• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man is Entering The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Prompto

Banned
For those saying that X-Men is next, that ain't happening. Fox just had the biggest hit of that franchise with Days of Future Past, and they are going to milk it. And I am fine with that. The X-Men universe is robust and complicated enough to be its own thing.
Yeah X-Men is fine on their own and Fox seems to know what their doing. I guess we'll see about Fantastic Four though...

Is it possible that they have already casted the new Spider-man (since he's going to be in Civil War)? And that'll be the news that is getting revealed soon?

OH BOY OH BOY OH BOY

So okay. First official MCU Spiderman film hits in 2017, with one appearance in an MCU film beforehand. We'll assume that both Ultron and AntMan are too far along to entertain the notion of an appearance there. It's gonna be either Doctor Strange, or (much more likely) - Civil War. Assuming that Marvel knew about this deal for awhile - there HAS to be a version of the script that already introduces Spiderman. They saw the writing on the wall. So I think it's entirely possible that he could still have a decent role in Civil War, outside of an end-credits cameo (though I think that's the more likely outcome).

The real problem here is casting. Civil War has already started shooting. Maybe they've accounted for this. Maybe they haven't. But I think if we hear within the month, news of an actor being signed as Marvel's spidey - or confirmation that Garfield will stick around... he's a part of this thing.

Also looks like this will cause some sort of shift in the release scheudle. July 28th is for Thor: Ragnarok. And unless Marvel wants FOUR MCU movies in one year.. Somebody's gettin' pushed.

FROM TWITTER aka could totally be wrong:

Spidey takes Thor's slot, Thor now moved to November 2017
Sinister Six movie apparently still on for 2016
Black Panther and Captain Marvel also pushed back?

They probably make more money and have more control this way.

Yep. They are practically forced to released Sinister Six and Venom movies to keep the rights. This way, they get more hype from Marvel's movie and make more money off their own movie and not resort to bullshit that's Sinister Six or Venom.

Instead of everyone losing, everyone is winning.

_woLf

Meanwhile DC continues to shit itself while crying in a corner.

I had absolutely no doubt this deal was getting done once they announced Civil War. I still think the joke title for the film was their backup plan.

No. No. Nope. Hell no. Toby does not belong in the glory that will be the civil war and the next spiderman movie. I'll forever hate him for that scene in the jazz club and the way they did his hair when he was "evil" Peter Parker
Absolutely right. Besides, I really don't want them using an actor. Let someone else have this shot.

Eddie Redmayne sounds decent to me.

Floridian

Tbh though, they should cast someone new. I'd like to see another revision of Spidey. But who would best fit the role though?

3N16MA

Banned
Great news and exactly what Sony needed. Disney gets Spider-Man in the MCU which is a win considering the direction phase 3 is heading. Sony gets to re energize the franchise by associating it with MCU (Civil War?) and having audiences flock to the solo films because of it.

MisterHero

No. No. Nope. Hell no. Toby does not belong in the glory that will be the civil war and the next spiderman movie. I'll forever hate him for that scene in the jazz club and the way they did his hair when he was "evil" Peter Parker

Maguire was merely lucky he was in 2 great Spiderman movies. He was a terrible Spidey and Peter. Garfield was better but its probably for the best if someone new is cast.

tumblr_marpidzdv91qc8l0ueg.gif

Maguire was merely lucky he was in 2 great Spiderman movies. He was a terrible Spidey and Peter. Garfield was better but its probably for the best if someone new is cast.

SCChappy

Banned
FROM TWITTER aka could totally be wrong:

Spidey takes Thor's slot, Thor now moved to November 2017
Sinister Six movie apparently still on for 2016
Black Panther and Captain Marvel also pushed back?

How could Sinister Six in the form we know of even be possible at this point?

They'll make more money in the long term keeping him.

Wouldn't they stand to make more money this way? Instead of defeat, which they would admit by selling it, they can put this as a feather in their cap and be associated with something, potentially, good if not great.

They probably make more money and have more control this way.

That's why it's hard to see what's in it for Disney/marvel other than Spider-Man just appearing

eloestmn

This is the best movie news Ive ever heard!

We should all go and check to see if money is falling from the sky right now.

Poor T'Challa :( Hoping they still deliver on Panther despite the pushback, want dude to get a push and Spidey doesn't really need one. Late to the game and all that shit. But money is money :/

Dryk

JK Simmons said on Howard Stern a few days ago that there have been "new possiblities"(paraphrase) regarding him returning as JJJ when Howard asked him
Everyone involved in Amazing Spiderman clearly knew he's irreplaceable, they need to just lock him down for as long as possible

Holy shit...

Think about Tobey M back.. He can be a older Spider-man. We can totally bypass all the origin BS with Spider-man cause we've already seen it twice. He can come in as everything has already happened and him fighting against a villain and obviously Nick Fury coming onto the scene to make him a offer.

The only problem is that The Avengers was set in New York.. Where the hell was Spider-Man?

atr0cious

This is both the best and worst news. Garfield is Spider-Man, so I really hope they can find someone to replace him. Donald would be great, but we'll have to see the returns on SWVII to see if Disney will wanna bank on another black actor.

Holy shit...

Think about Tobey M back..

Do people really want milquetoast Spider-Man back? What the fuck!?

It looks like everything got moved to accommodate Spider-Man.

As a result of the new deal, Thor: Ragnarok will now arrive nearly four months later than planned, moving to November 3, 2017 (from July 28). Black Panther, which previously held that spot, gets delayed eight months, going from that original November 3 date to July 6, 2018. That, in turn, bumps Captain Marvel to November 2, 2018 and moves Inhumans all the way to July 12, 2019. The two-part Avengers: Infinity War, meanwhile, remains set for release May 4, 2018 and May 3, 2019.

Top Bottom