• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist |OT| Warning: May Contain Trace Amounts Of Stealth

Malvingt2

I am enjoying this game so much. I did the first 3 Blacklist mission. Safehouse is my favorite so far. It is a shame what is going on with the WiiU version. I want to play online so bad :(

Playing some Spies vs Mercs now that I've finished the campaign and while I wait for my co op partner to do the rest of Charlie's, Grim's and Kobin's missions (finished Briggs missions, pretty great).

It's a lot of fun, but it's insane how many people just ragequit. Also the Mercs seem a little TOO weak, and I think they need a quicker spawn time.
I'm a pretty great Spy but a pretty shitty merc...

haikira

My steam version has just suddenly stopped working. =S

It'll just try to launch the game, then immediately bring up that Uplay screen you'll seen, when you've finished playing a game. It just says I've been playing for 0 hours and 0 minutes, of course.

I've tried restarting my PC and verifying the integrity of the game cache. Apart from surfing Neogaf, I've literally done nothing since I played it earlier and I've no idea why it's doing this now.

Stupid Uplay.

So there's this list of the co op missions from a wiki:

Coop: (16 maps: 14 coop maps + 2 DLC maps from pre-orders)

1. Kigali, Rwanda (Russian Embassy / Charlie Mission)

2. Pihtla, Estonia (Hacker's Den / Grim Mission)

3. Sana'a, Yemen (Pakistani Embassy / Charlie Mission)

4. Amman, Jordan (Swiss Embassy / Charlie Mission)

5. Istanbul, Turkey (Fish Market / Kobin Mission)

6. English Channel (Hawkins Seafort / Grim Mission)

7. Bangalore, India (Missile Plant / Briggs Mission)

8. Faryab Province, Afghanistan (Opium Farm / Kobin Mission)

9. Lupton Island, Australlia (Billionaire's Yacht / Grim Mission)

10. Kanghastan / Aral Sea (Dead Coast / Kobin Mission)

11. Kargil District, Kashmir (Smuggler's Compound / Briggs Mission)

12. Chittagong, Bangladesh (Voron Station / Briggs Mission)

13. Koltsovo Naukograd, Russia (Abandoned City / Briggs Mission)

14. Sharoysky District, Chechnya (Border Crossing / Grim Mission)

15. Bratislava, Slovakia (Egyptian Embassy / Charlie Mission)

16. Mibonde, Equatorial Guinea (Blood Diamond Mine / Kobin Mission)​

I think I must be missing some of them, do they all unlock sequentially when you finish the previous one? Also which 2 are the DLC missions, does anyone know?

Afro

My steam version has just suddenly stopped working. =S

It'll just try to launch the game, then immediately bring up that Uplay screen you'll seen, when you've finished playing a game. It just says I've been playing for 0 hours and 0 minutes, of course.

I've tried restarting my PC and verifying the integrity of the game cache. Apart from surfing Neogaf, I've literally done nothing since I played it earlier and I've no idea why it's doing this now.

Stupid Uplay.

i'm assumig you've tried this already:

GO TO:

1: C:\Users\yournamehere\Documents\Ubisoft\­Blacklist\videoSettings.ini

2: Change "WindowStyleFinal=1" option to 0 or 2.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
i'm assumig you've tried this already:

GO TO:

1: C:\Users\yournamehere\Documents\Ubisoft\­Blacklist\videoSettings.ini

2: Change "WindowStyleFinal=1" option to 0 or 2.

Find a way for my controller to stop dropping and I'd love you.

Playing some Spies vs Mercs now that I've finished the campaign and while I wait for my co op partner to do the rest of Charlie's, Grim's and Kobin's missions (finished Briggs missions, pretty great).

It's a lot of fun, but it's insane how many people just ragequit. Also the Mercs seem a little TOO weak, and I think they need a quicker spawn time.
I'm a pretty great Spy but a pretty shitty merc...

It doesn't help that the matchmaking puts you against Level 20-40 Clantards on a team of level 4-7's. Who the fuck thought that was a good idea?

I think I must be missing some of them, do they all unlock sequentially when you finish the previous one?

The missions are divided by Briggs, Grim, Kobin and Charlie. The first mission of each is available immediately and then once you beat one of their missions, the next one of theirs unlocks.

Afro

Find a way for my controller to stop dropping and I'd love you.

negative. the controller support is atrocious. the only fix for now is to keep unplugging/replugging your gamepad and switching back and forth from kb/mouse to gamepad in the control settings.

it's especially bad when attempting to use the uplay overlay. assuming this will be fixed in the next patch.

Caleb187

Anybody else playing on kb/mouse getting the cover button actually performing a "jump over" action instead? It seems to happen when you're moving towards cover and you're still holding W when you hit the cover button. In SvM this makes it so you accidentally jump out over a ledge into a Mercs line of fire instead of pushing up against cover. I have to purposely stop moving before hitting the cover button to prevent this from happening. We have a dedicated jump button, why allow the cover button to do the same thing and potentially screw you up?

Also why when you are on a ledge is the "drop down" button the cover button again? Shouldn't it be the crouch button? Weird control scheme makes me slow as a spy.

Sober

Anybody else playing on kb/mouse getting the cover button actually performing a "jump over" action instead? It seems to happen when you're moving towards cover and you're still holding W when you hit the cover button. In SvM this makes it so you accidentally jump out over a ledge into a Mercs line of fire instead of pushing up against cover. I have to purposely stop moving before hitting the cover button to prevent this from happening. We have a dedicated jump button, why allow the cover button to do the same thing and potentially screw you up?

Also why when you are on a ledge is the "drop down" button the cover button again? Shouldn't it be the crouch button? Weird control scheme makes me slow as a spy.
Check the bindings, the cover button might've been bound to also toggle active sprint from what I read, but I redid all my bindings (didn't really like the layout) and never had problems.

But yeah I definitely agree, drop down should've been bound to crouch on the PC version. On a controller layout it makes sense (A to climb up, B to climb down; B on controllers = cover as well) but less on PC IMO.

Caleb187

Check the bindings, the cover button might've been bound to also toggle active sprint from what I read, but I redid all my bindings (didn't really like the layout) and never had problems.

But yeah I definitely agree, drop down should've been bound to crouch on the PC version. On a controller layout it makes sense (A to climb up, B to climb down; B on controllers = cover as well) but less on PC IMO.

I checked, active sprint and cover are 2 separate bindings. I don't see any sort of overlap though maybe I'm missing something.

Y'all - is this a rent game or a buy game?

Believe it or not I've never played Splinter Cell mp - I've been absorbed by the stealthy goodness of TLOU mp for weeks - if this gives any context for an answer.

Gaz_RB

Y'all - is this a rent game or a buy game?

Believe it or not I've never played Splinter Cell mp - I've been absorbed by the stealthy goodness of TLOU mp for weeks - if this gives any context for an answer.

It's a buy, unless you have like a week off school and work to devote to it. 12 campaign missions, 14 side missions (coop-able), and a really deep multiplayer. I've played almost 50 hours so far, and no signs of stopping anytime soon.

there are dlc missions? what the fuck. i knew they were skimping on the number of Grim missions available. those were the best ones.

It's odd that the game has a Gitmo level
and there has been no controversy regarding that.
yeah i would've thought it'd be mentioned at least.
they even show the detainees locked inside cages within cages.
i wonder how MGSV will handle it.

Hey that one guy who's first mission sounds like a horde mode (I think Charlie), what do you have to do to complete it? Survive until the end or just a certain number of waves? Also are all that guy's missions like that?
you can extract after every five waves, and yes they're all like that. it can get pretty boring.

Hey that one guy who's first mission sounds like a horde mode (I think Charlie), what do you have to do to complete it? Survive until the end or just a certain number of waves? Also are all that guy's missions like that?

Gaz_RB

To complete the mission you can go to 5 then leave when the option is given to you. The mission can go to 20 waves though. All 4 of his missions are like that, yeah. I love em.

MAX PAYMENT

I'm about 25% through a non lethal perfectionist play through. I've been spotted numerous times and still managed to escape due to the great level design.

I'd have seemingly 50 dudes swarming my position, then find a lucky break and zip past everybody either stealth, or with the use of a flash bang. Then it leads to a crazy intense chase. It's pretty crazy to be fleeing through a map from 50 dudes and dogs in a 1 shot 1 kill situation.

To complete the mission you can go to 5 then leave when the option is given to you. The mission can go to 20 waves though. All 4 of his missions are like that, yeah. I love em.

Charlie's missions are so good. Love both his and Kobin's. I play through the campaign complete ghost as much as I can and the ability to do just unwind and stealth knockout a whole bunch of baddies is amazing (double-so in coop).

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Flashbangs aren't able to be used as Ghosts, I thought? It would alert enemies and set them into combat, yeah?

Gaz_RB

Charlie's missions are so good. Love both his and Kobin's. I play through the campaign complete ghost as much as I can and the ability to do just unwind and stealth knockout a whole bunch of baddies is amazing (double-so in coop).

Yeah Charlie's are nice because you don't feel bad going all out and messin with different styles because everybody already knows that you're there. Trying to master assault on perfectionist is a pretty thrilling challenge. Not how I usually would want to play Splinter Cell, but it's fun. Like a whole new game.

Gaz_RB

you're still undetected though, they don't know where you are until you let yourself be seen.

Yeah, I meant more that usually I like to ghost through levels, but since the enemies already know that I'm in the area and are hunting for me, I feel like going loud can fit the situation.

RedSwirl

SvM Classic feels a bit quicker and more accessible than Chaos Theory, but I still appreciate how stable and balanced it feels compared to everything else that's trying to copy Call of Duty's progression system.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
is the only way to get the Billionaire's Yacht mission to buy the Ultimatum Edition?

I have the dead coast map from my Amazon pre-order and the only dlc I see is some heavy armour pack.

haven't really examined the math... but don't you get the most points from ghost style, and i assume max points is from avoiding everything?

btw: what is actually worth investing money into? I got all the gadgets and suit upgrades to hold more gadgets... and upgraded my sonar goggles a bit (kinda feel like they will be too OP if i upgrade more). Not entirely sure why i am offered a shotgun or ak47...

sueil

The prototype sniper rifle is so good. Taking out heavies with one shot to the head is awesome. Have gotten pretty damn good with it and able to take out two guys near each other at once without raising an alarm.

anyone else surprised
no one close to Sam betrayed him? i was expecting Charlie to be a double agent for the Engineers or something.

There's other ways to play? :p

Edit: I have a couple errands to run, but I should be available in a couple hours. Hopefully that works for you.

sure, just invite me when you're ready.

Kazerei

Banned
haven't really examined the math... but don't you get the most points from ghost style, and i assume max points is from avoiding everything?

btw: what is actually worth investing money into? I got all the gadgets and suit upgrades to hold more gadgets... and upgraded my sonar goggles a bit (kinda feel like they will be too OP if i upgrade more). Not entirely sure why i am offered a shotgun or ak47...

Some of the plane upgrades are pretty useful. With cockpit level 2, the radar shows enemies as chevrons instead of dots, which indicates the direction they're facing. Might be a little OP but whatever. The black market weapons are kind of shitty IMO, but the prototype sniper rifle is freaking amazing, as others have mentioned. Totally worth upgrading to workship level 2. And command level 2 makes it near impossible to miss those dead drops.

As for gear, crossbow is great for ghosting. I went mostly panther, so I bought a better pistol (forgot what its called) and some attachments. And DAT SNIPER RIFLE. So good.

does sniper rifle work with mark and execute?

Yes, yes it does. SOOOO GOOOD.

sniper rifle needed though? i try not to lethal when i don't need to.

having a good time with the drone too. probably one of the best controlling flying thingie in games lol.

and you can just call it back, lol wtf.

jet1911

While playing this morning I noticed that there is a silenced shotgun. I think I will silently shotgun everyone in the face from now.

While playing this morning I noticed that there is a silenced shotgun. I think I will silently shotgun everyone in the face from now.

oh wow, i didn't know that. time to Anton Chigurh this shit. mark everyone in a room, breach the door and silently blast everyone away lol.

I've got the "thanks for playing" bug so I can't start my game.

I've tried the "Change "WindowStyleFinal=1" option to 0 or 2." solution but when I start the game it just reverts my ini file and won't start.

Can anyone help me here? I've got a game that doesn't start.

ran into my first game where almost all the mercs had mines and were using them liberally in totally random places, that shit is maddening.

How is Spies V Mercs in Blacklist?

Does it live up to the lofty standards of Chaos Theory?

Here's what Gabe of Penny Arcade has to say about it:
I picked up Splinter Cell Blacklist specifically for the promised “classic” spies vs. mercs multiplayer. Robert and I must have played a hundred hours of the original Spies vs. Mercs multiplayer in Pandora tomorrow. When we saw that Blacklist was bringing it back we were crazy excited. Only they didn’t bring it back.

What they have is a two vs. two spies vs. mers option but they have stripped out everything that made the original game so great. There is no way to interact with the opposite team now that does not involve killing them. Spies can’t grab a merc and hold them hostage, whisper to them or use them to bypass security. You can’t knock someone out and make their teammate come over and revive them. There is no built in security for the spies to try and deal with. No lasers, cameras or alarms. The merc can’t place trip lasers, shoot his own mines or even cycle through multiple vision modes. So there is no more catching a glimpse of a spies electromagnetic signature through the ceiling. or using your motion vision to see him moving through the shadows. The spy can’t jump or boost his teammate or back flip off a wall. Also he has a crossbow now because… I have no idea why he has a crossbow now.

Needless to say it was a huge disappointment. I tried the single player but got bored after a few hours.

I'm enjoying co-op and story mode, but that quote sums up why I'm reluctant to try SvM.

Double D

So I called Sarah between every mission except when
the Paladin gets hacked. I talked to everyone else but didn't call Sarah
. Anyone else do this?

Huh so mark and execute is entirely useless against enemies with helmets because Sam has to shoot them in the head when a single shot to the body would have been effective. Seems kind of silly.

Sober

Here's what Gabe of Penny Arcade has to say about it:

I'm enjoying co-op and story mode, but that quote sums up why I'm reluctant to try SvM.
I dunno, it's like eight years removed from what SvM was back in the day. If they were expecting a carbon copy then I really don't know what they were thinking.

Top Bottom