unique concept as a whole, and otherwise Squirtle and Ivysaur are a bit out-of-the-blue as fighters. Ideally, those two would appear along with Red as background characters cheering for Mega Charizard.

Finally voted. Cast my ballot for Inkling.

"The Inklings are great new Nintendo characters! They could come in male and female. They could use their ink-based weapons and shape-shifting squid powers!"

Seriously, the Inklings need to happen. The "Wait for Smash 5" argument is a dangerous game, because it's neither certain Smash 5 will happen in the predictable future (say, the next generation), nor is it absolutely certain Splatoon will be successful enough to grow enough in the following years. They hit every single bullet point for a fun/successful Smash character.

Fandangox

image.php

Neiteio

I also voted for K. Rool so Gonzo doesn't murder me in my sleep:

"K. Rool is a lovable villain! Ideally, he would have his King form (Donkey Kong Country) and Kaptain form (Donkey Kong Country 2). He can wield his blunderbuss, shooting cannonballs, laying down spike traps, etc. It could also provide rocket propulsion. He could also lay down Klaptraps. He would be a fast heavyweight, similar to Wario. These are just some ideas. However he's implemented, I want to play as K. Rool!"

Those Rare votes though, indeed all Melee was truly missing was playable Bond and clone character Trevelyan battling on the tiny Cradle platform for a stage.
Only to get knocked the heck out by the Backlash from Blast Corps.

Azure J

WE COULD HAVE HAD SAKI IN MELEE?

FUCK
SHIT
FUCK
AH

Could you imagine the alt universe where Melee had Takamaru, Saki, Ayumi Tachibana, Wario, Dedede, Banjo & Kazooie, and James Bond/Joanna Dark (probably the one they'd go for) on top of the Melee classics?

Edit: Neiteio, I hope you kept Takamaru and Mike Jones in your thoughts too. :p

I'd prefer Ivysaur for that purpose, since he was a bit more unique to play as in my opinion. But even that would be sort of forced. The truth is that the set worked as a very unique concept as a whole, and otherwise Squirtle and Ivysaur are a bit out-of-the-blue as fighters. Ideally, those two would appear along with Red as background characters cheering for Mega Charizard.

I think Squirtle could work okay on his own. He was a popular starter and a popular Anime character. We don't have any first forms as playable Pokemon, so Squirtle would work nicely there.

i've played a teeny bit of famicom detective club 1 and i have no idea how the heck ayumi tachibana would work. it's not even like wright in MvC, because the series isn't super cartoony and zany, she's just a normal-ass detective, lol

still, my understanding is that she's more active in the second game so perhaps that's why i can't imagine it. either way i'm sure it'd be something, lol

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Could you imagine the alt universe where Melee had Takamaru, Saki, Ayumi Tachibana, Wario, Dedede, Banjo & Kazooie, and James Bond/Joanna Dark (probably the one they'd go for) on top of the Melee classics?

COULD YOU IMAGINE THE ALTERNATE UNIVERSE WHERE SAKI IS IN MELEE AND SIN AND PUNISHMENT 2 DOESN'T BOMB AND WE ARE PLAYING SIN AND PUNISHMENT 3 RIGHT NOW?

FUCK YOU SAKURAI

FUCK YOU

On the subject of cut characters, Plusle/Minun, maybe we looked at them the wrong way.

Since they're not set up like other duos, maybe they weren't a duo. Since it's pretty clear they were a Toon Link style Pichu redo, maybe they were actually one character and two alts. Maybe they were the first test into the wild world of full character alts, and for one reason or another, the experiment failed or they ran out of time.

They make a little more sense as alts of each other than two de-cloned Pichus running around together. That seems like it would be awkward, move set wise. And they aren't set up in the files like that.

I still think Pichu with Plusle and Minun alts would be a great DLC idea, playing off of Brawl. I even voted for that, although I didn't mention Brawl cuts because we aren't supposed to know them.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
On the subject of cut characters, Plusle/Minun, maybe we looked at them the wrong way.

Since they're not set up like other duos, maybe they weren't a duo. Since it's pretty clear they were a Toon Link style Pichu redo, maybe they were actually one character and two alts. Maybe they were the first test into the wild world of full character alts, and for one reason or another, the experiment failed or they ran out of time.

They make a little more sense as alts of each other than two de-cloned Pichus running around together. That seems like it would be awkward, move set wise. And they aren't set up in the files like that.

I still think Pichu with Plusle and Minun alts would be a great DLC idea, playing off of Brawl. I even voted for that, although I didn't mention Brawl cuts because we aren't supposed to know them.
I always figured out they were probably holding hands or something, like they are shown in some of the promotional art, which would explain them having only one character model like Duck Hunt.

The original design of the Motion Sensor Bomb in 64 and Melee was from Goldeneye, so it wasn't like James Bond seemed like a complete impossibility back then. Back when SSB64 released Rare pretty much equaled Nintendo in most fan's eyes and Goldeneye was a huge fucking deal.

Though the Motion Sensor Bomb in the Japanese version of Melee takes its design from Perfect Dark, and is stated to be as such in the trophies along with the Cloaking Device, unlike the western release's "TOP SECRET" nonsense.

It's kind of fun to imagine what Smash Bros. (and Nintendo as a whole) would look like now had they retained Rare's IPs. Banjo and Perfect Dark probably would have had a decent presence in SSB3.

L Thammy

It'll be kind of like the WarioWare stage. Randomly during the stage, one of the players is brutally murdered. Whoever is able to find the murderer gets a free Super Mushroom.

Azure J

The original design of the Motion Sensor Bomb in 64 and Melee was from Goldeneye, so it wasn't like James Bond seemed like a complete impossibility back then. Back when SSB64 released Rare pretty much equaled Nintendo in most fan's eyes and Goldeneye was a huge fucking deal.

Though the Motion Sensor Bomb in the Japanese version of Melee takes its design from Perfect Dark, and is stated to be as such in the trophies along with the Cloaking Device, unlike the western release's "TOP SECRET" nonsense.

It's kind of fun to imagine what Smash Bros. (and Nintendo as a whole) would look like now had they retained Rare's IPs. Banjo and Perfect Dark probably would have had a decent presence in SSB3.

I would probably be maining Joanna Dark just because of all the crazy ass guns in that game.

I always figured out they were probably holding hands or something, like they are shown in some of the promotional art, which would explain them having only one character model like Duck Hunt.

True. I could see them having unique normals and using Pichu's specials, even in that set up. And this set up probably would have saw them released in Smash 4, funny enough, since one model type duo characters are fine. Had they gotten in, their future would have depended on not being two characters with AI.

On other Brawl cut characters:

I think Toon Zelda would have been cut, but Tetra would have stuck around. Half of Zelda's roster being based on other characters/clones would have been... something.

Had they got the Diddy/Dixie thing working, they almost certainly would have split them for Smash 4.

It'll be kind of like the WarioWare stage. Randomly during the stage, one of the players is brutally murdered. Whoever is able to find the murderer gets a free Super Mushroom.

:D
Could even make it like Clue. "It was Princess Toadstool, in the Great Fox, with the SuperScope."

PtM

Banned
This list made me think of something I've considered in the past. Do you guys think Ice Climbers would be possible in 8-player mode? People seem to blame the 3DS version all the time, but I'm actually not sure if they would've made it even without roster parity.
That thought occurred to me, too.
Things Wolf has going against him
- Nothing, he's Wolf.
- lol second fox clone
Wolf is pretty hardcore and handles very unintuitively: His forward smash has a far better reach than his dash attack, his down throw moves the enemy forward, his forward throw moves him up, and so on.

Neoxon

They had to get the game out in time for the launch of the GameCube. And if they didn't rush the game, it wouldn't have turned out to be the gem we know Melee as now.

Azure J

They had to get the game out in time for the launch of the GameCube. And if they didn't rush the game, it wouldn't have turned out to be the gem we know Melee as now.

I know. But I still like knowing dev history and what ifs that could have come from them.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
COULD YOU IMAGINE THE ALTERNATE UNIVERSE WHERE SAKI IS IN MELEE AND SIN AND PUNISHMENT 2 DOESN'T BOMB AND WE ARE PLAYING SIN AND PUNISHMENT 3 RIGHT NOW?

FUCK YOU SAKURAI

FUCK YOU

He's right. When I'm trying to think about the moveset and it does feel so limited. He's way better off as assist trophy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom