• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Dual Shock 3 - Who's importing?

Kittonwy said:
I didn't have to order rawr.
Indifferent2.gif
Great now I feel bad about myself : (

I'm trying really hard to find an import game shop in Denver. There HAS to freaking be one, this city is huge and has a massive Asian population. The yellow pages aren't really any help and thegoogle isn't either.

Aske

TheKurgan said:
Not to derail the thread but does anyone know when the DS3 will be available in NA? Can we expect it in the spring or is PlayAsia the only way to get one before fall?

I'm wondering about this too. It seems very odd that we've heard nothing about it since it released in Japan. Part of me is hoping NA gets something a little different, preferably with real triggers, and this is the only reason I haven't imported yet. My sixaxis needs replacing and I miss rumble, but I don't want to jump the gun and miss out on any tweaks made to the western model. If we're getting exactly the same DS3 as the Japanese, I'd love to know the reason for the NA delay. We don't even have a release date yet.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Getting mine from a friend who is over in Japan. Beautiful white. Can't wait for Motorstorm and Resistance and Uncharted with it, they're patched for US versions too right?

Goldrusher

Chittagong said:
Getting mine from a friend who is over in Japan. Beautiful white. Can't wait for Motorstorm and Resistance and Uncharted with it, they're patched for US versions too right?

Right.

Well not really, since Uncharted doesn't need a patch. Rumble is on the disc.

Leo the 3rd

Lord of the Manberries
I've been enjoying mine and like the fact that connectivity is not an issue - use to experience random drops at the worst time - especially in FPS like COD4 and Resistance.

Struct09

I told myself I wasn't going to import one of these when I bought a PS3.

I bought a PS3 last night, and ordered a black DS3 from play-asia this morning. $66 after shipping seemed fair :p

Kittonwy

Banned
chaoticprout said:
Yeah after seeing this IRL, I'm waiting till there's a white PS3 w/ DS3 bundled in the US to play.
'
They sell teh white one as well at the store where I picked up mine, I bought a black one though.
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
Maggot9 said:
Where did you pick yours up at? If it's a store in TO I might be able to get one.

Go to Pacific Mall, they have the DS3 in black AND white at a store closer to the corner near steeles and Kennedy, it's a bit of a ripoff though, like 80 bucks, it's obviously cheaper online unless you have expedite shipping or something.
Indifferent2.gif

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I just got my Ceramic White DS3 today!!! So nice and smooth! Had 1/2 a charge so I will wait to rock out with it. Play-Asia was on the ball with this one. It shipped on the 27th and I got it today (5th). SUPER FAST delivery considering the New Year and all.

aparisi2274

hey qq to anyone who might be playing GRAW2.

According to ncs website for the DS3 they says that GRAW2 is compatible with the DS3 via a software update. Does anyone know if that software update is out? Or if its coming soon?

Thanks

I just ordered a white DS3 off play-asia last night around 8pm, and its already shipped and at the ups hub. Go Play-asia. UT3 should be a blast with this.

Baker

Banned
I just ordered a white one. Some random, annoying asshole at work was just running around bragging that he had one. I didn't even know he owned any kind of console.

Anyways, I got jealous and was looking for motivation to play Uncharted again.

Aske

So I broke down and grabbed a DS3 from ebay. I needed a second controller, and I had to play DMC4 with rumble. Very glad I went for it. $52 plus $15 EMS shipping from Japan had it in my hands in 4 days, and it's worth every penny.

It's a shade heavier than the sixaxis, but even with a sixaxis in one hand and a DS3 in the other there isn't an obvious difference. I forget how much heavier the DS2 was, but you could pick up a DS3 and think it was a sixaxis very easily. However the build quality is night and day: the DS3 seems much more robust, and that makes the sixaxis feel a lot less significant in the hand by comparison, even if both weights are comparable.

There are also some subtle but obvious improvements to the DualShock design. As others have noted, the triggers are tighter and feel slightly more satisfying to press. But am I alone in thinking the D-pad feels far better on the DS3? I never had a problem with the DS2 or sixaxis D-pad, but the DS3 pad feels fantastic. There's a satisfying sense of clickage with all eight directions, as if the controller is confirming the diagonals when you press them. I get a much greater sense of feedback to my thumb from the pad. I haven't tested it with any games yet, but it seems like a huge mechanical improvement.

Rumble feels tighter than it did in the DS2. I've only tested it with SSHD, and I can't tell if the DS3 is capable of a greater range of vibrations from my limited experience. However, the motors do feel much more integrated into the controller this time around - more like the 360's pad - and compared to the DS2, it does feel like a true step up. Thinking of which, some have said the DS3's rumble is weaker than the 360s. I couldn't tell, though I had been playing Gears that morning and didn't subsequently feel the DS3's vibration was lacking. But it's definitely a different rumble. Not better or worse; just a very different tactile experience.

Overall I'm surprised by how impressive the new pad feels. I expected a DS2 in a sixaxis shell, but the DS3 feels like a genuine redesign. I'm certain there have been some subtle changes that make for a significantly improved controller. If only those changes had included proper triggers.

Edit: I can't comment on any improvements to the bluetooth signal dropouts yet. I haven't used the DS3 enough, and since I very rarely experienced the problem with my sixaxis I'm not the best person to discuss the issue.

Struct09

For those that ordered through Play-Asia and picked the cheapest shipping option, how did it show up? Just through USPS?

Mine shipped out on 1/4 and I still don't have it :(

Pachimari

So I were to order a Dual Shock 3 today but ran into an annoying problem. I tried at YesAsia but apparently they want confirmation that my bank account is mine, and I can't give them a confirmation because i don't have an ActivCard which can translate a password into 8 digits.

What should I do now? I live in Europe btw.

5tr4p0n

Struct09 said:
For those that ordered through Play-Asia and picked the cheapest shipping option, how did it show up? Just through USPS?

Mine shipped out on 1/4 and I still don't have it :(

I got the message that it had been shipped 14 days before it arrived. Took a long time, but I just didn't think about it and when I finally arrived I almost couldn't remember ordering it.

Maggot9

Banned
Should I order mine from YesAsia or from Play-Asia? It's cheaper at YesAsia, but has anyone had any bad experiences with them? Or even Play-Asia for that matter?

aparisi2274

Maggot9 said:
Should I order mine from YesAsia or from Play-Asia? It's cheaper at YesAsia, but has anyone had any bad experiences with them? Or even Play-Asia for that matter?

Why dont you order from ncsx.com, its cheaper than both those places....

aparisi2274

jeremy_ricci said:
My question is, has anyone at all experienced any drop out with the DS3?

I played Uncharted one night for 5hrs, and then again the next night for around 4.5hrs until I beat it, and it never once crapped out on me... :)

DS3 FTMFW!!!!!

BeeDog

jeremy_ricci said:
My question is, has anyone at all experienced any drop out with the DS3?

I've never experienced any dropouts with it, let alone with my two original Sixaxis'. I'm damn thankful they've never crapped out on me.

|ync

aparisi2274 said:
Why dont you order from ncsx.com, its cheaper than both those places....

?

ncsx.com: $65 + $21.40 shipping (Toronto, ON, CA)
playasia.com: $59.90 + $9.00 shipping
yesasia.com: $69.99 + free shipping

I checked cause I just bought some a few minutes ago.

lupinko

Kittonwy said:
Go to Pacific Mall, they have the DS3 in black AND white at a store closer to the corner near steeles and Kennedy, it's a bit of a ripoff though, like 80 bucks, it's obviously cheaper online unless you have expedite shipping or something.
Indifferent2.gif

Priority Overnight Shipping > waiting.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
If anyone is ordering off Play-Asia... When checking out, use these coupon codes:

- Code: RE-TAI-LAA ($5 off $50+ orders. Expires January 31, 2008. Can be used multiple times.)

- Code: RE-TAI-LAB ($10 oof $100+ orders. Expires January 31, 2008. Can be used multiple times.)

And if you're feeling nice... use my affiliate link.

Oudom

Importing is to expensive for me and I can't wait that long for this controller to release to NA.
So I'm looking forward to this 3rd party controller being released at the end of this month.
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/29490.html
My hands tend to get sweaty while playing games and this controller in particular has a heat dissipating feature.

aparisi2274

|ync said:
?

ncsx.com: $65 + $21.40 shipping (Toronto, ON, CA)
playasia.com: $59.90 + $9.00 shipping
yesasia.com: $69.99 + free shipping

I checked cause I just bought some a few minutes ago.

Sorry about that... for some reason I thought they were $54.99

Teknoman

Ah screw it. I'm just going to order from playasia:lol Seriously, knowing all my PS3 games that I currently own are rumble compatible, and not being able to feel it is really wearing thin.

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
Oudom said:
Importing is to expensive for me and I can't wait that long for this controller to release to NA.
So I'm looking forward to this 3rd party controller being released at the end of this month.
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/29490.html
My hands tend to get sweaty while playing games and this controller in particular has a heat dissipating feature.

Nice. Looks like it has real trigger buttons. I may get this one instead of the DS3. Thanks.

bill0527

Are all PS3 games releases from here on out going to be rumble compatible?

I just played the Burnout Paradise demo on the PS3 and this game absolutely needs rumble. Its probably the only PS3 game I've ever played where I've actually missed it. If the game isn't going to support it, then I'll probably just get the 360 version.

Raistlin

Why is the packaging for the Japanese controller so much better than the US?

God I hate blister packaging.

bill0527 said:
I just played the Burnout Paradise demo on the PS3 and this game absolutely needs rumble. Its probably the only PS3 game I've ever played where I've actually missed it. If the game isn't going to support it, then I'll probably just get the 360 version.

Its in there.

harSon

Banned
Where is the cheapest place I can pick one up right now? I told myself I'd wait but I lied :D I need rumble with my upcoming Playstation 3 gaming!

Top Bottom