• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Dual Shock 3 - Who's importing?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Wildcat1080 said:
Why can't you all just admit it, not having rumble just straight up BLOWS and takes a ton of immersion out of gaming. :shrug:
While that's unquestionably true for games that have really good rumble support (like MGS games), I still think I'll stick with regular rumble-less controller for most games. It has a distinct advantage of being very light, which I happen to like a lot.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
anddo0 said:
Placed my order, got the white one!

Everyone's getting the white one. It's either going to look cool or horrible; I can't make up my mind based on the pictures. I'll take my chances.

Go whites!

xemumanic

If I hear confirmation it works on US system on backwards comp or something, and maybe a patched US game, then yeah. But that's unlikely. It probably works just fine, but I barely have any PS3 games, of course none with rumble, and most likely wont have any until MGS4. Plus I still have my PS2 hooked up.

But if somehow all this is confirmed to work (I have no doubt it will), I'll pick one up, but there's really no reason to anyway. So for me, no, but maybe in the off chance.

GQman2121

Banned
My local import store here in Baltimore is saying they're going to be charging between $70-80 when they come out.

I can live with that I guess if it means that I'll be able to land a pair of white ones.

theBishop

Banned
xemumanic said:
If I hear confirmation it works on US system on backwards comp or something, and maybe a patched US game, then yeah. But that's unlikely. It probably works just fine, but I barely have any PS3 games, of course none with rumble, and most likely wont have any until MGS4. Plus I still have my PS2 hooked up.

But if somehow all this is confirmed to work (I have no doubt it will), I'll pick one up, but there's really no reason to anyway. So for me, no, but maybe in the off chance.

Gamespy just confirmed Ratchet and Clank will rumble on the disc. Unfortunately, that comes out even before Japan gets the new controllers.

keyrat

I have two controllers now, will probably import a white one after it's released to see what the consensus is on it. Then I'll wait til the US release to pick up a 4th controller, in case they make any changes to that.

Just ordered the White DS3 from YesAsia, estimated to be with me 22nd November.
I know it's as much as a game, but i'm a sucker for new stuff.
And having it before my mates is even more of a reason.

bryehn

Was just about to complete my order at YesAsia, but $68 CAD plus tax, plus customs fees just ain't worth it for me. No one's even sure if games will work over here right away, or if they'll be patched at the time of DualShock 3's North American release.

mutsu

Sounds like from everyone that the white is more popular than the black.

andy_lhc said:
I still cannot get over the fact how the minute Playasia opens up the preorder for DS3, it got sold out in minutes......shows how many people are anticipating that controller....:lol

Shows how much people miss rumble and how ignorant for Sony to have left it out in the first place :lol

dfyb

Banned
mutsu said:
Shows how much people miss rumble and how ignorant for Sony to have left it out in the first place :lol
what part of pending lawsuit don't you people understand?

edit:

"This is a product with limited availability and our allocations have been presold. If you have preordered this item, your order has usually been confirmed. If you plan to purchase this item, please check back on the item's release date for possible restock."

fuck

Nightz

npm0925 said:
How much was play-asia charging for the white one (when it was available for preorder)?
AstroLad said:
I think it's $70 everywhere.
Play-Asia actually had it at $60. At least that's what I got it for. Now that I think about it, I wish I had gone for the white controller instead of black. Would've made it easier for me to distinguish which one rumbles.

npm0925

YesAsia has it for $65 if you use their $5-off coupon code: WGASIA5. Has anyone here dealt with this company in the past, though?

dfyb

Banned
npm0925 said:
YesAsia has it for $65 if you use their $5-off coupon code: WGASIA5. Has anyone here dealt with this company in the past, though?
thanks for the coupon code. ordered :D

xemumanic

theBishop said:
Gamespy just confirmed Ratchet and Clank will rumble on the disc. Unfortunately, that comes out even before Japan gets the new controllers.

Excellent, this is the way I can confirm it. I'm not planning on getting the game, but if import controllers rumble on this game and via BC, I'm buying one.

Jim

Screw it... for literally $10 more than the black DS3 is going to cost in the U.S. (after tax) whenever it hits, I'm getting the ceramic white DS3. Pre-ordered.

careful

$69 CAD pre-ordered from Yes-Asia (black).
It's only 10 bucks more than the Sixaxis at FutureShop/BestBuy.
And it's free shipping. Can't wait to get rumble with R&C.

I don't get it... okay, so it rumbles. Is it really worth importing that?

The way Sony is, it'll probably be out here in like a week. Sony has this amazing ability to announce new hardware about a week before it comes out in a certain country (like those 40gb PS3s. They were in the wild almost as soon as we knew about them!).

I can wait :p

JayDub

Well I got a question. Someone said they've been importing a lot because the PS3 is region free...

Is it possible to order the White PS3 from PlayAsia or YesAsia and have it work perfectly fine? Is there any downside to importing? Missing features, can't go online..etc?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
JayDub said:
Well I got a question. Someone said they've been importing a lot because the PS3 is region free...

Is it possible to order the White PS3 from PlayAsia or YesAsia and have it work perfectly fine? Is there any downside to importing? Missing features, can't go online..etc?

It don't matter if it's black or white.

1UP said:
That said, there doesn't seem to be any reason anxious gamers couldn't just purchase an imported controller. Otzman said she isn't "aware of anything that would prevent the hardware from being locked out," but warned that there could be software issues on a title-to-title basis and games that require retroactive patches (i.e. Warhawk, Resistance: Fall of Man) to enable rumble support will not necessarily be delivered prior to the official US launch next year.

Fair warning, but if you'd like to get your rumble on ahead of time, it seems you're in the clear.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
JayDub said:
So there won t be any problems importing the White PS3 to the US?

It's not anything I can guarantee, but it doesn't seem like there will be (and certainly black vs. white doesn't make a difference). I ordered a white one. I'm pretty confident in the PS3's jawsome region-freeness considering I've imported HSG5 JP (and play it online) and I'm importing PES 2008 as well.

bluheim said:
Where can I preorder a DS3 ?

mutsu said:
Re-posting for clarity :)

YesAsia now has them available for preorder.

Black version

White version

Play-Asia, as it stands, is already presold out! http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-zl-49-en-70-2act.html

YesAsia's one is a fairly good deal. They have a promotion right now when you purchase over US$50.00 you get a US$5.00 coupon for your next purchase. Free shipping too of course.

npm0925 said:

bluheim

Banned
Thanks. Preordered two DS3 (black and white). Now, it's time for me to proceed with my project to replace the analog sticks of the Sixaxis with custom ones inspired from the 360 sticks. If it works, I'll mod my future DS3 too.

xemumanic

The newest 1Up Show just confirmed Uncharted will work with the import controller, and it seems that game will be out before the pads (according to 1Up). Also, that tied to the fact that I now want the game (again due to 1Up), I'll be buying Uncharted and importing a Dual shock 3 first chance I get. I'm pretty sure BC will work on it. If not, I'd likely get one eventually anyway.

Top Bottom