• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Dual Shock 3 - Who's importing?

jacket320

Both of mine shipped today too (Jan 23). I'm regretting buying two black controllers. I wish I had gotten one of each. Ahh well, maybe someday down the line. I'll post an update when I've got my hands on them!

Teknoman

Hey those of you who used the cheapest shipping, did it arrive in a box or a bag with internal bubble wrap? Just wondering if they'll actually fit one into my mailbox, or i'll most likely have to go to the post office to pick it up.

n1n9tean

Banned
Can anyone here tell me whether I would be eligable for Sony's warranty if I import the Dual Shock 3 from Japan (I'm from U.S.)? I have a fear that the same thing might happen as with most other Sony controllers I've had where the analog sticks become "rusty" feeling and then it gets loose and starts drifting (and thats the most usual list of issues....I've had some other retarded shit happen with those analog sticks too). Sony seems to be the only option so I want to get SOMETHING. I just need to know if it will have a warranty.

Also, given that it would be covered, what would the process be like for an American to get serviced from SCEJ? Would I have to call a japanese language phone number? Actually, could I not just get it taken care of by SCEA (assuming the Dual Shock 3 is officially released by the time the sticks start giving me problems).

A side note: the fact that theres way too much wiggle room in the sticks' housing is the very root of all the problems with Sony analog sticks. Just try taking one with your thumb and index finger and pulling upward. (it'll lift up, I don't know, a half centemeter or something. never measured.) That shouldn't happen.

The "i hav gaht gudd grammer" edit: If you read this before and your brain started clicking and smoking because of the bad spelling, blame this wireless keyboard and the fact that I'm sitting a bit far away from the receiver. :lol

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Teknoman said:
Hey those of you who used the cheapest shipping, did it arrive in a box or a bag with internal bubble wrap? Just wondering if they'll actually fit one into my mailbox, or i'll most likely have to go to the post office to pick it up.
Bubble wrapped paper deal, should fit in your mail box.

dsmoke1986 said:
Really? Is this true??

Don't know what to tell you guys. Only reason I posted was I was so surprised to see people asking about the functionality. It was the first game I tried with the DS3 and it was rumbling away from the get go.

Mrbob

seaandthebells said:
Don't know what to tell you guys. Only reason I posted was I was so surprised to see people asking about the functionality. It was the first game I tried with the DS3 and it was rumbling away from the get go.

Oh rly? Odd.

I could have sworn from the official CoD4 thread the devs said there was no rumble support at all in the PS3 version.

Kyoufu

seaandthebells said:

Everyone (including devs) have said COD4 has no rumble support...

Vids or it didn't happen!

superfly said:

17.99 for a DS3 is awesome. Didn't know it was coming to europe in a week...?

I'm still going to import one though, ceramic white is where its at.

Slavik81

Teknoman said:
Well in that case hopefully mine should be arriving between today-friday. Mine shipped on the 16th (Air economy bubble). Im in Houston, Texas.

Was Air economy bubble supposed to take 5-10 days or 5-15 days?
5-10 BUISNESS days. That's means 5-14 days, depending on when it shipped.

Mine took 9 business days (13 total days).

Got my DS3 in today from PlayAsia. Only tried out GT5p demo and SSDHD so far, great use of rumble in the later, the added feedback actually helped my score I think.

Really like the tweaks they made to the triggers, they're a lot smoother and even seem to have increased range. Accelerating out of corners on GT felt great.

Analog sticks kinda concern me though. They're sorta "sticky" when pushing out of the deadzone. But when you're out of the deadzone its fine. Is this common on DS3s? Do they break in eventually?

Ashhong

seaandthebells said:
I have officially lost my mind. Fired up COD4 as soon as I got home from work and nope, no rumble.

My apologies for the momentary lapse in reason and accurate recall.

you got me all excited. =( oh well.

Baker

Banned
Mine was shipped on the 9th and finally showed up today. I had to use both hands and about 30 seconds of wiggling to get it out of the mailbox since it was just shoved right up in there.

Do you have to do anything to sync it to the PS3? I couldn't find any options, but it wouldn't do anything until I plugged it in with usb. Its probably just a combination of it being frozen and low battery.

Nightz

Baker said:
Mine was shipped on the 9th and finally showed up today. I had to use both hands and about 30 seconds of wiggling to get it out of the mailbox since it was just shoved right up in there.

Do you have to do anything to sync it to the PS3? I couldn't find any options, but it wouldn't do anything until I plugged it in with usb. Its probably just a combination of it being frozen and low battery.
Plugging it in to USB is the initial sync process.

Dez

i know this might be covered in this thread.. but i'll ask anyway: bluetooth dropouts - do they still occur with this controller and launch PS3s? i'm guessing so, but am hoping not!

Dez said:
i know this might be covered in this thread.. but i'll ask anyway: bluetooth dropouts - do they still occur with this controller and launch PS3s? i'm guessing so, but am hoping not!

I have a launch PS3 and I haven't had had any issues with the bluetooth since I got a DS3

Jim

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Really like the tweaks they made to the triggers, they're a lot smoother and even seem to have increased range. Accelerating out of corners on GT felt great.

Analog sticks kinda concern me though. They're sorta "sticky" when pushing out of the deadzone. But when you're out of the deadzone its fine. Is this common on DS3s? Do they break in eventually?

I know a few people have said the same thing. Mine was the same way. I "think" it has smoothed out mostly now, though it didn't bother me too much. I actually opened the thing up to see if there was anything to do to free it up a bit, which there wasn't. Don't do it, what a fucking pain to reassemble, the triggers especially.

Dez said:

Based on anecdotal info, the dropouts are fixed.

Slaylock

VenusandBacchus said:
I have a launch PS3 and I haven't had had any issues with the bluetooth since I got a DS3
I ordered a DS3 to get rumble, but the elimination of bluetooth dropouts will probably be my favorite improvement.

Maximus

Just got mine last night. I can't even describe how much better this is than the Sixaxis. The weight feels perfect, unlike the light cheap feeling on the SA.

Played some Uncharted and then Resistence (after dowloading the update). I know it sounds stupid, but rumble makes these games even better IMO.

Snah

Banned
Just got my DS3 in today.

And wow, I really love the feel of this controller. My main problem with the 360 pad is it feels too big and weighty and isn't an ideal fit for the button configuration.

DS3 just feels like the perfect size and weight.

Playing this with some of the games, it's not a huge difference for some (Ratchet, for instance, and even Uncharted).

But for others like Resistance, it's a world of difference. Playing with rumble really adds to the immersion of this game.

I also like that the DS3 has a 'tight' rumble, if that makes sense. The frequency seems pretty fast and nice, and my controller doesn't rattle or make noises whenever it's going off.

Rayne.S

Banned
allrighty, mine arrived yesterday as well. Nice white DS3, very very nice ( No more losing my black sixaxis in my black couch :p )

The rumble does feel tight and is actually a lot more powerfull then i expected it to be.

Any word on the battery life ?

Snah

Banned
mileS said:
only $61 to ship to canada? I was expecting more so I think I have to buy one now.

Yeah the prices really aren't bad at all...

Aren't SixAxis controllers like 50 bucks anyways?

I just said screw waiting and imported it.

Mrbob

My DS3 has shown up today. DMC4 plays extremely nicely with it. :D

Feels like a real controller again too.

Also, I like how sony lessened the resistance of the analog triggers with the DS3. Much easier to press and makes the controller more enjoyable to use.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
mine works perfectly fine, had t since begin of december, but when you play Folklore and shake the controller like a madman boy does it make noise, i was almost afraid id break the motors :lol

Rugasuki

I had my wife pick up a couple Dual Shock 3's for me while she was in Japan.

Pro's:
-More solid construction
-Less tight Triggers
-Easier to push L3 and R3 (the Analogue stick buttons)
-Bluetooth hasn't screwed up on me yet. (I bought them mainly because this is supposedly fixed on the Dual shock 3's).

Cons:
-Battery Life? (I don't know how it is yet)
-Weight. I kind of liked having ultra light controllers

Also, the plastic doesn't seem to be translucent anymore for anyone that cares.

White and black Dual Shock 3's feel identical in my hands.

Riddick

Tieno said:
Orded a beautiful white DS3 yesterday from yesasia. 40euros, which is less than a normal sixaxis costs here and probably way less than the eventual DS3 will be.

Picked a white one because it's purty and easy to differentiate from the black sixaxis.

Did the same on Tuesday (mine will be black). Your advice about Uncharted worked perfectly for this situation too so thanks again (used the coupon too so it's around 37 euros for me). Btw they shipped it the same day which means that it'll be here this week.

knitoe

_leech_ said:
Where should I order from, guys? Play Asia or Yes Asia?

Trying to get one for DMC 4. I ordered from Yes Asia for $60, but expected shipped out date is Feb 10 plus 5-9 days on free shipping to US. Sent cancel request.

Instead, ordered from Play Asia $55 (after -5 coupon) + $6.70 shipping. Supposely, they will ship out in Jan 29 + 5-14 days shipping.

Top Bottom