• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist |OT| Warning: May Contain Trace Amounts Of Stealth

jet1911

What content is excluded from the WiiU version exactly? Are the coop missions out entirely or is it just impossible to play them locally?

Rolfgang

What content is excluded from the WiiU version exactly? Are the coop missions out entirely or is it just impossible to play them locally?

From what I've read, only local co-op is not in the WiiU-version, the rest is all just the same as the other versions. So I guess online co-op is still in the WiiU-version.

Watching a live stream right now on twitch.....wtf have you done UBI?

SPOILER BELOW.....It reveals a game mechanic in the later stages of the game. The spoiler is in NO way related to the story or any characters of the game.

You are forced to play from a FIRST PERSON PERSPECTIVE for a portion of a mission.

God damn it UBI.

Hah sounds even dumber than I expected.

Sober

Maybe they can make a nice, paragraph-long signature about it!

gq9mtxel.png

Not actually a Sam Fisher quote.

Just as a brief update for the nvidia promotion users, I did get a small response from ubi, still waiting on them getting back to me with a full answer. I simply asked when and how should be expecting access to Blacklist, explained I got Conviction fine and blacklist was on the order receipt but no information how to get it when the time came, still shows up in the shop with a price etc., and they responded asking me to take a digital picture of the nvidia blacklist card i got with my graphics card.

Slightly disconcerting there could be any question that I was legit since I gave them order number, a query from my account, shows I have conviction etc, but I hold out hope this will sort itself smoothly.

NuKERxyz

Can anyone lead me to WIi U reviews of this? I mean real Wii U reviews, not that crap saying that Wii U version does this or that, cause i already know the diferences; just curious to read how does it stand against the other versions.

Double D

Just as a brief update for the nvidia promotion users, I did get a small response from ubi, still waiting on them getting back to me with a full answer. I simply asked when and how should be expecting access to Blacklist, explained I got Conviction fine and blacklist was on the roder receipt but no information how to get it when the time came, still shows up in the shop with a price etc., and they responded asking me to take a digital picture of the nvidia blacklist card i got with my graphics card.

Slightly disconcerting there could be any question that I was legit since I gave them order number, a query from my account, shows I have convictionubishop
, but I hold out hope this will sort itself smoothly.

Sorry, I haven't been following your previous posts. I redeemed a Nvidia code and as I 'checked out' of the store it showed I was 'buying' both Conviction and Blacklist, only Blacklist isn't showing up under 'My Games' right now in Uplay. Is this what you're talking about? I just assumed it would show up once released.

twisted89

Sorry, I haven't been following your previous posts. I redeemed a Nvidia code and as I 'checked out' of the store it showed I was 'buying' both Conviction and Blacklist, only Blacklist isn't showing up under 'My Games' right now in Uplay. Is this what you're talking about? I just assumed it would show up once released.

I bought it straight from the store and have the same problem, did a quick search and seems that uplay doesn't show pre-order games until release so I don't think there's anything to worry about.

Yea, pretty much man haha. there's no drama really, just no one seems to know if it'll jsut show up or some sort of action will be expected/what that would be. I was hoping they would literally jsut email me back saying it'd show itself but instead they asked for picture proof and I haven't heard back since. Shop seems to be down too, so who knows. UK here btw, so I'm not actually expecting my copy til friday. I just wanted to figure out now if there was a code or something I should have had.

I bought it straight from the store and have the same problem, did a quick search and seems that uplay doesn't show pre-order games until release so I don't think there's anything to worry about.

Yeah, I would stop worrying, doniewhalberg. My cousin and I both redeemed Nvidia codes and only have Conviction in our Uplay libraries. Just wait 'til release and it'll be there.

Yeah I got a response from Ubisoft support saying it would appear on UPlay at release.

Guh, sorry guys. As I mentioned, I never use uplay so had no idea either way. Thanks anyhow, at least you all answered quicker than ubi.
Thanks for that info! I don't really use uplay and would have got this on steam if not for the promotion so had no idea, and they didn't really say haha.

Afro

Yeah, I would stop worrying, doniewhalberg. My cousin and I both redeemed Nvidia codes and only have Conviction in our Uplay libraries. Just wait 'til release and it'll be there.

Sober

Not GAF impressions but just as good (from SA):

Megaman's Jockstrap said:
7 Things You Should Know About Splinter Cell: Blacklist Single Player:
  • The levels are mostly extremely great and approach Chaos Theory levels of non-linearity at several points. There's even some where you sneak around in live firefights (and yes, the two sides are dynamic, move around, and take non-scripted casualties if you do nothing).
  • The destruction of Sam Fisher as a character and the reduction of the Splinter Cell world to Call-of-Duty levels of shit is complete. They started the job in Double Agent, nearly finished in Conviction, and now it's done. The game is full-blown drink-the-Kool-Aid jingoistic nonsense. No one in this game talks to each other like an adult, they bark a series of military-jargon/spy thriller dialogue back and forth. Sam has gone from a fairly low-key laid back cynical dude to a typical military dipshit leading man who says things like "The mission comes first!" Also he tortures people. I don't want to get off on a tear about this game's disgusting morality so I won't.
  • There's an annoying progression system, you have to buy things with cash now. There's easily more stuff than you could buy in two full playthroughs although a lot of that is camo colorings and loud guns that you probably don't care about.
  • You really can play this game like a third person shooter or like a typical Spinter Cell game, or a combination of the two. It's Dishonored level-good at supporting both styles. As a shooter it plays very well although it is VERY lethal on anything above normal. If you play stealth and screw up you die, just like in Chaos Theory.
  • They ripped off Mass Effect 2. A lot. Between missions you walk around the ship and talk to your crew. It's horrible military garbage with uninteresting characters. Really makes me appreciate Bioware's writing, which should give you some indication of how bad this is. Sam even looks like the default male Commander Shepard now. Weird.
  • There's a lot of single player and co-op content. Co-op split screen works absolutely fantastic, btw.
  • Remember how they said you can play through the whole game without killing anyone? You can't. Occasionally you take control of other characters (there's even a brief first person shooter interlude - you can still use stealth, and it's very short, so it's mostly just for variety) and these other characters don't have non-lethal options. They straight-up murder dudes.

Gaz_RB

Just a note....I already have the PC AND 360 version pre ordered.

How does it make sense? Isnt his partner a spy just like Sam? Also when you play Briggs in Co-Op you arent forced to used this mechanic.

My biggest issue is how they force you to use this mechanic with that particular character. It makes no sense.
Why not have you play as a Merc in first person to tie some of part of story together?
I know the series has evolved but it still shouldn't excuse sloppy story telling that breaks the flow of the game.

Why don't you wait until you play the section before critiquing it? It doesn't add much to your argument when haven't actually seen the context that the scene is in. Maybe it fits perfectly and isn't "sloppy story telling". Briggs has been advertised as being the one that is willing to get his hands dirty. Not saying it does, and I'll be right with you if the scene actually sucks, but maybe the way the sequence works fits just fine.

Don't knock it til you try it. Should be the moral of pre release game discussion....

Megaman's Jockstrap said:
The destruction of Sam Fisher as a character and the reduction of the Splinter Cell world to Call-of-Duty levels of shit is complete. They started the job in Double Agent, nearly finished in Conviction, and now it's done. The game is full-blown drink-the-Kool-Aid jingoistic nonsense. No one in this game talks to each other like an adult, they bark a series of military-jargon/spy thriller dialogue back and forth. Sam has gone from a fairly low-key laid back cynical dude to a typical military dipshit leading man who says things like "The mission comes first!" Also he tortures people. I don't want to get off on a tear about this game's disgusting morality so I won't.

Oh please. I nearly rolled my eyeballs out of my head while reading this.

That is completely true. Dialogs are at Call of Duty level at best. Worst part of the game. Especially Sam is annoying.

I don't see what the big deal is. Yes, the military jargon is silly, but it's exactly what one should expect from a Tom Clancy game. That guy's acting like the SC series had some sort of absorbing plot.

There's absolutely nothing that bad about the writing in the COD series either.

swnny

I have to agree with this. Sam is no more Sam at all. He used to be cynic with dark humor, even when interrogating. Now there ain't dialogues like
"Anna: The Maria Narcissa.
Fisher: You are not setting me up for another blind date, I hope.
Anna: The Maria Narcissa is a boat.
Fisher: So was the last girl you set me up with.
Anna: Fisher!
Fisher: Sorry. "

and

Lambert: Doesn't sound too good down there Fisher
Fisher: The sound isn't the problem... you should smell it...
Lambert: You're sure he's dead?
Fisher: Deader than Elvis!
are no more, and even if there are few, they ain't with Ironside's voice, which completly kills off the character for me.
That's why i'm not that interested in the camping, be it solo or coop. The SvM multi is another story, and given the fact that I have more then 1000 hours in PT's SvM, and even twice if not more in CT's multiplayer, I really, really hope this one turns out decent, because it's just one of a kind... and I really miss it. :(

Sober

I have to agree with this. Sam is no more Sam at all. He used to be cynic with dark humor, even when interrogating. Now there ain't dialogues like

are no more, and even if there are few, they ain't with Ironside's voice, which completly kills off the character for me.
That's why i'm not that interested in the camping, be it solo or coop. The SvM multi is another story, and given the fact that I have more then 1000 hours in PT's SvM, and even twice if not more in CT's multiplayer, I really, really hope this one turns out decent, because it's just one of a kind... and I really miss it. :(
Sorry, is probably SvM is going to be terrible and disappointing to you if you go by my comparison chart in the OP.

swnny

Sorry, is probably SvM is going to be terrible and disappointing to you if you go by my comparison chart in the OP.

I have a little hope for the "classic 2v2" mode, and I keep my expectations as low as possible to net get disappointed. But even disappointed, i'll waste good amount of hours in it, only because there is no other alternative. In SCCT for the PC there are like 15-20 players total in peak hours, SCDA for PC is dead, and for 360 it takes ages to find a match...

Sounds like this character will never be Sam Fisher, even if he shares the same name for some strange reason. You can't simply replace Ironside and ditch all the character that went with it. /boromir

But as I spent most of my time in Conviction's non-campaign modes without Ironside's deep tones, I think I'll live. The endless jargon spouting sounds groan worthy and creatively bankrupt, but am actually looking forward to the progression system and hoping for some noticeable differences via loadout choices.

Sober

^^^ e: yes press and hold melee

Sounds like this character will never be Sam Fisher, even if he shares the same name for some strange reason. You can't simply replace Ironside and ditch all the character that went with it. /boromir

But as I spent most of my time in Conviction's non-campaign modes without Ironside's deep tones, I think I'll live. The endless jargon spouting sounds groan worthy and creatively bankrupt, but am actually looking forward to the progression system and hoping for some noticeable differences via loadout choices.
It's up in the air if the fans are going to make a big enough stink about it now that "their precious game is less like Conviction now" to notice if Sam Fisher is now just played super Call of Duty straight. If they get a better writer they might be able to poke some more humanity out of Sam Fisher/the other characters but then this would anger the fans because they don't want character development, they just want Sam Fisher black humour and quips throughout the whole game with little to no consequence. But that would be an improvement anyway.

Splinter Cell: Baby Steps.

Gaz_RB

Yup, I agree.

------------------------------------------------

789pixhn.jpg

newavatarsign7a6w.jpg

ffxxnz3n.jpg

Now that I've seen your sig, I feel like I know you better as a person. You forgot to say whether you were going Panther or Jaguar or Poltergiest in Blacklist though...
Here you go.
image.php

Sober said:
^^^ e: yes press and hold melee

Thanks, glad you can still do that.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
It's up in the air if the fans are going to make a big enough stink about it now that "their precious game is less like Conviction now" to notice if Sam Fisher is now just played super Call of Duty straight. If they get a better writer they might be able to poke some more humanity out of Sam Fisher/the other characters but then this would anger the fans because they don't want character development, they just want Sam Fisher black humour and quips throughout the whole game with little to no consequence. But that would be an improvement anyway.

Splinter Cell: Baby Steps.

Come on man, I know you're bitter at us old-school fans. But you can have black humor and character development. Blame Ubisoft's writers, not the fans.

I got to play a couple missions. I liked what I played overall. Definitely an improvement over Conviction. I "ghosted" my way through the majority of levels. It was nice to sneak around entire sections without even disturbing the enemy AI. Nice that the game actually rewards you for doing so as well. Though there are sections of the game that force you into enemy encounters. At least you have the option to mark and execute with non-lethal weapons also. The ranking system I am still trying to understand. I would ghost an entire level and still not get a gold ranking. I think the game wants you to silent takedown enemies and use gadgets in different ways, it all counts towards a ghost ranking.

The start of the game really holds your hand. But seriously, I don't think the button prompts ever go away just like conviction. Yes, I know that pressing "A" will cause me to climb or take cover. I never checked if it was something that could be turned off. It should even be there if playing on a higher difficulty.

Sober

Is there even a tutorial prompt to tell you to shift into a slower speed when crouched? I keep watching videos of people playing going full speed even when crouched and having the AI pretty much turn around and forcing a takedown.

GutsOfThor

I completely forgot I had pre-ordered this through Newegg a while back and just got an email saying that my item was shipped and my payment was charged. LoL

Skunkers

Game is about paramilitary spy who spends basically the entire game carrying out covert spy missions. Yet it's stupid he uses military jargon.

Seems legit.

Game is about paramilitary spy who spends basically the entire game carrying out covert spy missions. Yet it's stupid he uses military jargon.

Seems legit.

While i admire your sarcastic post, the complaints are not because they use military jargon but because they talk like dudebros. First three games used military jargon as well but nobody complained.

Why don't you wait until you play the section before critiquing it? It doesn't add much to your argument when haven't actually seen the context that the scene is in. Maybe it fits perfectly and isn't "sloppy story telling". Briggs has been advertised as being the one that is willing to get his hands dirty. Not saying it does, and I'll be right with you if the scene actually sucks, but maybe the way the sequence works fits just fine.

Don't knock it til you try it. Should be the moral of pre release game discussion....

I watched that particular section being played via twitch stream. It looked frustrating and clumsy. He was pretty good at the game and had to restart quite a few times.

I don't need to play that section myself to see that it's janky

Top Bottom