• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Lost World |OT| Too X-treme for the Galaxy

Teknoman

Seems like there is also a homing kick attack. Press y when locked on to kick an enemy into whatever is behind it. You have to use this on enemies that block homing / jumps, or just for chaining enemies you might not have had the chance to homing chain.

Kinda reminds me of something he'd do in the OVA.

EDIT: Seriously, hanging onto ledges and wallrunning at will is about the same caliber of usefulness as Samus getting a wall grab in Fusion/Zero-Mission. That is not an understatement, especially for those used to playing 3D sonic games, and accidentally going too fast of a platform / having trouble backtracking.

Teknoman

Apparently you can use wisps without touchscreen input. Just press R and then use A to activate. Analog to aim.

There was one part in Windy Hill Zone Act 3 (glad they brought the word zone back) where it seemed like some rings were placed across an out of the way wall, but I couldnt figure out how to wall run across a gap...so I guess it takes a little practice.

Teknoman

I need to go to bed lol. But I guess thats how you know a game is genuinely fun.

Desert Ruins Act 2: Went through smooth on my first try. There is no quick step, but the analog is sound enough to make the small movement necessary without running into walls. Noticed a few red rings i missed on the way through though.

The deadly six feel like enemies you'd see pop up on "The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog". or an Archie comic.

And it cant be stated enough, please use the wisp powers with R and A buttons + analog. Dont use the touch screen, its too...touchy.

EDIT: Also why are Game OSTs so damn expensive. 50 bucks for Sonic Colors? 80 for Sonic Adventure 2? Please tell me Lost World wont be as much.

Kurtofan

Any tips to defeat
Giant Zavok?
I'm sending him back his blocks but then I come to a closed platform and can't progress.

Any tips to defeat
Giant Zavok?
I'm sending him back his blocks but then I come to a closed platform and can't progress.

Just keep bouncing on the red blocks until you've knocked enough down to kill him. Hit as many as you can, you need to finish him off before you reach the top.

Zafir

Thanks will try, it's pretty tough.
I really wasn't a fan of it. I don't think it was designed that well honestly.

The
boss before
wasn't designed well either but for the opposite reason. You could stand at the edge of the screen and you won't get hit and can finish it in one homing lol.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Going for S ranks in this game is soooooooo much better than previous games. The gameplay is just so much more engaging for it. The only thing it's missing as far as rankings go is Super Sonic not having his own ranks.

Also I'd just like to say that making rankings only in time trial mode and not in main play was a FANTASTIC idea. When you get ranked on your first play through it has an effect on the way you play. When you're being ranked you feel like you're supposed to be playing a certain way. Fast. But cutting that out of the main play mode it encourages players to just play however they want. It's a little thing but it makes the overall experience better I think. I can play through the game at my own pace without feeling like the game is judging me for it, and when I feel like speedrunning I've got completely separate game mode for that. It's one of the positive changes that doesn't really get mentioned enough.

Madouu

Just received the game, first sonic game I'll be trying for more than a decade now. I'm willing to pause my AA playthrough for this!

Kinsei

Banned
Played through all of Windy Hill and Zone 1 of Desert Ruins. The game is great so far (minus the asteroid wisp).

Got 2 game overs on Windy Hill Zone 4 going for that damn fourth red ring. Fuck the asteroid wisp.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Played through all of Windy Hill and Zone 1 of Desert Ruins. The game is great so far (minus the asteroid wisp).

Got 2 game overs on Windy Hill Zone 4 going for that damn fourth red ring. Fuck the asteroid wisp.

Fuck every wisp in this game. Even the ones that aren't horrible to use still have no place in this game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The wisp attacks (only used laser and asteroid) so far dont seem as helpful as in Colors, and laser is a little hard to use due to touch screen reliance. Asteroid is prety easy to control, and seems like you just want to travel as much of the stage when available as possible.
Actually, there was a question I had for people who actually played it since I wasn't paying too much attention.

Is the game like Colours where the motive is to score attack? For example, in Colours, you -had- to use the Wisps for the Colour Bonus, or Quick Step for the bonus in order to S-Rank as opposed to really speedrunning the level at times. Or is it like Gens/Unleashed, where the idea is to time attack and accumulate a lot of rings?

Is there any sort of Colour Bonus or Parkour Bonus to go into your score so that it affects your ranking at the end, or is it just based on how fast you finish up the level? Does the score even matter in this game? Because given the staff on this game, I'd think that score attacking is more important since it was really important in Colours.

As for me, since I don't play my consoles on days when I have school/work, I guess I'll start the 3DS version later.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Being an extension of Sonic Colours, though, is not merely limited to the Wisps--which I think she's getting at. There are some things that Colours has that makes it distinctive apart from the Wisps.

EDIT: Also why are Game OSTs so damn expensive. 50 bucks for Sonic Colors? 80 for Sonic Adventure 2? Please tell me Lost World wont be as much.
Because Japan (well, their prices in general). I've paid a lot for game soundtracks over the years, myself.

Sonic Lost World's OST is 4000 yen.

Kinsei

Banned
Being an extension of Sonic Colours, though, is not merely limited to the Wisps--which I think she's getting at. There are some things that Colours has that makes it distinctive apart from the Wisps.

True but I really don't see anything distinctive about Colours other than the wisps in this game.

To answer your earlier question about wisps affecting ranks, they don't in the Wii U version. No clue about the 3DS version.

daakusedo

We're pretty far from colors 2 here.
One type of new tubular exploratory levels and the rest of the game is 2d levels designed like a super mario bros game or straight path 3d ones.
It's just strange how they drop the 2d/3d transitions apart from some race parts leading to a next 2d section.

Zalman

Yeah, Japanese soundtracks are always really expensive. I wanted to get the Generations one two years ago but I never got around to it.

Kokonoe

Banned
Most of the staff on both Colours games were on these games. It's not a surprise that the game went into this direction.

It's a surprise for me! I didn't see the credits before I played. lol

I guess that does explain it, however.

I did. That is not what we got. We got a completely new Sonic game with the wisps from Colours shoehorned in just so Sonic Team could have an excuse to force gamepad bullshit down our throats.

Wisps have absolutely nothing to do with it. Wisps are in Sonic Generations, but they play completely different. The gameplay in this game is similar and a successor to Sonic Colors styled gameplay. The way the levels work, the way the 2D platforming works, the way Sonic handles and reacts with objects and the way you turn and stuff.

Lijik

We're pretty far from colors 2 here.
One type of new tubular exploratory levels and the rest of the game is 2d levels designed like a super mario bros game or straight path 3d ones.
It's just strange how they drop the 2d/3d transitions apart from some race parts leading to a next 2d section.

To be fair, Colors had a lot of 3d and 2d only stages too, the constant transitioning is more of a Generations/Unleashed thing

Getting it tonight. F the haters, the game looks fantastic, and the OST is already sounding like one of the best in the franchise. So much damn variety in the little I've heard. So excited :)

Man, this game takes some getting used to with the controls at first. A tutorial stage would have been nice this time around.

Game's pretty fun once you do get used to the controls however.

Kokonoe

Banned
This game for the most part is all flash and no substance. It's not a bad game, but it's nothing noteworthy. What fools you is all the pretty CG and the nice voice acting combined with the game's artstyle, but that kind of stuff doesn't fool me, production values be darned.

The level design and controls are the main flaw of this game. The layouts are kind of shallow, by that I mean they are very linear without multiple paths Sonic games are known for. Some stuff is just designed clunky, like the running or how you platform or the lock on functions can even be clunky and not always hit your mark unlike Sonic Generations where the homing attack worked as it should. It's not a horrible homing attack but it's definitely a step down from the previous game. The Spinball I find for the most part to be kind of useless. It doesn't speed you through gunk, and it only does a short little dash. It doesn't give you any momentum.

The Wisps confuse me outside of the drill and I usually end up messing those up. The bosses although kind of unique for a Sonic game are very shallow and some are poorly designed. Take for instance the first fight with the large yellow guy, you can get stuck on the blocks where you can't maneuver when it's tilting instead of being able to move out of the way to make your platforming. I also don't like how you lose speed when going left and right when you're going forward. It's like you can only go in one straight perfect line or else you lose speed which is annoying. I've also found I've died countless times due to the clunky nature of Sonic and the way you platform ledges. The Twister level in particular is pretty weird cause you can stay all the way to the right, but end up dying cause the screen doesn't catch up. Let's say you use the bumper to cross over the ledge, which is what you're intended to do, well the twister speeds up when you hit bumpers and will suck you up while you're in mid air while you can't do anything. You have to make sure you're not all the way to the right, and that the twister is far enough to where it doesn't suck you up due to the game's script.

In short: If you're going in this expecting tight controls then you'll be disappointed.

Teknoman

Man, this game takes some getting used to with the controls at first. A tutorial stage would have been nice this time around.

Game's pretty fun once you do get used to the controls however.

Bingo.

Also I cant say this enough since I posted late last night.

DO NOT use the touch screen for wisp powers, especially laser. Just activate with R, control with analog, and confirm with A.

Also please read the e-manual (why isnt there a paper mario character named Emanual yet?) because it shows a few moves and commands that the game might not cover since the hints are access through a situational touch screen button.

Just as a quick resource:

Use ZL to spindash, tap A to charge old school. Press and hold ZL again once the dash is going to maintain the spin.

Press Y if you see a ceiling area to hang onto. Also hold Y to duck, press forward while ducking to roll slowly (gets you out of quicksand or sticky stuff).

Also try to miss springs and boosters as they may prevent you from exploring other areas for red rings.

EDIT: For the spindash you have to charge it up, and press-hold ZL again while in the dash to maintain it.

Platforming actually seems alot tighter to me than any Sonic before, aside Genesis Sonic. Especially since the edge grab activates automatically as long as you're holding the run button (or maybe not even then, i'm not sure yet...since I hold it the majority of the time ala Mario).

But yeah, the 3d areas seem to have a few more deviating areas than 2d,

Dunno what people were bitching about, all sonic games have a learning curve (unless your sonic 06) this game is great on both 3DS and Wii U. I got both, though I will say I prefer the button layout for the 3DS game over the Wii U game.

Dunno why homing attack and jump are separated in the Wii U game.

Teknoman

Dunno what people were bitching about, all sonic games have a learning curve (unless your sonic 06) this game is great on both 3DS and Wii U. I got both, though I will say I prefer the button layout for the 3DS game over the Wii U game.

Dunno why homing attack and jump are separated in the Wii U game.

They arent separated. A button is homing and is also jump. Y button is used to bounce (triple jump if you will) but does have a homing kick feature. Use on armored enemies or to chain enemies in a straight line (if you dont get a multi lock).

Teknoman

Always have low expectations for Sonic games. Always leave the game feelin' good.

GOTTA GO FAST!

Its really not even about going fast this time around :p

I honestly think there may be a slight case of not being used to controls due to alot of them being hidden in the e-manual. Its not he is slippery or the physics are wonky.

Hell, i'm still not sure how the people playing the fast paced Windy Hill Zone stage ran into the wall. No quick step, but the analog and Sonic's horizontal movement is precise enough to adjust long before you even are at the wall.

Imo after the first two zones it's still a solid B. There are some things that could have been improved like general explanation of the new controls in the game (but then again...manuals), bosses being challenging (the second six fight was kinda fun though) and multiple paths in the 2D areas, but the controls are actually pretty well done, the parkour moves fit in nicely, and the spindash works better than the boost...especially without set ramp launch heights or strange automatic loops.

Kokonoe

Banned
Always have low expectations for Sonic games. Always leave the game feelin' good.

GOTTA GO FAST!

I actually went in with low expectations cause someone told me it got low reviews or something. I guess that's why I'm not too shocked or anything.

Like I said...

That game really needs tutorials. And somehow Dimps is the one that got that part right...

I found out the controls just fine myself. The issues here are all on the actual controls, mechanics, and level design. It would help, though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm about to start the 3DS version while I'm here at school. Someone pray for me. (Read: NTom64, pray for me).

You know, I played the entirety of Sonic Generations 3DS while I was at school in 2011, too (because it was so darn short and the main game was sub-par). That doesn't bode well.

Teknoman

The only thing I dont like are the circus bonus stages. Too busy graphically... and a better feature would have been unlocking chaos emerald based high speed special stages with red rings.

How'd you get stuck on the blocks during the second six boss fight?

Because Japan (well, their prices in general). I've paid a lot for game soundtracks over the years, myself.

Sonic Lost World's OST is 4000 yen.

Yeah, Japanese soundtracks are always really expensive. I wanted to get the Generations one two years ago but I never got around to it.

Hmm guess i'm just new to buying the physical soundtracks. No wonder its still such a niche purchase area.

EDIT: Agree with the rankings being relegated to time attack mode. Makes you feel less compelled to rush during normal play.

Bog

Junior Ace
Interesting that on the back of the box, near the bottom, it says "Only on Wii U", then lists 3 specific Wii U features. It makes it sound like, "These features are only available in the Wii U version.", not "This game is exclusive to Wii U".

Teknoman

Spindashing is so much better now. Even though its a much more involved control method now ( Hold ZL to spin, tap A to rev up, then press and hold ZL again while rolling to maintain speed and dash, you'll notice an extra white burst effect) it finally works the way you'd expect in a 3D world. Launch off so many ramps.

Desert Ruins Zone Act 1 is where I hit my stride.

Use Y homing to kick armored enemies, A homing to just pop normal badniks.

kunonabi

Played through all of the first zone.

I find the tutorial bitching to be unfair. The optional pop-ups are pretty obvious and people would have bitched had they included a tutorial anyway. The parkour stuff is mostly just supplemental techniques really. The ceiling grab is really the only thing I could see people not figuring out through the normal course of play really.

I'm liking the level design as I've played the first stage four times and each time was very different from the last.

Controls feel fine although I'm still not sure how the asteroid wisp works. I'll probably have to check the manual for that one.

My only beefs with it so far is how slow horizontal movement is and how the wisp powers grind everything to a halt particularly the pauses when they activate and deactivate.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm liking the level design as I've played the first stage four times and each time was very different from the last.
It's one of the biggest and best levels in this regard, unfortunately. I wish there were more stages like the very first stage.

Teknoman

Played through all of the first zone.

I find the tutorial bitching to be unfair. The optional pop-ups are pretty obvious and people would have bitched had they included a tutorial anyway. The parkour stuff is mostly just supplemental techniques really. The ceiling grab is really the only thing I could see people not figuring out through the normal course of play really.

Controls feel fine although I'm still not sure how the asteroid wisp works. I'll probably have to check the manual for that one.

My only beefs with it so far is how slow horizontal movement is and how the wisp powers grind everything to a halt particularly the pauses when they activate and deactivate.

Asteroid has a hold to jump mechanic (hold A for a little then let go for a bounce). Tilt to move. The Eagle wisp was a little hard for me to get used to, but now I think i've got it.

Desert Ruins Zone act 1 and 2 are so fun once you know where to spindash and what objects bounce you past other obstacles (hint, use the bamboo sprout/seed looking objects in act 2).

Fabrik

Banned
Finished it last night. The best level was the first level. In the end it's a poor's man Mario game, like most Sonic games always have been IMHO. Sonic gameplay rules have always been fundamentally broken:

- Rings are useless. Only one is needed. Catching more is unnecessary, so exploring is often a waste of time.
- The speed concept is flawed. You barely control anything at such speeds, you can't anticipate much, resulting in a lot of trial and error. Moreover, if you're aiming to get 5 red coins per level, if you choose the wrong path, you can't go back, you have to restart the level. That's bad design. Plus, what's the reward for this? I could already access the "hidden" levels after beating the final boss (
Ripped from NSMBWii again
).

The bosses were laughably easy, I actually beat some of them by accident lol.
The life system is broken although a ? level in Sky Road allows you to rack-up lives (What's up with that level?). The saving animals system is also broken, why save animals in the levels when you can free 5 times more in the Circus stages?

The music was very nice in a few levels and the title screen though.
I won't even mention the attempt at a story, at least the cutscenes weren't long and are skippable. The game is also short overrall, 7 hours-ish , with only 7 X 4 levels, again nothing compared to Mario games.

Sonic Team has been making Sonic games for what? 22 years? and they still look like beginners meanwhile Nintendo teams have perfected their craft.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Sonic Team has been making Sonic games for what? 22 years? and they still look like beginners meanwhile Nintendo teams have perfected their craft.
It's really not the same Sonic Team making these games and, really, they almost perfected it right out the gate. The 16-bit games are every bit as good as Mario's best 2D adventures. I hold firm to that opinion.

I also believe that Sonic is inherently more challenging to translate into 3D.

Sonic Generations is the one 3D Sonic game that got everything right and is one of my favorite platformers of all time at this point. I agree that Lost World feels like it's trying too hard to be more like Mario. :\

Top Bottom