• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So.. will the xbox platform see a single 2024 GOTY contender released this year?

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I understand opinions are subjective but seriously?

Looks like ‘modern audience’ slop. Was it on Game Pass or something? How does a game like that even hit your radar?

I dont think you guys understand how many indie games I play. This was on my radar since the 1st trailer in 2023 at an Xbox showcase.

Mario Wonder was nominated last year. Dont underestimate the power of Nintendo nostalgia.

I know my opinion is in the minotiry and I can respect that but I just never understood the love Nintendo games get. I got a switch as my first Nintendo since the NES. I got all the top games and all of them were ok at best. Mario rabbids I would say was a good game. I just don't get how people love their games so much but they are clearly seeing something that I just don't.

Wait I did think XBC2 was really damn good. I even tried the first one when they remastered it and holy shit one of the few times I've put like 20 hours into a game and just said I'm good and dropped it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Is there an award for " worst ran company " ?

Even that's gonna be a Sony win for Firewalk Studios.

Sad Season 2 GIF by Friends

blacktout

You are joking....right ?
... No? Are there any other major games this year that have had a critical reception as strong as Astrobot and Rebirth? Everything else I can think of ended up in the mid 80s on Metacritic.

Zelda is an unknown, obviously, but I said as much in my comment.

Yoboman

We all hit the wrong button when we said 2024 was year of the Xbox. We meant 2025 was the year of the Xbox

Damn, Microsoft sucked this year. They won't win Game of the Year or worst game of the year. Sony probably will. You know you suck when your competition will probably win both.

demigod

People assuming Indiana has no shot of being one of the best games of the year is delusional or hasn’t played their 2 previous wolfenstein games. Both of them are some of the best FPS campaigns over the last 10 years.
Indiana is mid as fuck, it's not going to win game of the year. You wanna place an avatar bet?

peter42O

Neo Member
Indiana Jones and the Great Circle has a chance to win my 2024 game of the year but other than that, there's nothing else this year from Microsoft that comes close to winning my 2024 game of the year. My current 2024 game of the year though is Stellar Blade.

When is the last time Xbox had a true GOTY contending game?

I’m talking about a true GOTY contender - not a “nominee” like how TGA always has like 6 “nominees” but only 2 games have a legitimate shot to win it.

demigod

People assuming Indiana has no shot of being one of the best games of the year is delusional or hasn’t played their 2 previous wolfenstein games. Both of them are some of the best FPS campaigns over the last 10 years.

Did you play wolfenstein 1 or 2?

Also I didn’t say win GOTY. Said it could certainly be a contender though.
You need to reread what you wrote. It won't even be a contender. The only game of the year it'll be is in your mind.

sainraja

Hellblade 2 is the best game you played this year.
He's very serious. Hellblade 2 is an entirely new genre so he can like it...OR... he's trolling (the type of trolling where you don't admit that you are). :D
But, I go back and forth on that.

Easily, so far. I dont really care if people agree. Still Wakes the Deep is also a top 10 contender for me.
Oh, you care. You definitely care.

Last edited:

aerts1js

When is the last time Xbox had a true GOTY contending game?

I’m talking about a true GOTY contender - not a “nominee” like how TGA always has like 6 “nominees” but only 2 games have a legitimate shot to win it.
Ya’know I thought of opening thread with that but I figured I’d just kinda give the xbox brigade a bit of a hard time focusing on only this year rather than crush their soul with that point.

Last edited:

Atrus

Gold Member
If we go by the VGA’s then no, this would be the 12th consecutive failure of XBOX at that award show. There is a chance it could win the BAFTA British GotY with Hellblade 2.

Since GTA6 is releasing next year and Take Two tends to smash award shows with their heavy hitters, it’s doubtful XBOX will win next year either.

Last edited:
Indy is the only shot to be in the conversation, and a long shot based on footage. So far it seems like a high 70s type of game. But granted, we haven't seen much at all. I think it's ceiling is around mid 80s which probably isn't good enough, but I'd like to be pleasantly surprised. The modern audiences comment doesn't give me much faith.

ZehDon

From Xbox itself? Nah. I'm expecting Indiana Jones to be pretty dull.
For the platform? It's already had Shadow of the Erdtree, but STALKER 2 is gonna be a dark horse.

Crayon

I know my opinion is in the minotiry and I can respect that but I just never understood the love Nintendo games get. I got a switch as my first Nintendo since the NES. I got all the top games and all of them were ok at best. Mario rabbids I would say was a good game. I just don't get how people love their games so much but they are clearly seeing something that I just don't.

Wait I did think XBC2 was really damn good. I even tried the first one when they remastered it and holy shit one of the few times I've put like 20 hours into a game and just said I'm good and dropped it.

I think the games are some of the most consistent and even best out there, but somehow still way overrated. They tend to get put on a high pedestal. And they are definitely not for everyone, contrary to their reputation.

Botw is probably the greatest step in mainstream game design in the last 15 years. But Mario Kart 8 makes my eyes roll back into my head.

I fell off Nintendo after having a Wii. The Wii u was the only one I skipped. I actually thought the switch was a great idea. Couldn't wait to get one. Well, it doesn't get much use. I've got to admit it is worth it for the occasional Nintendo game IF that does it for you.

Rockman33

You need to reread what you wrote. It won't even be a contender. The only game of the year it'll be is in your mind.
You literally highlighted exactly what I said. “One of the best games of the year”.

You didn’t answer my question. Did you play the last 2 games the studio has made? Wolfenstein 1 & 2? And if you didn’t you have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

You and many others are dismissing it because the studio is now owned by Xbox. Try and be objective.

“ stop being mean to us” wah

I’m sorry but the point of the thread still is valid.
You do not see him talking about resident jilted Sega-MS-PC fanboy, I believe his name was Art...... something. Dude loves shitting on Sony like Hermen and Shu stole his GF and killed his dog or something. Some of the worst threads on this site.

Denton

STALKER 2 will be my GOTY most likely, and that's the only thing that matters.

Playing it on PC of course.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
My copy of astro bot arrives today. Can't wait.

I also can't wait to play indie and stalker 2, blops 6 and flight sim.

Age of mythology just launched and is pumping some serious numbers. I want to dive into that as well.

Lots of good games from MS lined up.

Last edited:

DruWepro

Banned
i think Astro Bot is the first great game of 2024
Wukong is a big disappointment for me
this gen has been the worst so far

Someone post a picture of the lead writer of Indiana Cuck & The Boss Bitch Adventure :messenger_grinning_smiling:

The only GOTY lists itll make will be Alyssa Mercantes and Bloombergs.
Indy is the only shot to be in the conversation, and a long shot based on footage. So far it seems like a high 70s type of game. But granted, we haven't seen much at all. I think it's ceiling is around mid 80s which probably isn't good enough, but I'd like to be pleasantly surprised. The modern audiences comment doesn't give me much faith.
I have not been following Indy, though I am mildly interested in that game. From what you guys are saying, the dev team seems to have been infiltrated by the DEI/ESG brigade. Is this true?
Talking about arthands? If so, yeah he's a dumbass.
Yeah, that same dude, insanely obsessed with every single Sony failure. He would have created a thread celebrating the failure of Astrobot if it did not get >90 MC score. He might still make one if it does not cross 10 million sales.

Flintty

Nope.

Lucky for me, I got my first PS console this year. My patience and belief in Xbox’s ability to offer anything substantial that I can’t play anywhere else has all but evaporated, despite their huge IP collection. At this rate the next gen will be the first gen I don’t buy Xbox day one.

I want them to reel me back in with Fable but for now, I have zero expectations from Xbox.

Top Bottom