• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Dual Shock 3 - Who's importing?

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Think the price is going to go back down?

I want to order one but i'm not paying extra (for no reason) ontop of paying extra for shipping.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
BeeDog said:
TTP, you had to buy the fl0w expansion to get rumble, right?

yep

TTP said:
Got mine (thanks DJ!)

Just tried a couple of games

Resistance - Awesome
GT5 Prologue demo - Good
Uncharted - Very good
flOw - Nice
Motorstorm - Good

Overall: happy customer.

I herewith quote myself to amend my previous comment about flOw rumble implementation.

It's not "Nice". It's "So fucking cool".

Basically the rumble behaves differently depending on the creature you are using.

1st creature (snake-like) - rumbles (differently) when you grow a new segment or fill one of the "rings".

2nd creature (jelly-like) - rumbles when you eat something and while doing the spin thing.

3rd creature (dolphin-like) - [not sure I like this but still] It rumbles CONTINUOSLY and very strongly stopping only during a dash. DS3 batteries are not pleased.

4th creature (poisonus thingy) - [this is very awesome and adds to the creature I already love the most] It rumbles when you poison-bite someone and also pulses whenever there is a poisoned creature around like you can "feel" his heartbeat. Really love this.

5th creature (the jumping to the neck thingy) - As you might know, this creature is kinda similar to the dolphin as it can dash, but contrary to the dolphin it autolocks to the nearest enemy when doing so. So, first thing I noticed, creature turns red when an enemy is nearby, meaning you can attack. This was not there in the pre-expansiOn version of the game. You had to "guess" by distance if you were ready to go or not. As you might have already guessed, rumble kicks in while the creature is red and ready to strike.

6th creature (the new one) - It rumbles when shielded and then again when spin-attacking.

Awesome job TGC!

TTP said:
yep

I herewith quote myself to amend my previous comment about flOw rumble implementation.

Basically the rumble behaves differently depending on the creature you are using.

1st creature (snake-like) - rumbles (differently) when you grow a new segment or fill one of the "rings".

2nd creature (jelly-like) - rumbles when you eat something and while doing the spin thing.

3rd creature (dolphin-like) - [not sure I like this but still] It rumbles CONTINUOSLY and very strongly stopping only during a dash. DS3 batteries are not pleased.

4th creature (poisonus thingy) - [this is very awesome and adds to the creature I already love the most] It rumbles when you poison-bite someone and also pulses whenever there is a poisoned creature around like you can "feel" his heartbeat. Really love this.

5th creature (the jumping to the neck thingy) - As you might know, this creature is kinda similar to the dolphin as it can dash, but contrary to the dolphin it autolocks to the nearest enemy when doing so. So, first thing I noticed, creature turns red when an enemy is nearby, meaning you can attack. This was not there in the pre-expansiOn version of the game. You had to "guess" by distance if you were ready to go or not. As you might have already guessed, rumble kicks in while the creature is red and ready to strike.

6th creature (the new one) - It rumbles when shielded and then again when spin-attacking.

Awesome job TGC!

Wow, sounds fantastic.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
TTP said:
yep

Awesome job TGC!

Man that's nice. Makes me want to play fl0w again.

Flek

Banned
got mine from yesasia today (finally) and took some pictures too:

1.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Got mine today from shop called ejapan on ebay as Sony has fucked over the import market in Europe.
Its beside me on my desk, I'll give it a whirl at home this evening but has nice weight to it with the rumble back in the handles.

80o2pmo.jpg

kaleii

mutsu said:
Sounds like lots of people have got their orders from YesAsia. I am glad it worked out for most people. Looks like they have finally caught up in their stocking of the product, as both the black and the white has now the status of "In-stock".

Nice stealth-referral in the URL there :p

My white one was sent 2 days ago, so I hope I'll get it next week. That would be nice.

f@luS

More than a member.
navanman said:
Sucks for US importers but super for Euro PS3 owners like me.
Yeah for weak dollar!!
Indeed. I paid my DS3 the same price as i paid my 6A6 here :)

Bebpo

Banned
In terms of battery length, Mine started saying low on battery about 6 hours into Uncharted and I'd used it on other games maybe 1-2 hours max before that. So I'd say about 8-10 hours per charge.

Dyno

They had a chance to redesign their crummy L2/R2 toggles and they let it pass them by...

Rumble is great but not so good that I need to blow 80 bucks a piece to be an early adapter. Sony failed to secure rumble in time for launch, so I think we should be getting rebates to get the controllers the console should have come with in the first place.

Sixaxis is a gimmick, I'm really sad to say because I had hopes. It has proven to be passable ONLY when the task at hand is utterly tertiary; stuff like mini-games. As soon as Sixaxis is given an important task, like aiming your grenades, then it's just pure failure. (That's the only gripe I have with Uncharted thus far.)

You know what else bugs me with the PS3 controller? What do you do after a year or two when the battery just won't take any more charge? It's internal suppy so we need to pony up for a new controller, right?

Dyno said:
Sixaxis is given an important task, like aiming your grenades, then it's just pure failure. (That's the only gripe I have with Uncharted thus far.) You need to practice more then because it's very easy and nicely implemented.

You know what else bugs me with the PS3 controller? What do you do after a year or two when the battery just won't take any more charge? It's internal supply so we need to pony up for a new controller, right? Check the manual, it shows you how to remove it and Sony will replace it.

Anyways, I expect mine to arrive early next week.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Tried mine out with GT5 Prologue demo just now and its nice to have it back.
Its not the strongest rumble in GT5 but it shakes when you brake or skid and obviously when you hit another car.
I'll give it a whirl with Ratchet & Clank + Motorstorm later on.

Dyno

user friendly said:
You need to practice more then because it's very easy and nicely implemented.

You cut me deep, user... Real deep.

In my weak defense however I will remind you that simply pushing a button has done justice to throwing grenades for centuries now. Innovation does not mean adding complexity to an already established simple task. Log balancing on the other hand, geez I don't know how God of War and Prince of Persia managed!

Check the manual, it shows you how to remove it and Sony will replace it.

This I did not know, thanks! It lessens the gripe somewhat... Only I just thought of another problem. Do you have to send the old battery to Sony? Are you not then waiting for a new battery to show up and therefore have to have a second controller kicking around to sub in for the first?

360 did this part right.

Dyno said:
You cut me deep, user... Real deep.

In my weak defense however I will remind you that simply pushing a button has done justice to throwing grenades for centuries now. Innovation does not mean adding complexity to an already established simple task. Log balancing on the other hand, geez I don't know how God of War and Prince of Persia managed!

Yeah, it seems they just wanted to implement the SIXAXIS in more than one way I guess. I'm glad it wasn't an absolute disaster though. The cool thing about it is that you can use the right stick to aim with precision and just tilt the controller back to get the distance you want. I agree it is fairly complex but I got the hang of it in the demo and was mastering it the first play through of the game.

This I did not know, thanks! It lessens the gripe somewhat... Only I just thought of another problem. Do you have to send the old battery to Sony? Are you not then waiting for a new battery to show up and therefore have to have a second controller kicking around to sub in for the first?

I'm not sure, you may even have to send in the whole controller. I'd like to call Sony about this but they may not have anything set up right now as they don't seem to expect the batteries to stop taking charges for few years at least. I prefer the lightness of the lithium ion cells over AA batts. You can buy them if you don't think you could wait.

Kinda pricey to do it yourself, would be nice if Sony shipped you the battery when you run into this problem.

Bebpo

Banned
fwiw, talking about battery replacement stuff, there's a good chance the PS4 will be out before your batteries die and you have to even think about it.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Dyno said:
Sixaxis is a gimmick, I'm really sad to say because I had hopes. It has proven to be passable ONLY when the task at hand is utterly tertiary; stuff like mini-games. As soon as Sixaxis is given an important task, like aiming your grenades, then it's just pure failure. (That's the only gripe I have with Uncharted thus far.)
For what it's worth, you should be able to aim grenades using the left and right stick as well in Uncharted.

There's few big games where I had absolutely no qualms when motion sensing was used as a primary gameplay device. Flying in R&C, aftertouch in HS, driving large vehicles in Motorstorm (only large vehicles, though!) and also grenades in Uncharted I had no problems with. Also, I didn't play Warhawk much, but I know that a some people mastered flying in that game using tilting and wouldn't go back to analog sticks.

datamage

Well I finally got to spend more time with the DS3.

I like it, and something about the analog sticks feel better... or is it just me? To be honest, if I could do it all over again, I probably wouldn't. Paying a premium to have the rumble now wasn't really worth it. I like the way it feels in Uncharted, but I don't know, maybe I expected more. *shrug*

On the other hand, I've played Uncharted for about 5 hours and the battery still shows as full strength. I've also yet to have any connection drop-outs. Oh, and the white is sexy. :)

Bebpo

Banned
datamage said:
...I've also yet to have any connection drop-outs.

Yeah, I noticed this too. I played through all of Uncharted with the DS3 without a single drop-out. Whereas when I played Ratchet a few weeks prior with the Sixaxis I got about 3-4 drop outs before the game ended.

Now I don't want to believe that the DS3 fixes the dropout issue, because then when it drops out I will be sad, but hmmm...

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Bebpo said:
Yeah, I noticed this too. I played through all of Uncharted with the DS3 without a single drop-out. Whereas when I played Ratchet a few weeks prior with the Sixaxis I got about 3-4 drop outs before the game ended.

Now I don't want to believe that the DS3 fixes the dropout issue, because then when it drops out I will be sad, but hmmm...

Same here. DS3 hasn't failed me yet. DS2 did before plenty of times.

*I'm pretty sure it will drop-out after this post*

typo said:
$80 fucking dollars for a rumbling controller?! Has the world gone mad?!
Ughhh I know I want one but I don't want to pay that much. Does anyone know what they'll cost when they hit the U.S.? Hopefully no more that $49

Core407

Banned
InterMoniker said:
Ughhh I know I want one but I don't want to pay that much. Does anyone know what they'll cost when they hit the U.S.? Hopefully no more that $49

$49 most likely. The $80 is a markup (obviously).

BeeDog

Funny that so many people are complaining about pricing: here in Sweden a regular controller still costs me more than a Dualshock 3 shipped from Japan to Sweden!

BeeDog said:
Funny that so many people are complaining about pricing: here in Sweden a regular controller still costs me more than a Dualshock 3 shipped from Japan to Sweden!
Economy is crazy :0 I wish the DS3 was less here. Trust me I wouldn't complain if I was in your situation it's cheaper!

Mine arrived from Play-Asia the other day, and I'm loving it--the white shell looks just fantastic. Still, there is one thing that's been vexing me--I cannot figure out for the life of me how to permanently desgnate the new controller as controller 1. I can set it to 1 for a single gaming session by hitting the PS button, but I can't make it stick at #1. Can any of you guys help me out? I'm eager to unload my original Sixaxis controllers on eBay while it's still possible to do so without taking a bath.

Goldrusher

andrewjnyc said:
Mine arrived from Play-Asia the other day, and I'm loving it--the white shell looks just fantastic. Still, there is one thing that's been vexing me--I cannot figure out for the life of me how to permanently desgnate the new controller as controller 1. I can set it to 1 for a single gaming session by hitting the PS button, but I can't make it stick at #1. Can any of you guys help me out? I'm eager to unload my original Sixaxis controllers on eBay while it's still possible to do so without taking a bath.

So...you only have 1 controller connected...and it's not showing up as #1 ?

Top Bottom