• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Preorder Shitshow Discussion (Please Read Rules in OP)

Reminder again: Nin-Ten-Do is who to scream at. The retailers can only insert unit numbers and let their checkout software try to cope.

br3wnor

That, and scalpers are acutely aware of the resell potential even moreso than with the NES classic.

That’s the big difference this time around. I don’t think anyone expected the NES classic to sell for a $140 profit when it came out, but supply was low enough and demand so high that the scalpers made out like bandits.

Those same scalpers likely saved up money to purchase as many SNES’s as they could afford knowing it would do AT LEAST as well on the resale market compared to the NES. If these preorder windows are any indication, I think it’s actually going to be worse and you might see these things reselling for $300+ on the secondary market.

Fox Mulder

The thirst for this seems to be even higher than NES classic which is weird since NES outsold SNES back in the day.

Scalpers and bots are going to eat even if Nintendo tripled the nes classic production. That's like $300 on ebay now. Plus this was stated as limited up front unlike the nes classic.

snack

do you guys think that the snes classic will be moddable just like the nes classic, in terms of being able to put our own games into the thing and play it? the hype is real.

Alright people, calm down. This was initial pre-order allocations. Save your venom for when you're still unable to get one and it's actually clear that Nintendo woefully underproduced again.

do you guys think that the snes classic will be moddable just like the nes classic, in terms of being able to put our own games into the thing and play it? the hype is real.

No idea. I imagine the rewind feature is going to need some system resources to save that data. Same with the demo mode that uses your gameplay footage.

Based on the UI videos it looks to be almost identical to the NES Classic, which could already play SNES games easily after modding. I'm sure this will be no different, probably the exact same internals with a new shell.

shira

Reminder again: Nin-Ten-Do is who to scream at. The retailers can only insert unit numbers and let their checkout software try to cope.

4b0878e59d081bb01eb902a66b0872d2.png

Zee-Row

Banned
They really need to put these games on the Switch Virtual Console. It’s the only right way to go about this if you can’t produce enough.

Probably eventually. But considering all of this, one would really be better off getting a raspberry pi and putting retropie on it.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Don't give up hope all. I had all but written off ever even seeing a NES Classic in real life until Amazon did their little truck event last month. I don't think this will be the only shipment for the SNES Classic and I wouldn't be surprised if some stock is withheld for in store events and other rounds.

ChrisD

Oh, if there's lines in-store already, I'm screwed.

Wonder if the local one is lined up or not.

I'm fairly certain I just got hung up on once I finally reached the Mall location. Could hear the sound from the other end, then immediately, silence. It wouldn't shock me in the least, all the good employees left from there. I really don't like the folk working it now. Probably did just that.

How sure are we that the GameTrust/Amazon and Best Buy orders won't be canceled?

I mean, how can you trust that anything you order online won't be cancelled? As of now it seems like today was the go-live date for preorders so I doubt you'll get a repeat of last month's WalMart debacle.

cordy

Banned
Can't be 100% until it's in ur hands on 9/29

I see no reason to doubt the BB ones. The Amazon/GT one is so weird that who the fuck knows.

Yep I agree with both.
I mean, how can you trust that anything you order online won't be cancelled? As of now it seems like today was the go-live date for preorders so I doubt you'll get a repeat of last month's WalMart debacle.

Trrrrrrrrruuuuuuuuueeeeeeee.

BriGuy

Don't give up hope all. I had all but written off ever even seeing a NES Classic in real life until Amazon did their little truck event last month. I don't think this will be the only shipment for the SNES Classic and I wouldn't be surprised if some stock is withheld for in store events and other rounds.
Cool, just got to wait a year and live in one of the top five US cities and hope the magical truck deigns to drive by.

Ridley327

This seems worse than NES doesn't it?

Why? It's a completely masturbatory exercise. They are choosing that/this over making significantly more money by having significantly more units available.
We won't ever know, since the NES Classic never had widespread preorders and was strictly fending for yourself on the day of release.

BTA

In a in-store line. Their system isn't able to sell it yet though?

I'm going offline now because my phone's dangerously close to dying and I need to Uber home. Hoping I won't be here too long.

Nydius

Inept like a FOX...like someone else said earlier they care more about the Hype than the number of units sold.

The problem I have with this is... what exactly are they hyping? The 2/3DS is line is old and obviously on the way out the door while the Switch is suffering from similar supply chain problems/constraints. The Switch situation has gotten better since March but it's still problematic. Building up tons of Nintendo hype to try to sell Switch units when there are loads of people who can't even find a Switch seems like hype that's destined to backfire.

I can't imagine someone going "Well damn, couldn't get a NES Classic or an SNES Classic but this really makes me interested in a Swit... OH GODDAMNIT NO STORES HAVE SWITCH SYSTEMS EITHER!"

Sanke__

So was going to go to Gamestop on my lunch break

But

The police had the road blocked off and it took 20 minutes just to turn around

I don't think I am meant to have a SNES classic

Top Bottom