• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So there's this game...

243357.jpg
243357.jpg
243357.jpg

243357.jpg
243357.jpg
243357.jpg

243357.jpg
243357.jpg
243357.jpg

243357.jpg
243357.jpg
243357.jpg

Its probably the best rpg of the year! No its not a Barbie game!

These days I only like to spend time with Unique RPG experiences. Dragon Quarter, Dark Cloud 2, and now Shin Megami Tensei Nocturn. A game that poops all over those cliched RPG releases that we're guaranteed to keep seeing until the end of time.

Style, Substance, this game has it all!

243357.jpg
243357.jpg
243357.jpg

Well for one, its different. Its not Final Fantasy. Its concept alone is refreshing. Thats the main draw for me.

The combat is turn based but focuses a lot on manipulating weakneses and playing to the desires of your opponents. Nagging them, Beseeching them, or just talking to them can produce different outcomes during a battle which can either make your life easier or harder. For example if my main character talks to an enemy during a battle, thats the only chance I get, but if I use another of my party there's an additional member that almost always helps out by providing the target recruit with additional urgings to join.

Haha, I also remember this one time I tried to recruit a demon and the one next to it got pissed off claiming I shouldnt try to steal its best friend.

Then there's the aspect that appeals to the collectoritis in all of us. Demon recruiting, combining, and sacrificing are all as important as leveling the main character up. Your support is key, and crafting the perfect team is definitely a goal. There's actually a lot to the whole fusion system which im still discovering.

The things mentioned above help this RPG stand above the clones with titles like Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter and (despite the hate on this forum) Dark Cloud 2. Rpgs not afraid to kick final fantasy out the back door and make some risky moves of their own.

Furthermore this game is a stylistic experience. Something that's rare in the belt ladden, mountain dew drinking, extreme games of this era. Oh sure, its cool to be edgy and goth cut cut but there's something to be said for what Nocturn brings to the table.

Im a ways in, but im sure there's things im missing so. There's also that official thread up top but I think the acronym and the fact that its a sticky keeps people from looking at it. Plus its mostly full of. OMG! WTF! GAME ROX! or IM STUCK! or GOT IT! or whatever...

oh, and:

243357.jpg
243357.jpg
243357.jpg

243357.jpg
243357.jpg
243357.jpg

243357.jpg
243357.jpg
243357.jpg

243357.jpg
243357.jpg
243357.jpg

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
As I was clicking on this thread, I though to myself "Why bother? A cock suck is a cock suck." :)

Of course, thanks to Dragona's pimpage on IRC, I might actually pick up SMT to squeeze in between GTA sessions.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Rofl the first post was funny, never saw that one before.

Yeah I know you guys are going to hate me but I'm waiting until the TRU 2 for 3 deal before I get this. It's not because I don't want it but other RPGs already came out before it and I have to finish them before I pick up a new one. Thanks a lot for pimping this game you guys, it seems to be working and this game deserves it.

AeroGod

Part of me wants to play this, part of me doesnt want to spend the money for it, and all of me wishes I had a working PS2.

FUCKING SECOND SHIPMENT OF PSTwo better HURRY!

Zaptruder

Banned
If it doesn't come out here, or I'm too poor for it, should I still find some way to acquire it?

It sounds like its that good.

Top Bottom