• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man is Entering The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I really hope they keep Garfield. I dug the first Amazing Spiderman, the sequel did suck though. I thought he was a good fit for the Parker/Spiderman role and he seems to really like playing the character.

Garfield is out, it's been confirmed.

Futurematic

They're probably saving that for Miles Morales sometime in the future. I'd say either Spectacular or Avenging.

Unlikely to do Avenging right away, the advertising idiots will shoot it down for being too close to Amazing. I'll put my money on Spectacular.

Neoxon

I just realized Spider-Man, Iron Man, and Star-Lord could all be in the same movie.

Holy shit
tumblr_niuduamGPQ1qj3dbwo1_1280.gif

curb

Banned
You know, I'm not that excited about this. Wanted the other heroes to thrive without him

I think there's space for all of them. To me, it's the Fox and DC films contributing to a flood of super-movies that I'm more concerned about. I'd hate to see the see the super bubble burst before I get the MCU films I want.

Sephzilla

The only thing that worries me is that Sony still has hands on this and seemingly has final creative control. I'm so fucking happy Spidey is back where he belongs but at the same time I kind of wish Disney would have just ponied up a lot of cash and got him back entirely.

E the Shaggy

The only thing that worries me is that Sony still has hands on this and seemingly has final creative control. I'm so fucking happy Spidey is back where he belongs but at the same time I kind of wish Disney would have just ponied up a lot of cash and got him back entirely.

I don't know if Sony would have ever outright sold him to Disney though. Maybe for something insane like a couple billion?

Ridley327

As it's been mentioned a few times already, they have creative control only in the sense that's what the deal dictates. With the former producers relegated to exec credits and Feige now being in the direct production role, it's hard to believe that Sony won't be following Feige's cue the whole way through, even if they have final word. There's no way they're going to attempt stepping on these toes.

Sephzilla

I don't know if Sony would have ever outright sold him to Disney though. Maybe for something insane like a couple billion?

Probably right, but Sony isn't exactly in the greatest place money wise so they might have bit.

As it's been mentioned a few times already, they have creative control only in the sense that's what the deal dictates. With the former producers relegated to exec credits and Feige now being in the direct production role, it's hard to believe that Sony won't be following Feige's cue the whole way through, even if they have final word. There's no way they're going to attempt stepping on these toes.

Hopefully you're right

Tobor

Marvel has all the leverage. Sony needs this deal to work more than Marvel does.

I wouldn't worry. Pascal and Feige are coproducing, but I'd be willing to bet it's Feige who will call the shots.

Cuburt

You know, I'm not that excited about this. Wanted the other heroes to thrive without him

Why wouldn't they?

If Marvel can build their universe without treating Iron Man like how Fox treated Wolverine, I think Spider-Man as a character can co-exist without anyone having to worry about him overshadowing everyone else or hogging all the screen time. In fact, while some people expect Spidey to now be the pivotal character in Civil War like in the comics, I think he'll likely be far less integral to the plot than BP because a Spidey appearing in the MCU wouldn't have the same impact in that world as what Spider-man had in the 616, unless they retcon that Spider-Man is somehow a big deal that no one knows about.

A teen/young adult with spider-powers who just appears isn't going to be a huge deal to people who have seen alien invasions with a Hulk and a thunder god fighting them, and I think that's exactly the way to play it, even if Spider-Man is a way bigger deal to the fans, because that allows him to grow into the role rather than shoehorn him in as a big deal from the start.

BY2K

Membero Americo
People know enough of his origin.

All they need to do to introduce him is do this:

Spider-Man gets on the scene, they wonder who is he, Spidey just says: "Hey, name's Spider-Man, got bit by a radioactive spider, now I have spider powers, what's up?"

Korten

Banned
They need to have references in Agents of Shield now.

Like someone is reading the daily bugel or mention how Oscorp has gotten their hands on some Shield tech.

Also how old is Norman Osborn? Cause maybe they could introduce a much younger version of him on Agent Carter's later seasons. (If they happen.)

BSsBrolly

Banned

Spider-Man gets on the scene, they wonder who is he, Spidey just says: "Hey, name's Spider-Man, got bit by a radioactive spider, now I have spider powers, what's up?"

Or have a flash back to the big battle in NYC, Spider-Man was fighting the invasion in a different part of NYC at the time annnnd was actually responsible for the avengers being able to turn the tide. They just didn't know it.

Exactly. Just a small set of flashbacks. Then keep the movie going foward. No need to redo an origin all over gain . They didnt need it for the Hulk so i think it can work out that way.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'm sure they'll bring Spidey from another dimension, it just doesn't make sense otherwise. He's bigger than any other characters, and for the kids it doesn't matter who is playing him or how he is introduced, they just want to see Spider Man web slinging around. But for the older audience you can't have him just show up like he was always there.

I'm sure Marvel will precisely use Spidey to introduce a multiverse notion, because through him it becomes acceptable to the viewers.

BFIB

Is there going to be a sisnister 6 movie and ASM3? Or will they reboot again? Haven't been following

Sounds like the way it goes is:

Sinister Six to complete the current Garfield/Webb run.

New Spidey to debut in Cap. 3. to kick off Civil War

Question needs to be answered though: Where the fuck was Spidey during the first Avengers then?

Horseress

I know this is probably gonna be an unpopular opinion but I'm actually really annoyed that they are pushing off the other movies just to squeeze Spidey in. It's starting to sound like he could potentially steal the focus away from other characters and reshape the entire direction of the MCU.
I.e does this mean for Black Panther's role in the Civil War movie is going to be reduced? Are the Inhumans even going to play a role in Infinity War now? And exactly how much control is Sony gonna have vs Marvel here?

EDIT: don't get me wrong though, this really is fantastic news

I just would have felt better about this had they announced him to kick off Phase 4, or run a TV series that runs into the Defenders before that.

I trust MCU to not just put him there. And they pretty much HAVE to put Spidey in there. He not being on any of the Avengers movies is an abomination,

Cuburt

I would think this would be basically the case in regards to creative control and direction of the films, the reason I would think Sony would even care to hold on to creative control and might exercise final say is for business purposes, such as demanding they make an Aunt May movie.

Now, I'm sure that they'd want to talk with Marvel about what would be the best characters to use and bounce back and forth ideas with them like that, but if Sony suddenly decided they wanted to absolutely do go a certain direction for purposes of allowing them to make the movies they want, that would allow them to do that. After all, they are the ones funding these movies. i guess fears of a One More Day arc will forever loom over the Spidey verse. :p

Makes me wonder how much Marvel will be involved with any spin-off films.

New Spidey to debut in Cap. 3. to kick off Civil War

Question needs to be answered though: Where the fuck was Spidey during the first Avengers then?

Fighting one of his countless villians in Queens? or you know stopping petty criminals while NYC is in panic mode due to an Alien Invasion. Or fuck it he just took a day off and wanted to see Earth's Mightiest Hero handle the job while taking them photos for Bugle XD. Take your pick.

Nibiru

Banned

Nah Garfield and that whole world is done.

They are saying Sin Six is delayed so you can bet when it does get made it will be a whole new vision like Spiderman will be.

Korten

Banned
Fighting one of his countless villians in Queens? or you know stopping petty criminals while NYC is in panic mode due to an Alien Invasion. Or fuck it he just took a day off and wanted to see Earth's Mightiest Hero handle the job while taking photos. Take your pick.

I like the idea that he did actually help people, but maybe no one got a picture of him because he was too quick and since all eyes were on the Avengers, his help sort of faded into obscurity.

Yeah, probably plot holes with that idea, but I think it (sort of) works.

Vinci

Danish
Fighting one of his countless villians in Queens? or you know stopping petty criminals while NYC is in panic mode due to an Alien Invasion. Or fuck it he just took a day off and wanted to see Earth's Mightiest Hero handle the job while taking them photos for Bugle XD. Take your pick.

Maybe on some Euro trip? Who knows. Doesn't seem that hard to throw in a short line about why he wasn't involved when it could literally be any reason.

Great news I look forward to seeing who gets casted as him since I didn't care for Garfield's take on Spidey.

I'm also more excited to see what Marvel does with the new Spiderman solo flick since they'll be avoiding rehashing the origin again.

BLACKLAC

One of the best things about Spidey back at marvel is that now we will finally get Spider-man with muscles.

You work for Marvel you gonna get them abs!

The Spidey suit will look 10x better because of this.

Top Bottom