• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Forces |OT|- Nothin personnel, kid

Kimawolf

H2x1_NSwitch_SonicForces_image1280w.jpg

Publisher: SEGA
Developer: Sonic Team
Multiplayer: 2 (Co-Op)
Release Date: Nov 7th 2017
Platforms: PS4, XB1, Switch, PC

Story: In Eggman's greatest victory to date, the evil doctor has conquered much of the world with a mysterious new power. A resistance comprised of Sonic's friends is formed to fight back, and in the midst of the chaos and destruction, an unlikely hero will rise up to help Modern and Classic Sonic take back the world. Even these three heroes may have their work cut out for them, as Dr. Eggman has a new ally of his own...

Features:

Three types of gameplay: Fast paced action as Modern Sonic, thrilling platforming as Classic Sonic, and utilize powerful gadgets as your own Customer Hero Character!
Fight against a brand new mysterious and powerful enemy, Infinite!
Featuring an all-star cast of well-known Sonic franchise heroes and villains!

Pre-order bonuses:

Reviews:

showthread.php

Polygon- 5/10
Famitsu: 35/40

Unknown?

All I expect is to like it as much as Generations and that’s good for me. I’m looking forward to it because I prefer 3D to 2D.

SoulUnison

Banned
Wow, talk about hilariously blowing an OT title.

This whole atmosphere is getting kind of desolate and sad.

Outrun

I cancelled my preorder on this game after negative impression.

I will wait and see how this pans out.

Kimawolf

Wow, talk about hilariously blowing an OT title.

This whole atmosphere is getting kind of desolate and sad.

yeah yeah i know I "corrected" the hilarious dumb quote. I made the thread because shocker, no one else seemed to give a damn about the game. I figured hey the people who may care, may want to just have a place to talk about the game. So sue me.

dudu0609

Neo Member
Coming in to support the OT, but I will not buy this game. 3D Sonic keeps not delivering since Dreamcast era.

Will go to Super Lucky's Tale.

cireza

Gold Member
Finished the game on Switch, was pretty fun :)

Going to start a new, 100% run on Xbox One X tomorrow :eek:

I was pretty impressed by the overall quality of the game on Switch. 30fps and all the visuals seem to have been kept. Of course, there is quite a lot of blur to compensate for the lower FPS, but it is still a very respectable version technically speaking.

Tailzo

Finished the game on Switch, was pretty fun :)

Going to start a new, 100% run on Xbox One X tomorrow :eek:

I was pretty impressed by the overall quality of the game on Switch. 30fps and all the visuals seem to have been kept. Of course, there is quite a lot of blur to compensate for the lower FPS, but it is still a very respectable version technically speaking.

I've read these kinds of posts, and then others trashing the game.

The demo was short, but modern Sonic felt good, classic I don't know, it was only a boss, but the created character felt less smooth to play as (if that makes any sense). The weapon I choose felt like it didn't have the correct physics or something.

cireza

Gold Member
I've read these kinds of posts, and then others trashing the game.

The demo was short, but modern Sonic felt good, classic I don't know, it was only a boss, but the created character felt less smooth to play as (if that makes any sense). The weapon I choose felt like it didn't have the correct physics or something.
I am someone who always have a lot of fun with Sonic Team's Sonic games. Each game is different from the previous one, and I like this, it keeps things entertaining.

Forces is no exception and develops its own ideas, even if you can find both the boost and 2D platforming phases already seen before.

Avatar gameplay definitely has some flaws, some weapons will make you rush forward (to your death). This game tries to do a lot of things concerning avatar gameplay, and that's probably too much. You can only pick one Wisp per level, and they tried to put a lot of alternative routes for pretty much every Wisp possible. At first I picked the wolf, he attracts all the rings to him, and it can make the situation difficult to read. Played it on Switch, so the 30fps + blur does not help.

I still haven't grasped all the possibilities offered by the game, but I don't mind when games are a bit rough on the first run, but offer some good replay value.

Tailzo

I am someone who always have a lot of fun with Sonic Team's Sonic games. Each game is different from the previous one, and I like this, it keeps things entertaining.

Forces is no exception and develops its own ideas, even if you can find both the boost and 2D platforming phases already seen before.

Avatar gameplay definitely has some flaws, some weapons will make you rush forward (to your death). This game tries to do a lot of things concerning avatar gameplay, and that's probably too much. You can only pick one Wisp per level, and they tried to put a lot of alternative routes for pretty much every Wisp possible. At first I picked the wolf, he attracts all the rings to him, and it can make the situation difficult to read. Played it on Switch, so the 30fps + blur does not help.

I still haven't grasped all the possibilities offered by the game, but I don't mind when games are a bit rough on the first run, but offer some good replay value.

Thanks.

I guess I can relate to that. I also find most Sonic games fun. I never tried Sonic 06 or Boom, but I really enjoyed Colors, Rush, Unleashed, Generations, Lost World and most Sonic games.

cireza

Gold Member
I guess I can relate to that. I also find most Sonic games fun. I never tried Sonic 06 or Boom, but I really enjoyed Colors, Rush, Unleashed, Generations, Lost World and most Sonic games.
Really enjoyed 06, Unleashed, Colors and Lost World. Each game I 100%ed :)

Generations was fun, but did not have much replay value. Still 100%ed too, but that was done pretty fast.

Forces seems to have a lot of replayability.

Aztorian

I don't understand why Sonic is still a thing tbh. I get the nostalgia factor, but they needed to stop when it got awkward. SEGA obviously needs to look in to something new instead of trying to make Sonic games for years hoping to get a succesful hit after it died a long time ago.

It's almost like keeping your crush's pictures in your wallet because you can't let go.

Owari

I don't understand why Sonic is still a thing tbh. I get the nostalgia factor, but they needed to stop when it got awkward. SEGA obviously needs to look in to something new instead of trying to make Sonic games for years hoping to get a succesful hit after it died a long time ago.

It's almost like keeping your crush's pictures in your wallet because you can't let go.
You have a rayman avatar.

Azyreal

Neo Member
The game is shorter than Mania, it only has less than 30 minutes of cutscenes, what are the Sonic Team thinking ? And only 3 level designers ??

Watch this gameplay, it's only rails, there isn't any challenges, the different "routes" are just more rails to either get a dumb shortcut or get more rings and that's it.

That's a shame because we were shown some good levels that are among the best of the game, but the majority of the remaining ones can't match them.

I hope the team behind Mania can get a shot at making a Modern Sonic game, even a boost one, Colors and Generation were pretty good but Forces is nothing but a joke and I think the Sonic Team could really use some new blood.

Not better than Sonic Mania.
That's entirely subjective. I loved (and prefer) Mania, but Rayman's a more focused game with more levels and a modern art style, all of which easily could paint someone's perspective of which they prefer.

Azyreal

Neo Member
That's only one stage

Yeah, maybe, I'm not saying the game is bad by any means, it's just disapointing when you compare it with past Sonic games.

Besides, after that much games containing rails, do you still think they should make levels with rails as the main mechanic ? Idk, to me this could have been more interesting if you were actually doing something to win the war against Eggman that is taking place in the background, like blowing up a ship for example.

Anyway, on a lighter note this is a good level: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzw8kFbmd0E

cireza

Gold Member
Besides, after that much games containing rails, do you still think they should make levels with rails as the main mechanic ? Idk, to me this could have been more interesting if you were actually doing something to win the war against Eggman that is taking place in the background, like blowing up a ship for example.
The game is filled with stuff that screams "we are at war". Aimed at kids, for sure, but the theme is there.

Not trying to defend the game at any cost, but I played through it and it was pretty fun...

czk51

Still considering this for the Switch mainly for my kid. What are the daily missions, and are there rewards for completing them, or is it just a scoreboard thing?

Yeah, maybe, I'm not saying the game is bad by any means, it's just disapointing when you compare it with past Sonic games.

Anyway, on a lighter note this is a good level: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzw8kFbmd0E

Still looks pretty on rails, with the same "press button when target appears" action.

Shadic7700

So I'm playing it now it's fun but when should I play through ep shadow currently on ep 15 and did 2 shadow ep should I stop?

GeekyDad

I seem to read this general sentiment quite a bit, and it's not new. I mean, for years on GAF I read the same thing. And honestly, I'm not a big fan of Sonic at all. But I'm guessing they must make money off these games, and that's why they keep making them.

The rumours going around that this game can be beaten in 3 hours are slanderous! I will have you know that I played it from the beginning for 3 hours last night and I'm only on the second last stage. :p LOL this is really short, all the stages feel too short too. It's kinda fun though, terribad angsty Sonic torturing story aside. And you do unlock little extra stages, so there is some extra value here.

The rumours going around that this game can be beaten in 3 hours are slanderous! I will have you know that I played it from the beginning for 3 hours last night and I'm only on the second last stage. :p LOL this is really short, all the stages feel too short too. It's kinda fun though, terribad angsty Sonic torturing story aside. And you do unlock little extra stages, so there is some extra value here.
So it's really about 4 hours? How's replay value?
I was gonna scrounge all my xbl credit to buy digital, but I might just wait... Or buy super lucky's tail..

Aztorian

I seem to read this general sentiment quite a bit, and it's not new. I mean, for years on GAF I read the same thing. And honestly, I'm not a big fan of Sonic at all. But I'm guessing they must make money off these games, and that's why they keep making them.

As long as people are interested in Sonic games yeah. But that also surprises me since Sonic hasn't seen anything new since Adventures. Correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't really been up to date on the Sonic releases for the assumption I just made.

Seems like people are really interested in the good ol' Sonic and that's why people like Mania. So my guess is that a Super Mario Maker kind of game would be the golden ticket for the Sonic Team.

Top Bottom