• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Man. I don't remember those matches I played with Max. I must have been really sleepy/sick this weekend lol.

"Has more to do with hitting more international and cross country matches."

Not really, you'd see a low bar connection in those cases. Having 5 bar matches that play like ass has nothing to do with international/cross country matches.

sephi22

Ok final verdict before I rush out to buy this. Is the net code good? Like almost BlazBlue good?
Prerelease netcode is. Its way better than T6. My connection with US players in this game is better than my connection with them in SSFIV.

Hey, Created Characters don't have Brave edges, Critical Edges and Signature moves? What's the point then?

DasRaven

Ok final verdict before I rush out to buy this. Is the net code good? Like almost BlazBlue good?

There is no way to know this on day -1. Initial impressions are positive, but there's probably less than 100 people playing right now.

That said, the connection indicators seem pretty accurate and the Colloseo let's you focus on geographically near connections which increase the chance of a smooth 5-bar match.

A week from now, we'll know for sure.

Hey, Created Characters don't have Brave edges, Critical Edges and Signature moves? What's the point then?

If true, then this is the height of fail. WTF!?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Prerelease netcode is. Its way better than T6. My connection with US players in this game is better than my connection with them in SSFIV.

Wait what? Why not if they're transplanting all the moveset stuff anyways? WTF.

DR2K to call the game "rushed" in 3,2 ,...

dreamfall

Midnight release tonight- will have to main somebody new, but I'm ready. It'll probably be Pyrrha since Sophitia is gone, but I'm very excited!

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Guess Im going to blind side it then on the connection issue. Don't feel like waiting a week xD

Ive played less than 30 matches online. So far its been a solid experience. The game hasnt dropped any matches. Sketchy connections are sort of a toss up. A few were very playable and some kind of stuttered here and there. From my limited experience the average game is very playable.

sephi22

If true, then this is the height of fail. WTF!?
Wait what? Why not if they're transplanting all the moveset stuff anyways? WTF.

FALSE ALARM!!

Just checked for myself. They do. Read this on another forum. Should have checked myself before posting. Sorry for the scare.

Are all Critical Edge moves two scoops forward then ABK? I think God's Beard said Rapheal's is a shoryuken?
Haven't tried Raphael yet, but everyone else's (Pat/Pyr/Nightmare/Yoshi/Aeon) is double fireball.

DR2K

Banned

A rushed game is rushed forever regardless at the continued failed attempts at sarcasm. Can't believe I have to go to work on my day off tomorrow, was going to rush some asses down in SCV all day.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Are all Critical Edge moves two scoops forward then ABK? I think God's Beard said Rapheal's is a shoryuken?

It's a universal motion. When he mentioned the SRK, he just meant the uppercut-style motion Raphael performs.

Even the grapple style ones are double qcf's.

W00t! Just beat Legendary Souls mode with Mitsurugi in 27 minutes.

Edgemaster should have been the final boss, lol. I spent most of my time fighting (losing horribly) to him. He uses Patsuka's movelist exclusively and I can see why they dropped her. That movelist is so godlike they had to get it off of that insignificant character.

DR2K

Banned
W00t! Just beat Legendary Souls mode with Mitsurugi in 27 minutes.

Edgemaster should have been the final boss, lol. I spent most of my time fighting (losing horribly) to him. He uses Patsuka's movelist exclusively and I can see why they dropped her. That movelist is so godlike they had to get it off of that insignificant character.

Yeah that's why she and a handful of "insignificant" characters didn't make it in. It looks so cheap and out of place on a Greek/Roman character. She didn't make it in because they ran out of time and resources.

Yeah that's why she and a handful of "insignificant" characters didn't make it in. It looks so cheap and out of place on a Greek/Roman character. She didn't make it in because they ran out of time and resources.
Best Soulcalibur ever for people who buy fighting games to actually play them.

Seriously though, Daishi designed the Setsuka movelist and now it's on the most important character in the game. But sure, rushrushrush herpderp.

sephi22

Seriously though, Daishi designed the Setsuka movelist and now it's on the most important character in the game. But sure, rushrushrush herpderp.
This. I'm surprised by the amount of work put in online. You can set 3 players as rivals and it tracks their stats compared to yours.

DR2K

Banned

I've been playing SC casually since SC2, there's absolutely nothing in the world that should validate your opinion more than mine because you "actually play"(whatever that means) said fighting game. Or are you saying your $60+ is more valuable than mine?

He designed a female's katana umbrella blade animations on a male character that canonically uses his mother's fighting style. I want you to sit there and really ponder what you're saying for a minute. It's completely missing the style and flair that it originally had. Day 1 DLC Setsuka, the way that moveset was made to play.

Constructive criticism is hardly negativity. Like sex games will never get better if you just sit there and take it down your throat.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I've been playing SC casually since SC2, there's absolutely nothing in the world that should validate your opinion more than mine because you "actually play"(whatever that means) said fighting game. Or are you saying your $60+ is more valuable than mine?

My 60 dollars is more valuable to me than your 60 dollars which I will never see. Get it? :p

Btw any videos for the new girl with the orb? She interest me the most cause I love shiny balls... wait I don't mean like that. I mean set up and trap type characters.

...Or he could have learned battoujutsu from a Japanese person, or Setsuka even. Not like she's Japanese to begin with. XD

And not to burst anyone's bubble or anything, but with what happens in story mode with his character, he's likely going to end up using this style or a combo of this and his sword/shield style minus the shield exclusively in future titles should they come out, replacing Setsuka permanently. I like badass iaido Pat myself so it's fine by me.

I'm not down the DR2K negativity, but I think it's too early to declare this the best SC ever. We shall see in a few months :)
Not for me, haha. The other ones had some glaring things in regards to the system that felt "wrong" in some way or another almost immediately due to the fact that not as much care was given to the way systems interacted with each other.

Oh, plus patching.

For the folks who have it, what are your thoughts on the story mode? Any mention of Setsuka, Talim, Zasalamel or any other characters from past games? Is Viola really Amy? Is Yan Wujin really Leixia's father and not Kilik? Damn you higher ups if thats official. Kilik x Xianguha should have happened.

DR2K

Banned
For the folks who have it, what are your thoughts on the story mode? Any mention of Setsuka, Talim, Zasalamel or any other characters from past games? Is Viola really Amy? Is Yan Wujin really Leixia's father and not Kilik? Damn you higher ups if thats official. Kilik x Xianguha should have happened.

Is it soap opera bad?

Kilik/Xianghua
did happen. Xiba is their son.

I have been using Alpha Pat and mained Setsuka in 3 and 4, and it's just not the same. The moveset is great, but it really seems so out of place on Pat. Some good changes though with the moves, some others ehh not so great.

Pyrrha Omega is pretty damn sweet also. Overall I'm very happy with this game. Cannot wait to go home and play some more. Almost called in sick to work just so I could get some more game time. Need to practice Just Guards, and some of Patsuka's JF's.

Seems like the timing is stricter on agB, and 1AAA, or I could be rusty, which is probably the case, though 3B, B seems easier then it was in 4. I'm going to boot up 4 for a bit though because it seems like a few moves are missing that would leave you BT. Either way great game most fun I've had with a fighter in a long while.

I have been using Alpha Pat and mained Setsuka in 3 and 4, and it's just not the same. The moveset is great, but it really seems so out of place on Pat. Some good changes though with the moves, some others ehh not so great.

Pyrrha Omega is pretty damn sweet also. Overall I'm very happy with this game. Cannot wait to go home and play some more. Almost called in sick to work just so I could get some more game time. Need to practice Just Guards, and some of Patsuka's JF's.

Seems like the timing is stricter on agB, and 1AAA, or I could be rusty, which is probably the case, though 3B, B seems easier then it was in 4. I'm going to boot up 4 for a bit though because it seems like a few moves are missing that would leave you BT. Either way great game most fun I've had with a fighter in a long while.

I think Alpha Pat should have had a mix between the Setsuka moves that work for him and the original version's moves.

But again, since I hear the story mode kinda implies
that Pat will continue to use his "alpha" style because that's what he was originally taught and he wants to get out from the Sophie/Cassie sword and board shadow
, then they might revamp it next game to make it his own.

Oh thank goodness.

Yeah, here's what happened in a nutshell:

- Kilik/Xianghua happens, Kilik disappears/leaves to do something important and never returns, Xianghua is pregnant. Obviously something major happens for Kilik to not come back, but we don't know what.
- Xianghua goes home to China, has Xiba, her grandfather and dad arrange a marriage for her and make her give up the kid. Her dad says he'll take the kid but Xianghua can't tell him who his parents are, has to disavow him, etc.
- Xiba gets left with her dad (Master Kong), she marries what's his face, has two kids by him, the end.

Leixia and her bro are Yan Wujin's kids officialy then correct?

Yeah, they are.

I think Alpha Pat should have had a mix between the Setsuka moves that work for him and the original version's moves.

But again, since I hear the story mode kinda implies
that Pat will continue to use his "alpha" style because that's what he was originally taught and he wants to get out from the Sophie/Cassie sword and board shadow
, then they might revamp it next game to make it his own.

Yeah, here's what happened in a nutshell:

- Kilik/Xianghua happens, Kilik disappears/leaves to do something important and never returns, Xianghua is pregnant. Obviously something major happens for Kilik to not come back, but we don't know what.
- Xianghua goes home to China, has Xiba, her grandfather and dad arrange a marriage for her and make her give up the kid. Her dad says he'll take the kid but Xianghua can't tell him who his parents are, has to disavow him, etc.
- Xiba gets left with her dad (Master Kong), she marries what's his face, has two kids by him, the end.

Thanks man I appreciate all the info. Sucks that
Xianghua has 2 kids with some dude from an arranged marriage. Unless of course she ended up falling for him. If not, then an arranged marriage was more than enough, no need to get knocked up twice lol

He designed a female's katana umbrella blade animations on a male character that canonically uses his mother's fighting style. I want you to sit there and really ponder what you're saying for a minute. It's completely missing the style and flair that it originally had. Day 1 DLC Setsuka, the way that moveset was made to play.

Actually,
Story Mode has something where it implies that Patroklos used battoujutsu initially. Where he learned it, nobody knows. Maybe Setsuka herself taught him. The reason he started to use a sword and shield later on is because he wanted to feel closer to his mom or something like that.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Actually,
Story Mode has something where it implies that Patroklos used battoujutsu initially. Where he learned it, nobody knows. Maybe Setsuka herself taught him. The reason he started to use a sword and shield later on is because he wanted to feel closer to his mom or something like that.

aka I don't know shit about the story but I'm going to talk like I do and cry about everything?

Doesn't the soul swords match what the persons personality matches and strongest style is? -.-

aka I don't know shit about the story but I'm going to talk like I do and cry about everything?

Doesn't the soul swords match what the persons personality matches and strongest style is? -.-

Yes. Yes it does.

So Alpha Pat resonates with his original fighting style in his younger days, aka Battoujutsu. I seriously think Setsuka's had it, for all intents and purposes.

Top Bottom