• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions |OT| of Undelivered Ham

Spike

Ridley327 said:
Also, I had no idea that Dan Slott did the writing for the game. He's probably the best choice they could have picked; the writing is pitch-perfect.

Nice! It was rumoured but never actually confirmed.

Just a side note for the comics: Dan Slott will be taking over as the sole writer for the Amazing Spidey comics in the near future. No more jumping to different writers for different arcs. It will be good to have a nice, consistent storyline.

JohngPR

I like Slott's work in Amazing but outside of Bob Gale, I think his arcs have been the worst compared to the other writers. Zeb Wells, Mark Waid, Fred Van Lente, and Joe Kelley have pretty much been knocking them out of the park in comparison.

Hopefully Slott can recapture the magic he had when he did the Spider-Man/Human Torch miniseries.

loving the game so far, I did a first chapters of Amazing, Noir and 2099. I am now at Ultimate

the biggest negatives I would give the game are:
the camera fucked-upery when you are Wall Crawling
the Walls the are disallowed for Wall Crawling

I generally feel that the Wall Crawling aspect of Spider-Man is the weakest in this Spidey game

EzLink

Banned
This game kicks ass. Halfway through Act 2, I'm absolutely loving it. Some of the levels can start to feel a tad drawn out, and the fluidity of Spideys movement isn't as good as it has been in previous games, but everything else is a blast. The flaws here actually aren't bothering me a whole lot, much to my surprise

I just hope there will eventually be some DLC

shwimpy

EzLink said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they purposely cut a Venom level from the game to make it a DLC. Hopefully they add Lizard, Chameleon, Kingpin or Rhino as well.

JohngPR

EzLink said:
This game kicks ass. Halfway through Act 2, I'm absolutely loving it. Some of the levels can start to feel a tad drawn out, and the fluidity of Spideys movement isn't as good as it has been in previous games, but everything else is a blast. The flaws here actually aren't bothering me a whole lot, much to my surprise

I guess that's the thing, Beenox has been able to work down the issues that plague all Spider-Man games down to something that's very manageable.

I'm thinking there will be DLC, especially considering that the game actively checks for downloadable content every time it boots up. That at least tells me that the hooks are in to allow DLC.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, who else didn't nerdgasm when they heard the VA for Amazing Spiderman and Friends for 2099? That took me back.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I've been playing this at my friend's house whenever I'm over there.

I really enjoy the 2099 sections, and the Amazing/Ultimate sections ain't bad either, but the Noir sections kinda suck. The takedown context sensitive stuff is janky, the stealth is really simplistic, and Vulture fight was...meh.

It's not a bad game, and it's certainly better than the last few Spider-man titles, but it's not a great game to me.

So far, the saving grace for the game is the challenge system, which is a great little mini-achievement system. Without that, the game would be deadly boring and very repetitive.

Spike

JohngPR said:
I like Slott's work in Amazing but outside of Bob Gale, I think his arcs have been the worst compared to the other writers. Zeb Wells, Mark Waid, Fred Van Lente, and Joe Kelley have pretty much been knocking them out of the park in comparison.

Hopefully Slott can recapture the magic he had when he did the Spider-Man/Human Torch miniseries.

Slott is the type of writer who needs to have a long run, I think. His condensed stories tend to be lacking.

Spike

Segata Sanshiro said:
As I mentioned a while ago *, it's a stage-based affair like the older games. No open world here!

(* All the way back in the OP, true believers! --Smilin' Segata)

Excelsior!

Platy

Spoiled myself the after credits stuff ....

my opinions :
This makes me angry ! Means that they knew ham existed, modeled him and STILL didn't made a dimension or unlockable costume with him >< a 2d plataformer with him would be the best dimension ever

The DS game is really good so far. Seems like it will be short based on how many items there are, but I'm fine with that. It's making me want to pick up the main version right now.

EzLink

Banned
The IGN video review mentioned something about a game breaking bug in the final level that a bunch of players will encounter... does anybody have any (non-spoiler) details on it, just so I know how to avoid it?

Spike

I bought the Wii version, and I am loving this game. I'm taking it slow because I don't want the game to end. :lol

I will be getting the 360 version also, once my friend finishes it, I'll buy it off him for the off chance that they add DLC for it.

Awesome, awesome game. The main issue with it for me is that you are mainly web zipping your way across the levels instead of swinging. But, everything else is so good, that I can overlook this. Let's hope Beenox gets another chance at this.

ajim

Wii version here, loving it so far. Spiderman Noir is bad ass and I could play a full length game based entirely around him and the setting hes in.

The little up-close punch ups on Wii version aren't too bad, I actually enjoy them.

Kick ass game so far, and I can see myself coming back to try and unlock everything too.

eshwaaz

Based on the positive comments here, I picked up the 360 version today. My first impressions were not good. The animators were clearly trying to capture the agility and speed of Spidey, but his movements ended up looking jerky, stiff and unnatural. There's just no grace to his motion; even the basic act of running around looks weightless and lacks any sense of inertia. The controls and camera are twitchy and overly-sensitive, with wall-crawling being especially terrible. The whole experience felt very unrefined - for the first half hour or so, I was having serious buyers remorse.

I am now on the fourth level (not including the tutorial) - and I am having a great time. The aforementioned issues are still there, but I've also experienced so many positive qualities that make it worth dealing with the shortcomings.

The combat becomes more and more enjoyable as you buy upgrades, with a surprising amount of moves at your disposal. The first-person segments are a fun change of pace, and are actually quite satisfying. The diversity in the visual design and gameplay mechanics is very impressive; Beenox did a tremendous job here. Animation aside, there are some very nice graphical touches; effects in particular look quite good. The challenges are rewarding; earning more points for upgrades is appealing and fun.

I'm only about 2 1/2 hours in, so my opinion could still change. So far, though, it's been a very pleasant surprise despite some unfortunate rough spots.

EzLink said:
The IGN video review mentioned something about a game breaking bug in the final level that a bunch of players will encounter... does anybody have any (non-spoiler) details on it, just so I know how to avoid it?

I believe this is it but during the fourth part of the final battle, if you swing towards and try to land on the 3 little platforms in front of the final boss, the camera goes completely nuts and you instantly die.

If anyone is having trouble with completing a noir level without an alarm, if your spotted just quit back to the main menu and then continue. The game won't count the alarm and you just continue from the last checkpoint.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Liking the game a lot myself, just got to Act 2, and only a few minor quirks really bother me.

The wall climbing seems to be such a minor part of the overall game that it isn't quite fair to call it out so hard(even if the camera does blow doing it). I've definitely been more frustrated with trying to land some of the grapple points. The game often handles that stuff well, but now and again Spidey won't respond to my trigger taps and it is SOOOO frustrating. Occasionally a lot of the controls tend to feel delayed on occasion which bugs me a lot, noticeably the straight vertical webjump(which the game doesn't at all telegraph very well if an invisible wall will let you use it or not). Just a lot of general quirks in the webslinging management, nothing outrageous, but occasional groan sessions.

Combat is fluid and has a nice balance of mashing, dodging, and approach options. Most of the tougher foes require a nice bit of foresight to overcome, and the bosses have been nothing short of nifty puzzle interactions.

It's pretty much a modern upgrade to the great PS1 Spiderman games. Very scripted with some light room for trinket collection and combat exploration. The levels and boss encounters are very creative and diverse, and I'm very happy with the pickup.

Spike

Brandon F said:
Liking the game a lot myself, just got to Act 2, and only a few minor quirks really bother me.

The wall climbing seems to be such a minor part of the overall game that it isn't quite fair to call it out so hard(even if the camera does blow doing it). I've definitely been more frustrated with trying to land some of the grapple points. The game often handles that stuff well, but now and again Spidey won't respond to my trigger taps and it is SOOOO frustrating. Occasionally a lot of the controls tend to feel delayed on occasion which bugs me a lot, noticeably the straight vertical webjump(which the game doesn't at all telegraph very well if an invisible wall will let you use it or not). Just a lot of general quirks in the webslinging management, nothing outrageous, but occasional groan sessions.

Combat is fluid and has a nice balance of mashing, dodging, and approach options. Most of the tougher foes require a nice bit of foresight to overcome, and the bosses have been nothing short of nifty puzzle interactions.

It's pretty much a modern upgrade to the great PS1 Spiderman games. Very scripted with some light room for trinket collection and combat exploration. The levels and boss encounters are very creative and diverse, and I'm very happy with the pickup.

And here I thought it was something just added into the Wii version to make use of the pointer controls. :lol

That's one area that works great on the Wii, thankfully.

Spike

Sadist said:
The Wii version is actually good? Will buy eventually.

Wii version is a lower res version of the HD version. Oh, and the Amazing Spidey levels are cel-shaded, and look gorgeous!

EzLink

Banned
Only two levels left in Act 3! Too early to say for sure, but this may end up becoming my favorite Spidey game. I just love how every level is designed around a villain, and the boss battles usually span multiple encounters throughout the level. The combat just gets deeper and deeper the more challenges you unlock, and the atmosphere is pretty close to perfect in each dimension.

I just want some more costumes as DLC! Three extra costumes per universe isn't quite enough to satisfy my alternate suit whoring needs. But still a lot better than most games usually offer in that category

I've read a lot of positive impressions about the final level of the game too. Glad to hear this has a satisfying end

KevinCow

Banned
Can anyone with the DS version help me out with this last health upgrade?
It's in 2099, right in the center of the map. It's blocked by a speed boost door, but I can't see anywhere I could possibly build up speed.

faridmon

Spike said:
Wii version is a lower res version of the HD version. Oh, and the Amazing Spidey levels are cel-shaded, and look gorgeous!
So the Wii version is exactly like the HD version when the levels and the overall game package are concerned?

how was WoS on the Wii?

crap, no money at the moment as I really wanted to get the DS version :(, will get it eventually.

Sadist

Spike said:
:O

Really getting it now. SD will be my first Spidey game since Spider-Man on PSone.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Segata Sanshiro said:
Ehn, there are more unlockable costumes in this game than there were in Spider-Man PSX.

That game had:

Scarlet Spider
Spider-Ben
Spidey 2099
Amazing Bag-Man
Captain Universe
Peter Parker
Quick Change Spidey
Spider-Man Unlimited
Symbiote Spidey

This is easily the most fan service-packed Spidey game yet.

But remember that each of those costumes had a special power with it. not so much with shattered dimensions. Spider-man unlimited was such a cool costume

Too bad Spider-man unlimited costume isn't in shattered dimensions, it had a cool cloak power in the first spider-man game for the psx.

eb10dc07.gif

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Great to read all thse impresions! I'm going to GameFly with the intent to possibly keep.

Anyone comment how difficult a Platnium/100% is to achieve in his game?

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
I just beat it. (360 version)

I didn't encounter any glitch on the last level for what its worth.

Overall it's a decent action game. Graphics are fantastic for Amazing and Noir levels, and ok for 2099 and Ultimate.

I really miss the free roaming and web swinging.

Noir sections are a lot of fun but could use a bit more depth. Amazing, Ultimate and 2099 really play very similarly at their core, so the game felt like it was a drag.

Good game, but now that I've beaten it I don't know if I would play it again.

Played the first two levels. Pretty fun actually. I hate both of the boss fights I've been through, but I had a good time all in all.

I really don't miss the open-ended shit. I'll take a tightly focused game with more to do.

Playing the first Noir level made me want to replay Arkham Asylum.

Spike

faridmon said:
So the Wii version is exactly like the HD version when the levels and the overall game package are concerned?

Yes. It is only in a lower resolution.

how was WoS on the Wii?

Honestly, I have it in my pile of shame. I tried it a little way back when I got it, but that voice turned me off.

crap, no money at the moment as I really wanted to get the DS version :(, will get it eventually.

Yeah, I'd love to get the DS version, too. Unfortunately, the stores in my area were short shipped on it and only got 1-2 copies which were snatched up by the workers. :(

Spike

sweetvar26 said:
How long will it take to beat the game on Easy or the lowest difficulty?

I'm playing on normal, and each level has taken me anywhere between 35-50 minutes to complete. There are 13 story levels plus a training level.

JohngPR

For those that didn't get in on the K-mart deal (is it still going on?), saw the game on sale at Target for $49.99:

snv.jpg

Adam Prime said:
Anyone comment how difficult a Platnium/100% is to achieve in his game?

Haven't finished it yet, but from what I've seen, pretty hard to 100%. Specifically the one to get a platinum ranking on each level on hard.

Most of the achievements/trophies are pretty easy though.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just hit act 3. Open world fans will find a bit of solace in the deadpool level which gives spider a pretty big area to explore without to many linear constraints unlike the other levels. It isn't NYC, but the oil rig is rather large and a bit freeform in terms of objectives.

I'm playing through on hard and each level has taken far more than an hour each to complete. I am mostly grinding out objectives while doing them, searching collectibles and whatnot, but it's s beefy game.

Expect to play each level 3-4 times to get plat/1000 too. To get all medals u have to do speedruns as well as get collectibles and a good combat score all on hard diff. Plat medals only appear on hard diff. It's a doable challenge especially once spidey is maxed out.

Spike

KevinCow said:
It's in 2099, right in the center of the map. It's blocked by a speed boost door, but I can't see anywhere I could possibly build up speed.

Can you please give some impressions of the DS version?

Finished the DS version yesterday and really liked it. Will play it again, but first boss rush to unlock the extra costumes. Combat surprised me because of how much fun it was. when you build up a combo and your momentum is maxed out, it all looks really slick.

only two complaints I really have are the touch screen mini-game when switching between dimensions/spider-men. It gets old and happens too frequently. The other is that some of the hidden things in Noir are a bit hard to spot compared to Amazing or 2099 due to the art style.

KevinCow said:

that one confused me at first. You need to
start from the screen below it and web zip around the corners. The one fault with the training area is they don't teach you how to web zip around corners while dashing.

KevinCow

Banned
Just finished the DS game. Thoughts:

+ Spidey is really fun to control. Swinging, zipping, and combat all feel tight and natural. Not a big fan of gliding, though.

+ Combat is essentially 2D Devil May Cry with Spider-Man. I said in my earlier impressions that it can get a bit repetitive because it's easy to find a handful of moves that work on certain enemies and keep using them, and while that's true, it doesn't work out nearly as well when you're facing multiple enemies. Enemies will hit or shoot you out of a combo if you let them. It can be tough.

+ I love how they made new techniques pickups that you find instead of something you buy in a menu. You don't have to grind for experience, and they're some of the more exciting pickups to find because you have a new toy to experiment with next time you get into a fight.

+ A decent amount of content. The challenge maps are fun, but really hard. There are a bunch of challenges to unlock stuff. These include typical runs of this kind of Metroidvania game, like a low percent run and a couple "beat the game in a certain amount of time" runs. Finishing this game 100% would require some dedication. Doubt I'll ever do it.

+ The game looks very nice. Obviously you have to take into account the fact that it's on the DS, but they worked with the limitations and it overall looks good. I especially love the way Spider-Man animates.

+ Boss fights are fun and challenging, as you might expect. I died to most of them at least once before I figured out their patterns, and even then I still just squeezed through.

+ The first Spidey game in years that doesn't feature symbiotes in any way. No black suit, no Venom, no Carnage. Look, I like Venom as much as the next guy, but does he really need to be in every game?

- Despite having a decent amount of content, the core game is really short, and the map is pretty small. There aren't really different "areas" like you'd expect in this type of game, just the three different dimensions, one for each Spider-Man (there's no Ultimate in this version), and all three are quite small. Or maybe it just seems so small because you can cover ground so fast compared to other games. Either way, I wish there was a bit more to explore.

- Really only two types of enemies: little guys and big guys. They have several different skins of varying strengths, and little guys can pick up weapons, but their attack patterns remain the same. There are also little drones who take one hit to kill, but they hardly count.

- While I like that you no longer have to grind for experience so a combo multiplier would be pointless, the lack of a combo counter at all is a tad disappointing. I like trying to get that number as high as I can, even if it doesn't actually apply to anything.

- Touch screen mini-game while traveling between dimensions. Every single time. Come on now, it's 2010. I thought we were over this. Your game doesn't need to have touch screen mini-games just because it's on the DS.

- Boss lineup is different from the console version. Not inherently a bad thing, but a lot of them feel like second- or third-stingers at best. The console version gets most of Spidey's big bads plus Deadpool, while the DS version get, what, Calypso? Boomerang? Tinkerer?

- With one exception, all exploration-related power-ups are either A) something that one or both of the other Spider-Men started the game with, or B) are basically keys that have literally no function except breaking some sort of barrier to let you advance. Though in the game's defense, I guess it's hard to come up with good new traversal abilities for a character who can stick to walls and swing pretty much anywhere from the start.

Overall, a really fun game. Hopefully this team stays on for the next DS Spider-Man game. If not, hopefully they keep up the good work elsewhere.

VAIL

Grabbed the Wii version today, looks really good and is a blast to play.

It goes to show that it's a shame that Wii in it's early life was an ps2 up port machine rather than a downport from the 360/PS3 the difference really shows.

shaowebb

This...wow...this looks awesome. Anyone know if web of shadows measures up to this? I won't even bother with "Friend of Foe".

Top Bottom