• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Dual Shock 3 - Who's importing?

Slavik81

harSon said:
Where is the cheapest place I can pick one up right now? I told myself I'd wait but I lied :D I need rumble with my upcoming Playstation 3 gaming!
PlayAsia + coupon, as far as I know. I ordered on the 2nd, so hopefully I'll see my order in the next few days.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
harSon said:
Where is the cheapest place I can pick one up right now? I told myself I'd wait but I lied :D I need rumble with my upcoming Playstation 3 gaming!

Check the previous page! I just posted up some coupon codes, so depending on if you order anything else, it can save you some extra $$$$...

Banned
Yay, DS3 is here.

It's maybe just because it's new, but the sticks on this feel a lot better than they do on my sixaxis - better texture on the top (most likely just worn down a bit on the sixaxis) but they seem tighter with less "wiggle" before the movement is registered.

Triggers are looser, which is a good thing, as they were too tight before for that convex design. It's possibly because I went for a white one (so I could just pick up the pad and know which was which without thinking) but the plastic it's made of feels more solid too. PS button actually has a click now, whereas it was just kind of "mushy" on my sixaxis.

Disappointed that they didn't include a USB lead though, and the rumble feels a bit strange. It seems to keep spinning for a half second or so after it's rumbled which you can hear as well as feel. Seems like it's actually worse than the DS2? Definitely seems weaker, but that's maybe just how Uncharted is using it.

Kweh

Shouldn't these be out (or at least a shipping date for when these are coming out) in the US and EU by now. What's the holdup with something like this?

The fact that they are "coming", but not out now in the current bundles must be putting alot of potential buyers off for the time being.

kikonawa

Uncharted Drake's Fortune (Japan Version) Sony PLAYSTATION 3 (PS3)
~ Sony Computer Entertainment
only 33EURO free shipping
does the JApan version of this game has also english voice ?

Tntnnbltn

kikonawa said:
Uncharted Drake's Fortune (Japan Version) Sony PLAYSTATION 3 (PS3)
~ Sony Computer Entertainment
only 33EURO free shipping
does the JApan version of this game has also english voice ?
More importantly, does it have rainbows coming out of peoples heads when you shoot them?

On-topic: I'm considering importing a DS3 to Australia. It'll work out cheaper than buying it here... But part of me is worried with the whole warranty thing. That and I'm hoping the US version will come with real triggers.

I've been really busy so I forgot to mention I GOT MINE. Ceramic white and man its great. I swear its like a brick, much heavier and it just feels like one solid piece. The crazy thing was the speed it got here. I got a coupon from liquidmetal (thx) and decided last second to ship ups and pay 20 more bux because I'm an impatient ass. It got to my front door less than 48hrs after I ordered it, fucking crazy. Now I has a coupon that someone can have, but liquid gets first crack because he gave me his. Worth it

Rayne.S

Banned
went for the plunge, ordered one through Ebay @ 40E .... the same day my company gets an offer from greece for 100 units @ 35.00, go figure -_-

bigswords

Ken Masters said:
$60 including shipping? that's pretty good if ture

but I don't mind waiting a little longer for the US release and it will most likely be $49.99

Not only that you'll get a one year warranty from Sony as well.

Clinton514

I got mine from PlayAsia and also picked up a couple of trigger add-ons which came free in a PSW magazine. :p

triggerhappy.jpg

Kyoufu

I'm looking to get one from YesAsia, however I'm wondering how long it takes for them to ship it? I need it to be shipped along with the rest of my order and a delay would be a kick in the balls.

The page says 7-14 days, should I order now so that it is shipped by the 31st?

Kyoufu said:
I'm looking to get one from YesAsia, however I'm wondering how long it takes for them to ship it? I need it to be shipped along with the rest of my order and a delay would be a kick in the balls.

The page says 7-14 days, should I order now so that it is shipped by the 31st?

I got an email saying mine was shipped today and I bought it a couple days ago. The only question is how long their shipping method is going to take.

Kyoufu

Saint Gregory said:
I got an email saying mine was shipped today and I bought it a couple days ago. The only question is how long their shipping method is going to take.

Thanks. I'm planning on using Express shipping for fast delivery.

Teknoman

Ordered mine from PlayAsia a few minutes ago. Black, Economy Bubble wrap shipping, says it should take 5-10 days. I just hope nothing crazy happens to it.

Slavik81

I got mine yesterday. It's FANTASTIC. My only remaining complaint about the controller is its form factor. It's a little small and not too comfortable. But it's no longer too light, it's much more sturdy than before and it has rumble.

Teknoman said:
Ordered mine from PlayAsia a few minutes ago. Black, Economy Bubble wrap shipping, says it should take 5-10 days. I just hope nothing crazy happens to it.
I ordered mine on the 2nd. It shipped on the third and arrived yesterday (the 15th). Nine business days after it shipped.

It also showed up in a box instead of bubble wrap. And it had $10 worth of customs charges on it ($5 worth of the standard GST & PST and a $5 handling fee).

The controller was totally worth it, though. It's fantastic. DS3 + Custom Tracks Super Stardust = A Whole New Game.

No45

Clinton514 said:
I got mine from PlayAsia and also picked up a couple of trigger add-ons which came free in a PSW magazine. :p

triggerhappy.jpg
What are they like? I don't have a major problem with the triggers at the moment but I would like it to be harder for your fingers to slip backwards.

gray_fox224

MarkMan said:
If anyone is ordering off Play-Asia... When checking out, use these coupon codes:

- Code: RE-TAI-LAA ($5 off $50+ orders. Expires January 31, 2008. Can be used multiple times.)

- Code: RE-TAI-LAB ($10 oof $100+ orders. Expires January 31, 2008. Can be used multiple times.)

And if you're feeling nice... use my affiliate link.

Thank you Mark.

My birthday is at the end of this month so I treated myself to a white one. :D

Teknoman

Slavik81 said:
I got mine yesterday. It's FANTASTIC. My only remaining complaint about the controller is its form factor. It's a little small and not too comfortable. But it's no longer too light, it's much more sturdy than before and it has rumble.

I ordered mine on the 2nd. It shipped on the third and arrived yesterday (the 15th). Nine business days after it shipped.

It also showed up in a box instead of bubble wrap. And it had $10 worth of customs charges on it ($5 worth of the standard GST & PST and a $5 handling fee).

The controller was totally worth it, though. It's fantastic. DS3 + Custom Tracks Super Stardust = A Whole New Game.

Heh I havent been this psyched for a controller/accessory since the first Dual Shock/ N64 Rumble Pack and the Wii remote. Also thanks for the heads up on the shipping, it shipped today so guess I should be feeling the impact by next Friday. As long as it fits in my mailbox though...really dont like getting that pick up slip from USPS because my local post office seems to not be able to handle boxes with any skill whatsoever.

Btw who has to pay the customs charges? Kinda new to importing stuff from Playasia (usually just buy my import stuff off ebay or amazon from in-country places that may carry em).

MarkMan said:
If anyone is ordering off Play-Asia... When checking out, use these coupon codes:

- Code: RE-TAI-LAA ($5 off $50+ orders. Expires January 31, 2008. Can be used multiple times.)

- Code: RE-TAI-LAB ($10 oof $100+ orders. Expires January 31, 2008. Can be used multiple times.)

And if you're feeling nice... use my affiliate link.

I will be saving some money and giving you some affiliate lovin'.

Slavik81

Teknoman said:
Btw who has to pay the customs charges? Kinda new to importing stuff from Playasia (usually just buy my import stuff off ebay or amazon from in-country places that may carry em).
The receiver. You.

The customs charges are just the applicable sales taxes (PlayAsia didn't charge those from me when I ordered, so the shipping company had to) and a fee for taking it through customs. On something as cheap as $60, the fee's only $5... But beware of those fees if you're importing something worth a few hundred dollars. It scales with the value of the good. I once was slapped with an unexpected $60 broking fee on a $200 import.

Back when Lik-Sang was around, they'd vastly understate the value of the object you were importing to get around the fees. (or maybe they were just gouging and the custom's value they recorded was the original Japanese price. I don't know.)

Teknoman

Slavik81 said:
The receiver. You.

The customs charges are just the applicable sales taxes (PlayAsia didn't charge those from me when I ordered, so the shipping company had to) and a fee for taking it through customs. On something as cheap as $60, the fee's only $5... But beware of those fees if you're importing something worth a few hundred dollars. It scales with the value of the good. I once was slapped with an unexpected $60 broking fee on a $200 import.

Alright, well i'll be sure to check that out once it arrives. Dont want my checkbook to be off balance.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Slavik81 said:
I don't think Sixaxis is any less sturdy, they are both made of same material and feel like they have same build quality. Just because Sixaxis is lighter doesn't make it less sturdy - in fact, I bet DS3 would break easier if, say, you throw it to the ground - and it would happen because it's heavier.

I wish there was some physical way to have a controller that is as light as Sixaxis but have rumble as strong as DS3, but that's obviously just not possible :\

Aske

Marconelly said:
I don't think Sixaxis is any less sturdy, they are both made of same material and feel like they have same build quality. Just because Sixaxis is lighter doesn't make it less sturdy - in fact, I bet DS3 would break easier if, say, you throw it to the ground - and it would happen because it's heavier.

Have you tried gently twisting the sixaxis by gripping both its handles? It creaks and sounds like it might split. This is no longer the case with the DS3. Granted you won't be twisting the controller much during play, but I certainly noticed the creaking during Ninja Gaiden Sigma sessions. I didn't expect the sixaxis to break, but I much prefer the tight, solid feel of the DS3.

Also, those awesome trigger covers will eventually be available here:

http://gioteck.com/

The wait is killing me. The triggers are the only reason I would consider buying a multiplatform game on the 360, assuming performance isn't greatly inferior on the PS3. I might have to hold off on Dark Sector and Turok until I can buy a pair of these.

EDIT: The Nyko controller looks excellent, but I don't want to pay for backlit face buttons, an AA battery pack, or grips which attenuate heat. Still, if the triggers feel as good as the 360's pad and the rest of the inputs perform as well as or better than those of the sixaxis, I'd have bought one in a DS3less world. Hopefully combining the Gioteck triggers with the DS3 will be the simple fix I need. As a fan of the DS design, I'd rather not experiment with a pad that may not perform as well if I can help it.

Struct09

Mine showed up today (as posted earlier, it shipped out on 1/4). 12 days of waiting, but it's nice to have one :D

*puts some serious time into Uncharted*

Slavik81

Marconelly said:
Try twisting it. The Sixaxis shell will shift. The DualShock 3's shell will not. The Xbox 360 controller will not. The Gamecube controller will not.

But the Sixaxis will bend. It does so when I hold it from the side for Tekken. The DualShock 3 does not.

NeoUltima

B-Ri said:
form factor, trigger, and convex analog whiners:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/29490.html

and that should be the end of that.
I was looking to buy this but, no bluetooth= no buy. I don't want to have this thing
ZeroPS31.jpg
sticking out of my ps3 all the time.

For those with a DS3, are the joysticks tighter than on the sixaxis? The joysticks on my sixaxis are messed up due to the looseness. The sticks on my sixaxis don't seem to snap back into the center position like they should, instead they(particularly the right stick)lean to certain sides. In CoD4 for example, if I just let the sticks sit there, my reticle and character move slowly on their own.

bigswords

Fady K said:
I imported a black one recently and I was wondering - how can you guys put rumble in Assassin's Creed and Uncharted?

Uncharted has rumble since it was released. Not sure about Assassin's creed.

Top Bottom