• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Preorder Shitshow Discussion (Please Read Rules in OP)

ricelord

Got my order in at gamestop I was the first one to get it. Felt bad for the workers people was calling non stop about preorders.

ZeroCDR

Sooo I haven't heard anything about Paypal being an issue except on this thread. Do we think Best Buy is relatively safe if I've gotten the confirmation emails and it's showing up in my order history?

If it's any relief, I paid for my NES Classic with Paypal at Best Buy during a restock earlier this year and had no issues. Heck, Customer Service even adjusted my shipping cost after the fact because I unintentionally paid for expedited shipping while rushing through the order page.

Got my order in at gamestop I was the first one to get it. Felt bad for the workers people was calling non stop about preorders.

I feel bad for the folks at a job today that can't just up and leave. It's the middle of Tuesday, FFS.

This whole round of pre-orders seems really, really weird.

Zen Aku

The Gamestop closest to me are only getting 6...I was #5. This is insane. Does anyone know if you can go to another GameStop to get another or will their system know you got one already and not allow you?
By the time you make it to another GameStop. It's probably already all gone.
They said never took pre orders. That the system is down. They are probably bullshitting. Nothing i can do
I'm at another store. Their system is also down.

Stencil

When I walked into my GS I was the only one in the store but both associates were on the phone. Like I said, I was able to secure the 8/8 one. In all of Minneapolis, there were only 8 available.

MrMephistoX

If it's any relief, I paid for my NES Classic with Paypal at Best Buy during a restock earlier this year and had no issues. Heck, Customer Service even adjusted my shipping cost after the fact because I unintentionally paid for expedited shipping while rushing through the order page.

That's a relief thanks! I was half tempted to call them but realize changing payment methods might not be the best idea if it re-sets the queue or something.

Bakercat

I almost gave up, but I realized that I could pre order at GameStop store. I called and they had 7 available at my store. I got there and only I and another were there for it. For warning, they usually want a deposit at the store for preorder. I had to put $25 down for it, but I got it preordered at least! The hype and thirst was real lol.

Saw the GameStop tweet about in-store preorders, couldn't find my wallet. Scrambled like mad for 20 minutes until I finally found it.

Went there and had two people in line in front of me. Was worried.

Managed to get one, paid off. I am ready. I got cart jacked on Target, and I was part of the Walmart thing a month or so ago.

My GameStop had like nine, and when I left there were two or three left.

Now its time to put in for 9/29 off so I can actually enjoy the thing.

Good luck to everyone out there. The thirst is real.

Scored one!

Walked into Gamestop and was immediately told they are sold out then I got stopped by this guy named John who ended up giving me his friends preorder. Thanks John!

They only had 6 in stock -_-

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I have the worst fucking headache right now. I blame Nintendo.

Hit my Gamestop right around 1:40 -- no one else in there.

They said their preorders had just gone up, but their computer was glitching for a couple minutes while I just twiddled my thumbs.

Then... it came online, they took my info, and I got my preorder!

Funny, I hadn't been following the SNES classic at all, but had some random thought this morning when I woke up how much fun it would be to play w/ my kids. Then saw the Gaf thread, sat F5ing for about 20 minutes at 1:00 PM with no luck. And real-world foraging won the day.

Sulik2

I feel bad for the folks at a job today that can't just up and leave. It's the middle of Tuesday, FFS.

This whole round of pre-orders seems really, really weird.

The stores actually know their inventory allocations this time and they just are not getting many. Last time stores took preorders early and Nintendo only fulfilled something like 20% of the preoders. This is what happens when you under produce and under price a product massively. Nintendo's majority shareholders should be screaming their heads off at the amount of revenue Nintendo is leaving on the table.

Stencil

Hit my Gamestop right around 1:40 -- no one else in there.

They said their preorders had just gone up, but their computer was glitching for a couple minutes while I just twiddled my thumbs.

Then... it came online, they took my info, and I got my preorder!

Funny, I hadn't been following the SNES classic at all, but had some random thought this morning when I woke up how much fun it would be to play w/ my kids. Then saw the Gaf thread, sat F5ing for about 20 minutes at 1:00 PM with no luck. And real-world foraging won the day.

Well well well. Just waltz on in, on a whim, huh.

The stores actually know their inventory allocations this time and they just are not getting many. Last time stores took preorders early and Nintendo only fulfilled something like 20% of the preoders. This is what happens when you under produce and under price a product massively. Nintendo's majority shareholders should be screaming their heads off at the amount of revenue Nintendo is leaving on the table.

I do not understand Nintendo's logic. Pissing off consumers by underproducing, pissing off shareholders by underpricing. Yikes, man, yikes.

This is what happens when you under produce and under price a product massively. Nintendo's majority shareholders should be screaming their heads off at the amount of revenue Nintendo is leaving on the table.
I dunno, according to a fair number of people here they're overpricing it. And that they could buy a watch with more processing power for less.

No I don't know what that means either.

Tanooki_Suit_Up

Neo Member
Not sure how I managed it. I called my local gamestop, and they said they were taking a limited number of preorders. So I SPRINTED to my car, drove like a madman, SPRINTED into my local mall, and was like 8th in line of a line that had been moving for a while beforehand.

Still, I got my preorder! I paid in full because I've heard of situations where only those who had fully pre-paid got first dibs on preorders. Going to go zealously guard this receipt now...

I can't wait for the official comment from NoA tonight about how they had no idea anyone wanted these and how shocked they are at the demand.

It will be accompanied by a photo of Reggie casually tossing a handful into a dumpster.

I think it is time to accept that you should just build a retropie. Nintendo could make a ton of money off these but chooses not to. Novelty and nostalgia is nice but you'll enjoy the games just the same. Gaf has a community here for it. Look into it.

Southaven Mississippi has two games tops across gooodman from each other. North side, six preorders and none left.

South side had 12 preorders and 4 gone when I showed up. Guy behind the counterwas frantically making calls.

All this was about 8 minutes after I saw wario64's tweet.

Good luck out there!

LordofPwn

I am sorry but this is unnecessary. There are other ways to play these games and at the end of the day this is just a video game console. There are way more important things to protest over. If Nintendo isn't aware they are horrible at this by now, a protest isn't going to magically change them anyways.

Edit: this did not read like a joke whatsoever
lol. this was a joke, idk how I could have made it more clear.

AkumaNiko

As soon as i saw the tweet posted here, i bounced for lunch and went to the closest GS near my work.

4.5 miles. about 10 lights and a short freeway drive.

First parking spot i saw about 100 feet away.

I got stopped by (2) 15-30 second lights

I got into the store and had 1 person already in, 2 walk in right ahead of me. 30 seconds after i was in line, 5 people walked in, they had 5 left including mine. Had i been stopped by another light, i would have been screwed.

The. thirst. is. real.

MrMephistoX

I was able to get one last night on Best Buy, got denied through the website, then tried the app and everything went through.

That's my only big worry...it was almost too fucking easy very smooth compared to Wal-Mart being gone in like 20 seconds. Maybe we lucked out because it was completely unexpected whereas the damn bots were ready today: fingers crossed!

Kensation

Meanwhile at Nintendo:
giphy.gif

spad3

Got mine at GameStop, apparently got the last one at my store.

Idk if this helps because it varies by store, but I called at 10:41AM PST requesting quantity, the lady said they had 5 left. Got to the store at 10:50AM PST, and managed to snag the last one.

Guy walked in right after i checked out and gave me the stare after the lady told him she just sold the last one...

Feels weird saying this, but GameStop actually came through for once.

YES.

There's no way that they didn't see the demand for this thing ahead of time...they have social teams, and they have a recent example with a similar product. They could clean house with this if they wanted to, right now.

Top Bottom