• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man is Entering The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Ha.

Marvel TV shows build around their movies, they don't bring their movies into their TV shows. That'd be like RDJ showing up in Agents of Shield.

Uh, Fury, Hill and Sif have all shown up in SHIELD.

RDJ actually said he'd be up for a SHIELD appearance, for what it's worth.

kewlmyc

Holy shit at this news. Like HOLY SHIT.

3 different Spidermans in the course of 10 years along with 2 reboots in the course of 5 years. The general public is going to be confused as hell.

VeeP

Maybe, but after 2 movies series in the last 15 years I think I'm done with Peter Parker for now. I don't want to see any more Mary Jane or Gwen Stacey love story stuff with Peter for a while, it would be nice to see them do something different. I think it will be interesting how this reboot of Marvel treats Spidey, could be some clues about things going forward.

As for Civil War, I don't think Spider-Man would have the same role he had in the series, I feel that requires too much set up as to why he needs to hide who he is and why he trusts Stark to unmask. I'd rather see them give him the role of Speedball in it, a young untrained hero, does something he shouldn't and causes a villain to kill lots of people. Spidey gets the blame for it all.

Peter is more than Gwen and MJ. He's more than SM 1-3, he's more than ASM 1 and 2. He literally has over 60 years of stories behind him. Stories about him in high school, different girlfriends, different challenges, etc. He actually has a GREAT rogue gallery.

Miles DOESNT.

3 different Spidermans in the course of 10 years along with 2 reboots in the course of 5 years. The general public is going to be confused as hell.

Surprised me to hear a morning talk show on the radio mocking this fact. He still said he'll go see the movies though, so I doubt it will have any real impact on box office. It's really interesting to hear the opinions of people who aren't obsessed with super hero stuff like I am.

Hex

Banned
Normon Osborne, Madame Web, various others being open is key.
JJ and the Bugle being able to be mentioned in NY setting in any movie or show,
So many little perks to this.

I agree with this. Spiderman is being tossed around too much.

Also, I hate how all the Marvel movies are starting to feel the same. I liked how ASM felt different than all the other Marvel Superheros in look and presentation.

Ultima_5

fuck young peter parker. i want old peter parker. he hasnt been a kid in decades in the comics and the majority of his best stories work best if he's an adult

No they won't.

In fact, I'm hard pressed to think of an example of this sort of thing having ever actually happened to any real noticeable degree.

Rean

I hope that they do the Kingpin storyline in his next line of movies if he reveals his identity in Civil War. It could help establish the DareDevil Series along with it.

I hope that they do the Kingpin storyline in his next line of movies if he reveals his identity in Civil War. It could help establish the DareDevil Series along with it.

One thing I respected about ASM is that they didn't repeat the villains from Raimi (just GG, but to be fair GG is like Spiderman's Joker, he's integral to the character). I hope they continue this trend, maybe first movie Kingpin + Scorpion. Kraven would be cool too.

Burt

Uh, Fury, Hill and Sif have all shown up in SHIELD.

RDJ actually said he'd be up for a SHIELD appearance, for what it's worth.

And all that is why I said RDJ and not Sam Jackson, who's renowned for his willingness to show up to anything with a check attached to it. RDJ isn't just much more expensive and a much larger and more integral part of the Marvel universe, he's also wrapped up in one hundred times as much red tape contractually than "Sure, I'll be in EVERY Marvel movie" Sam Jackson.

Spider-Man is a shoo-in to be more towards the Iron Man end of the scale than the Nick Fury one. He could easily turn into their biggest draw, especially once RDJ phases out.

Neoxon

People don't realize that Spiderman only spent a brief time in highschool.
The problem is that Marvel has few good young heroes. Yeah, Richard Rider started being Nova as a kid, but what you said about Spidey applies even more so for Richie. And Kamala Khan requires both Captain Marvel & the Inhumans to be established for her to work.

Cuburt

I hope they scrap this. Sinister Six would be cool to see on the big screen but not like how they were setting it up. Hopefully Kevin Feige is also producer for their spin-offs because I can see that as where Sony would still manage to mess things up. Maybe they'll retool it into a proper (not rushed and half-assed) set up during a mainline Spidey film (like it should have been) rather than some villain spin off.

Rooster12

I know this is probably gonna be an unpopular opinion but I'm actually really annoyed that they are pushing off the other movies just to squeeze Spidey in. It's starting to sound like he could potentially steal the focus away from other characters and reshape the entire direction of the MCU.
I.e does this mean for Black Panther's role in the Civil War movie is going to be reduced? Are the Inhumans even going to play a role in Infinity War now? And exactly how much control is Sony gonna have vs Marvel here?

EDIT: don't get me wrong though, this really is fantastic news

I just would have felt better about this had they announced him to kick off Phase 4, or run a TV series that runs into the Defenders before that.

Civil War looks like a mess if all these guys are gonna show up and fight each other....because you know...the original comics were a fucking mess.

No it won't, who cares what the public thinks. As long as the movie is good, as long as it's Spider-Man, they're gonna eat it up.

E the Shaggy

What's great is that Marvel won't hire a director based entirely on his last name being "Webb".

Jesus I cannot get over how bad Amazing 2 was.

I can see someone being confused if they're too fucking ignorant to look at the title of the movie, which won't be Spider-man or The Amazing Spider-man.

y2dvd

This news kept me up all night. I can't help but think even with all the money Spidey will bring in, after the cuts Disney will have to give Sony, Disney would've been more profitable without Spidey. Avengers: Infinity Wars and Cap3: CW were going to be huge regardless of Spidey's involement. I think it's actually commendable that Disney was willing to lose some profit for the sake of Marvel Studio's creative output.

Slayven

The problem is that Marvel has few good young heroes. Yeah, Richard Rider started being Nova as a kid, but what you said about Spidey applies even more so for Richie. And Kamala Khan requires both Captain Marvel & the Inhumans to be established for her to work.

When people say "good" they mean characters they know of, Marvel has a ton of great young heroes. Just that only comic reading folks will have heard of them.

Sun Girl

Sun_Girl_Superior_Spider-man_Team-Up_6.jpg

Bucky
5G3G8M0.png

Night Thrasher
nightthrasherfourcontrol1.jpg

Power Man
PowerManpanel.jpg

E the Shaggy

This news kept me up all night. I can't help but think even with all the money Spidey will bring in, after the cuts Disney will have to give Sony, Disney would've been more profitable without Spidey. Avengers: Infinity Wars and Cap3: CW were going to be huge regardless of Spidey's involement. I think it's actually commendable that Disney was willing to lose some profit for the sake of Marvel Studio's creative output.

A good Spiderman movie will drastically sell more Spidey merchandise though, which is where the money lies for Marvel.

I doubt Amazing Spiderman 2 action figures were flying off the shelf.

Neoxon

Spider-Man brings in more merchandise money than Batman, Superman, & every Marvel super-hero combined. Give Spidey one great movie from Marvel studios & it'll make big money. And imagine Infinity War with Spider-Man, it'll be a money-printing factory.

Disney makes so much bank from Spider-Man toys under the current deal anyway. At this point it's probably just about stewardship of the character (i.e. "we'll give you some money if you let us take creative control so you don't ruin this character and therefore ruin his toy sales"). Sony's not in a great negotiating position as far as their finances or their IP are concerned.

xaosslug

no they won't, especially if this reboot is good. They'll be like 'omg, that new spider-man movie was sooo good!' and that's about it. LOL

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see how Disney is losing money here. Sony is still financing the Spider-Man movies, is there financial details I missed where Marvel/Disney have to give Sony a cut of the Marvel Studios movies that Spidey appears in?

Cuburt

One thing I respected about ASM is that they didn't repeat the villains from Raimi (just GG, but to be fair GG is like Spiderman's Joker, he's integral to the character). I hope they continue this trend, maybe first movie Kingpin + Scorpion. Kraven would be cool too.

And yet they managed to have Norman Osborn be introduced as terminally ill, bed ridden, and have him die in the same movie he was introduced in. Doesn't seem like much of a way to set up the protagonist's main arch enemy.

Top Bottom