• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic CD (Retro Engine) |OT| Where We're Going, We Don't Need Backbone

Sonic-CD.jpg

Release Dates:
XBLA – Out Now!
PSN – December 14, 2011 in Europe, December 20, 2011 in North America ($5.00 / £3.59/ €4.49 / AUD$6.25)
iOS – (iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad) – Out Now!($4.99/ € 3.99/£2.99/AUD$5.49)
Android – Out Now!
Windows Phone – Early 2012
PC – date coming soon!

Launch trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ_esthqnaU

Developer Diary: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEZkrXaBkl0

SONIC BOOM in 1080p: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VND5nxXkJg (Thanks jambo!)

Description:
SEGA said:
SEGA Europe Ltd. and SEGA of America, Inc. today announced that fan favourite Sonic CD will be released on multiple platforms from tomorrow. Relive the story of the 1993 original, which sees Dr. Eggman again, attempting to take control of time by stealing the Time Stones from Little Planet. Sonic must speed through levels and travel through time whilst fending off Eggman’s robots to recover the Time Stones and save the smitten young hedgehog, Amy Rose.

The revamped version Sonic CD will include the original Japanese and US soundtracks as requested by the fans, and, for the first time, the ability to play the game as Sonic’s best friend Tails, unlockable by clearing the game for the first time. Sonic CD also features the first appearance of Metal Sonic, one of Sonic’s most enduring nemesis.

“Sonic’s 20th Anniversary has been a banner year for him – as well as for everyone at SEGA,” said Haruki Satomi, Senior Vice President of Digital Business at SEGA of America. “Gamers around the world are rediscovering their love of Sonic through his adventures, new and old. Whether you’re a long-time hedgehog aficionado looking to enjoy a favourite moment from Sonic’s past, or a brand-new player who wants to join in on the fun, there’s no better place to start than with one of Sonic’s most celebrated games, Sonic CD.”

Sonic CD will be available tomorrow from Xbox LIVE Arcade for the Xbox 360, priced at 400 Microsoft Points, the PlayStation Network in Europe for $5.00/£3.59/€4.49 /AUD$6.25 and iPhone, iPod touch, iPad for $4.99/AUD$5.49/Euro $3.99/UK £2.99. Sonic CD will be released on the PlayStation Network in America on 20th December and for Android and Windows Phone 7 devices in the New Year. Electronic Theatre will keep you updated with all the latest details on Sonic CD.

Highlights:
Dark Schala said:
-Created with the "Retro Engine" by Christian "Taxman" Whitehead (so basically a fan-created engine)
-Locked 60fps on every platform
-Playable Tails, unlocked after beating the game once
-Both Japanese/EU and US soundtracks (unsure of ability to toggle on the fly)
-Can choose between Sonic 2-styled spindash or Sonic CD spindash
-iOS features
-Time-attack leaderboards
-Achievements/Trophies
-Widescreen support
-Ability to toggle between new and old filters/graphics modes in real time
-Android version will support Xperia Play control input
Soniccd-cover.jpg

SCREENSHOTS:

6302826145_9c9a991a37.jpg

24248Tails5.png

gfs_49881_2_47.jpg

iavi

This is how you do a fucking port. Sonic 3 & Knuckles next, Sega. I don't care about that backbone psuedo-lock-on mess, I'll pay again to have it done right as a stand-alone..

Like I said in the other thread, will be looking forward to my first ever Sonic CD experience.

Also, don't forget that there's a "dynamic" theme available on PSN.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Also, don't forget that there's a "dynamic" theme available on PSN.
This should be in the OP.

I compiled a list of things included in the release in the other thread in case we forgot anything.

-Created with the "Retro Engine" by Christian "Taxman" Whitehead (so basically a fan-created engine)
-Locked 60fps on every platform
-Playable Tails, unlocked after beating the game once
-Both Japanese/EU and US soundtracks (unsure of ability to toggle on the fly)
-Can choose between Sonic 2-styled spindash or Sonic CD spindash
-iOS features
-Time-attack leaderboards
-Achievements/Trophies
-Widescreen support
-Ability to toggle between new and old filters/graphics modes in real time
-Android version will support Xperia Play control input

In all seriousness, both track versions have some choice picks.
Yep.

smurfx

get some go again
yes i'm finally going to play this game again! i played it before back when i was a kid and then never again.

Growing up with Nintendo consoles limited my experience with Sonic games. Is it viable to play this with the analog stick or is a good D-Pad required? Not sure which console version to purchase.

Teknoman

Growing up with Nintendo consoles limited my experience with Sonic games. Is it viable to play this with the analog stick or is a good D-Pad required? Not sure which console version to purchase.

You dont really need a good d-pad...but it does help.

EDIT: Sonic Generations HD PC and Sonic CD HD in the same year? So awesome.

I played whatever games my siblings owned when I was a kid, and they had a Sega CD and all of the Sonic games on the Genesis, but they never got Sonic CD! I'm glad the game is being re-released, and at such a high standard of quality no less.

From TSSZ, an update on the Sega Blog

XBLA – December 14, 2011 (400 MSP)

PSN – December 14, 2011 in Europe, December 20, 2011 in North America ($5.00 / £3.59/ €4.49 / AUD$6.25)

iOS – (iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad) – December 15, 2011 ($4.99/ € 3.99/£2.99/AUD$5.49)

Android – December 14, 2011

Windows Phone – Early 2012

PC – date coming soon!

iOS version got bumped back a day, Android version coming out on the same day as XBLA, Dec 14th.

Suairyu

Banned
Which soundtrack is better? US or Japan?
JP soundtrack = better music
US soundtrack = better soundtrack

Basically, JP tunes sound like songs first and BGM second, whereas it's the other way around with the US. Both have their qualities and both are worth experiencing the game to.

Is it port begging to wish this was coming to VC as well? :(

I wanted all my 2D MD era Sonic channels in a row on one screen, would have been cool. Yea could play Gems Collection but its not the same as having them all there looking at me nicely on one screen lol.

I love the added Tails thing, I wish more games would add simple features like this that don't take anything away from the original, just a really cool bonus! I love all the fan-made rom hack things that do that sorta 'feature' so seeing it in an official thing gives me hope for future stuff. Sega also did that online VC game too?

btkadams

you should be fine with the analog stick, but i vastly prefer using the d-pad when i play sonic games on my ps3. i'm sure i could get used to using a stick though.

alf717

I thought Sonic Boom was taken out cause of a copyright issue? Man I want to know what the deal is with the PC release. Wonder if this will be on GFWL so I can use up my points I'm sitting on.

Teknoman

JP soundtrack = better music
US soundtrack = better soundtrack

Basically, JP tunes sound like songs first and BGM second, whereas it's the other way around with the US. Both have their qualities and both are worth experiencing the game to.

I know this will probably be alot of the OT's content...but I still think the JP music for the most part is better to run around in a Sonic game to. US tracks on the other hand are just cool...but just seem like they would fit a slower paced platformer more.

I wanted all my 2D MD era Sonic channels in a row on one screen, would have been cool. Yea could play Gems Collection but its not the same as having them all there looking at me nicely on one screen lol.

I thought I was the only one.

Ah well, maybe we can make it happen with the Wii U.

Suairyu

Banned
I know this will probably be alot of the OT's content...but I still think the JP music for the most part is better to run around in a Sonic game to. US tracks on the other hand are just cool...but just seem like they would fit a slower paced platformer more.
I generally thought Sonic CD was a slower paced platformer, to be honest. It was Plot Device: The Hunt: The Game.

Only time you went fast was when you wanted to travel to The Past (never the future, because it's pointless, unless you were trying to 'experience' everything to get your money's worth). Rest of the time you were either hunting for plot devices or going "oh fuck oh fuck I hit a Future post mustn't go too fast".

But seriously, both soundtracks have some quality compositions.

Top Bottom