• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

Ties

Banned
Planning on learning Tira eventually. The mood gameplay looks rad, and she has more damage output than Viola!

frequency

I'm not much for online, but I was in the GAF room for a bit just because. I think I only fought random people though. And the connections were all pretty bad compared to the ranked matches.

frequency

Maybe? I play Natsu (poorly).

I fought like 3 custom characters and a Viola.

I haven't played much online but 3 bar usually plays fine in ranked. Maybe my SO is streaming or something downstairs. Everything felt like it had like a second delay and I couldn't get 3 button hits off. It would only do 1 or 2.

Not that that's an excuse. If my connection was bad, so was the person I was fighting. I'm just a terrible player.

EDIT: Ah, reading above, I think you were the Viola who did like 190239129 hit combos and made me cry.

Ties

Banned
Ah, I was probably the Viola you played.

Darn, my wireless connection is literally right next to my PS3. Haha. I guess I need to switch over to a wired one if any GAFfer wants to spar. Naw you aren't bad, you kept me pressured the whole way through our match.

Good game though!

frequency

I'm pretty sure the connection problem was on my end because it was kind of bad with all my matches.
Though it was fine when I was playing ranked right before joining the Jacksonville room. Maybe Jacksonville just doesn't like me.

I had fun. Viola looks interesting. I tried her when I first got the game but it was too hard for me to keep track of the different moves with and without the orb. I'm too slow minded to handle all that. So I was really impressed at what you could do with her.

I mainly play single player so I panic when something doesn't go according to plan (like when a "combo" gets side stepped).
I also never know how to start a fight. CPU tends to stand there and let me get in the first attack. Players almost always get the attack in on me first.

mr. puppy

Banned
so i haven't played soul calibur since SC2, and my best character was Astaroth. How is he looking in this game?

I remember in sc2 I always got my ass handed to me by the guy who played Ibuki or whoever the ninja with giant tits is in this game.

Vodh

8 on the break was dominated by Pyrrhas and Violas, with [EMP]KDZ working his way through the losers bracket as Patroklos/Maxi and Ramon just dominating everyone with his Mitsurugi so efficiently you could forget there was a Mitsu around - and yeah, he won. Pretty fun to watch and really nice commentary (mainly Bibulos, Quotes and Ramon (with an ocasional offtopic conversations, as usual).

Anyone knows any places to watch high level SCV? I hope they will keep on streaming it from 8 on the break, but it's just once a week...

Also, Natsu's A is i10, 2bA is i8 (asked a few pages ago).

Kurod

Banned
so i haven't played soul calibur since SC2, and my best character was Astaroth. How is he looking in this game?

I remember in sc2 I always got my ass handed to me by the guy who played Ibuki or whoever the ninja with giant tits is in this game.

From what I've played and seen Asty is probably up near the tops as far as tiers go. Huge range, punishing grabs, and big damage all around.

Taki, the "giant tits Ibuki", isn't in this game but she has a protege named Natsu here. Natsu is every bit as scary as Taki was...maybe even more so.

Am I the only one thinking that Critical Edges were really poorly implemented in this game? I mean its one thing to have straight up invincibility after the super flash but with a fair margin of CEs being just straight up SAFE on block I think is a little more than ridiculous. I feel like it gets to the point where in a match where you're down there's virtually no reason not to just throw out a random CE, worst case scenario they block it and you're both neutral right?

Have you gaffers tried guard impacting CEs at any point? Does that even work? Bump even attempting to Just Guard the majority of that crap, no where near worth the risk.

Am I the only one thinking that Critical Edges were really poorly implemented in this game? I mean its one thing to have straight up invincibility after the super flash but with a fair margin of CEs being just straight up SAFE on block I think is a little more than ridiculous. I feel like it gets to the point where in a match where you're down there's virtually no reason not to just throw out a random CE, worst case scenario they block it and you're both neutral right?

Pretty sure worst case scenario is they dodge it and punish you for it. Also, of course there's a reason not to do a wake up CE, that's one bar that now you can't use on BEs or GIs.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Pretty sure worst case scenario is they dodge it and punish you for it. Also, of course there's a reason not to do a wake up CE, that's one bar that now you can't use on BEs or GIs.

Yup. Pulling a random CE off and having it blocked, even if it's safe, still means you're down a bar. BEs are damn good and I'm finding myself already not doing supers nearly as often.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Only got to play a few, but I had fun - some very cool CaS stuff. Thanks for tolerating my scrub Xiba, fellas.

I think I try to block wayyy too much, lol.

Esura

Banned
Tonight was fun as heck. Ferrio's Tira is boss.

I need to work on a general gameplan for when I play though. I'm still sucking.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Question about replays.. how many can you save locally for later viewing? Or wherever for later access if they're hosted online?

8 on the break was dominated by Pyrrhas and Violas, with [EMP]KDZ working his way through the losers bracket as Patroklos/Maxi and Ramon just dominating everyone with his Mitsurugi so efficiently you could forget there was a Mitsu around - and yeah, he won. Pretty fun to watch and really nice commentary (mainly Bibulos, Quotes and Ramon (with an ocasional offtopic conversations, as usual).

Anyone knows any places to watch high level SCV? I hope they will keep on streaming it from 8 on the break, but it's just once a week...

Also, Natsu's A is i10, 2bA is i8 (asked a few pages ago).

I main Mitsu, so Mitsus winning around the world is always good news, does anyone one have any link to SCV high level Mitsurugi matches?

conman

Wow. Despite my 20% win ratio (with close to a 100 matches) I still managed to get someone to rage quit (someone with a 50% win percentage who I was just on the verge of cleanly sweeping in the final round). I got a few PMs in a row from him calling me the standard litany of f****t and n****r. I'm also a "hacker" and a "cheater" and he's now promised to infect my PS3 with a "virus."

Anyway, it felt damn good to get such a rise out of someone. Much better than getting the recorded win and a few points. I may still suck, but maybe not as much as I'd thought. :)

And not quite as satisfying, but I also beat someone else last night who had a 50+% win ratio and who then sent me a PM dismissing me as a "scrub." Do these people not realize that those insults are actually compliments? If I can get under these idiots' skins, I must finally be getting better at fighting games.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Sigh Ps3 update messed up my controller.
It was working perfectly yesterday and today I gave the update and d-pad right doesnt work and clicking the sticks will randomly trigger the XMB

I wont play until I get a new controller or check if its actually fixable.

Update: Plug the controller to see if it changed anything now its not even accepting the stick and buttons

Any Gaffers on XBL, hit me up. Trying to learn match-ups and such. I play Mitsu, Ash and Natsu(A horrible Natsu player, but I love Ninja's) ShinobiFist is my GT.....

Skilletor

Sigh Ps3 update messed up my controller.
It was working perfectly yesterday and today I gave the update and d-pad right doesnt work and clicking the sticks will randomly trigger the XMB

I wont play until I get a new controller or check if its actually fixable.

Update: Plug the controller to see if it changed anything now its not even accepting the stick and buttons

What kind of controller are you using?

Ferrio

Banned
I need to play against your Tira again. Almost every Tira online has destroyed me. I need teh practice.

When she's in Gloomy you really gotta be on the lookout for her 3B, it's my main purpose in life to land that when in that stance.

We should get another good lobby going tonight.

Vodh

I main Mitsu, so Mitsus winning around the world is always good news, does anyone one have any link to SCV high level Mitsurugi matches?

You can find the VODs for 8 on the break weekly here: http://8wayrun.com/media/category/the-break-weekly.31/ (the yesterday ones have been already uploaded)

For Mitsu check out these:
http://8wayrun.com/media/the-break-weekly-146-sc5-w1-aeuen-vs-ramon.3308/
http://8wayrun.com/media/the-break-weekly-146-sc5-wf-tsf-ramon-vs-emp-kdz.3316/
http://8wayrun.com/media/the-break-weekly-146-sc5-gf-emp-kdz-vs-tsf-ramon.3321/

On other news, the courier brought my Future Press guide 10 minutes before I left for work, have been dying to sink into it for the whole day and from the looks of it it's every bit as amazing as people say. Game mechanics, extensive character guides, full frame data - it's all there.

CAS question, do you unlock more chinese symbols later? I can't find the one I need for my Xiba dressed as Goku :(

Speaking of those, is there a translation of those things? I could identify a few of them if they weren't so hard to read at times x__x

Asking again because nobody answered.

Top Bottom