• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Dual Shock 3 - Who's importing?

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
weird earlier post states that uncharted ships with rumble but I as playing it tonight and I felt nothing, I have a white DS3 with no rumble love :(

Supasso

g35twinturbo said:
weird earlier post states that uncharted ships with rumble but I as playing it tonight and I felt nothing, I have a white DS3 with no rumble love :(
That's strange. Even the demo support rumble.

Truespeed

Does the new controller support the new Immersion rumble technology or is it just a PS2 Bluetooth rumble controller? I recall Immersion talking about the next generation of rumble technology , but I'm not sure whether or not Sony incorporated this technology due to power consumption issues.

Bebpo

Banned
g35twinturbo said:

I definitely got rumble on the retail version...

Got mine in a couple of days ago... umm.. well.... I should have waited. Rumble seemed like a big deal when I didn't have it, but now that I have it, I really don't care.

Truespeed

Byakuya769 said:
Got mine in a couple of days ago... umm.. well.... I should have waited. Rumble seemed like a big deal when I didn't have it, but now that I have it, I really don't care.

I've never cared for rumble and if it saves me from having to recharge the controller on a less frequent basis then I'd always turn it off. I've heard all types of arguments why rumble is so essential, but to me it's not. It's just 2 spinning motors vibrating a piece of plastic. To me, that's not immersion, but rather something females like to put between their legs.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Linkzg said:
did you make sure rumble is turned on?

yep, but this is my story :)

So After making sure it was me, I went to my local game store who sold me the controller and exchanged it for a black DS3 and now it works :D so it was the controller. Geesh my luck.

Guenther

Jonnyram said:
Any impressions of the new rumble then?
I want to know why it's being labelled as "next gen rumble".
Simply it isn´t, which I find very dissapointing. Maybe some games in the future will use it in a proper way, but for now I don´t feel any difference between DS2 and DS3.

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
That post is 2 months old. We've since found out that Sony has used the DS2 rumble tech in the DS3.

Sean

Banned
The main reason I want a DS3 is for the added weight. Sixaxis feels awkward to me cause it's too damn light.

zombi

Bebpo said:
Who is labeling it as next gen rumble?
During TGS there was talk of it being a new more advanced rumble that came from people playing mgs4. Also the epic 1up yours that week had Ryan Payton on who said that it was a new rumble.

Jonnyram

Geezer said:
That post is 2 months old. We've since found out that Sony has used the DS2 rumble tech in the DS3.
I see. You'll have to excuse me for not keeping on top of DS3 news updates. Sorry about the alarm.

Geezer

zombi said:
During TGS there was talk of it being a new more advanced rumble that came from people playing mgs4. Also the epic 1up yours that week had Ryan Payton on who said that it was a new rumble.
I've always felt that something fishy went on with the DS3. It sounds a lot like Sony were going to use Touchsense and had working prototypes using it but decided to go with the old tech when they finalised the design. Pretty stupid decision :(

zombi

Geezer said:
I've always felt that something fishy went on with the DS3. It sounds a lot like Sony were going to use Touchsense and had working prototypes using it but decided to go with the old tech when they finalised the design. Pretty stupid decision :(
I dunno. None of the "OMG new revolutionary earth shattering rumble" came from sony it was all coming from journalists who were thinking the difference and from a developer (I think it was only one) who I still dont know why he said that... Maybe Kojima is doing something themselves in how they implement rumble that is next gen

vpance

I think the last thing Sony would want is to get closer with Immersion using their new and probably more costly tech after getting sued by them. Too bad.

Geezer

vpance said:
I think the last thing Sony would want is to get closer with Immersion using their new and probably more costly tech after getting sued by them. Too bad.
Nope, Immersion have said the tech costs the same amount. That probably only applies to the royalties, I guess the manufacturing cost may be much higher.

$60 at one of my local import shops.

I'll have to pass for now.

Hey Mr. Harrison, "rumble IS last generation" after all, isn't it? :lol

nofi

BloodyYank said:
$60 at one of my local import shops.

I'll have to pass for now.

Hey Mr. Harrison, "rumble IS last generation" after all, isn't it? :lol

Wow, that's cheaper than a standard Sixaxis here in the UK.

Once again, if anyone actually has any DS3s they can sell/ship to the UK, let me know, all the other PMs have gone flat.

J-Rzez

I got mine in, and I can't say I missed the rumble, though I never felt like it was missing when I would play the 360 and then play my PS3. But, the analog sticks feel better, tighter, and I experienced 0 drop outs so far signal wise. Plus the white looks so nice! :D

BeeDog

Placed my order of a white controller at Yesasia the other day. Anyone here already received their controller from that site? If so, how long did it take you to get it?

Goldrusher

Woohoo, got one!

Impressions...

- it weights a TON
- buttons respond better, softer to push
- dpad is better
- hollow feeling is gone, controller feels strong and durable

The rumble...

Softer, subtler than the DS2 on PS2 (and it's not my imagination), but it works and I'm happy it's back.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I just picked up an 80GB Ps3 last week and I wants me rumble. Quick question: does the rumble work on Ps2 games played through the Ps3 as well?

Awntawn

I don't know what phenomenon is going on here, but I played through Uncharted start to finish, easily 10 hours at least, and I've only gone down 1 bar on my DS3 battery charge. Is this normal? Are the batteries in my old Sixaxii just shit? Or have I been playing 360 too much lately and have just forgotten how long Sixaxis battery charges last? 3;

DrXym

Geezer said:

That depends if Immersion were trying to rape them to use the new technology. To be honest it's stupid that Sony have to pay them at all, but maybe it was cheaper to go with the existing rumblers.

Obaid

Banned
Awntawn said:
I don't know what phenomenon is going on here, but I played through Uncharted start to finish, easily 10 hours at least, and I've only gone down 1 bar on my DS3 battery charge. Is this normal? Are the batteries in my old Sixaxii just shit? Or have I been playing 360 too much lately and have just forgotten how long Sixaxis battery charges last? 3;

well i charge my sexaxis once a week maybe with 10-15 hours of work at least. the battery life of the controller is amazing and the best thing is you can charge it by putting the usb to any usb slot avaible.

@VanMardigan:

yes.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
BeeDog said:
Placed my order of a white controller at Yesasia the other day. Anyone here already received their controller from that site? If so, how long did it take you to get it?
I got the same question. Mine got shipped on nov 16th, hopefully it'll be here in time for Uncharted (dec 7th for us Euro's). Can't wait to pen down reviews on PS3-games on how it plays with and without the new controller.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
neorej said:
I got the same question. Mine got shipped on nov 16th, hopefully it'll be here in time for Uncharted (dec 7th for us Euro's). Can't wait to pen down reviews on PS3-games on how it plays with and without the new controller.

Still waiting. Apparently their shipping is as slow as Play-Asia's. Mine shipped on the 14th--not super-slow, but I've ordered a couple of other things from Japan since and have gotten all of it and still waiting on yesasia.

Torgo

Yes, rumble for PS2 games works great on the DS3.

Uncharted definitely supports rumble. If you don't have it, in-game press the Guide button on your controller, go to, I think it's "Other Options" or "Controller Options," and make sure that Rumble is On.

J-Rzez said:
I got mine in, and I can't say I missed the rumble, though I never felt like it was missing when I would play the 360 and then play my PS3. But, the analog sticks feel better, tighter, and I experienced 0 drop outs so far signal wise. Plus the white looks so nice! :D

Can anyone else confirm if this does indeed get rid of the drop outs? If the DS3 solves the bluetooth drop out issue, I'm a happy man.

Obaid

Banned
Superblatt said:
Can anyone else confirm if this does indeed get rid of the drop outs? If the DS3 solves the bluetooth drop out issue, I'm a happy man.

never experienced such a issue. But i know it exists :)

Mine arrived at work a few minutes ago, and I'm in love with it already--the white looks better in person than in pics, and the weight, balance, etc. feels fantastic. The sticks and triggers feel really good too, but I don't have another controller here to compare it to. When I get home, it's gonna be all about Mario, but I also plan to hook up my 7th-channel speaker at long last and fire up the PS3 for a nice long Ratchet and Clank session to break in the controller.

Evlar

Banned
kanugo said:
Did anyone feel the rumble in Assassin's Creed?
Only played for a few minutes with my DS3, but yes: Leap off a tall building, you'll feel the rumble when you hit the ground.

NekoFever

Ugh...I hate having to jump through hoops because Lik-Sang shut down and Play-Asia/YesAsia won't ship Sony products to the EU anymore. Thanks, Sony!

Still, my local brick-and-mortar importer (remember those?) is getting them this week so I'll be getting a white one for £40, which is fairly reasonable considering a regular black Sixaxis is £30. It seems that they've moved on from the dark days of charging £60 for an import that could be had online for £25...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
where is your local importer? We used to have one near work in Farnborough, but they shut down. A good local importer with a real shop is something to cherish (providing they don't completely rape you on prices)

Goldrusher

CurlySaysX said:
is the dual shocks 3 see thru?
Does the plastic feel more sturdy?
Thanks for you time.

Yes and no. It's made of the same plastic, but much much much less translucent and impossible to see through.

Yes. It feels like a solid block and doesn't make any noises when twisted.

Captain N

The Sphinx said:
Only played for a few minutes with my DS3, but yes: Leap off a tall building, you'll feel the rumble when you hit the ground.

I didn't feel any rumble when I was playing..not in sword fighting, or stealth kills...or running up walls and all that jazz.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Captain N said:
I didn't feel any rumble when I was playing..not in sword fighting, or stealth kills...or running up walls and all that jazz.

My first DS3 was a bust, I didnt feel anything but now in uncharted I feel rumble when I shoot. I didnt feel it when i jumped or ran up walls.

Top Bottom