• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Preorder Shitshow Discussion (Please Read Rules in OP)

The Lamp

I went to gamestop 5 min after the tweet and when I got there 9 min later there were only 5 left. Holy fuck. The thirst is real. And I was in a poor neighborhood with hardly anyone there.

At least I got one. Fuck Nintendo for this

DH2ghv4UAAAy0R4.jpg%3Alarge

80% of those guys will be leaving disappointed

Hydrus

Man, I ordered one last night off BB just for the hell of it. Didint really care all that much for it tbh. Now, I'm definitely gonna hold on to it. This shit is ridiculous.

C.Mongler

You can also attempt to call your local state representatives but I doubt they'll know what you're talking about.

"It is our God given constitutional RIGHT to be able to purchase a Super NES Classic! Nintendo MUST produce enough units for every man, woman, and child who wants one, and you as my representative need to DO something about it!!!"

Nearest GameStop wasn't showing any preorders until clerk restarted his system. Then he showed 7 available preorders. I got the first one. The nightmare is over for me. Good luck everybody.

sense

The only way to really fix this problem is to
peacefully
protest outside the NOA offices directly.
You can also call your local support representative:
1-855-548-4693 (Corporate Social Responsibility)
e-mail form (Corporate Social Responsibility)
1 (800) 255-3700 (Generic Customer Service Number)
You can also attempt to call your local state representatives but I doubt they'll know what you're talking about.
Or we can just continue to bitch about it online in our little dysfunctional support group we call "Nintendo threads"
I am sorry but this is unnecessary. There are other ways to play these games and at the end of the day this is just a video game console. There are way more important things to protest over. If Nintendo isn't aware they are horrible at this by now, a protest isn't going to magically change them anyways.

Edit: this did not read like a joke whatsoever

MrMephistoX

The problem I have with this is... what exactly are they hyping? The 2/3DS is line is old and obviously on the way out the door while the Switch is suffering from similar supply chain problems/constraints. The Switch situation has gotten better since March but it's still problematic. Building up tons of Nintendo hype to try to sell Switch units when there are loads of people who can't even find a Switch seems like hype that's destined to backfire.

I can't imagine someone going "Well damn, couldn't get a NES Classic or an SNES Classic but this really makes me interested in a Swit... OH GODDAMNIT NO STORES HAVE SWITCH SYSTEMS EITHER!"

I don't agree with the strategy and am not trying to defend it but I think they have a reason for doing it...not necessarily a good one but it's clearly something they've put thought into and are doing deliberately.

BTA

Got the 5th of 10 at the GameStop I rushed to.

I'm eating almost $40 in Uber fees for this + picking it up but I have it, at least.

Def. had some employees in line, though.

cordy

Banned
I thank GAF for posting that GameTrust/Amazon link before even Wario posted it. I preordered last night and my order went through so I might have one but it's all thanks to GAF.

I am sorry but this is unnecessary. There are other ways to play these games and at the end of the day this is just a video game console. There are way more important things to protest over. If Nintendo isn't aware they are horrible at this by now, a protest isn't going to magically change them anyways.

This is a joke.

Kusagari

Yeah, the GS employees aren't holding orders for their friends. Most of them are just clueless as hell and don't realize GameStop's ancient system requires rebooting.

So let me tell you the story of the greatest woman on Earth:

My girlfriend.

While I'm at home freaking out over how each site seems to go down right as I'm pressing checkout, I see the GameStop smarmy tweet bout being scared of preorders.

I check her location using Find My Friends on iPhone (to Android users, this is like when Google stalks you, but with you significant other and not for ad monies), a saw that she was not only close to a GameStop, but driving in between errands.

I call her and tell her how desperate our odds are at this point.
She goes to the store, nervous that they won't know anything about the pre-orders.

As she's walking to the door, and bunch of men go sprinting past her into the store.

She managed to get in 3rd in line, and waits to pre-order us one.
The phone is ringing off the hook, and the system keeps crashing, but they bug her about rewards card and warranties* and pre-ordering other games, as per usual.
She ignores this all, like a boss, and pays for the system in full.
My girl.
She did it.

Don't tell her, but I'm about to put on a ring on her. This is some wife material, y'all.

*how would GameStop even honor this $10 warranty? I mean, if it breaks, how are they going to find another?

The GameStops don't have their system down, the one I went to was able to preorder it without a sweat even though there was a line.

I don't think it's working the same at every GameStop. The manager was right in front of me refreshing and calling other stores. Able to preorder after he rebooted. Possibly just coincidental though.

I guess we don't need any more confirmation that last night's amazon preorder with the weird name is legit if it's the the best seller item.

Got 1
Was first in line too
So fucking dumb, NoA you dummies

Feel bad for GameStop employees , phones were ringing non stop

I'll give the employee a perfect rating

Edit: this did not read like a joke whatsoever

Yeah and if it was a joke, it wasn't a great one. But for his efforts I give him a winky face ;)

Lol it's getting super crowded in this tiny store. And the phone, they just said fuck it and it literally hasn't stopped ringing since I got here almost 10 minutes ago.

jmizzal

The only way to really fix this problem is to
peacefully
protest outside the NOA offices directly.
You can also call your local support representative:
1-855-548-4693 (Corporate Social Responsibility)
e-mail form (Corporate Social Responsibility)
1 (800) 255-3700 (Generic Customer Service Number)
Or we can just continue to bitch about it online in our little dysfunctional support group we call "Nintendo threads"

Its a limited item they even came out and said its a limited item, this isnt a major system release or game release, doing that isnt gonna do anything.

At least this time they are taking preorders unlike the NES mini

That's the big difference this time around. I don't think anyone expected the NES classic to sell for a $140 profit when it came out, but supply was low enough and demand so high that the scalpers made out like bandits.

Those same scalpers likely saved up money to purchase as many SNES's as they could afford knowing it would do AT LEAST as well on the resale market compared to the NES. If these preorder windows are any indication, I think it's actually going to be worse and you might see these things reselling for $300+ on the secondary market.

I can see that quite easily. Based on the various sites I visit I feel like there's a greater nostalgia factor/popularity for the SNES. Link to the past, Yoshi's Island, Contra III, Final Fantasy III, Mario Kart, Super Metroid and the like have transcended the 16 bit era and are as enjoyable today as they were 25 years ago. The thirst is strong and real. And as predicted by many, it seems that Nintendo has fucked up..............again.

Nydius

Anyone know what is up with the walmart "Arrives bu thurs, oct. 5" notice if you preordered?

I'm guessing it's Walmart just covering their asses. My interpretation of it (and this could be entirely wrong so just take it as a hypothetical) is that they assume the units won't enter the supply chain until the 29th, so it'll take time to get them out to distribution centers and then out to each shipping center or ship-to-store location.

Its a limited item they even came out and said its a limited item, this isnt a major system release or game release, doing that isnt gonna do anything.

At least this time they are taking preorders unlike the NES mini

He has since said this is a "joke" for what it's worth.

Top Bottom