• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is screwed this holiday season

LOL. Like the alarmist title? :D

Anyway, looking at the UK sales soar for the XBox, which appears to be at some part because of a shortage of PS2's. So, if there's a shortage in the US & the UK, it stands to reason, that Japan is similarly short.

That means that inventory worldwide is extremely low. So, for the holidays Sony will have to ship in the next ~2 weeks, multiple millions of systems. At least 3-4 million in the US alone to cover demand. Similar numbers in Europe and somewhat lower in Japan.

However, Sony at it's height was only able to produce 3 million units in a month and they've got half that time. Unless Sony has a large stockpile of PS2's ready to go for all regions, there are going to be significant shortages worldwide.

My question is: WTF were they thinking? They had to know this and they've only had a freakin shortage for the past 4 months, since mid-June. Somebody, or lots of somebodies need to get fired over this.

I don't think they're worried. The lack of the PS2 builds demand for it, they'll release the remodeled version and it'll sell through the roof.

SolidSnakex said:
I don't think they're worried. The lack of the PS2 builds demand for it, they'll release the remodeled version and it'll sell through the roof.

Did you actually read my post?

Teddman

I tend to think that the whole "PS2 shortage" is being overrated as a factor for the declining sales during the last couple months. Anyone who wants one can find one, they're not really that scarce.

As far as the holidays go, I'm sure a deluge of the remodeled PS2 will be ready to hit shelves.

AirBrian

I'm sure they're stockpiling PSTwos. I bet we'll see tons in the stores starting in about two weeks. There's no way Sony will drop the ball with their 3 biggest franchises coming out this fall.

Midas

It's interesting that MS wanna get Xbox 2 out on the market when Xbox finally is starting to sell good.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Well, let's look at it this way... regarding chip production.

Before: one plant produced CPUs and one plant the GPUs.

Meet the EE+GS@90 nm and now those two fabs produce a CPU+GPU each doubling the chips' output.

I think Sony's production output with PSTwo will increase.

snapty00 said:
Damage Control...Before It Happens!™

I knew some 'tard would come in here and claim damage control. Thanks. If we could please drop the fancrap and just discuss the topic?

I am, in no way, discrediting the amazing strides the the Xbox has made, but it has been confirmed by analysts and retailers that there is a shortage and has been for some time. If you personally don't believe it, that's your perogative. PS2 has already won this generation by a huge fucking margin, so I'm not afraid that Microsoft is going to take them over and I recognize that Microsoft is going to be a serious challenger to Sony next gen and I believe that they have a decent chance at taking the throne, so cut the crap.

My question is legitimate:

Will there be enough PS2 for the holidays? Has Sony been stockpiling the new systems for the holidays to the detriment of hardware sales for the past several months, or did they just time this pretty badly?

Porthos said:
That's funny... I thought Sony was the one that invented the console "shortage".

Um ... no! You are wrong.

Did you somehow miss every pre-GC hardware launch and almost any cartridge-era major software launch? Nintendo are masters of unavailability.

Link316

Banned
this really isn't a shortage in that they couldn't produce enough product to meet demand, they're just trying to phase out an old model so they probably knew this was gonna happen because its intentional

Sony hasn't been manufacturing PS2s so they've probably been manufacturing & stockpiling PSTwos in the past couple of months in preparation for the holidays

PhatSaqs

Banned
Speaking of shortages, I have a funny feeling Rockstar is gonna run a controlled shortage for GTA:SA. The lack of hype for this game is just weird. No preorder PRs, no shipping number PRs, etc.?

PhatSaqs said:
Speaking of shortages, I have a funny feeling Rockstar is gonna run a controlled shortage for GTA:SA. The lack of hype for this game is just weird. No preorder PRs, no shipping number PRs, etc.?

They already announced the shipping number...

4.5million on the first day.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
sonycowboy said:
I knew some 'tard would come in here and claim damage control. Thanks. If we could please drop the fancrap and just discuss the topic?

Dude, you named yourself "sonycowboy." What did you expect?

Kseutron

sonycowboy said:
LOL. Like the alarmist title? :D

Anyway, looking at the UK sales soar for the XBox, which appears to be at some part because of a shortage of PS2's. So, if there's a shortage in the US & the UK, it stands to reason, that Japan is similarly short.

That means that inventory worldwide is extremely low. So, for the holidays Sony will have to ship in the next ~2 weeks, multiple millions of systems. At least 3-4 million in the US alone to cover demand. Similar numbers in Europe and somewhat lower in Japan.

However, Sony at it's height was only able to produce 3 million units in a month and they've got half that time. Unless Sony has a large stockpile of PS2's ready to go for all regions, there are going to be significant shortages worldwide.

My question is: WTF were they thinking? They had to know this and they've only had a freakin shortage for the past 4 months, since mid-June. Somebody, or lots of somebodies need to get fired over this.

US : PStwo + GTA SA

Japan : PStwo + DQ8

Game over, Sony wins

lunlunqq

Link316 said:
this really isn't a shortage in that they couldn't produce enough product to meet demand, they're just trying to phase out an old model so they probably knew this was gonna happen because its intentional

Sony hasn't been manufacturing PS2s so they've probably been manufacturing & stockpiling PSTwos in the past couple of months in preparation for the holidays

Agree.

And remeber a European game magazine editor who posted a lot of PSTwo pictures here mentioned that actually Sony showed the insiders the prototype PSTwos back at E3 time? If that's true, then they could have started producing PSTwo long time ago.

Midas

lunlunqq said:
Agree.

And remeber a European game magazine editor who posted a lot of PSTwo pictures here mentioned that actually Sony showed the insiders the prototype PSTwos back at E3 time? If that's true, then they could have started producing PSTwo long time ago.

Yeah, B E N K E said that.

Miburou

Maybe Sony has been manufacturing PStwos for a couple of months now? That would explain why the official launch is Novemeber 1st eventhough some stores get theirs a couple of weeks earlier.

unkasa

Banned
snapty00 said:
Damage Control...Before It Happens!?

Why would one need to perform damage control? PS2 is still outpacing its competitors by a healthy margin; it has the greatest number of exclusives arriving in the coming months, one of which is the most wanted game this this holiday; and its games still dominate the charts.

No damage control needed.

Subitai

sonycowboy said:

I am, in no way, discrediting the amazing strides the the Xbox has made, but it has been confirmed by analysts and retailers that there is a shortage and has been for some time. If you personally don't believe it, that's your perogative. PS2 has already won this generation by a huge fucking margin, so I'm not afraid that Microsoft is going to take them over and I recognize that Microsoft is going to be a serious challenger to Sony next gen and I believe that they have a decent chance at taking the throne, so cut the crap.

My question is legitimate:

Will there be enough PS2 for the holidays? Has Sony been stockpiling the new systems for the holidays to the detriment of hardware sales for the past several months, or did they just time this pretty badly?
I remember hearing a rep at E3 in some GS E3 coverage say that they planned to ship 14 million in the US alone for the year (more at the time than XBX & GCN had sold together), so this supply problem really surprises me if it is as bad as you think it could be.

snapty00

Banned
unkasa said:
Why would one need to perform damage control? PS2 is still outpacing its competitors by a healthy margin; it has the greatest number of exclusives arriving in the coming months, one of which is the most wanted game this this holiday; and its games still dominate the charts.

No damage control needed.
Ask sonycowboy. It isn't like this is the first time he's run pre-emptive damage control.

B E N K E

What I know is that for a country like Sweden there is going to be limited numbers to start with. I would be very surprised if Sony haven't prepared for an onslaught eventhough I suspect they what a certain level of shortages so that it can generate some hype. "If you happen to see one, buy it!" It would be foolish to giveaway an advantage to Microsoft in december.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I havent seen any evidence of a PS2 shortage in the UK, every store ive been to has been selling them, its just people waiting for the new model. And surely the reason for the supposed shortage in the US is that they stopped making old models so they could get enough of the new ones out intime for the seasonal rush.

Top Bottom