• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Preorder Shitshow Discussion (Please Read Rules in OP)

I wake up this morning, happy since it's my Birthday...Amazon email pop up on my phone...

"Your pre order has been cancelled"

I pre ordered like asap a month or two ago (from UK) and was really looking forward to playing a lot of these games for the first time. I did not request a cancellation (why would I :p) but damn...this is so weird. So an noying :(

Hopefully Amazon will get a few back...
Did you have a delivery date estimate before it was canceled?

Isaccard

I managed to get one (and only one, dont kill me pls) during round 2 of Wal-Mart pre-orders, however it's being shipped to my billing address, which I no longer live at. After speaking with Wal-Mart, I'll have to wait until when (if) the order ships so I can contact the carrier to either change the address, or leave it at a carrier location for pick up.

feelsbad

I managed to get one (and only one, dont kill me pls) during round 2 of Wal-Mart pre-orders, however it's being shipped to my billing address, which I no longer live at. After speaking with Wal-Mart, I'll have to wait until when (if) the order ships so I can contact the carrier to either change the address, or leave it at a carrier location for pick up.

feelsbad

I don't understand what's so difficult for stores to change such simple things like that.

MrMephistoX

feelsbad

Not too bad I'd advise registering for a UPS account or FedEx and then when you have the tracking number you can request it to be delivered to a FEDEX or UPS facility. Just be quick as soon it ships and you'll be fine...maybe even call just so you have that assurance from a real person.

I don't understand what's so difficult for stores to change such simple things like that.

I know right? It's super easy on Amazon no wonder B&M retailers are struggling.

shira

charm_facepalm.gif

ReyVGM

A bit off topic, but not so much to deserve it's own thread.

So with Starfox 2 coming out, how will the original developers of it be compensated seeing as many of them no longer work for Nintendo? I thought most Nintendo 2nd party titles had performance based bonuses in place.

Hired developers don't get extra money for game sales unless the contract specifically says so.
Argonaut was paid for their job on SF2 back then already.

I know right? It's super easy on Amazon no wonder B&M retailers are struggling.
In my experience changing things like payment info or shipping addresses on Amazon will cause you to move to the back of the order queue which usually means you lose your release date shipping, or in this case lose the item itself potentially. Changing info after you purchase an item is a mess everywhere.

In my experience changing things like payment info or shipping addresses on Amazon will cause you to move to the back of the order queue which usually means you lose your release date shipping, or in this case lose the item itself potentially. Changing info after you purchase an item is a mess everywhere.

Never been my experience with Amazon, and I change shipping address and payment all the time. This includes Amazon US, UK, Japan and others. And for sold-out items like Switch at launch and Breath of the Wild Master and Special editions.

Weevilone

It's not that easy as people make it sound like. If a buyer claims the item is broken, they still need to ship it back to the seller, and the seller is able to look over the item to verify if there is an issue.

I have sold and bought on eBay since 1999, and the worst things I have come across were people not paying, which happens now and then.

If you want to sell on eBay, just take good pictures, have a clear item description and fire away ;)

Last time I had a problem with an item from an EBay seller, EBay refunded the money and told me to keep it. Wasn't cheap either, was an arcade kit.

jviggy43

Sorry, no. People can do it if they want. Doesn't mean it isn't gross.

And if you're publicly bragging about it, you're obviously going to be judged for it.
I didn't manage to get one. I don't see anything that's gross about this. They're taking advantage of a gross problem, but that in and of itself isn't really gross imo. The anger and outrage over it is misplaced.

Honestly good for them for managing to get that many, let alone one. I had both target and Wal-Mart up the second they went live and didn't even get one so they obviously put forth a lot of effort to snag a bunch.

Never been my experience with Amazon, and I change shipping address and payment all the time. This includes Amazon US, UK, Japan and others. And for sold-out items like Switch at launch and Breath of the Wild Master and Special editions.

It definitely happens though so it's something not to mess with even at Amazon. So many people have been screwed at Amazon because of changing things like that.

It definitely happens though so it's something not to mess with even at Amazon. So many people have been screwed at Amazon because of changing things like that.

I know it does happen, many people have reported it, but also for many others it never happened, so it could be worth trying if someone hasn't tried it before and wants to find out in which lucky or unlucky camp they fall. I know I will never worry about it because I've done it numerous times and never had an issue, and it's been invaluably useful to me (e.g. when selling preorders to GAFers or on ebay). And if I couldn't use that option freely on Amazon it would negate a lot of the advantages of buying from Amazon in the first place for me.

What I'm saying is it can be worth the risk depending on your situation. I'd rather present it like that to people than an all-out "Never do it!" blanket recommendation.

Similarly, see people who only have horror stories of selling on ebay and swore it off forever while others have a largely positive experience and greatly benefit from it. Neither of them is wrong, but neither is an accurate generalization either.

Madame M

Banned
did the people who ordered from amazon here enter their credit card's verification cide when they ordered? when I ordered mine I'm pretty sure it used stored debit card information without asking for the verification code. Then I switched payment to a different credit card but I don't think they asked for the verification code either. Will my order still go through? Do they ask for the verification code when it ships or something? I'd ask amazon but I'm afraid they will cancel my order somehow if I do ask lol

did the people who ordered from amazon here enter their credit card's verification cide when they ordered? when I ordered mine I'm pretty sure it used stored debit card information without asking for the verification code. Then I switched payment to a different credit card but I don't think they asked for the verification code either. Will my order still go through? Do they ask for the verification code when it ships or something? I'd ask amazon but I'm afraid they will cancel my order somehow if I do ask lol
Amazon never asks for card verification code.

Interesting, I guess I don't order from amazon enough to notice this.

Any idea why they don't?
Probably to make the checkout process easier and quicker, especially for first-time customers. That's my guess. Afterall they have invented and trademarked 1-click ordering.

Also Amazon was one of the first and oldest online stores, and back in the early days using verification codes was uncommon or it wasn't a thing, and maybe they didn't feel the need to add that feature to their system as it became more common.

To Amazon the benefits of making ordering from their site easier and faster and increasing the odds of acquiring new customers outweighs the potential cost of credit card fraud associated with not requiring the verification code.

burgerdog

Probably to make the checkout process easier and quicker, especially for first-time customers. That's my guess. Afterall they have invented and trademarked 1-click ordering.

Also Amazon was one of the first and oldest online stores, and back in the early days using verification codes was uncommon or it wasn't a thing, and maybe they didn't feel the need to add that feature to their system as it became more common.

To Amazon the benefits of making ordering from their site easier and faster and increasing the odds of acquiring new customers outweighs the potential cost of credit card fraud associated with not requiring the verification code.

I'm pretty sure you need the v code when adding a new credit card. Amazon doesn't care what happens after that.

MrMephistoX

Oh gotcha pre-orders...I was just assuming it was as easy as changing details on already released items...my bad. 🤗

I have an Amazon Visa saved to my account and have never been asked for verification. The only time I need to verify is if I'm choosing a different address from my default.

I have a preorder at Amazon.de from June 27th. Is it safe to change the delivery address before it ships out? (I'm thinking of switching it to my work address)

I know it does happen, many people have reported it, but also for many others it never happened, so it could be worth trying if someone hasn't tried it before and wants to find out in which lucky or unlucky camp they fall. I know I will never worry about it because I've done it numerous times and never had an issue, and it's been invaluably useful to me (e.g. when selling preorders to GAFers or on ebay). And if I couldn't use that option freely on Amazon it would negate a lot of the advantages of buying from Amazon in the first place for me.

What I'm saying is it can be worth the risk depending on your situation. I'd rather present it like that to people than an all-out "Never do it!" blanket recommendation.

Similarly, see people who only have horror stories of selling on ebay and swore it off forever while others have a largely positive experience and greatly benefit from it. Neither of them is wrong, but neither is an accurate generalization either.

Eh? That seems just too risky to play with when it comes to a hard to get item. When there's a high probability that you could just lose your order, it seems like the best advice is just to leave it alone. I just don't see how that's worth the risk when an end result can be you get nothing.

ReyVGM

Don't change anything. I had my Zelda BotW Master Edition cancelled because I wanted to change the shipping address.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I have a preorder at Amazon.de from June 27th. Is it safe to change the delivery address before it ships out? (I'm thinking of switching it to my work address)
You better not, just to be on the safe side. From what I've heard, making any changes to your order (payment, address, etc.) will push your order to the back of the line.

ReyVGM

Ridiculous they change orders of 2 to 1 but let stand 2 orders of 1.

So far.

There's still a month left.

I made two new amazon accounts for next time they open preorders. I'll try to get at least 3. One for me, for a friend, and to trade for a NES Classic.

Madame M

Banned
Nope, they have never required the verification code in my experience

Yeah I added a new card and switched payments and it didn't ask for it, maybe if you're not going to ask for it every time you order it makes more sense to never ask for it risk wise

Amazon never asks for card verification code.

Depends on where you are.

https://www.amazon.in/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201461830

When you make payments using credit/ debit card, your card number will be stored on our secure server so that you do not have to enter it every time you make a purchase using the same card. However, we will ask for your CVV number every time you place an order. Your CVV number will not be stored on our server to ensure enhanced security of your transaction.

For American Express cards, you will need to enter the zip/pincode of the billing address registered with your card. American Express will use this information as an additional security measure to approve your transaction.

Also, even in the US, sometimes Amazon will have you re-enter the full credit card number to verify it.

So far.

There's still a month left.

I made two new amazon accounts for next time they open preorders. I'll try to get at least 3. One for me, for a friend, and to trade for a NES Classic.
They will likely know that you created multiple accounts and will cancel your order. Happened to me before. And you'll receive a warning email about it. I've heard people lost their entire primary Amazon account due to creating multiple accounts in order to buy multiples of limited items, and they were perma banned from ever using Amazon again. That sounds like a nightmare scenario to me and not worth risking.

ReyVGM

They will likely know that you created multiple accounts and will cancel your order. Happened to me before. And you'll receive a warning email about it. I've heard people lost their entire primary Amazon account due to creating multiple accounts in order to buy multiples of limited items, and they were perma banned from ever using Amazon again. That sounds like a nightmare scenario to me and not worth risking.

But here's the thing, the SNES Classic page doesn't say it's a limited item, or that only 1 per customer is allowed (as far as I know). If it doesn't say that, then it shouldn't matter for account cancellation purposes.

I'm still ashamed in nintendo for this shit show. Even if you defend nintendo with all their decisions you don't think you'd learn from the NES classic??

Even the Wii / DS lite were super hot items but became accessible relatively easily

Fox Mulder

Wow, that's horrible.

ReyVGM

I'm still ashamed in nintendo for this shit show. Even if you defend nintendo with all their decisions you don't think you'd learn from the NES classic??

Even the Wii / DS lite were super hot items but became accessible relatively easily

Release is still a month away. There can be lots of preorders before that. And they going to keep producing more untis until December.

They can't even guarantee a release date for those who already did preorder - do you really expect them to put up more preorders before launch? Anything is possible, but I highly doubt it.

Top Bottom