• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Dual Shock 3 - Who's importing?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Dyno said:
You cut me deep, user... Real deep.

In my weak defense however I will remind you that simply pushing a button has done justice to throwing grenades for centuries now. Innovation does not mean adding complexity to an already established simple task. Log balancing on the other hand, geez I don't know how God of War and Prince of Persia managed!

whatever you do, don't look at that new console Nintendo just bought out. You wouldn't like it...

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Played for 6 hours straight at various games without a single drop-out.

Next time will play for 12 just to be 100% sure. :p

Evlar

Banned
andrewjnyc said:
Mine arrived from Play-Asia the other day, and I'm loving it--the white shell looks just fantastic. Still, there is one thing that's been vexing me--I cannot figure out for the life of me how to permanently desgnate the new controller as controller 1. I can set it to 1 for a single gaming session by hitting the PS button, but I can't make it stick at #1. Can any of you guys help me out? I'm eager to unload my original Sixaxis controllers on eBay while it's still possible to do so without taking a bath.
Try changing it while you're in the XMB.

EDIT: NM, I obviously don't know what I'm talking about. Hmm. I simply changed it in Uncharted and it's been set to #1 ever since. Do you have the current Controller #1 turned on when you make the switch? I did, and that's the only thing unusual I can think of.

ypo

Actually the drop out seems fixed with the newer Sixaxis already. Got a controller recently and had zero drop outs so far. Not surprising this is true with the DS3.

marwan

Banned
i just got DS3 and i would like to know how to i enable Blast Factor and Super Stardust to vibrate? i was son the PSstore and i can't seem to find any patches.

help me out guys.

calder

I haven't missed rumble all that much, and I wasn't terribly fussed about the 08 launch for the DS3 here in NA when I heard it's basically the same rumble as 2, but I think I might have to buy one now. I've dropped my sixaxis a few times, but last week when it took a tumble from the bookshelf to the hardwood it developed a few troubling rattles and a creaky noise from the right stick. It's strange since the damn thing is so light you'd think it would handle a fall better but after a few mine is sounding kinda iffy.

TTP said:

This is HUGE and essentially means that the Sixaxis had a faulty bluetooth connection to the PS3. I'm extremely happy too, since I really love my 100% backwards compatible 60gig system, and had no plans on changing it out for an 80gig with a working Sixaxis.

Now I just need to order my DualShock3 and totally remove all the drop outs. Woohoo!

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
I've been using mine for 2 days now in Motorstorm and Ratchet&Clank and thinks its great.

I found the Sixaxis too light, so much so that I was dire at the flying sections. With DS3 I found it much much easier to control as controller has some natural weight now.

marwan said:
i just got DS3 and i would like to know how to i enable Blast Factor and Super Stardust to vibrate? i was son the PSstore and i can't seem to find any patches.

help me out guys.

Aren't they going to be patched later on?

The pad is heavier than I was expecting but certainly feels more solid. Not fussed over the actual rumble though, the games felt no better with it, but the White DS3 looks great.

Yeah, no more dropouts on my PS3 either. 5+ Everyday shooter sessions and it never dropped, which is basically a record in my books.

The only prob now is that after starting Uncharted, the right analog stick has started behaving weird. Rotating near down-left will cause the controller to start registering that I'm holding down up in addition to the current direction, so that when I go to neutral, it thinks I'm holding up. You can sort of "wiggle" out of it temporarily, but its still damn annoying. The problem happens in ES now too.

Tried plugging the controller in, and up-lock goes away, but the downleft weirdness is still there. A bit less...I'm wondering if I just need the controller to be conditioned more or if there is some sort of calibration checklist to go through?

marwan

Banned
Katana_Strikes said:
Aren't they going to be patched later on?

The pad is heavier than I was expecting but certainly feels more solid. Not fussed over the actual rumble though, the games felt no better with it, but the White DS3 looks great.

hmmmm, i thought the patches were out for the DS3 compatible controller. Uncharted and Ratchet are Already rumble compatible, why would SCEA wait till the DS3 is released in the U.S.

Evlar

Banned
marwan said:
hmmmm, i thought the patches were out for the DS3 compatible controller. Uncharted and Ratchet are Already rumble compatible, why would SCEA wait till the DS3 is released in the U.S.
According to this post it will be patched in. Don't know the source of that list.

Chris R

So wait, does this controller work with PS2 vibrations? I might have to import one now instead of waiting if this is the case.

Evlar

Banned
rhfb said:
So wait, does this controller work with PS2 vibrations? I might have to import one now instead of waiting if this is the case.
Yessir. I can confirm vibration compatibility for US 60GB is intact. I suppose it works for non-EE backwards compatibility as well.

Chris R

The Sphinx said:
Yessir. I can confirm vibration compatibility for US 60GB is intact. I suppose it works for non-EE backwards compatibility as well.
sweeeeeeeeet

And I love the white color. Going to try and find one locally, and if not just import it :lol

marwan

Banned
i've had Motorstorm for almost a year now, and i refuse to play it without vibration....so i'll wait for the patch.

Try changing it while you're in the XMB.

EDIT: NM, I obviously don't know what I'm talking about. Hmm. I simply changed it in Uncharted and it's been set to #1 ever since. Do you have the current Controller #1 turned on when you make the switch? I did, and that's the only thing unusual I can think of.

Not only are my two Sixaxis controllers turned off, but both presently have dead batteries. The imported DualShock 3 is the only "active" controller, and it still defaults to being controller 3 every time I turn on the console. Every time, I have to manually reassign it to #1 'cause every time it goes back to being #3 when the console is restarted. It's really annoying.

andrewjnyc said:
Not only are my two Sixaxis controllers turned off, but both presently have dead batteries. The imported DualShock 3 is the only "active" controller, and it still defaults to being controller 3 every time I turn on the console. Every time, I have to manually reassign it to #1 'cause every time it goes back to being #3 when the console is restarted. It's really annoying.

Did you try doing the hardware controller reset? (use a paperclip, there is a little hole with a button in it underneath the controller near L2). If that doesn't work I'd guess you'd need to do the Restore PS3 Default Settings option...? (not to be confused with the other PS3 Restore option which would wipe your hard drive, this one would nuke your network settings though.)

Goldrusher

Try connecting all of your controllers, then switching the DS3 to #1.

I had a regular Sixaxis connected as #1, when I connected the DS3 for the first time. I switched it's #2 to #1 and it's been #1 ever since, even if it's the only controller connected.

marwan

Banned
when i started Motorstorm online, it says there is an update available, but then it load and it says Update not available. WTF?

i even checked on PSN and there is no rumble patch! :(

I just ordered a ceramic white DS3 from play-asia, although it is back-ordered for the time being.

Play-asia customers should definitely check their email. I used an $8 off Christmas coupon they sent me.

I've played PS2 games exclusively on the PS3 for almost a year now. I'm curious to see how much I've missed the force feedback.

nofi

Mine has just arrived. It's absolutely gorgeous in white. The triggers feel much better, the weight is better, it's - oooh - all better.

snorggy

nofi said:
Mine has just arrived. It's absolutely gorgeous in white. The triggers feel much better, the weight is better, it's - oooh - all better.

wait, what?! the triggers feel better? how so? that is the one gripe i have with the sixaxis.. even more than the lack of rumble.

nofi

snorggy said:
wait, what?! the triggers feel better? how so? that is the one gripe i have with the sixaxis.. even more than the lack of rumble.

Unless I'm making stuff up - they just feel smoother. Not looser, as such, but more even.

4ndii

TTP said:

Great news! Sixaxis am obsolete total. Will unload my two Sixaxes as soon as DS3 arrives...

Just received my Oct.14th order from YesAsia today, in Canada. Going to try it out, hope this info helps people waiting on theirs from YesAsia.

nofi said:
Unless I'm making stuff up - they just feel smoother. Not looser, as such, but more even.
Freaky. Triggers feel exactly the same for me. No wait, maybe they creak a little less? It's difficult to tell. The whole pad does feel more substantial though.

No_Style

TTP said:

Hey, TTP. Did you have drop outs before with SIXAXIS controllers? If you did, how frequent was it for you?

I assume yes. Otherwise you wouldn't be posting about it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
inpHilltr8r said:
Freaky. Triggers feel exactly the same for me. No wait, maybe they creak a little less? It's difficult to tell. The whole pad does feel more substantial though.

The triggers are definitely less mushy. Compared it side-by-side with a Sixaxis and the mushy resistance toward the bottom is definitely much less, at least on my controllers.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
No_Style said:
Hey, TTP. Did you have drop outs before with SIXAXIS controllers? If you did, how frequent was it for you?

I assume yes. Otherwise you wouldn't be posting about it.

Still no drops to report. :)

Edit: misread ur post. Yes, I had plenty of drops before. Like everyfuckingtime I was playing anything.

nofi

AstroLad said:
The triggers are definitely less mushy. Compared it side-by-side with a Sixaxis and the mushy resistance toward the bottom is definitely much less, at least on my controllers.
Yeah, they're better made, it's a clear difference side-by-side, it's a smoother motion and the tension is the same all the way.

mutsu

purnoman3000 said:
Just received my Oct.14th order from YesAsia today, in Canada. Going to try it out, hope this info helps people waiting on theirs from YesAsia.

Pretty sure they are now fully stocked now. The item pages now say they are in stock. Both the white and the black.

JB1981

i think i read somewhere on this board that people thinking sony "screwed up rumble" with the DS but that shit simply ain't true. God of War 2 with rumble enabled is a rocking time. Uncharted feels great too. Some of these games that feel "lite" might just be due to bad programming.

the analog sticks are definitely tweaked for better clicking too. they feel a lot better for zooming in in fps for example

matticus

andrewjnyc said:

You wouldn't happen to have Rock Band peripherals plugged in would you? I know it does that to me when they are plugged in because they take slots 1 and 2. I'd just rather reassign the controller once when I turn on the PS3 though then keep plugging in/unplugging those.

Fletcher

I'm sure this has been asked plenty of times, and aplogize for this, but does anyone know if the PS3's dvd player region free?

Top Bottom