• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist |OT| Warning: May Contain Trace Amounts Of Stealth

Shinta

Banned
Got the OST today, and there's some good stuff in there.

61zzCr2uKSL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Mike Zarin & Tony Hajjar

Dude's Name Is Andriy Kobin
Package is Secure
We're Dealing with Pros
Let's Just Get Out of Here
Break a Leg Briggs
Tell Me the Op Suit's Not Flammable

UrbanRats

This game has a ton of content. I've been spending a lazy Sunday just playing all of the side missions. I usually hate horde-mode type stuff, but the open gameplay has grabbed
me, sorta like how ODST grabbed me with Firefight.

I haven't tried even one of those horde mode missions, simply because in Conviction every "hold the position" segment was so bad.
Now that i've finished the story, i guess i'll have to do them.
I completed all of Grim's missions almost at the start of the game and then all story, basically.

Depends on a few factors:
  • type of enemy (the bigger, the less likely it'll work from the front).
  • if the enemy is alerted (there's a window in which you can still down an enemy before he realizes what's going on).
  • and during combat, sometimes it works if you shoot them a couple of times (probably because staggered, though i haven't tested too much).

Back and Side are always (AFAIK) game, instead.

oh yeah, tear gas also works nicely.

Going by post count alone, since i havent browse much of the thread, it looks like the game is having a nice reception.

What's the impression from the folks here about how the game will perform sales wise?

UrbanRats

Going by post count alone, since i havent browse much of the thread, it looks like the game is having a nice reception.

What's the impression from the folks here about how the game will perform sales wise?

I hope it does well, but it's seeing some strong competition this year.
At least it doesn't have another Ubi title in the same week, though (Watch Dogs + Assassin's Creed 4).

Gaz_RB

"That didn't sound good."
"There was a dog in the apartment. Was."
"Huh. The file says he owns a prize winning showdog. Purebred."
"Time to update the file."

Man, the new guy is really growing on me. They just hid all his good lines in the side missions. I'll miss Ironside, but I'm looking forward to where Johnson takes the role.

all the climbing around stuff kinda makes me wish Assassin's creed takes some lessons on SC on stealth :(

Right? Jesus, Ubi, let the assassin crouch walk for god sakes.

I'm hoping it sells well. 360 online is poppin, and everyone online seems to love it. Even though there wasn't much pre-releas hype, I think it's gonna sell pretty well once everyone realizes that it's actually good.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Honestly, the new guy just needs a new dude. Ironside is Sam, basically. Sam can retire now that he's "story-wise" too old. Let Briggs and whoever be the new Sam. Hell, Briggs matching Sam in agility this outing just shows he should be the new face if they're going to "reboot the series."

Man, I'm gonna have to pick this one up at some point. Chaos Theory is one of my favorite games ever, and although I've liked the other Splinter Cells to varying degrees, this sounds like it's a step in the right direction .

Shinta

Banned
Honestly, the new guy just needs a new dude. Ironside is Sam, basically. Sam can retire now that he's "story-wise" too old. Let Briggs and whoever be the new Sam. Hell, Briggs matching Sam in agility this outing just shows he should be the new face if they're going to "reboot the series."

I want Kestrel back. They can just make it canon that he
beat Archer at the end of Conviction

UrbanRats

^^^ Fist bump.
#TeamKestrel.

I agree.
They should've done it with this one.

Sam as an old mentor (voiced by Ironside) and Briggs as the player.

KorrZ

This game is really fun so far, I'm only about 3 story missions in
American Consumption was my last mission
. Some of the solo side missions are actually pretty challenging without being detected. Heavies are the damn bane of my existence!

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Really enjoying this so far. I'm someone who liked Conviction (I did like the game but I must admit I love Ironside as Fisher) but this is definitely more fun. I'm so terrible at Ghost runs though, I always fuck things up eventually. More practice needed. It is fun running around knocking fools out, using tear gas etc though.

I did have one occasion where I got caught out and a few enemies and a drone were after me. So I quickly jump over a railing, shimmy across a bit and let them all run to where I was 'last seen' The drone then proceeds to go there, blows up and kills everyone else that was chasing me (something like 2 - 3 people). I couldn't stop laughing for a good 10mins or so.

is anyone else getting a system validation in progress dialog box that goes directly to "thank you for playing blah blah" when trying to start the game?

im about to kick this piece of shit out the window, ubishit's drm from hell can go fuck itself

KDC720

I want Kestrel back. They can just make it canon that he
beat Archer at the end of Conviction

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't
Kobin kill whoever won the face off regardless

Anyway, you can actually get Kestrel's suit in Blacklist, it's a Uplay reward.

Lizardus

I know this seems weird but I wish there werent so many enemies throughout the level. It almost makes me want to run and gun. Also fuck the dogs.

the last level was pretty good, love that
ninja mask
. but the last encounter is a pain in the ass.

Dogs are such a pain in the ass, glad they aren't in every mission (yet?).

yeah, seriously. i just use the tri-rotor and knock them out for a distance.

Since every Carmen San Diego moment in the SMI ends with a 50/50 chance of passing and failing, do you ever get the option to try the failed missions again? It auto-saves as soon as you choose :(

lol i failed every single one of those Gone Dark things. it's only a cash bonus, so no big deal.

It's far from horrible, imho, and my preferred choice.
Sam's voice wins, and the rest are at least familiar, if you played the previous games.
In the grand sheme of German video game voice acting, I would give it a C

Best German voice acting in any game ever was SHODAN, at least for someone who doesn't speak German.

all the climbing around stuff kinda makes me wish Assassin's creed takes some lessons on SC on stealth :(

Agreed. I kept thinking about how Blacklist is essentially AC done right.

TheSeks

Woah, second story mission:
I gotta kill people at the start
!? That doesn't count for the no-kill option, yes?

TheSeks

Alright, I'll continue with the game then. I was all "HOLD UP THERE'S NO BYPASS OPTION!? *quit*"

And I wish I could solve this controller breaking issue. I have to unplug and replug in my controller to get the game to "support" it again if I restart missions or play rounds of SvM. Shit is mad annoying.

Gaz_RB

Alright, I'll continue with the game then. I was all "HOLD UP THERE'S NO BYPASS OPTION!? *quit*"

And I wish I could solve this controller breaking issue. I have to unplug and replug in my controller to get the game to "support" it again if I restart missions or play rounds of SvM. Shit is mad annoying.

Sorry about the controller issue.

Also, I'm not 100% sure, but I think that if you kill someone in the moral choice cutscenes, it counts towards being lethal or nonlethal, so be wary of those.

Gaz_RB

I guess I'm close to finished the campaign on 360, are any of the horde things doable solo?

I finished all twenty waves on realistic solo,
but I'm pretty good at this game. /brag

To complete them you only need to do five waves, and they're really easy.

Unless you meant are they coop only, then no.

Kazerei

Banned
Dogs are such a pain in the ass, glad they aren't in every mission (yet?).

I know this seems weird but I wish there werent so many enemies throughout the level. It almost makes me want to run and gun. Also fuck the dogs.

I find that climbing up high works well against dogs. They can sense if you're above or below to a certain extent, but if you get high enough they don't. Or send a tri rotor after them. The tri rotor kinda seems OP, but fuck those dogs.

highrider

Banned
I finished all twenty waves on realistic solo,
but I'm pretty good at this game. /brag

To complete them you only need to do five waves, and they're really easy.

Unless you meant are they coop only, then no.
Cool, thanks man. I'll give it a go.

Gaz_RB

Also, Seks, I just got the No Kill Option Engaged achievement and can confirm that 4E missions don't count towards it.

haikira

Woah, second story mission:
I gotta kill people at the start
!? That doesn't count for the no-kill option, yes?

If you're talking about the forced mark and execute, you can use your taser, which is non lethal. I use the heck out of that thing. Haven't killed anyone on my run yet.

"That didn't sound good."
"There was a dog in the apartment. Was."
"Huh. The file says he owns a prize winning showdog. Purebred."
"Time to update the file."

Man, the new guy is really growing on me. They just hid all his good lines in the side missions. I'll miss Ironside, but I'm looking forward to where Johnson takes the role.
Wow really? I never heard that line but that's pretty awesome. I have noticed some good lines too, but I don't understand why they buried them so deep. His shit talking ones are pretty good, like grabbing a guy from a doorway, obliterating him with the knife then saying something like "don't bother getting up." Dude's dead lol.

Sarcastic, light shit-talking might be this new guy's wheelhouse. Ironside is very gruff and heavy, and was also a bit sarcastic. If they basically flip to the other side of that it might work. Tonally, this guy can't match Ironside and they shouldn't make him try to. When they give him some dark humour, his lighter tone was surprisingly entertaining in contrast to Ironside's gruffness (which I also love).

TheSeks

Yeah, I
spared that dudes life
but
"he pulled the trigger," despite Sam's hand being on the gun and the dude grabbing it to put it back on his head to die for the Blacklist cause.
What? :/ I'm thinking it was a finger-twitch reaction or something but just "what?"

If you're talking about the forced mark and execute, you can use your taser, which is non lethal. I use the heck out of that thing. Haven't killed anyone on my run yet.

What Taser? It was the helicopter insertion and as far as I'm aware you couldn't switch from the laser-sighted Sniper Rifle.

haikira

What Taser? It was the helicopter insertion and as far as I'm aware you couldn't switch from the laser-sighted Sniper Rifle.

Whoops, I think I was counting the opening prologue mission as a story mission, so got mixed up as to what mission you were referring to. I think I was actually talking about what's the first story mission and not the second.

Top Bottom