• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Gamescom 2014 press conference confirmed for August 12

wmlk

Who ever said it was a JRPG?
I thought it was just a Sony Japan game?

My bad. I thought it said JRPG but definitely not.

But if nothing's lost in translation, then referring to FFXV as 'that one' is sort of significant. Why would he mention a multiplat that's been absent for over a year? Surely he means it's a JRPG and maybe even SE related.

Samyy

My bad. I thought it said JRPG but definitely not.

But if nothing's lost in translation, then referring to FFXV as 'that one' is sort of significant. Why would he mention a multiplat that's been absent for over a year? Surely he means it's a JRPG and maybe even SE related.

I think thats stretching it

Has Sony ever revealed anything big at GC? I can't recall off the top of my head
Their press conference last year was pretty big. Saw the PS4 UI for the first time, announced the launch date for the PS4, Rime, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, Shadow of the Beast were all announced for PS4 (I'm sure there were a few others I can't think of) they announced a few Vita games and a ps3 price drop if I remember correctly.

In a few years Gamescom will be bigger than E3. Plus it's arguably Sony's most important market going forward. I expect some nice announcements tomorrow.

Samyy

No man, you just gotta believe. I think it might be Dragon Quest XI and FFVII. Verendus said so. It all makes sense now.

I'm keeping my expectations low, then you end up pleasantly surprised.
If your too hyped going in you might be disappointed with a good conference!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Europe is as big or bigger a market for Sony as the us. I don't understand why people think it won't get a good show. Gamescom has been better than e3 each of the last two years IMO.

salromano

Has Sony ever revealed anything big at GC? I can't recall off the top of my head

• LittleBigPlanet Hub (PS3/PSN)
  • Borderlands 2 (PSV)
  • PS Vita $199 Price Cut
  • Murasaki Baby (PSV/PSN)
  • Rime (PS4/PSN)
  • Helldivers (PS4/PS3/PSV/PSN)
  • Shadow of the Beast (PS4/PSN)
  • Twitch Streaming (PS4)
  • PS4 UI Demonstration
  • PS4 Release Date + Price

• Cross-Buy Program (PS3/PSV)
  • Until Dawn (PS3/Move)
  • Rain (PS3/PSN)
  • Puppeteer (PS3)
  • Killzone: Mercenary (PSV)

• Resistance: Burning Skies (PSV)
  • Escape Plan (PSV/PSN)
  • inFAMOUS 2: Festival of Blood (PS3/PSN)
  • PS3 $249 Price Cut

• PS3 160GB and 320GB Models
  • Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One (PS3)
  • Resistance 3 (PS3)

• Borderlands 2 (PSV)
  • PS Vita $199 Price Cut
  • Rime (PS4/PSN)
  • Twitch Streaming (PS4)

• Cross-Buy Program (PS3/PSV)
  • Until Dawn (PS3/Move)
  • Rain (PS3/PSN)
  • Puppeteer (PS3)
  • Killzone: Mercenary (PSV)

• Resistance: Burning Skies (PSV)
  • Escape Plan (PSV/PSN)
  • inFAMOUS 2: Festival of Blood (PS3/PSN)
  • PS3 $249 Price Cut

• PS3 160GB and 320GB Models
  • Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One (PS3)
  • Resistance 3 (PS3)

Some noteable announcements there but no megatons. Temper your expectations GAF.

Who am I kidding, I can't hold back my own hype!

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Well it's finally the day.

Good to be on vacations. Sony you better deliver tomorrow.

Yeah, their first party situation (also exclusives) on PS4 is kinda of a wasteland so they really need to be firing on all cylinders. by comparison by August 2007 PS3 already got Folklore, RR7, Untold Legends, MotorStorm, F1 CE, Hot Shot Golf, NGS, Warhawk..ect while PS4 is seriously lacking, and after heir awful E3 conference Sony and their parents publishers really need deliver and show multiple new games.

Audioboxer

Why is FF7 being spoken about... lol.

Sadly working during the conference, will try to stay unspoiled and somehow find a link to the video when I get home.

Kyoufu

Europe is as big or bigger a market for Sony as the us. I don't understand why people think it won't get a good show. Gamescom has been better than e3 each of the last two years IMO.

I expect another good show tomorrow but it's going to have to be pretty great to beat E3. Powers aside, Sony really killed it with the games they showed.

viveks86

I'm so pumped for Rime! Really hope it turns out as exciting as the first reveal was.

If it was canceled they would have said so by now, it doesn't help them to keep dragging this saga on.
Enough insiders have said that its still alive.

But but but Y2Kev said...

Cess007

Grimløck;124885406 said:
don't worry

screenshot2014-08-11as2k5c.png

meftV0q.gif

Well played Shu, well played.

RK128

Wait...I just realized. That superspecialawesome JRPG that was shown behind closed doors...and those comments saying it's not 'that' FFXV. Is the guy seriously alluding to FFVII?

That would be ironic considering I'm just staring to play the original version XD!

Seriously though, I can see that happen; FFVII is very closely tied to Sony and Sony's name was even on the games box (not to mention Sony had "Sony Computer Entertainment" logo appear when the game opens), so they must find this game important.

I can see this being a 'huge' announcement and Sony helping Square out with this and putting some of the Studio Japan guys on the project is possible (Square DID promise a FF exclusive for the PS3 via Verses XIII...and that is now coming to both the X1 and PS4). Sony and Square working together to make this remake....that would be something that will sell PS4's in Japan :D.

Not to mention it would cement that FF is linked with Sony, something they are trying to do with a number of 3rd party games (like there 'partnership' with Activison and Bungie for Destiny), so getting Square on board makes sense :).

Before anyone says "but that will never happen!", this would be for the PS4....that is the system Sony only cares about and will get shit done to make it successful.....them netting a big exclusive like that would help make that happen. Put two and two together, not to mention all the rumors of a 'huge' internally developed JRPG coming from Sony, and the possibility of this is very likely :D.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I expect another good show tomorrow but it's going to have to be pretty great to beat E3. Powers aside, Sony really killed it with the games they showed.

Agreed. I'm not expecting megatons, just a solid show with a lot of cool games and actual gameplay footage.

Some noteable announcements there but no megatons. Temper your expectations GAF.

Who am I kidding, I can't hold back my own hype!

Those lists do show a trend though, with more and more stuff getting revealed/shown there each year.

If Sony at Gamescom continues the same trend, tomorrow's event should be pretty awesome. Anyway maybe I'm getting too carried away...

RK128

I will agree with that :); in terms of there PS4 showing, they did a solid job with many surprise announcements and flat out unexpected games coming (who would have thought Grim Fandago of all games was coming back :D!). While I was pissed at there lack of Vita support during the show.....that is sadly expected at this point, which was why I found the show to be lacking :l.

I expect GamesCom to be really awesome though; even if they just show the same stuff like E3, being able to see Ratchet and Clank PS4 running will be more then enough for me :D.

• Borderlands 2 (PSV)
  • PS Vita $199 Price Cut
  • Rime (PS4/PSN)
  • Twitch Streaming (PS4)
Don't forget that the first live demonstration of the PS4 UI opened Sony's conference last year too, plus the release date unveil. That's pretty big.

Hyunashi

Well it's finally the day.

Yeah, their first party situation (also exclusives) on PS4 is kinda of a wasteland so they really need to be firing on all cylinders. by comparison by August 2007 PS3 already got Folklore, RR7, Untold Legends, MotorStorm, F1 CE, Hot Shot Golf, NGS, Warhawk..ect while PS4 is seriously lacking, and after heir awful E3 conference Sony and their parents publishers really need deliver and show multiple new games.

They don't need to firing on all cylinders, they are comfortably winning the sales war. It only seems like exclusives are a wasteland because they don't need to divulge everything like MS or Nintendo. But while this is what I think, I also do hope we get more stuff from the first party (GG/MM new ip PLS).

If the conference is like last years, I'd be happy with that. But people tend to have unreasonable expectations so I expect some whining tomorrow.

viveks86

Last year, yeah, Gamescom had more announcements but E3 wasn't about as games as much as it was kicking Microsoft in the butt.

True…

Is Until Down going to be the biggest surprise in Sony conference? All those Sony teasers suggest that.

How is it the biggest "surprise" if it's already on their list of playable games and is being relentlessly teased? I wouldn't be shocked if they start the conference with it.

Primeau31

Is Until Down going to be the biggest surprise in Sony conference? All those Sony teasers suggest that.

you've called it Until Down in like 3 threads. its Until Dawn. refuse to see what the problem is if it is their biggest surprise BTW. you seem down on a game you know nothing about.

Salex_

err...what? Why would they create teasers for all of the games their going to announce? Or rather, what could be the biggest surprise? The teasers for a game we already saw a trailer for 2 years ago suggests that they're confident in it's current state and people may be surprised by the changes.

The God

That would be ironic considering I'm just staring to play the original version XD!

Seriously though, I can see that happen; FFVII is very closely tied to Sony and Sony's name was even on the games box (not to mention Sony had "Sony Computer Entertainment" logo appear when the game opens), so they must find this game important.

I can see this being a 'huge' announcement and Sony helping Square out with this and putting some of the Studio Japan guys on the project is possible (Square DID promise a FF exclusive for the PS3 via Verses XIII...and that is now coming to both the X1 and PS4). Sony and Square working together to make this remake....that would be something that will sell PS4's in Japan :D.

Not to mention it would cement that FF is linked with Sony, something they are trying to do with a number of 3rd party games (like there 'partnership' with Activison and Bungie for Destiny), so getting Square on board makes sense :).

Before anyone says "but that will never happen!", this would be for the PS4....that is the system Sony only cares about and will get shit done to make it successful.....them netting a big exclusive like that would help make that happen. Put two and two together, not to mention all the rumors of a 'huge' internally developed JRPG coming from Sony, and the possibility of this is very likely :D.

I think a user in here clarified that Verendus said a FFVII remake wouldn't be exclusive(?). I'll try to find the page.

todd360

gotta get up at 8am for microsofts conference

the struggle :'(

I have to wake up at 7 am tomorrow to let the people my dad hired to install an air conditioner in. So I will watch it. I probably wouldn't have bothered waking up to watch Microsoft's show if I didn't already need to be up.

Wonder if we'll hear any Deep Down news for a possible US release date, or a release date in general. Seems like things have been quiet for the game.

Varjis

E3 has changed in recent years..

Really I see the three big conferences like a nice dinner..

E3 is the appetizer.. promise of things to come..

Gamescon is the main course.. lots of substance..

TGS is the delicious dessert to close out the year.

wmlk

If drinking tears is your preference, then I suppose so.

Chobel

you've called it Until Down in like 3 threads. its Until Dawn. refuse to see what the problem is if it is their biggest surprise BTW. you seem down on a game you know nothing about.

OK, I fucked up...

True…

How is it the biggest "surprise" if it's already on their list of playable games and is being relentlessly teased? I wouldn't be shocked if they start the conference with it.

The surprise will be in "Horror reinvented" = gameplay.

Kyoufu

TGS last year felt more like indigestion than dessert.

Top Bottom