• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist |OT| Warning: May Contain Trace Amounts Of Stealth

Gaz_RB

I see you too have adopted the Phantom Player and Perfectionist logos. Welcome to the fold.

These guys take Splinter Cell very seriously... one of the quotes in some guy's sig says "Splinter Cell isn't just a game, it's a way of life"

+ These guys' signatures are longer than most of their posts...

Just found my entertainment for the rest of the night...

Sober

(which was hilarious because the bullet damage on Normal in Conviction PC can be pretty deadly but if you play your cards right you may get some damage, and then melee someone in the face after meleeing the dude near them the first time. Detected->kill->last known position->move to a new position, mark and execute.)
I was watching someone play the 2nd mission in Blacklist on normal, he was moving too fast right behind an enemy, causing him to freak out and instantly vapourized him with like 3 AK bullets at near-point blank. So yeah.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I was watching someone play the 2nd mission in Blacklist on normal, he was moving too fast right behind an enemy, causing him to freak out and instantly vapourized him with like 3 AK bullets at near-point blank. So yeah.

I died a few times straight up rushing the enemy to gain execution points. In the middle of "executing" the melee I'd take straight up bullet damage and then die right after the animation finished. It kinda impressed me a little. Double-so when there was more than 4 enemies (since that's the max any gun can M&E in Conviction) and so at the end of your M&E animation/slowdown if anyone is still alive they'd probably have pinged you to death and so Sam dies after that animation.

There was also dying because I couldn't double-melee quickly enough. Melee a dude, then attempt to melee the other only for them to counter it (which seems to be a sure thing on Perfectionist in Blacklist?) and then promptly shoot me before Sam can melee attempt again.

Grisby

Getting kind of excited. Mostly been playing a lot of Dragons Crown and Demons Souls lately so I'm ready for some shootin' and sneakin'.

Darmik

It was the noise that stuffed him over right? That's great news if so, that was one of my major complaints with Conviction.

Official forums sure are weird. At least they're excited I guess? I'll probably do a Panther role in my first game. I was never too fussed going non-lethal with the guards unless they were innocent. The Ghost/Non-lethal will be great for a second playthrough if the game is fun enough though.

Gaz_RB

So there are some kind of terrorist hunt co op modes in addition to the co op campaign right? Or is that it?

Yeah, there are these three different characters on the Paladin that assign side missions that are basically Ghost, Assault, and Hunter deniable ops coop missions, and spawns are randomized and such for replayability

TheSeks

What makes me hope the game is better than Pooviction is the fact that Sam
despite being nearly 60 so slightly unrealistic
is highly mobile compared to that outing. If I'm able to clamber over things and take a roof route to avoid most enemies, great. It seems they've taken cues from Spy vs Merc and implemented them into the singleplayer which should be a net benefit for going around enemies without having to actively engage them.

Look what I found in my old PC games library.

jbyTE2Sze9THQ3.jpg

I wish the stealth game play was how I remember it from the first game.

Watching a live stream right now on twitch.....wtf have you done UBI?

SPOILER BELOW.....It reveals a game mechanic in the later stages of the game. The spoiler is in NO way related to the story or any characters of the game.

You are forced to play from a FIRST PERSON PERSPECTIVE for a portion of a mission.

God damn it UBI.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Can you still grab mercs from behind and speak to them through the headset? Half my strategy in old school spies vs mercs was psychological warfare.

Haha my mate and I used to have a rort doing this. Sadly he's on 360 this gen and I switched to PS3. Hopefully I find a decent partner in similar timezone for some regular sessions

haikira

SPOILER BELOW.....It reveals a game mechanic in the later stages of the game. The spoiler is in NO way related to the story or any characters of the game.

You are forced to play from a FIRST PERSON PERSPECTIVE for a portion of a mission.

God damn it UBI.

ilbkkgegmqt2u9hyua.gif

Still hyped for the game, but that doesn't sound like a section I'm going to love.

Sojgat

God damn it UBI.

I already threw a hissy fit over this in the review thread. It's just one of several sections that vary up the gameplay in unwelcome ways. The biggest problem with the story missions is how every single one of them gets interrupted, at least twice, by a 5 minute cutscene. I really hope those things are skippable.

God damn it UBI.
(non-story spoiler)
Considering that this is how spy versus mercs works (with spies in third person and mercs in first person) doesn't it make some sense to introduce, reinforce and reuse this mechanic in the single player? And its only for a very short segment isn't it?

I don't get why there's a fuss.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
(non-story spoiler)
Considering that this is how spy versus mercs works (with spies in third person and mercs in first person) doesn't it make some sense to introduce, reinforce and reuse this mechanic in the single player? And its only for a very short segment isn't it?

i agree. I am really enjoying the game so far. No tearing on the wii u version but theres some really bad framerate drops when action is heavy and the load times are terrible.

Game is great though. you can do nearly every single area how you want. Im going complete non lethal and stealth, and man, it is hard in places

Sober

(non-story spoiler)

Reasonable discussion ain't welcome 'round this here parts, mister.

God damn it UBI.

LOL. They just couldnt help themselves.

i agree. I am really enjoying the game so far. No tearing on the wii u version but theres some really bad framerate drops when action is heavy and the load times are terrible.

Game is great though. you can do nearly every single area how you want. Im going complete non lethal and stealth, and man, it is hard in places
Are the load times terrible on every version?, because the let's plays on YouTube of the 360 version don't look great either. Could you look those up and compare? I only have 24 hours to choose!

No not yet. I used the promo code that was generated to buy Blacklist for free from the Ubisoft shop. It gave me a code for Conviction but nothing for Blacklist. It's not on my games UPlay account yet either. I sent an email to support to confirm what was happening though so should find out during the week.

Hey, did they ever respond? Wondering how this will happen too.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, did they ever respond? Wondering how this will happen too.

Not yet, support only works Monday - Friday. I bought it via the Ubisoft shop and apparently if you don't buy it via UPlay it doesn't appear in your games list. The only code I got was for Convicition but I've already got it on UPlay as I bought the retail disk a long time ago. I tried to redeem the Conviction code anyway and it said it had been used already for some reason. Tried a few times and got locked from my UPlay account for 60mins (was able to access it again after that time). So basically just waiting to see what support says.

Not yet, support only works Monday - Friday. I bought it via the Ubisoft shop and apparently if you don't buy it via UPlay it doesn't appear in your games list. The only code I got was for Convicition but I've already got it on UPlay as I bought the retail disk a long time ago. I tried to redeem the Conviction code anyway and it said it had been used already for some reason. Tried a few times and got locked from my UPlay account for 60mins (was able to access it again after that time). So basically just waiting to see what support says.

Sounds wonderful haha. I literally followed the instructions I was given and did it on ubishop too. I have the receipt but nothing on my uplay app yet, hope this doesn't turn into a run around. I have conviction but no recognition of owning blacklist eg. searching the uplay shop gives me a price beside it.

EDIT: I've sent a query myself too, so we'll see.

God damn it UBI.

Yep and its not so bad. Isnt it?

DrBo42

are you
sneaking during said first person mode gameplay? and why does it happen anyway?

It's been covered in review footage and it's not really a big deal but I'll tag it anyway

It's a section you play as Briggs(Is that his name?) your new ex-CIA dead-eyed black guy

Why? Because the Iraq level from Conviction was amazing and it's pushing it a step further!

Sojgat

are you
sneaking during said first person mode gameplay? and why does it happen anyway?

There's a mission where you switch between Sam and another character (Briggs), who plays from a first-person view, as they defuse a series of bombs together. You can play Briggs' sections using stealth, but they're basically just straight tunnels, populated with a bunch of heavily armed soldiers. You switch to Briggs twice, both times very briefly.

I plan on Phantom-Hawking that shit.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Are the load times terrible on every version?, because the let's plays on YouTube of the 360 version don't look great either. Could you look those up and compare? I only have 24 hours to choose!

Have you got a link that I could check? for a 360 load screen. When you first load the game it genuinely feels like a minute or more to get into the actual game. IE before you launch from the main planes deck, also when you upgrade your plane it loads for a long time to load back to plane with the upgrades. The game looks great on wii u, it just really bogs down if it kicks off and an explosion happens with like 5-6 guys shooting at you. otherwise it's completely playable. It deffo looks native 720p to me, but I am not pixel counter. no jaggies or anything A very crisp image. I do have a stupid pc so that may be why I am noticing the framerate. seems to hover at around 30 on the plane etc, but I would say it drops to 15 or so when the explosions go off and you die.

Framerate in Wii U ver. is 60FPS?

no chance lol

B4D1E

Just went and buy the game(on 360) during my lunch break. So excited for tonight ( but not much for tomorrow morning...). No mention of a mandatory installation on the backside of the case. Only the "2mb to save game" mention.

Does anyone know if we can/will be able to buy the "exclusive content" by DLC?

danielcw

So, when will Nvidia code users be able to get the game?
At midnight, UTC?

Still no sign of Uplay on the Steam Store page, except a copyright notice.
And the system requirements, which do not include a required internet connection, were confirmed on Ubi forums.

Jackpot

Banned
Trailer: "Would you inflict terror in exchange for freedom?"

*montage of Sam torturing people*

Guess they didn't learn from the E3 backlash.

Reasonable discussion ain't welcome 'round this here parts, mister.
Just a note....I already have the PC AND 360 version pre ordered.

It's also not a Sam section so it makes sense kinda.

How does it make sense? Isnt his partner a spy just like Sam? Also when you play Briggs in Co-Op you arent forced to used this mechanic.

My biggest issue is how they force you to use this mechanic with that particular character. It makes no sense.
Why not have you play as a Merc in first person to tie some of part of story together?
I know the series has evolved but it still shouldn't excuse sloppy story telling that breaks the flow of the game.

TheSeks

(non-story spoiler)

(Non-game spoiler)
Some of us aren't going to touch the multiplayer,
shocking I know.

(Okay, that's a lie. I may try it out but it's never grabbed me like Ass Creed's did)

Top Bottom