• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist |OT| Warning: May Contain Trace Amounts Of Stealth

Gaz_RB

Here's what Gabe of Penny Arcade has to say about it:

I'm enjoying co-op and story mode, but that quote sums up why I'm reluctant to try SvM.

I feel like they forgot to mention the most important part- it is still incredibly fun and unique.

Ubi kept the essence of what made spies v mercs awesome. If it's not going to be any different, why make a new game?

woah, lethal takedowns are brutal.

sorry guys, i've been too lenient on y'all too long... if I let yall live you'd just go to prison and thats my tax money!

leaving no witness's is also another form of stealth.

Sullichin

The crazy lethality of spies and lack of traps are disappointing, but I'm really enjoying this new take on SvM from what I've played. I don't like when I get the drop on a spy and he can melee kill me from the front much faster than I can manage to do anything though.

I've got the "thanks for playing" bug so I can't start my game.

I've tried the "Change "WindowStyleFinal=1" option to 0 or 2." solution but when I start the game it just reverts my ini file and won't start.

Can anyone help me here? I've got a game that doesn't start.

Ok well I found a solution and it's to make the ini file read-only. Seems to work for now.

so only time briggs is ever doing stuff on the field (besides sniper cover and driving the escape car) is in the co-op missions?

kinda feel sad for him, 'always next time'.

DesertFox

By far my most satisfying ghost moment yet.
(private estate mission spoilers)

Immediately after leaving the safe room with Nourin I hopped over the office balcony railing to get outside the office before the 2 night vision guys breach in.

I hop back over the railing behind the enemies setting up at the door, knocking out the rear guard before the first guy has breached the door. Remaining guard breaches the door acting like a badass only to be instantly knocked out cold from behind. Sam doesn't give a **** about enemies wearing night vision!

I love this game.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Still loving the campaign. Haven't tried co-op yet, but I've played quite a bit of SvM and I'm confused on it.

One minute spies are never on my radar and kill me instantly, the other minute they're on my radar all the time (sometimes cloaked, sometimes not).

SvM is just straight up confusing to me because I feel like the base player traits of each class isn't communicated to the player in-game.

It's still fun when you hit a groove and still incredibly unique, but just confusing.

By far my most satisfying ghost moment yet.
(private estate mission spoilers)

Immediately after leaving the safe room with Nourin I hopped over the office balcony railing to get outside the office before the 2 night vision guys breach in.

I hop back over the railing behind the enemies setting up at the door, knocking out the rear guard before the first guy has breached the door. Remaining guard breaches the door acting like a badass only to be instantly knocked out cold from behind. Sam doesn't give a **** about enemies wearing night vision!

I love this game.

i did that after failing twice because i didn't upgrade my guns worth shit lol. Crazy body armor.

Rest of that mission i went all rambo with tear gas and lethal takedown.

Nokterian

Anyone wanna add me to uplay? My nickname is Ozgiliath there and want to do some co-op if possible and i am from EU but everyone is welcome off course.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I dunno, it's like eight years removed from what SvM was back in the day. If they were expecting a carbon copy then I really don't know what they were thinking.

To be fair, though, they do have a point on Spies not being able to backflip and other stuff.

But since the spy has that fuckin' front melee and the Merc doesn't have a too good counter for that, more spy options would just be overkill.

Gaz_RB

Just finished my perfectionist run through. Game is really easy after you've mastered the controls and have everything unlocked, including radar. Make sure you turn that off if you want more of a challenge.

The boss battle was really easy this time. It doesn't care if you're mashing X the whole time waiting for the Grab prompt to appear, so I just mashed X the whole time after he jumped on my back. I skipped the credits last time and missed some credit dialogue that I listened to this time. Kinda linked it with Conviction's credit dialogue too, talking about the elephant. Should have known they'd put it in after the Sam-Vic dialogue at the end of Conviction.

The second time through I think I understood, an appreciated the story a lot more. Maybe if they slowed it down a bit it'd be a little easier for people to follow. I like the two different takes on Fifth Freedom, as that has always been a core tenet of the Splinter Cell series, and this game showed that it wasn't all just 'Murica does whatever it needs to in order to kill evil foreigners. Like what Sessler said in his review, 4th Echelon seems almost extra- national.

Also liked how Sam says "There's always another option." to Sadiq right before he takes him in, like he had learned from all the Kill/Spare options we'd been given throughout the game.

But I've played a lot of Blacklist, I may be thinking to much into it.

i did that after failing twice because i didn't upgrade my guns worth shit lol. Crazy body armor.

Rest of that mission i went all rambo with tear gas and lethal takedown.

I did the same thing my first time haha. Just killed everyone in the estate.

I love this game.
Been having a ton of fun experimenting in the Kobin missions. Silent sniping only? Loud shotgun/pistol and dirty tricks? Panther SMG runs? Non-lethal runs? General weapons testing or gadget experiments? Its all good, and each method changes the game up quite a bit. Full assault with pistol & shotty is NOTHING like silent sniping is NOTHING like going full non-lethal. Throw in that each time I replay a map I take a different path through and am STILL finding new clamboring spots and new ways to quickly move from one area of the map to the next and this just keeps growing on me. And of course if I mess up and reinforcements flood in that just changes everything.

And thats ONE flavor of side mission.

My only problem right now is that between the campaign and side missions I've bought everything there is to buy except for some op suit camo options and some weapon specific upgrades. I've got all the gear and weaponry there is. I thought it would take longer ;P

But I have to admit, I've been playing the hell out of this game.

Mr E.

Why'd they remove splitscreen coop from the PC version?
Didn't know about the PC having that cut out. Wii U version was cut of that feature too. Shame I wanted to support 3rd party Wii U but went PS4 in the end.

Those Co-op missions are great from what I've played so far.

kinda weird that sam can bother with nonlethal takedown in this when he killed everything moving in conviction (I think you could nonlethal takedown somehow, but its not documented lol).

they don't really care about splinter cell lore lol.

Gaz_RB

kinda weird that sam can bother with nonlethal takedown in this when he killed everything moving in conviction (I think you could nonlethal takedown somehow, but its not documented lol).

they don't really care about splinter cell lore lol.

Sam wasn't working officially back in conviction, he was a rouge agent. That's probably how they justify it

Sam wasn't working officially back in conviction, he was a rouge agent. That's probably how they justify it
it's rogue. (pet peeve, sorry)

Do the guards make any loud noises when doing a lethal takedown and alerting nearby guards?
Seems about the same between lethal and non-lethal. What's gotten me in trouble more often is the sound of dropping a body - I've had that alert guards. Guards who then walked into my ad-hoc traps, but still...

with the shit they are doing in blacklist... i wouldn't consider this much more official lol.

Is there any negative of doing lethal outside of the points loss i think? Is there a blood trail?

Fuck you're right, thanks.

You would think I would have played enough RPGs to know that
Hah, but then again 95% of the internet seems to spell it that way. I've never understood how that misspelling took off like wildfire, but it has. That and turrent. Both make my eyebrows twitch uncontrollably.

And a hearty cheers to you for not calling me an asshole :)

Back on topic I took your advice on going assault and stuck to hit and run tactics. And yeah, works well. The trick is to avoid getting surrounded and having a plan for those lithe night-vision enemy reinforcements.

BTW - Is anybody using breaching charges in their loadouts? Haven't seen much use at all for them unless thats the very first LOUD move you make - otherwise you tend to draw enemies out of their rooms where the charge could be useful.

danielcw

Is it just me, or do guards not try to wake up knocked out guards?
It seems like there is no penalty to go non-leathal and not hiding the bodies.

negative. the controller support is atrocious. the only fix for now is to keep unplugging/replugging your gamepad and switching back and forth from kb/mouse to gamepad in the control settings.

it's especially bad when attempting to use the uplay overlay. assuming this will be fixed in the next patch.
Just wanted to say, that I do not have this issue, so maybe we can troubleshoot from there.
Which controller are you using?

but that quote sums up why I'm reluctant to try SvM.
In SvM classic the core-gameplay of evading light and deadly mercs is still there, as are the gadgets.
(there seems to be a rock-paper-scissors between various spy and merc gadgets)

The thrill is still there, and as far as I know there is nothing quite like it.

Ugh. Still really really digging the game, but just did the abandoned mill level and
did not like the forced combat scenario with briggs at the end. I did stick to stealth takedowns, but given I'd just spent the whole level trying to be a ghost, it's frustrating. I get they have story beats they want to hit but there has to be a better way, even branching paths on what could have happened there base don how the player has been playing so far in the campaign. I don't know
. Love it though, the side stuff is awesome, really grizzly at times, love the grimm stuff.
You can still ghost the part you are talking about. Use the pipe to the right, hop through window ledge, run behind, then sticky shocker or whatever else you want. There is only one part in the game where it may be impossible to not be detected and I think it's at the end of Trainyard (haven't gone back and tried a different tactic yet though, so I'm probably wrong). Every other mission I was able to avoid detection where a cutscene didn't make it mandatory.

Gaz_RB

Hah, but then again 95% of the internet seems to spell it that way. I've never understood how that misspelling took off like wildfire, but it has. That and turrent. Both make my eyebrows twitch uncontrollably.

Back on topic I took your advice on going assault and stuck to hit and run tactics. And yeah, works well. The trick is to avoid getting surrounded and having a plan for those lithe night-vision enemy reinforcements.

BTW - Is anybody using breaching charges in their loadouts? Haven't seen much use at all for them unless thats the very first LOUD move you make - otherwise you tend to draw enemies out of their rooms where the charge could be useful.

God every time I play Halo with my friend he's always the one wanting to shoot the warthog "turrent".

I use breaching charges in my assault loadout. They're fun, but pretty useless. Cool in coop though, get to play a little rainbow six

Onikaan

Just had a lock up in TDM.

Xbox 360. First, and hopefully last.

Question time!

Should Spies really have Sub-machine guns?

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

At least that's just misspelt, it drives me insane when I see people labelling third person shooters as first person shooters.

Game continues to be great fun, I'm really enjoying it.

Just had a lock up in TDM.

Xbox 360. First, and hopefully last.

Question time!

Should Spies really have Sub-machine guns?

Beware the spy with a fully upgraded sub-machine gun as well, in one game I saw one get no less than 5 kills with his. Kinda sucks when all you see is pitch black and you're getting pegged by round after round.

AJ_Wings

So Steam finally decided to unlock the game in my country four days after the official release date for some reason, got to play Blacklist for like 30-40 minutes. Still in the Benghazi level.

First impressions: Really good and quite impressed actually. Despite being mechanically similar to Conviction in a lot of ways, I don't remember Conviction being this tense especially on the Realistic difficulty. Half the bullshit you could get away in Conviction will get you killed in Blacklist. M&E is no longer the "I win!" button (well at least so far) since you could die very quickly and the AI is very quick to respond to your actions.

On side note, is the game's AI entirely dependent on line of sight in or can I actually blend to the shadows on the more darker levels and the AI won't notice me?

The Enhanced Lethality Demonstrated achievement will be the death of me...

Can it be done in Coop? You can use another players marked targets I think.

I was trying one of Charlie's missions.. tell me i read it wrong, 20 fucking waves? I ain't got that kind of time, you kidding me?

It will let you extract or stay and fight after 5 waves. You can always come back and start on the wave you left off at.

You can still ghost the part you are talking about. Use the pipe to the right, hop through window ledge, run behind, then sticky shocker or whatever else you want. There is only one part in the game where it may be impossible to not be detected and I think it's at the end of Trainyard (haven't gone back and tried a different tactic yet though, so I'm probably wrong). Every other mission I was able to avoid detection where a cutscene didn't make it mandatory.

Well, I ghosted it in the sense that they didn't see me take them out, but I'd have rathered an option where I could bypass them completely without having to take them down (regardless of how hard that option may have been), you can't do that right? That's how I'd played the whole level up until there. Cheers for the info though :) It is a minor gripe for me though, I'm really enjoying the game in general.

TentPole

Huh so mark and execute is entirely useless against enemies with helmets because Sam has to shoot them in the head when a single shot to the body would have been effective. Seems kind of silly.

I know you are complaining about the realism of the game world and not actual game mechanics but I just wanted to point out to anyone who doesn't know that you can still get an instant kill on heavies with mark and execute as long as they are within arms reach when you trigger it.

You only need to complete five to beat the mission, rest is just a bonus for score.
Just the fifth wave? Or every fifth wave?

I've only played five waves but I coulda sworn you could choose to extract or continue at each fifth wave.

I know you are complaining about the realism of the game world and not actual game mechanics but I just wanted to point out to anyone who doesn't know that you can still get an instant kill on heavies with mark and execute as long as they are within arms reach when you trigger it.
Regular heavies or heavy heavies? Seems like sometimes I can drop a helmeted enemy with one shot in M&E while the guy he's standing next to just gets his helmet pinged off. Not sure what exactly is at work here - whether its weapon power/distance, angle, or both.

UrbanRats

^^^ I would just look at the power level, so SC shotgun and SC4000 i guess (they both reach maximum damage).
But it's worth noting that not all of the enemies go down, the very big heavy at the end, at least, didn't die froma M&E with the SC sniper at max (at realistic, don't know about other difficulties).

Didn't know that!
Also, if you mark and execute with a powerful weapon (like a sniper rifle) some enemies with helmets will go down in one shot.

Onikaan

Nope, Sub-machine pens lol.

Beware the spy with a fully upgraded sub-machine gun as well, in one game I saw one get no less than 5 kills with his. Kinda sucks when all you see is pitch black and you're getting pegged by round after round.

Blacklist style game modes have so much potential. It's really sad to see these poor design decisions. I only see it as pandering to the cool kids that don't want to actually try something new.

Another thing that rattles my cage; Why does a spy in cover have ZERO advantage over a spy running through the door/opening you're covered behind? The amount of times I've been knifed by a dude running through the door at me while I'm waiting in the shadows to take him out is far too many. Doesn't it make sense that if you're actually playing the spy to his strengths, i.e cover/crouching that you should have an advantage over some sub-machine wielding nutter just sprinting through maps mashing the take down button.

Grrr.

Top Bottom