• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

BHK3

Banned
Couple questions.

SCIV was an absolute mess balance wise, is it the same thing here?
I heard kilik was removed but instead they added the monkey king, so if I mained kilik, I can just play him right?
I really wanted to main yun-seong but kilik just seemed to be much easier to play against my friend, is his style or anything still in the game? Like can I make a custom character with his moves?

My friend is getting it tomorrow and he's far from the fighting type, he's only getting it to casually play it for some odd reason, so any advice that'll give me the upper hand is greatly appreciated.

Ok so looking through the OP, I'm confused as to what guard impacts are. I thought guard impacts where when you press guard and forward/back at the same time and you can deflect or parry an attack.

DR2K

Banned
aka I don't know shit about the story but I'm going to talk like I do and cry about everything?

Still makes absolutely no sense and doesn't justify removing Setsuka. Stop getting butt hurt over my opinions, good lord some of you are so damn bitter over conflicting opinions. I get it you're excited about SCV, so am I, I'm just going to analyze now what a lot are going to in the coming months. Only the most easily swayed fans could justify the absence/removal of content as being a good thing. Stay free with those back handed comments though.

AAK

It is impossible to tell if the game is balanced or not. It needs to be out for at least a month before you can determine anything. So far, Apparently Omega Pyrrha has an 80% combo that uses only 1/2 meter. DJin also has some crazy Juggle capabilities judging by the AI footage but needs a lot of meter. But I don't have the game yet so I can't confirm any of them.

TDLink

Couple questions.

I heard kilik was removed but instead they added the monkey king, so if I mained kilik, I can just play him right?
I really wanted to main yun-seong but kilik just seemed to be much easier to play against my friend, is his style or anything still in the game? Like can I make a custom character with his moves?

My friend is getting it tomorrow and he's far from the fighting type, he's only getting it to casually play it for some odd reason, so any advice that'll give me the upper hand is greatly appreciated.

Ok so looking through the OP, I'm confused as to what guard impacts are. I thought guard impacts where when you press guard and forward/back at the same time and you can deflect or parry an attack.

• Yun-Seong is not in the game, nor is his style.
  • Kilik is still in the game but he now is a mimic for male character styles (think Charade/Olcadan/Edgemaster)
  • Xiba is a new character whose style is sort of like how Kilik's has been in the past games (He uses a bo staff)

DR2K

Banned
It is impossible to tell if the game is balanced or not. It needs to be out for at least a month before you can determine anything. So far, Apparently Omega Pyrrha has an 80% combo that uses only 1/2 meter. DJin also has some crazy Juggle capabilities judging by the AI footage but needs a lot of meter. But I don't have the game yet so I can't confirm any of them.

It's SC, easily the most broken legitimate 3D fighter from iteration to iteration. You're going to see a lot of stupid shit slip through the cracks, hopefully project soul is serious about patching nonsense like a fuzzy guard that hurts mix ups for a while. That's one of the reasons SC hasn't taken off as well as it should have with the core community there's always something stupid within the mechanics that holds it back.

Still makes absolutely no sense and doesn't justify removing Setsuka. Stop getting butt hurt over my opinions, good lord some of you are so damn bitter over conflicting opinions. I get it you're excited about SCV, so am I, I'm just going to analyze now what a lot are going to in the coming months. Only the most easily swayed fans could justify the absence/removal of content as being a good thing. Stay free with those back handed comments though.

Oh, I agree that removed content fucking blows. I was just saying that they actually tried to have a storyline-based reason as to why Pat fights like he does in Alpha form, no dissing intended.

- Couldn't say. I doubt anyone could solidly say if it's broken or not balance-wise this early.
- Xiba's way different from Kilik in application from what I've heard. He's like Cassie to Sophie in older games, a couple of the same moves but that's it. So you could definitely play him but you'd have to go in with the mindset that he's a new character and not just a Kilik palette swap.
- Kilik is actually in, but as stated by TDLink he's a clone character (for some stupid reason) of all the male styles.
- Yunseong got axed. No character rep whatsoever, ditto for CaS style. Which sucks.
- GI is a different command in this game and takes meter now, but yeah that's what it is.

DR2K

Banned
Oh, I agree that removed content fucking blows. I was just saying that they actually tried to have a storyline-based reason as to why Pat fights like he does in Alpha form, no dissing intended.

No, you're actually being helpful, thanks!

How long is the story mode?

A friend of mine recently got the game and mentioned that the game already prompted for an update when he tried to play it. Patch 1.01 I think. Anyone have the changes log for it?

d0c_zaius

whoever designed the AI for legendary souls mode, fuck you.

probably the most frustrating hour I've spent playing a game in a long time.

Although I like Alpha Pat I do see where DR2K is coming from, no Yun made me sad (not even a replacement for him or Zas, c'mon Daishi).

Don't think there's a complete list of patch notes yet.

TDLink

A friend of mine recently got the game and mentioned that the game already prompted for an update when he tried to play it. Patch 1.01 I think. Anyone have the changes log for it?

MarkMan said a few pages back that it added the Global Colosseo online mode and some character balance changes (though he didn't say what those changes were).

It wouldn't surprise me if Daishi is already thinking of ways to nerf Natsu. Everyone's breaking the golden rule and talking about how awesome she is. XD

BHK3

Banned
  • Yun-Seong is not in the game, nor is his style.
  • Kilik is still in the game but he now is a mimic for male character styles (think Charade/Olcadan/Edgemaster)
  • Xiba is a new character whose style is sort of like how Kilik's has been in the past games (He uses a bo staff)

Kilik is a...mimic character now? That's quite...odd...

Well not all is lost I guess, I still retained one(2?) of my mains. I hope I like one of the new characters so I can have two mains again. I used to like Tira but playing her just because she was pretty wasn't getting me anywhere...she was kinda weak too :(

Apparently devil jin is in the game with most of his moves from tekken, I am very very pleased since he looks exceptionally powerful.

Apparently devil jin is in the game with most of his moves from tekken, I am very very pleased since he looks exceptionally powerful.

DJ looks scary in this game.

But then again he's a Mishima, so it's not like there was ever a chance he was not gonna be crazy good. Wish they had put Kazuya CAS style in too, I'd have had to put down Sieg for a bit if they did that.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

I love back handed comments they are fun :D

Personally I think a lot of the stuff in the game is a bit silly. Like cervantes being in it as a human again... wut? You gotta remember though, although they removed 2 styles, they added 3 new ones? I'm pretty sure lizard mans style is kinda new and completely overhauled some of the others.

RS4-

Tips on who I should use? I haven't played SC since...2 really. I have no particular play style or preference. So I suppose someone "easy" would be a good place to start

BHK3

Banned
DJ looks scary in this game.

But then again he's a Mishima, so it's not like there was ever a chance he was not gonna be crazy good. Wish they had put Kazuya CAS style in too, I'd have had to put down Sieg for a bit if they did that.

Just watched a video with his whole moveset, god damn his potential is limitless.

I love back handed comments they are fun :D

Personally I think a lot of the stuff in the game is a bit silly. Like cervantes being in it as a human again... wut? You gotta remember though, although they removed 2 styles, they added 3 new ones? I'm pretty sure lizard mans style is kinda new and completely overhauled some of the others.

I thought the reason why they gave lizardman wings was so they can port over kratos' moveset from the psp game.

d0c_zaius

is there some secret to the new parry system?

I can reliably parry in 3s, but trying it now I was able to get it twice about of maybe 30 times. The AI in legendary is literally impossible for me to fight unless I can do this consistently.

Relative to the storyline, it's not that odd given his mentor.

It's weird that they'd put both him and Edgemaster is as mimic characters (and Elysium) when they were trying to limit "cloned" styles. That's the main beef I have with it. If they wanted Kilik to be a mimic, they should have passed the torch fully and booted Edgemaster in favor of Kilik.

I honestly prefer the two mimics for male/female styles and think they should have just dropped Edgemaster. Kilik doing Pyrrha moves would be a bigger disgrace than Xiba's bo tail by a long shot. XD

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

I can reliably parry in 3s, but trying it now I was able to get it twice about of maybe 30 times. The AI in legendary is literally impossible for me to fight unless I can do this consistently.

2-3 frame window.

TDLink

Tips on who I should use? I haven't played SC since...2 really. I have no particular play style or preference. So I suppose someone "easy" would be a good place to start

Patroklos, Pyrrha, Maxi, and Xiba are all pretty beginner friendly imo.

You have to barely touch it. I swipe my finger across the button to do it. Safe moves and quick step make Legendary Souls fairly easy. Blocking gets you murdered, and trying to Just Guard will probably be even worse.

d0c_zaius

2-3 frame window.

You have to barely touch it. I swipe my finger across the button to do it. Safe moves and quick step make Legendary Souls fairly easy. Blocking gets you murdered, and trying to Just Guard will probably be even worse.

hmm ok thanks. Hopefully I can get used to the timing/feel as it's getting really frustrating.

I must suck if those simple things make legendary fairly easy. Its literally just an overwhelming mess as soon as the round starts....perfect, perfect, perfect. Sucks that unlocks are tied to this. F'n Yoshi Utoh.

The game's got this character ranking thing with "Ease of Use' being one of the stats. These characters have a 4 or 5 in it (it goes from 1 to 5):

Aeon, Astaroth, Ezio, Mitsurugi, Nightmare, Siegfried, Patroklos, Pyrrah

So start with the one among these you think is the coolest, I guess.

Couple questions.

The SC games follow the same model of balancing that MvC does, everyone has their share of derp and overpowered stuff that will make scrubs complain non-stop, just that some have more derp and overpowered stuff than others. SCIV's balancing is actually not that bad once you took out the Hilde and Algol. SCV's balancing will probably be about the same, there will be a couple of overpowered characters that will make people salty (already Natsu looks ban worthy) but nothing you can't deal with if you stop whinning and start learning how to abuse the derp in your character.

Just encountered Harada TEKKEN in Quick Match. You can't beat this guy head on, man (I couldn't, at least). Use lots of backwards movement and quicksteps to his left to avoid his EWGF. Once I figured that out I dropped him fairly easily.

kiryogi

Banned
Lol @ gamestop. . . No one here and total fail that they didn't get any guides in D: just placed an order with amazon. An hour and 10min to go. . .

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
"Has more to do with hitting more international and cross country matches."

Not really, you'd see a low bar connection in those cases. Having 5 bar matches that play like ass has nothing to do with international/cross country matches.

I suppose. I've had "4 bar" connections with Japan that don't play anywhere close to that, and 3 bar connections with Canadian players that are passable.

Tizoc

Played the game for a bit and I'm slowly getting the hang of it.
Could someone provide combos for-
Mitsurugi, Cervantes and Ezio?
I plan on learning Maxi eventually, dude uses a nunchuck \m/

sephi22

MikeProtagonist was right. We were in the same lobby. We didn't play each other though.
wW8bD.jpg

kiryogi

Banned
Copy get! And wait I didn't get an Ivy Bobblehead either! I got a Tshirt tho. . .

That said, there's no PSN gaf chat yet right? I made one! Some invites already sent out.

send me a msg if you're interested :eek:

<-- PSN

Game is awesome but not having B or F plus G to parry/whatever is REALLY throwing me off. I'm having to unlearn a huge part of the defense/offense from 4 other games.

Top Bottom