• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Dual Shock 3 - Who's importing?

JB1981

damn the reapers in resistance feel awesome with rumble.

nice work, insomniac.

anyone tried HS yet? Might have to try that out before bed.

I'm thinking of importing since I'd like a second controller, the Dual Shake is already $50, and there are no games coming out for the PS3 I'll be buying any time soon.

Stupid expensive everything this generation. :p

careksims

Just got the white version in the mail. The weight does feel good, dunno about the triggers. Kinda feel the same. Maybe a bit tighter. I miss the rumble and it feels good.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
2days left till paypal gets my money, then i can instantly pay yesasia for a white dualshock 2.... hope i get it before Xmas but i doubt it (Eu Importer) :(

nofi

careksims said:
Just got the white version in the mail. The weight does feel good, dunno about the triggers. Kinda feel the same. Maybe a bit tighter. I miss the rumble and it feels good.

The triggers are definitely better, at least they're better than my PAL launch ones, on both Sixaxis controllers I have already.

Yeah, rumble is ace, glad to have it back.

GottiDC

Banned
got mine last week, the controller is he best controller ever. rumble feels good to be back. it really works well wit uncharted

IMG_0085.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

DCFN0005.jpg

yes yes you gottah love it, YAA DIIIG

OH YES, and the controller never drops sync either. sony finaly fixed that

Oni Jazar

I got mine yesterday and played around for a bit and while I'm glad to have rumble back I do kind of miss the light weight of the original Sixaxis. It just melted in your hands.

inner-G

Banned
So, how does the battery life stack up to the SIXAXIS?

(still waiting on mine, stupid super saver shipping from asia -_-)

inner-G said:
So, how does the battery life stack up to the SIXAXIS?

(still waiting on mine, stupid super saver shipping from asia -_-)
I've only had a limited chance to play around with the DS3 I received early last week. From the one day of semi heavy usage (maybe 5 hours of gameplay, plus a blue-ray) it seemed to be down to a single bar faster than my original sixaxis.

However I did not charge it initially, just unpacked it and used it -- so that might have been a factor (I didn't think to note if it showed fully charged when I started using it). I charged it up over the weekend, will see how it handles another play session hopefully this week.

BTW: love the heft of the DS3 vs. the sixaxis -- I would get hand cramps from the overly light sixaxis in longer playing sessions -- don't seem to have the same problem with the DS3. I think because of the lightness I would overgrip (grip too tight) the sixaxis.

Oh, and I like the white, very nice looking and easy to distinguish from the sixaxis.

nofi

GottiDC said:
same as the sixaxis, it last pretty long

Yup, the rumble doesn't seem to make any difference. Just make sure you fully run down and charge up the battery and you'll be happy.

DeadGzuz

Banned
I ordered my black DS3 last night with the $8 off coupon from play asia. I never had any dropped signal from either of my Sixaxis, except maybe once or twice in the first few months, I suspect it's related to interference and not hardware defects.

JB1981

Maggot9 said:
flow has rumble?

does SSHD have it yet?
yes it's got the rumble.

and it feels good. i actually love the new controller. much sturdier, feels great in the hands, nice and weighty - doesn't look like cheap plastic and they definitely tweaked the analog sticks. clicking down actually clicks now, instead of rolling your thumbs

GottiDC said:
OH YES, and the controller never drops sync either. sony finaly fixed that

Sweeeeeet. That totally needed fixing. It gets annoying especially when you're playing COD4 on Veteran and then you drop sync and accidentally walk into a firefight. :|

Hrm. I guess my DS3 might be screwed. I wonder what it would take to get it fixed. J-GAF? ;_;

(edit: actually, it is safe to just unscrew and open up the controller? maybe there is a chance of there just being some crap floating around the analog stick...)

xemumanic

I've decided to wait on the US release for the DS3, or at very least until import prices drop.

But in the meanwhile, I wanna see drivers that work on this thing, WITH rumble, for the PC. I'm not even very interested in the tilt control, but it'd be nice to see that too. Wired or wireless, I can just imagine running PCSX 2 and PC games with this. :D

$h@d0w

JB1981 said:
yes it's got the rumble.

and it feels good. i actually love the new controller. much sturdier, feels great in the hands, nice and weighty - doesn't look like cheap plastic and they definitely tweaked the analog sticks. clicking down actually clicks now, instead of rolling your thumbs

Do you need to update the game in anyway to get the rumble?

1. No dropouts, I think it's safe to say now that DS3 eliminates the problem. I've played lots of Uncharted and Everyday Shooter, the latter of which would average 1/dropout a game, and nothing of the sort has happened.

2. I literally just thrashed my controller around (threw it across the room a couple times, spun the analog stick for 10 minutes) and the analog stick issue at least *seems* to have smoothed itself out. Not totally convinced yet, but who knows. The stick does push out as well as push in, which is somewhat disturbing.

Anyway, even though it's "only" a matter of adding rumble, the controller feels like a sturdier device and I wouldn't hesitate to call it a must buy.

careksims

Was able to use it on Resistance Clan night and it felt so sweet! Finally feeling the rumble when shooting the guns just feels so right again. Also tried it with Ratchet and Clank. The added weight makes a difference too. I am very pleased with it.

.hacked

ordered 2 black ones off of Ebay Monday, should be here by friday.

I was going to hold off for the US release but I ended up getting a nice deal and had some extra money in my paypal so I went for it.

kenta

Has no PEINS
After using mine for a while I've come to once again realize I'm completely apathetic towards rumble, I just simply don't care if it's in a controller or not. What makes the DS3 such a great purchase for me is just how freaking solid and well-built it feels. It has a perfect weight to it, it's assembled cleanly, it doesn't twist and squeak and it doesn't have spazzes. As far as I'm concerned, this is the ultimate PlayStation controller

4ndii

Crazymoogle said:
1. No dropouts, I think it's safe to say now that DS3 eliminates the problem. I've played lots of Uncharted and Everyday Shooter, the latter of which would average 1/dropout a game, and nothing of the sort has happened.

2. I literally just thrashed my controller around (threw it across the room a couple times, spun the analog stick for 10 minutes) and the analog stick issue at least *seems* to have smoothed itself out. Not totally convinced yet, but who knows. The stick does push out as well as push in, which is somewhat disturbing.

Anyway, even though it's "only" a matter of adding rumble, the controller feels like a sturdier device and I wouldn't hesitate to call it a must buy.

I quit playing Everyday Shooter because of the dropouts and I prefer not to use a wired USB connection. As soon as my DS3 arrives, I will finally play Everyday Shooter again. I will also start my second playthrough of Uncharted!

Non-spazzing controller > rumble

tanod

when is my burrito
krypt0nian said:
Confirming the no dropouts fix. :D :D :D

So it's basically confirmed to be a controller issue and not a console hardware issue. This is kind of big news. I need to call Sony and get my controllers replaced under warranty.

New thread worthy, IMO.

tanod said:
So it's basically confirmed to be a controller issue and not a console hardware issue. This is kind of big news. I need to call Sony and get my controllers replaced under warranty.

New thread worthy, IMO.

Well after say 26-30 hours of play not one drop out. I used to have them once a play session at least.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
tanod said:

New thread worthy, IMO.

I indeed think the fix is not DS3 only but applies to all the lastest built Sixaxis controllers. Would be nice to know exactly which model # means "no drop-outs". FWIW, japanese DS3 is CECHZC2J. Old Japanese DS2 is CECHZC1J.

keyrat

I bought two because I wanted to have 4 controllers and didn't want to buy two regular Sixaxis now only to have to get rumble ones later on. Anyway, all I have to say is that it's honestly the most useless shit in gaming.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
keyrat said:
I bought two because I wanted to have 4 controllers and didn't want to buy two regular Sixaxis now only to have to get rumble ones later on. Anyway, all I have to say is that it's honestly the most useless shit in gaming.

How do you play games without?

keyrat

TTP said:
How do you play games without?

Seriously? It feels really gimmicky now that I've been without for a while. The thing shakes but it's not like it feels realistic or immersing. It's just shaking. Example: a grenade goes off and you're too close, the sound goes away and gives a long beep while the screen flashes white. Meanwhile the controller farts out it's long and maximum vibration which feels nothing like a grenade in my hands.

kenta

Has no PEINS
keyrat said:
Seriously? It feels really gimmicky now that I've been without for a while. The thing shakes but it's not like it feels realistic or immersing. It's just shaking. Example: a grenade goes off and you're too close, the sound goes away and gives a long beep while the screen flashes white. Meanwhile the controller farts out it's long and maximum vibration which feels nothing like a grenade in my hands.
Completely agree with this, I wish they'd opted for the TouchSense to at least make the rumble feel somewhat relevant but whatever

Well, I tried resetting all three of my controllers by sticking a paperclip in the hole on the bottom of the controller, and the DS3 still defaults to being controller #3. I'm a little wary about doing any sort of huge reset of the console settings...do I need to maybe be holding down one or more controller buttons in addition to the reset toggle for the whole thing to work? Maybe I should look online for an official PDF of the PS3 manual...

keyrat

andrewjnyc said:
Well, I tried resetting all three of my controllers by sticking a paperclip in the hole on the bottom of the controller, and the DS3 still defaults to being controller #3. I'm a little wary about doing any sort of huge reset of the console settings...do I need to maybe be holding down one or more controller buttons in addition to the reset toggle for the whole thing to work? Maybe I should look online for an official PDF of the PS3 manual...

you don't have an RB/GH dongle or anything like that plugged in do you?

keyrat said:
you don't have an RB/GH dongle or anything like that plugged in do you?

No, but, come to think of it, I do have a peripheral adapter to which I've connected an IR eye for use with my universal remote as well as the IR receiver for the Logitech wireless PS2 controller that I was using to get rumble on old PS2 games. I'll try unplugging that before resetting the controllers again...

NekoFever

I got my white one today and I like it a lot. I played a couple of hours of Uncharted and the rumble seems good - seems more like a buzz than the DS2, but good - and I really like having a bit of weight to the controller. The Sixaxis was just way too light for me so this is a lot more like it. Too bad that they haven't fixed those awful triggers, though. I need to pick up that magazine with the free attachments.

One other thing is that I'm yet to have the signal drop out in three hours or so total. I'm not going to jump the gun and say that the issues are fixed but going that long without it happening to my Sixaxis would have been very unusual.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
I just got my white ceramic. Booted up Resistance. I'm not sure if rumble is even working.I think I felt a minor buzzing once but I may be wrong. I checked the controller options and it says vibration is on. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to charge the controller to max first? It was the second level so I only had access to like a couple weapons.

Man my DualShock 3 better not be broken. :-(

careksims

GottiDC said:
any body wit cod4 and the ds3, does the rumble work for that game?

I don't think they put in rumble for CoD4. I was playing CoD4 yesterday and there was rumble when I shoot. I hope they update this :/

YYZ

I have never had a dropout with the SIXAXIS, I've played Resistance, SSHD, ton of Uncharted, and a ton of RR7 around launch. Did I just get lucky? I have a 20GB model and SIXAXIS from launch.

Top Bottom