• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Interactive Entertainment launches the MENA Hero Project

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
MHP_Pattern_Blue_with-logo.jpg

Today, we are thrilled to announce the Middle East North Africa Hero Project (MENA Hero Project). The Hero Project incubator programs aim to identify promising local developers and support them in bringing compelling gaming experiences to global gaming communities. Through the MENA Hero Project we aim to drive growth and innovation with game developers in the MENA region.

As part of our evolving journey to ensure that PlayStation remains the best place to play, we’re committed to developing regional incubator programs capable of identifying new and diverse developers worldwide. The MENA Hero Project is fueled by this commitment and our belief in the MENA gaming market.
The MENA Hero Project will support game developers based in the following countries: Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Iraq, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Jordan, Egypt, Morocco, Tunisia.

Through mentorship, training, and project-based investment, SIE strives to lower the barrier of entry and showcase the most incredible talents emerging from this region. We’re pleased to announce this new initiative and our call for submissions.
Interested developers should apply to the program by reading the FAQ and applying here.

We warmly welcome new voices, ideas, and experiences from the MENA Game Development Community. Upon completing your submission, our team will reach out to you to confirm the next steps.

odhiex

This is cool. I hope that PlayStation will find this initiative a success and eventually bring this Hero Projects to other regions/countries. We need more game makers, ultimately leading to more good products in the market. Of course, there would also be failures and disappointment in some of those titles but hope that they make valuable time to learn from their mistakes and be better.

NanaMiku

This is cool. I hope that PlayStation will find this initiative a success and eventually bring this Hero Projects to other regions/countries. We need more game makers, ultimately leading to more good products in the market. Of course, there would also be failures and disappointment in some of those titles but hope that they make valuable time to learn from their mistakes and be better.
They already have success with China Hero Project.

I'm interested what kind of games MENA region will bring

Felessan

Banned
It's funny that they're investing everywhere but Japan.
Wait, did I say funny? I meant fucking bullshit.
And why should they?
Problem with Japan is not that it has underdeveloped market with no local representation in gaming.
There is more than enough accelerators and money, it's just Japan moved past and now 90% mobile that sometimes even hard to find people ready to develop classic games.

Tiago Rodrigues

Gold Member
They are investing in countries that don’t reject home consoles? Omg!!!

Anyway they are literally going to TGS, they have had plenty of exclusivity with Square Enix, most if not all big AAA games release on ps5, they have managed to tie big japanese IPs with PlayStation like Final Fantasy, Silent Hill, producers like Hideo Kojima. The first big Team Asobi project releases in 2 weeks and previews have been nothing short of phenomenal (and better than any game the old Sony Japan studio put if in like a decade at least), Gran Turismo 7 has been a huge return to form and will probably end up as the biggest game in the franchise.

edit: Also remembered of Rise of the Ronin.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Well gaming always been fairly limited. Worldwide was always USA, Japan, Europe in reality.

Sony now has 2 huge hits on PS5 with Stellar Blade and Black Myth Wukong, both products which aren't from these 3 areas and they have a dozen of projects on the horizon which might make similar impact. Its start to pay dividends.

nial

Great news for the MENA region dev scene! I hope the next hero project will be in SEA since there's a ton of talented indie devs in Indonesia, Philippines, Vietnam, etc.
Weird that Korea Hero Project hasn't happened yet, especially when SK is the one non-typical country that SIE has always showed more interest in (SCEK even produced their own games for a bit in the 2000's).

Felessan

Banned
Weird that Korea Hero Project hasn't happened yet, especially when SK is the one non-typical country that SIE has always showed more interest in (SCEK even produced their own games for a bit in the 2000's).
Playstation install base probably non-existent there.
SK share in SB sales were less than 3%. There are no incentive for Sony to make Hero project because their benefit will be mute

Sethbacca

Playstation install base probably non-existent there.
SK share in SB sales were less than 3%. There are no incentive for Sony to make Hero project because their benefit will be mute
Aren't Japan and Korea still pretty adversarial in a lot of trade areas? Samsung is the electronics king over there and from what I understand Japanese products just don't do well at all. So the lack of a Korea Hero Project makes sense based on what little I know.

Masterri

They are investing in countries that don’t reject home consoles? Omg!!!

Anyway they are literally going to TGS, they have had plenty of exclusivity with Square Enix, most if not all big AAA games release on ps5, they have managed to tie big japanese IPs with PlayStation like Final Fantasy, Silent Hill, producers like Hideo Kojima. The first big Team Asobi project releases in 2 weeks and previews have been nothing short of phenomenal (and better than any game the old Sony Japan studio put if in like a decade at least), Gran Turismo 7 has been a huge return to form and will probably end up as the biggest game in the franchise.

edit: Also remembered of Rise of the Ronin.
Astro and DS2 are gonna be great, no arguments there. But two games in the whole gen? It's clearly not enough.
Square's future games will be multiplatform, and even if you consider the timed exclusives released thus far, moneyhatting is not the kind of investment I'd wish to see from them.
I'm talking about creating new studios, reviving and/or licensing old IPs and so on.
No one is saying they shouldn't invest elsewhere, but do it also in the place PlayStation was born.

Also, Rise of the Ronin is mediocre and Bloober's raping of a cult classic is not even worth mentioning.

Last edited:
This is great news! I am sure great and original stuff will come out of this.

Astro and DS2 are gonna be great, no arguments there. But two games in the whole gen? It's clearly not enough.
Square's future games will be multiplatform, and even if you consider the timed exclusives released thus far, moneyhatting is not the kind of investment I'd wish to see from them.
I'm talking about creating new studios, reviving and/or licensing old IPs and so on.
No one is saying they shouldn't invest elsewhere, but do it also in the place PlayStation was born.

Also, Rise of the Ronin is mediocre and Bloober's raping of a cult classic is not even worth mentioning.
Mostly agree with you except Rise of the Ronin. Is it really mediocre?

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

The China Hero Project and the Korean initiative (the also have the India Hero project) already covers that.

iamvin22

Industry Verified

Blame Japan. They left the Aa and Aaa market. Sony did and tried everything to cater to the Japanese region. When they realized the region had no interest they moved on and here we are now with China hero and now Mena.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
“One of the things that I am proud about there is that we kind-of pushed the envelope. We opened up markets that had never had any gaming culture ever. Middle East...people had never played games before PlayStation in the Middle East.”

tzKsk591kF_a8dm2JlwdWKvH8F7D4zXDql44oo-HAJ4.jpg

BlackTron

Real inclusivity that is actually a good thing for broader ideas in gaming opposed to the badge-hunting variety we usually get.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Nice to see investment in countries that might have something interesting to offer in the future.

//DEVIL//

All I remember is we got the tiger pie or whatever that crap was from that region

As well as Arabian uncharted knock off garbage too that not sure if it was released even . Dude looked like he has cancer and aids.

And we got an anime ufo grendizer that is shit compared to the original .

My hope for this for me is in negative

Felessan

Banned
Aren't Japan and Korea still pretty adversarial in a lot of trade areas? Samsung is the electronics king over there and from what I understand Japanese products just don't do well at all. So the lack of a Korea Hero Project makes sense based on what little I know.
Japan and Korea adversities kinda minor compared to what adversity Japan and China have. Still didn't stop China Hero project. It's just business.

tmlDan

Blows my mind that MS wasn't the first to do this, Nintendo should too.

Keep doing it, there are a ton of regions who don't get the financial support to start something

Woopah

They type of investments they are doing in Japan make sense.

A "Japan Hero Project" does not.

Unfortunately, Japan doesn't appreciate AAA games anymore. They are way too much into mobile and F2P bullshit now.
Blame Japan. They left the Aa and Aaa market. Sony did and tried everything to cater to the Japanese region. When they realized the region had no interest they moved on and here we are now with China hero and now Mena.
This is not true. Yes mobile is big, but tradional gaming is also big.

vivftp

Astro's Playroom
Gran Turismo 7
Astro Bot
Death Stranding 2 On The Beach
Demons Souls for PS5 was also a thing, even if it wasn't a Japanese studio who did it
Physint has also been announced, we just don't know if it'll land this gen or next.

Chances are that GT8 will drop before the end of this gen based off their average release cycle. Chances are good that Sony will partner with From Software on another XDEV project. It's also highly probable that Team Asobi will have another game out before the end of this gen.

Then they're pumping tons of money into Japanese studios to secure exclusive windows on games like FF7 Remake/Rebirth and will no doubt have console exclusivity on the third game too. Plus FF16, Foamstars and Forspoken. Then also investing more money into Capcom for VR exclusive modes of RE8 and RE4 Remake.

Your casual dismissals of Rise of the Ronin and SH2 remake just tell us your argument is shit to begin with.

Additionally they're expanding some of their Japanese IP via transmedia projects. GT had a movie. Gravity Rush is getting a movie. Death Stranding is getting a movie, even if it's not via PS Productions, it's still a Sony IP.

Saying that they're not investing money into Japanese studios and IP is flat out wrong and ignorant.

Sethbacca

Japan and Korea adversities kinda minor compared to what adversity Japan and China have. Still didn't stop China Hero project. It's just business.
Fair enough point I suppose. I just was operating under the assumption that China has enough population to make it worthwhile.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
TL/DR:
I appreciate that the article focused on HOW/WHY they are engaging with these developers rather than leaning on social/political rhetoric that has inundated the industry over the last 5 years (or more).

Hats off to them for presenting this program as a way to drive new games into the global market without ramming "the message" down everyone's throat.
They used the term "diverse" exactly ONE time in the marketing release.

By the nature of the program they are fostering new game experiences simply by helping teams in those regions develop and release their titles.
We (the audience) understand that the titles are being created by teams from those countries and the content coming from those areas will (hopefully) be fresh and reflective of the cultures that made them.

Tiago Rodrigues

Gold Member

What do you mean 2 games? Sony has plenty of deals through the gen in there. The next Monster Hunter is clearly being pushed by them in Japan. Most Capcom games as well. Same for most Square-Enix games. These are some of the biggest japanese publishers.

About creating new studios...why would they create more studios in a country that literally rejects home consoles (Switch would be nowhere near where it is without a portable component) and in a time that all publishers are imploding and firing people? (and Sony is about to have a huge flop from a newly acquired studio as well and Naughty Dog spent 4 years making a now cancelled game)

Japan has basically shifted in terms of consoles and consumer's habits over the past 20 years. And Sony can waste all the millions they want but it won't change anything.

The best they can do is what they are doing already: Bet on Japanese IP's tied to the Playstation brand like Resident Evil which they have marketing rights usually, Silent Hill that's timed exclusive, Street Fighter etc...while maintaining their already functioning studios like Polyphony Digital, Team Asobi (that is literally a new studio about to drop their first full game) and their Japanese xDev division that is responsible for games like Rise of the Ronin (and Stellar Blade that even if it's not Japanese it was a moderate hit there).

About "2 games in a gen"...it's literally been 50% of this gen. How do you know what xDev has been cooking? Do we know if Polyphony Digital is working on Gran Turismo 8?

Playstation consoles are doing their best in Japan and that is: Having all multiplayer games releasing there, multiple marketing rights from IP's recognitzed mostly as Playstation games, and the few functioning studios that Sony have from there have been pumping out amazing games (GT7, Astrobot seems GOTY material as well). As if this wasn't enough the first showcase in person Sony is about to have over the past 5 years (!!!) is literally Tokyo Game Show next month. This doesn't sound like a company that doesn't care about Japan.

That said we really should stop the nostalgic feelings and saying they should do some sort of miracle in a market that rejects them because "it's where they were born". Makes no sense.

edit: Perfect timing, just saw this tweet:

Sony ain't sleeping regarding Japan guys. I wouldn't be surprised if a PS5 + Monster Hunter bundle was int he works.

Last edited:

yurinka

Bullshit.

They have several internal studios in Japan (Polyphony, Asobi, XDEV Japan, Lasengle, Aniplex etc) plus several 2nd party games (like Rise of the Ronin, Death Stranding 2, Physint...), many 3rd party console exclusives of different types with AAA, AA or indie teams (FF, Granblue Fantasy Relink, RE games in PSVR2, no SF6 and RE4R on XBO, Silent Hill, Guilty Gear Strive, DNF Duel, Granblue Fantasy Versus: Rising, Humanity...), marketing deals with many Japanese multiplatform games from companies like Capcom or Bandai Namco, investments and strategic deals with companies like FromSoft/Kadokawa/CyGames, Koei Tecmo/Akatsuki etc. not only for console, but also for a future expansion in mobile gaming.

That's a huge investment compared to support around a few indies from MENA.

Last edited:

Tiago Rodrigues

Gold Member
Bullshit.

They have several internal studios in Japan (Polyphony, Asobi, XDEV Japan, Lasengle, Aniplex etc) plus several 2nd party games (like Rise of the Ronin, Death Stranding 2, Physint...), many 3rd party console exclusives of different types with AAA, AA or indie teams, investments and strategic deals with companies like FromSoft/Kadokawa/CyGames, Koei Tecmo/Akatsuki not only for console, but also to expand in mobile.

That's a huge investment compared to support around a few indies from MENA.
My post above forgot to mention everyontg in bold. Thanks. Sony literally owns 14% of the Kadokawa group. That alone is a bigger investment than wnatever this is.

yurinka

If you wonder why Sony makes these efforts to grow in China, Korea, India or MENA, it is because even if these markets for console are relatively small, they are the fastest growing regions in total (mobile+PC+console) gaming revenue and userbase. Make sure LATAM Hero Project will be the next one:
Global-games-market-revenues-in-2024-by-region.png

image.png

My post above forgot to mention everyontg in bold. Thanks. Sony literally owns 14% of the Kadokawa group. That alone is a bigger investment than wnatever this is.
You're welcome.

Let's say that in the first batch they invest on average around $100K in maybe around 10 indie games from the MENA region. That would be around $1M. This is nothing for them. Things like getting a marketing deal for RE or MH Wilds cost them much more.

Last edited:

Masterri

Astro's Playroom
Gran Turismo 7
Astro Bot
Death Stranding 2 On The Beach
Demons Souls for PS5 was also a thing, even if it wasn't a Japanese studio who did it
Physint has also been announced, we just don't know if it'll land this gen or next.

Chances are that GT8 will drop before the end of this gen based off their average release cycle. Chances are good that Sony will partner with From Software on another XDEV project. It's also highly probable that Team Asobi will have another game out before the end of this gen.

Then they're pumping tons of money into Japanese studios to secure exclusive windows on games like FF7 Remake/Rebirth and will no doubt have console exclusivity on the third game too. Plus FF16, Foamstars and Forspoken. Then also investing more money into Capcom for VR exclusive modes of RE8 and RE4 Remake.

Your casual dismissals of Rise of the Ronin and SH2 remake just tell us your argument is shit to begin with.

Additionally they're expanding some of their Japanese IP via transmedia projects. GT had a movie. Gravity Rush is getting a movie. Death Stranding is getting a movie, even if it's not via PS Productions, it's still a Sony IP.

Saying that they're not investing money into Japanese studios and IP is flat out wrong and ignorant.
Astro's Playroom is a demo, come on now. A very good one, but a demo nonetheless.
I don't care about racing games, but that's on me I guess.
Demon's Souls is made by Bluepoint, a Texan company. I could also comment on the quality of the remake, but that's another matter.
Physint is years away, likely a PS6 game.
"Chances", "it's highly probable" and other assumptions don't mean much, sorry.
We may not agree on Rise, and that's fine. But if you think Silent Hill 2 is gonna turn out good or even decent, I have news for you. Bloober is LJN tier.
Besides, it's a moneyhatted timed exclusive. Not the kind of investment I want, as I said.
And Forspoken? Really? Jesus.

What do you mean 2 games? Sony has plenty of deals through the gen in there. The next Monster Hunter is clearly being pushed by them in Japan. Most Capcom games as well. Same for most Square-Enix games. These are some of the biggest japanese publishers.

About creating new studios...why would they create more studios in a country that literally rejects home consoles (Switch would be nowhere near where it is without a portable component) and in a time that all publishers are imploding and firing people? (and Sony is about to have a huge flop from a newly acquired studio as well and Naughty Dog spent 4 years making a now cancelled game)

Japan has basically shifted in terms of consoles and consumer's habits over the past 20 years. And Sony can waste all the millions they want but it won't change anything.

The best they can do is what they are doing already: Bet on Japanese IP's tied to the Playstation brand like Resident Evil which they have marketing rights usually, Silent Hill that's timed exclusive, Street Fighter etc...while maintaining their already functioning studios like Polyphony Digital, Team Asobi (that is literally a new studio about to drop their first full game) and their Japanese xDev division that is responsible for games like Rise of the Ronin (and Stellar Blade that even if it's not Japanese it was a moderate hit there).

About "2 games in a gen"...it's literally been 50% of this gen. How do you know what xDev has been cooking? Do we know if Polyphony Digital is working on Gran Turismo 8?

Playstation consoles are doing their best in Japan and that is: Having all multiplayer games releasing there, multiple marketing rights from IP's recognitzed mostly as Playstation games, and the few functioning studios that Sony have from there have been pumping out amazing games (GT7, Astrobot seems GOTY material as well). As if this wasn't enough the first showcase in person Sony is about to have over the past 5 years (!!!) is literally Tokyo Game Show next month. This doesn't sound like a company that doesn't care about Japan.

That said we really should stop the nostalgic feelings and saying they should do some sort of miracle in a market that rejects them because "it's where they were born". Makes no sense.

So let me get this straight: they can literally waste billions on GaaS studios but opening new studios in Japan is taboo? They don't even need to cater to the home market, the appeal of Japanese games is much wider than that.
And the layoffs are happening in the West for the most part, so I don't know why you brought that up.

Can't wait to play some Bollywood inspired action games where your MC powerslides his horse under a speeding train, reloading a shotgun in mid-air while smoking a fat cigar!

Fuck yeah!!!

Last edited:

CamHostage

It'd be nice to see Sony sign more projects from Japanese development houses, but that isn't what Hero Project is.

This is an incubation and cultural expansion project. As stated in a recent release about the China Hero project, "It has helped facilitate the development of original high-quality games that are made and created in China as well as accelerate the spotlight that is growing on Chinese games in the global gaming market." That's the goal of each Hero Project.

(It also isn't an initiative to get PlayStation exclusives. Only two of the games out of the Hero Project phases have been signed to be published by Sony, and in fact a good percentage of the HP games have even made it eventually to Switch and Xbox.)

Last edited:

vivftp

Astro's Playroom is a demo, come on now. A very good one, but a demo nonetheless.
I don't care about racing games, but that's on me I guess.
Demon's Souls is made by Bluepoint, a Texan company. I could also comment on the quality of the remake, but that's another matter.
Physint is years away, likely a PS6 game.
"Chances", "it's highly probable" and other assumptions don't mean much, sorry.
We may not agree on Rise, and that's fine. But if you think Silent Hill 2 is gonna turn out good or even decent, I have news for you. Bloober is LJN tier.
Besides, it's a moneyhatted timed exclusive. Not the kind of investment I want, as I said.
And Forspoken? Really? Jesus.

- Astro's Playroom is a pack-in game. It's also meant to demo the features of the DualSense, but it's a full fledged game nonetheless. How many other games are sold every week that don't have the amount of gameplay that Playroom had? Do those not count as games? Now for comparison, something like The Matrix Awakens, that's a straight up demo.

- Yes, your own personal likes and dislikes are not of any relevance when discussing SIEs investment into Japan.

- Regarding Demon's Souls and Bluepoint, you mentioned "reviving and/or licensing old IPs". It's an old IP from a Japanese studio and they revived it.

- I noted that Physint was coming out later. It's still an example of investment into the Japanese gaming ecosystem

- "chances" are educated guesses based off of precedence and time table of previous releases. We have enough reasons to believe that the examples I provided will happen before the end of this gen.

- Again, your personal preferences mean nothing at all when it comes to discussing Rise of the Ronin and Silent Hill, they're examples of Sony dumping money and resources into the Japanese gaming scene

- Yes Forspoken. Do you think it only counts if the game winds up being a 20+ million seller? An investment into Japanese gaming is an investment into Japanese gaming, small and big. Successful and unsuccessful. You really need to learn to separate your own personal tastes from the subject at hand because it's clouding your view of things and shitting up the thread.

Masterri

- Astro's Playroom is a pack-in game. It's also meant to demo the features of the DualSense, but it's a full fledged game nonetheless. How many other games are sold every week that don't have the amount of gameplay that Playroom had? Do those not count as games? Now for comparison, something like The Matrix Awakens, that's a straight up demo.

- Yes, your own personal likes and dislikes are not of any relevance when discussing SIEs investment into Japan.

- Regarding Demon's Souls and Bluepoint, you mentioned "reviving and/or licensing old IPs". It's an old IP from a Japanese studio and they revived it.

- I noted that Physint was coming out later. It's still an example of investment into the Japanese gaming ecosystem

- "chances" are educated guesses based off of precedence and time table of previous releases. We have enough reasons to believe that the examples I provided will happen before the end of this gen.

- Again, your personal preferences mean nothing at all when it comes to discussing Rise of the Ronin and Silent Hill, they're examples of Sony dumping money and resources into the Japanese gaming scene

- Yes Forspoken. Do you think it only counts if the game winds up being a 20+ million seller? An investment into Japanese gaming is an investment into Japanese gaming, small and big. Successful and unsuccessful. You really need to learn to separate your own personal tastes from the subject at hand because it's clouding your view of things and shitting up the thread.
Yes, it's a free demo that can be finished in 30 minutes or even less. A small taste of what Astrobot (2024) will be.
American adaptations don't count. That's why I didn't even bother quoting you about the "transmedia" projects. Other than the fact that they're not video games, obviously.
Again, educated guesses mean little. If and when they announce a new From partnership I'll gladly eat crows, hats and so forth.
Moneyhatting has no merit.
Forspoken is a turd. That's what I meant. I couldn't care less about how much it sold.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Yes, it's a free demo that can be finished in 30 minutes or even less. A small taste of what Astrobot (2024) will be.
American adaptations don't count. That's why I didn't even bother quoting you about the "transmedia" projects. Other than the fact that they're not video games, obviously.
Again, educated guesses mean little. If and when they announce a new From partnership I'll gladly eat crows, hats and so forth.
Moneyhatting has no merit.
Forspoken is a turd. That's what I meant. I couldn't care less about how much it sold.
30 minutes?

K9Yg7SQ.jpeg

CamHostage

Excellent to see another arm of the Hero Project grow. It'll be interesting to see what MENA's first phase of games will be.

India Hero Project has so far signed smaller-scale games than typically seen in CHP (a handful of the first 5 are 2D platformers,) but that might be the director interest level or staffer skill sphere, it may not be specifically related to budget or cred. (CHP has the benefit of investing in a territory where lots of skilled laborers came up in schools and workhouses for subcontracting to known developers, and now some of those gruntwork developers are ready to take on their own titles. India has similar shops, but I'm not sure that enough of a financial investment in these territories has been able to bolster the community at the same capacity of CHP. Indian game developers are there, but I imagine it's a tougher business to build?)

MENA might start slow too, or it may benefit from some of the expansion effort Epic has made in the territory (as well as the potential of additional investor involvement, as we have already seen some ME high rollers looking at games rather than other entertainment forms to diversify their portfolio.)

CamHostage

I wouldn't be surprised if they already reached out to South America already 😉

Anybody remember the early PSN game Papo y Yo?

That game was technically made in Montreal, (I always thought it was a South American team since it was set in Brazil; the creator is Colombian but got his start at EA Canada,) but it was created with Pub Fund, a Sony initiative at the time to fund small, unique studio projects. That's a game I often think about when I think of the Hero Project quest to expand gaming beyond the typical territories.

capsule_616x353.jpg

Also, on the topic of "not what we're talking about, but...", Sony made at least one very early exclusive outside of the major territories when it published Ra.One in Indian territories. This was a tie-in game to a movie about a fictional videogame superhero (circular, circular) made by a studio called Trine (I assume based in India? I see no other credits and searching "Trine" gets backstopped by the Trine game franchise) for PS2 and PS3.

(Was there not also a Chinese-made Monkey King game for PS2 or PS3? I know there was Monkey King: Hero is Back for PS4, but that was by HexaDrive and by that point was generally available across Asia where PSN served and that movie was released.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom