• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So.. will the xbox platform see a single 2024 GOTY contender released this year?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yeah cause "they" were also in sonys pockets with concord.

"They" definitely tried.

GIF by filmeditor

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Mario Wonder was nominated last year. Dont underestimate the power of Nintendo nostalgia.

I don't at all, but I just dont see Zelda's Adventure or whatever its called really breaking new ground and becoming the new Jesus.

The Link's Awakening remake certainly didnt move any mountains and at first glance it looks just like it with a character swap.

The Peach Showtime game didnt fly off shelves and neither will Zelda starring Zelda.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Hellblade 2 sucked ass - Should win graphics of the year though
Indiana Jones looks mid
Stalker looks even more mid

I dont know wtf MS is doing but even with 32 studios, they cant seem to release a single GOTY contender.

I have been very vocal about Sony's lack of great first party output this gen, but they have managed to release at least one game every year that I can firmly say is in my top 3. Returnal in 2021, GOW in 2022, Spiderman 2 in 2023, and I guess Astro bot in 2024. Not a fan of the moneyhats though. Especially the FF games. No reason why they shouldnt be on xbox.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Hellblade 2 sucked ass - Should win graphics of the year though
Indiana Jones looks mid
Stalker looks even more mid

I dont know wtf MS is doing but even with 32 studios, they cant seem to release a single GOTY contender.

I have been very vocal about Sony's lack of great first party output this gen, but they have managed to release at least one game every year that I can firmly say is in my top 3. Returnal in 2021, GOW in 2022, Spiderman 2 in 2023, and I guess Astro bot in 2024. Not a fan of the moneyhats though. Especially the FF games. No reason why they shouldnt be on xbox.

And they fired the only developer to come close! MS Mostly Stupid for sure.

Jaybe

None of Xbox’s first party studios will make a GOTY game this year. The only hope for the platform to have one is likely The Plucky Squire (if hype is to be believed) or the new Dragon Age, which is a long shot but the prior game won GOTY so some chance it gets a nomination

Last edited:
I liked it, its much shorter than the usual Yakuza games if that helps.I'd defo reccomend playing the man who erased his name

Yea there's no way I don't play the man who erased his name first. I heard it was shorter which does help. I'm glad you reminded me though I always love playing a Yakuza game when I'm just not feeling anything else. I don't know why but something about those games is just a nice palate cleanser.

S0ULZB0URNE

FF7 remake 2 ? nope
Zelda ? nope
Astrobot? nope
Wukong? nope

What remaining game has the best chance of hanging with this crowd? I guess my pick would be that Indiana Jones game where you don’t even see Indy because it’s first person.

Remind me again why MS spent so
much money buying up the competition?
Careful now

LordCBH

Hellblade 2 is still my current frontrunner. I'm looking forward to Stalker and Indiana Jones. MS doesnt really make the kinds of mainstream stuff that gets universal acclaim. Even Indiana Jones being 1st person is apparently controversial. Dungeons of Hinterberg is likely in my top 5 as well.

I’m hoping Stalker 2 is good. I loved the atmosphere of the earlier ones but the difficulty was a turn off for me.

DragonNCM

Hellblade 2 is still my current frontrunner. I'm looking forward to Stalker and Indiana Jones. MS doesnt really make the kinds of mainstream stuff that gets universal acclaim. Even Indiana Jones being 1st person is apparently controversial. Dungeons of Hinterberg is likely in my top 5 as well.
Hellblade 2 ?
I think not....
Stalker 2 is my best bet !

Ozriel

M$FT
HCwI0h5.jpeg

The sequel to this comes out in November. Probably the most realistic chance of getting a 90 ish rated title on the platform this year.

OP is wrong, though. Tekken 8, Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth and Shin Megami Tensei are better rated than Wukong.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
"They" definitely tried.

GIF by filmeditor
Even you know that sometimes you just have to do what you have to do to cash that check. 😜

El Muerto

Gold Member
Indiana Jones will likely get it. Games released toward the end of the year usually get GOTY. But The Game Awards is starting to feel like the emmys, those that deserve to win usually dont and it's just one big circle jerk.

nial

They don't do the other side of the coin, either. Same MS that originally closed Tango Gameworks, everyone.

Camreezie

Yea there's no way I don't play the man who erased his name first. I heard it was shorter which does help. I'm glad you reminded me though I always love playing a Yakuza game when I'm just not feeling anything else. I don't know why but something about those games is just a nice palate cleanser.
Agreed dude, Im holding off on Infinite Wealth til im done with some other games and the change in genre/tone is always appreciated

Robb

Gold Member
Indiana Jones could be great, Machine Games makes some really fun stuff imo - with the exception of Wolfenstein Youngblood.

I hope Astro Bot snags all the awards though.

wipeout364

FF7 remake 2 ? nope
Zelda ? nope
Astrobot? nope
Wukong? nope

What remaining game has the best chance of hanging with this crowd? I guess my pick would be that Indiana Jones game where you don’t even see Indy because it’s first person.

Remind me again why MS spent so
much money buying up the competition?

Remember this classic thread from aerts1js that got locked:

In Remembrance of Xbox (Favorite and Worst Memory) (aertsj1 was focused on negative don't worry)​

or how about this other classic thread created by aerts1js:

So…. Why is Machine Games Indy and not the next Quake?

Which was another dump on XBOX thread of no redeeming value.
Maybe aerts1js should stop creating threads with no purpose but to be negative to Xbox owners or maybe move to the gamefaqs forums.

blacktout

I think Astrobot has GOTY locked down at this point. Only potential competitors are FFVII Rebirth and Echoes of Wisdom, and I think both are extreme long shots, since FFVII launched so early in the year and 2D Zelda generally doesn't attract the same level of critical acclaim as the 3D entries.

"They" definitely tried.

GIF by filmeditor
The gaming media is a joke 🫠

aerts1js

In Remembrance of Xbox (Favorite and Worst Memory) (aertsj1 was focused on negative don't worry)​

Maybe aerts1js should stop creating threads with no purpose but to be negative to Xbox owners or maybe move to the gamefaqs forums.
“ stop being mean to us” wah

I’m sorry but the point of the thread still is valid.

Nydius

Or maybe you could stop trying to tell everyone else what threads have "redeeming value".
Seems like you'd do better at GameFAQs yourself.

Ozriel

M$FT

Ah. Same dude?

Pathetic 🤣

Last edited:

BossLackey

Gold Member

We have...very different taste in video games.

Mownoc

Well you'd be wrong as the big update for Flightsim 2024 is out November and that will rate over 90+ no problem at all.
Damn you're right. I really forgot about that juggernaut. It most likely will get 90+ though the first one got 91 so a couple of points lower isn't out of the question.

Da1337Vinci

Neo Member
Why you do this ? You know the answer.

But thinking more about the question only shot they have is Avowed.
Let me correct myself.

I forgot Avowed is delayed.

So the only thing left is indi.
But a mainly FPS stealth game and it's a licensed IP to boot winning. I can't see it.

Looking at Sony 30 years Playstation anniversary plus Astro Bot is an celebration of the brand itself.

If I were to write a story I would choose Astro Bot to win.

Last edited:

wipeout364

Or maybe you could stop trying to tell everyone else what threads have "redeeming value".
Seems like you'd do better at GameFAQs yourself.
Why would he frame the thread like this is my point? "What are the game of the year contenders?" would be much more constructive conversation wise. This title is essentially XBox sucks, people that own it are idiots. I don't care if that's your opinion but it's console warring at its worst. Aerts1js has a ongoing pattern of making threads like this. I admit I am an Xbox owner use it as my primary console, I also have a PS5, a Switch and relatively modern PC .

Machine Games is an awesome studio, I'm excited for Indiana Jones.
I've heard Towerborne was amazing in demos, though not sure if that's a GOTY contender
Stalker 2 looks fun.

But anyway yeah, Indiana Jones is looking like it's shaping up well.

DragonNCM

I think Astrobot has GOTY locked down at this point. Only potential competitors are FFVII Rebirth and Echoes of Wisdom, and I think both are extreme long shots, since FFVII launched so early in the year and 2D Zelda generally doesn't attract the same level of critical acclaim as the 3D entries.
You are joking....right ?

Top Bottom