• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man: Homecoming review thread [92% RT]

SpaceWolf

Banned
SpaceWolf liking it just solidifies my thoughts on the movie further

That I'm gonna HATE it

Don't make me come at you, Bronson!

tumblr_m3oy160tSO1qa029qo1_500.gif

I don't know, I had insane expectations for that one but ended up loving it anyway. Was just so perfect in its own way.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I definitely liked it...I'm just saying like, it would probably be wise not to expect, like, a Kraven the Hunter tease or something. In that sense, someone might find it rather anti-climactic.

NotLiquid

Sitting in the theater atm while credits are rolling. I'm not sure how it took them so long to make an actual Spider-Man movie with a believable high school setting but they fucking did it

Tom Holland is the best Spidey. He's meek, nerdy, funny and earnest. He sells the entire movie and makes it something special

Also definitely Vulture is one of the best villains in the MCU so far, up there with GOTG2 (not counting Loki cause that'd be unfair)

Theecliff

Banned
No problem! Genuinely amazed anyone could find my presence here memorable enough to remember anything I have to say about comic book movies, so thank you for that.

The action is...competently directed. It's not particularly noticeable in either department. There's one particularly sequence at night-time which was extremely chaotic visually, to such an extent that I was having a hard time following what was going on. There's a lot of extremely energetic and fluid fight choreography though, especially when Spider-Man is fighting regular criminals on the ground, as well as when he's zipping around the city. Overall, I was satisfied with it!
i recognise a lot of regular posters without interacting with most (i usually don't post a lot), which is probably why mentioning that i share some opinions with you comes across as a bit strange 😅 and honestly i feel the same - i doubt many people recognise me or remember shit that i post, if in part perhaps because, as previously mentioned, i don't post that much at all at times. if anything my only hope is that people sort of recognise my goofy/stupid avatar!

and thanks for your response! this is sort of what i expected, although i did like one or two action shots from the trailers (most notably the ferry fight scene and shots of spider-man leaping away from a pillar, during what i can only is a show down with vulture).

in general i think marvel films are improving in terms of action, as i thought the action in gotg2 was a significant improvement over its predecessor, and despite the overuse of uncomfortable close-up and medium shots to show off certain special effects, dr strange was mostly good in this regard.

also glad to hear vulture's a good villain. would have been a shame if micheal keaton was wasted like mads mikkelson was in doctor strange.

Pachimari

Okay, so a post-credit scene that is "holy-fuck-don't-miss-it and have the room laughing" scene. Definitely not an MJ reveal. Can't see it being a setup either. Hmm.

oh man I can't wait. Just got my tix for tomorrow night! This kind of snuck up on me, for some reason I thought the movie was coming out later this month!

Certinty

If you're curious about the end post credits scene please don't ruin it for yourself. It really needs to be seen especially after the movie for full enjoyment. This is definitely one that shouldn't be read about.

Just finished the midnight showing here in Singapore...really love it!

I'm glad they made this 'small' and doesn't involve any world ending major crisis as spider-man isn't about that...

Am also glad this spider-man is way lighthearted than than amazing Spiderman...which is way too emo for my taste.

link1201

If you're curious about the end post credits scene please don't ruin it for yourself. It really needs to be seen especially after the movie for full enjoyment. This is definitely one that shouldn't be read about.
Is there just one or a couple?

SpaceWolf

Banned
i recognise a lot of regular posters without interacting with most (i usually don't post a lot), which is probably why mentioning that i share some opinions with you comes across as a bit strange �� and honestly i feel the same - i doubt many people recognise me or remember shit that i post, if in part perhaps because, as previously mentioned, i don't post that much at all at times. if anything my only hope is that people sort of recognise my goofy/stupid avatar!

and thanks for your response! this is sort of what i expected, although i did like one or two action shots from the trailers (most notably the ferry fight scene and shots of spider-man leaping away from a pillar, during what i can only is a show down with vulture).

in general i think marvel films are improving in terms of action, as i thought the action in gotg2 was a significant improvement over its predecessor, and despite the overuse of uncomfortable close-up and medium shots to show off certain special effects, dr strange was mostly good in this regard.

also glad to hear vulture's a good villain. would have been a shame if micheal keaton was wasted like mads mikkelson was in doctor strange.

Haha, well for the record, I absolutely love your avatar. Please never change it!

And yeah, Michael Keaton's a lot of fun in this. I definitely don't feel he was wasted unlike so many other Marvel villains in the past. There's a scene he has in the third act that was my absolute favourite scene of the whole film. I dug his character.

What is it? Spoiler tags please.

SPOILERS:

First post credits scene: A recently incarcerated Toomes encounters Mac Gargan (The Scorpion) in The Raft. Gargan states he knows a group of guys who are eager to put an end to Spider-Man. He asks Toomes if he knows Spider-Man's identity, which Toomes denies.

Second post-credits scene: Captain America appears in another one of those educational videos, lecturing how patience in itself can be a virtue and yet how sometimes it can yield dissapointing results.

Pachimari

majik13

Saw this last week, was pretty good guys. Some parts were kinda meh, but overall, good cast, and characters. Dont hype yourself up too much for the post credits scene. But worth seeing.

Ithil

I saw it today, a very enjoyable, light hearted take on the material. It seemed they made a conscious effort to avoid the "wangst" feel of the other Spider-Man films and not repeat any major aspects of the previous films (something I believe people complained about a lot with ASM 1), and had very different interpretations of many of the same characters, like May, Flash and
Mary Jane
, which will probably divide folks.

Holland is great as you'd expect, and they nail the high school feel of things. Vulture wound up being a solid villain by the end, there was a little more to him than first indicated, and his depiction/design is superb. They probably could have spent more time on his school stuff, but it's all much better than the silliness of the Raimi and ASM films. On the
Mary Jane
front, I was suprised both at how small the role was and also
I fully expected them to do the Breakfast Club deal with her showing up to a dance all glamorous after being frumpy the whole film, but they never did. They did the "cast a pretty girl and give her baggy clothes and untidy hair" gimmick but didn't indulge the other cliché.

The film really relishes being in the MCU, more even than most entries do. While it's very standalone from a plot/scale perspective, Marvel/Sony definitely leaped at the chance to have Spider-Man as a little part of a larger world. There's all sorts of passing references and the cameo from
Captain America
was hilarious. However, I did get a little confused at when exactly the film took place, as
generally the MCU films are set t he year they come out, but this one had an intro set after The Avengers, then a jump to 8 years later, which would put it in 2020, but it also was two months after Civil War, so Civil War apparently took place in 2019 or 2020, and not 2016?

As others have said, the marketing greatly overstates Iron Man's role, he's in at most, four scenes of the movie.

SpaceWolf

Banned
On the
Mary Jane
front, I was suprised both at how small the role was and also
I fully expected them to do the Breakfast Club deal with her showing up to a dance all glamorous after being frumpy the whole film, but they never did. They did the "cast a pretty girl and give her baggy clothes and untidy hair" gimmick but didn't indulge the other cliché.

On this point, I'm fully expecting them to re-create the
"Face it tiger, you just hit the jackpot" scene from the comics, complete with MJ getting a red-headed make-over in the sequel.

Just got back from seeing it. Definitely enjoyed it but all that praise and everything from the reviews? Nah not for me, not like that. Now I do have to mention that I just enjoy Spidey movies but never been a huge fan of the character, he's just cool for me basically.

I also really have to get used to this new guy as Peter and Spidey, it really pretty much is a kid. So yeah, good movie but nothing that made me go "omfg this is amazing."

Toothless

All this post-credits hype... if it's not (SPECULATION)
Tobey Maguire setting up Spider-Verse down the line
, I'm being hella disappointed in you all

Pachimari

If the post-credit scene is just some hilarious joke, then it's probably gonna be meh to me, unless it is world-building or setting up something.

chrono01

Also you guys do NOT want to miss the post-credit scene.

Holy fuck.
Everyone keeps saying this, so it has me genuinely interested.

Is the post credits scene really that important? I'll be in a rush (somewhat) after the movie ends, but if it's an amazing scene (and not something to troll people or whatever), then I'll stick around for it.

Oh, no spoilers, just whether the mid/post-credit scene is 100% worth waiting for or not. Thanks!

Liamc723

Is the post credits scene really that important? I'll be in a rush (somewhat) after the movie ends, but if it's an amazing scene (and not something to troll people or whatever), then I'll stick around for it.

Oh, no spoilers, just whether the mid/post-credit scene is 100% worth waiting for or not. Thanks!

It's 100% worth waiting for.

There really is no way to answer this. See it, or don't, but if you plan on watching it, don't spoil yourself beforehand.

Snaku

Banned
seems like the Marvel villain cred is steadily improving.

The Mandarin and Ultron were fantastic villains. Not necessarily what people were expecting, but really stand out performances and they actually felt like a real threat to the hero(es).

Top Bottom