• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist |OT| Warning: May Contain Trace Amounts Of Stealth

Grisby

LOL this is exactly what I did this morning, watched the latest episode, then played some Charlie missions.
The show is pretty quality. I was surprised by how well paced it is and the amount of pretty decent (and decently shot mind you) action that happens on screen.

Wunder

finally unlockeddddddd yesss just played through two co-op missions (One Briggs, one Grimm) and it's been a blast so far. Can't wait to dig into SvM and the Single Player.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Starting to regret not getting the edition with the watch. It was only $5aud more than the standard edition and came with two maps (1x co-op only and 1x sp/co-op) instead of the co-op only map that is in the standard edition. That extra map would've been worth the $5. It was the Millionaires Yacht.

How is the Millionaires Yacht map for those that have played it?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
American Consumption: Ghosting the
Hostages
what is the idea? I can take one dude out and it counts as a Panther. WTF? Because they see me as I'm sliding down from the area or something?

Also the last area is there anyway to do it without knocking out tons of guards? It seems like you have to
knock out the armored dudes to disarm the objectives
but then you have like 1-3 others around them that kinda screw that up and add in the context of disarming freaking out and throwing you over a railing it gets mad annoying with that time limit.

and leaving the two near the manual override seems like you can't do that from what I'm reading since they stop Sam from turning the valve even if he gets there undetected by them? WTF?

I missed mastering it by like 2000 points because of this. Which pisses me off because I'm sure if I could ghost those areas I'd have it in the bag easy.

Hostages
what is the idea? I can take one dude out and it counts as a Panther. WTF? Because they see me as I'm sliding down from the area or something?

Also the last area is there anyway to do it without knocking out tons of guards? It seems like you have to
but then you have like 1-3 others around them that kinda screw that up and add in the context of disarming freaking out and throwing you over a railing it gets mad annoying with that time limit.

and leaving the two near the manual override seems like you can't do that from what I'm reading since they stop Sam from turning the valve even if he gets there undetected by them? WTF?

I missed mastering it by like 2000 points because of this. Which pisses me off because I'm sure if I could ghost those areas I'd have it in the bag easy.

In that first area you mention, I used knocked out one and used sleeping gas on the other two.

I don't think I knocked out anybody in the last section. Used a couple sticky noisemakers though. The vent/tunnel that connects the two areas came in handy.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
There's a tunnel for the last area?

I turned the lights off in the first one and I had like six people in there to move around. I quickly got to the area where I need to drop, took the one enemy nearby out silently and dropped. But apparently the game counts that aggressive movement as a Panther action?

There's a tunnel for the last area?

I turned the lights off in the first one and I had like six people in there to move around. I quickly got to the area where I need to drop, took the one enemy nearby out silently and dropped. But apparently the game counts that aggressive movement as a Panther action?

It's Panther if the guards are suspicious/alerted I think. Maybe the lights going out is what did it?

Hostages

Pretty sure it's just a case of some intense timing. This is the bit with the
ten min timer to do the objectives right?
. I did it, took me a few times, but once I got it, only took about 4 and a half minutes. A bit of timing, a bit of luck where they start their patrol pattern when you load up and you can do it pretty much under their noses. I did oneof the pumps with a heavy armor standing on the other side of it haha. Also, never forget you can break their pattern with a whistle, if they just won't seperate long enough for you to get a button done.

XAL

UGH

I was playing what I assume was one of the later brigg's co-op missions and I ran out of ram during a setpiece
firefight
at the very end of the mission....

LASDJALS:DJALSDJH:A"SKHD:ASJHDBALSDHKa;slbnaljkfgbASJDFHASJFBK:JLSAFH

theJwac

I was playing a game of Classic SvM tonight and some rather unkind merc had the spy spawns almost perfectly figured out: 3 times I spawned on top of a mine. Several other times my teammate and I spawned directly in his line of sight.

We lost 67% to 94% on the first terminal in Silo. I raged. Other than that instance, I've really been loving SvM, however I wish they had a safe zone spawn for spies as in previous iterations.

Ruined one of my favourite franchises. The guy who plays Sam is just meh, they even turned the character model into some shaved headed space marine type, looks a lot like Shepard.

They should have just subtitled this game as a spinoff and killed off sam fisher, the story was bad, the characters were bad, the stealth was bad.

The last mission annoyed the hell out of me, it is supposed to be some super secure bunker that ensures the continuation of the government and it has vents big enough for people to crawl through with conveniently timed/moving lasers???

A lot of the fun of Splinter Cell for me were the big open maps, the levels in this game were so closed off if you sprinted towards the next checkpoint you could bypass a lot of the enemies even if you were in an alert phase.

Rather than a Stealth that you could play as an action game it is an action game that you can stealth a bit.

The only levels I enjoyed were Grimms as they harked back to the old splinter cell games.

Gen X

I was playing a game of Classic SvM tonight and some rather unkind merc had the spy spawns almost perfectly figured out: 3 times I spawned on top of a mine. Several other times my teammate and I spawned directly in his line of sight.

We lost 67% to 94% on the first terminal in Silo. I raged. Other than that instance, I've really been loving SvM, however I wish they had a safe zone spawn for spies as in previous iterations.

Fuck that. In the original SvM on Pandora Tomorrow the Spies spawned in an area inaccessible to Mercs so spawn camping was not possible. I believe there was also two ways out which were also not Merc friendly, such as a vent or shaft.

All throughout the single player in the PS3 version, character voices completely drop out in cutscenes. At least I had the subtitles on, otherwise I would be missing out on huge chunks of plot. Perhaps this isn't a widespread issue, but it's very disappointing to see a game I'm enjoying release in this state.

Vintage

After Conviction, I didn't expect anything from this game, but was pleasantly surprised. I play on perfectionist difficulty, so the stealth is pretty hardcore, feels like a Splinter Cell game.
I try to play ghost style, but panther and assault can give much room for improvisation. It's extremely satisfying to get out of bad situation using whatever you have at hand instead just pressing restart button.

Too bad Ironside is replaced, Sam's charm is gone :( I didn't realize the main character was Sam until the game explicitly stated that.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member

That's just plain embarrassing, the older games had this already figured out.

Ruined one of my favourite franchises. The guy who plays Sam is just meh, they even turned the character model into some shaved headed space marine type, looks a lot like Shepard.

They should have just subtitled this game as a spinoff and killed off sam fisher, the story was bad, the characters were bad, the stealth was bad.

The last mission annoyed the hell out of me, it is supposed to be some super secure bunker that ensures the continuation of the government and it has vents big enough for people to crawl through with conveniently timed/moving lasers???

A lot of the fun of Splinter Cell for me were the big open maps, the levels in this game were so closed off if you sprinted towards the next checkpoint you could bypass a lot of the enemies even if you were in an alert phase.

Rather than a Stealth that you could play as an action game it is an action game that you can stealth a bit.

The only levels I enjoyed were Grimms as they harked back to the old splinter cell games.
Apart from your grievances with Sam and the story, I am beginning to wonder if we played the same game... because you can't exactly run past anyone on higher difficulties when alerted. It's practically insta-death. The stealth is completely competent and the levels have plenty of routes. The missions are more like SC1 and SC2 in their linearity and checkpoints as opposed to Chaos Theory, but it's not like Chaos Theory was the only good game in the series. As for your spoiler tagged section... I personally can't even acknowledge that as a valid complaint. It's a video game.

Just had my game freeze up during the LNG Terminal mission. The cutscene started stuttering and then it froze while saving. Despite being able to re load the game, the data is now corrupted, meaning a black error message (80029207) appears on screen everytime the game autosaves. Come on, Splinter Cell, besides the voices dropping out in cutscenes you were doing so well until now :/

Pooya

I hate dogs :\ they're very sensitive, feels so random on realistic.

also, looks like they scanned the faces for every character except Sam and Grimm, they look kinda odd next to others.

glaurung

Spent a couple more hours on this game last night (PC). Looks great, sounds great, effects are great. Story missions seem like random Tom Clancy crap, but the action is solid so far.

Tried one of the side missions, and it is wave-based survival nonsense. Playing it with no kills is incredibly tedious. So glad these are optional.

Also noticed a weird design choice: you get to keep the challenge rewards even when you quit out of a mission.

Gen X

Just had my game freeze up during the
LNG Terminal
mission.

Ladies and Gentlemen, how not to spoiler tag.

Just say "Had the game freeze during the 7th mission" after all, you didn't mention any detail specifics and no one here knows if it is the first mission of last since we have to click to find out. (I don't know if it's the 7th, it's a guess).

=)

UrbanRats

I hate dogs :\ they're very sensitive, feels so random on realistic.

also, looks like they scanned the faces for every character except Sam and Grimm, they look kinda odd next to others.

Yeah dogs are a pain in the ass.
I kill/knock them out first thing, as soon as i see one.

Also Grim is definitely scanned, since she has a face closer to the voice actress, than Conviction:

i2aJy5WObL99Y.JPG
ibgDTKRvJdHrjS.JPG
ioLRNxHXGzlh4.JPG

Just say "Had the game freeze during the 7th mission" after all, you didn't mention any detail specifics and no one here knows if it is the first mission of last since we have to click to find out. (I don't know if it's the 7th, it's a guess).

=)

Considering it's a bug most people will want to avoid it's probably better if I don't spoiler tag it at all. That particular mission title/location doesn't give away much.

Sojgat

Spent a couple more hours on this game last night (PC). Looks great, sounds great, effects are great. Story missions seem like random Tom Clancy crap, but the action is solid so far.

Tried one of the side missions, and it is wave-based survival nonsense. Playing it with no kills is incredibly tedious. So glad these are optional.

Also noticed a weird design choice: you get to keep the challenge rewards even when you quit out of a mission.

Side missions aren't all like that, Grim missions are the most classic Splinter Cell levels in the game. There's only three of them though, which kinda sucks.

I hate killing the dogs. The sound they make when you shock them. :(

Most dog throat kicks ever in a video game.

Side missions aren't all like that, Grim missions are the most classic Splinter Cell levels in the game. There's only three of them though, which kinda sucks.

Uhhh, c'mon, the kobin missions are pretty good too. I think Grim and Kobin added up, it's fair to say the side missions are pretty good in terms of content and quality, on the side of themain campaign. Haven't tried Charlie's yet and Briggs, you have to have a partner right?

=)

Well, if he'd said 7th I would have to have went and counted them, I have no idea what the 7th mission is. I know it instantly the way he said it though, and he doesn't give away any locations the story visits with the tag.

strafer

did you try:
running the game in windowed mode via .ini file?
pressing alt+enter (the big enter key, not the numpad key)?
does the small system validation window come, when you try to start the game?
does your monitor show you something - like unsupported format/resolution/frequency?
manually starting the dx9 or dx11 .exe file of the game?
drivers up to date? if you have a nvidia gpu, did you try the recent beta drivers?

OK (but I guess it is not the issue here)

How do you run the game in windowed using ini?

Didn't work.

It did the first time.

It's says out of range, which means the same.

I don't have the option to start in DX9 or 11 mode.

Ati Drivers are up to date.

The weird problem is that Double Agent works fine. And Convicition worked like five months ago.

Fuck everything. It turns out im not the only one who experienced the corrupt data glitch. Sometimes the framerate will lag and then freeze during cutscenes as it's autosaving, corrupting the file. I thought it was confined to a certain cutscene on a certain level, howerver other people have encountered the same glitch in multiple areas. No idea if this happens on other platforms, as I'm on PS3.

I had to delete my save. I was on the last single player mission. Lost all my progress as well as a few top 5 co-op rankings on the leaderboards. You'd think stuff like leaderboard ranks would be saved to a server somewhere, but no, theyre dependent on your save file. -_-" At the very least I had recorded those co-op runs, but I doubt I'll be able to recreate them in game to regain my place.

NickMitch

What's the point with the metagame missions? What am I supposed to do to "solve" them?

You click that orange dot which promts a short briefing of the information snapped from some transmission, in that text there are some clues about the geographical location of the next hackable signal. Browse around with the cursor on the SMI World Map until you find the next spot...Repeat until finished meta-mission.

jeebus that ending for the london mission... why?

Don't drop random character moment shit like this without building up ANY character at all in this game.

Sam seems to have returned to form in this game vs the previous and now all of a sudden he's a loose cannon type of dude? Briggs kinda hates your ass and is all about the mission, but decides to save you over getting the baddie?

I feel like i'm skipping over some cutscenes or something because I don't recall any character development going down at all... and I try to run around the ship after each mission... and the dialogue is laughable at best.

Encountered my first fully armored up soldier. died a few times. What ways are there to take him down? I assume a few guns with armor piercing should do the trick. melee takedown from behind worked. None of the gadgets seemed to work :/

melee from behind seemed like the only nonlethal that worked.

Don't drop random character moment shit like this without building up ANY character at all in this game.

Sam seems to have returned to form in this game vs the previous and now all of a sudden he's a loose cannon type of dude? Briggs kinda hates your ass and is all about the mission, but decides to save you over getting the baddie?

I feel like i'm skipping over some cutscenes or something because I don't recall any character development going down at all... and I try to run around the ship after each mission... and the dialogue is laughable at best.

Have you finished the game? I will admit that part didn't have the build up it needed, but Sam & Briggs' relationship continues to develop. I was pretty happy with it by the end.

Encountered my first fully armored up soldier. died a few times. What ways are there to take him down? I assume a few guns with armor piercing should do the trick. melee takedown from behind worked. None of the gadgets seemed to work :/

Each class of enemy beyond the basic mook guard is designed to foil at least one part of the game's mechanics to keep you from getting comfortable. Dogs don't care about seeing you. Spies don't care about the dark. Drone guys block your visor. Heavy armored guys can only be brought down by melee from above/behind (no gas, gadgets, whatever). Armor piercing non-silenced weapons can bring 'em down, too, if that's your thing.

Gaz_RB

Another trick is to throw down sleeping gas and then shoot their helmet off. It's really best to just avoid them though if you're trying to ghost and meleeing from behind is too hard for you.

Briggs is kinda stupid at first. Just be glad this Splinter Cell has more character development than most Tom Clancy games.

Isn't this suit available?

Looks like one of the first suits with some desert camo on it

Sojgat

Uhhh, c'mon, the kobin missions are pretty good too. I think Grim and Kobin added up, it's fair to say the side missions are pretty good in terms of content and quality, on the side of themain campaign. Haven't tried Charlie's yet and Briggs, you have to have a partner right?

You can do all the co-op missions solo except for Briggs'. I like them all, it's just that Grim's are by far the best.

Isn't this suit available?

Looks exactly like the default suit, but with a strap on the back. Maybe Ubi just changed it a bit.

Edit: It is the default (Classic Ops) suit, with desert camo, and it still has that strap on it.

Have you finished the game? I will admit that part didn't have the build up it needed, but Sam & Briggs' relationship continues to develop. I was pretty happy with it by the end.

nope. stopped at that last night. Stealth games put too much strain lol. i can't really marathon them. maybe 1-2 missions a day.

Gaz_RB

What's the point with the metagame missions? What am I supposed to do to "solve" them?

Hmm those are really hard. I think there are keywords in the text that reveal the area you're supposed to look in. For instance, one said something about big sky country and, being from Montana, I immediately moved the cursor to Montana and a yellow marker appeared and I completed the mission. So with some google maybe you could solve them. They're strange, but a nice change of pace.

Some of these SvsM gametypes are so poorly balanced it's unreal.

Also, migrating host is so annoying! It never reconnects! As soon as I see that message, I know it's back to the lobby for everyone in the match.

Ziltoid

Unconfirmed Member
So I got a code for this game when I upgraded my graphics card. Can I redeem it in Steam or do I have to download a uPlay client or something?

Edit: Bah, it's uPlay only. Guess it was only a matter of time before I had to install this shit.

Sober

Hmm, I can see how Panther might be as hard as pure ghosting in this game, seeing as for the most part I think you need to have as much efficiency points (chaining kills together) to score the mastery goals.

Varth

You click that orange dot which promts a short briefing of the information snapped from some transmission, in that text there are some clues about the geographical location of the next hackable signal. Browse around with the cursor on the SMI World Map until you find the next spot...Repeat until finished meta-mission.

Oh, so I was doing it correclty. No clue, then. Second part popped up by itself without moving, third one, I can't seem to find it on the whole map.

EDIT: thank you, btw. My manners :D

+EDIT: is there some sort of "intro" in the game triggered by waiting or something? I'm finding a whole lot of reference in the intermissions that make no sense, not having played Conviction. Tell me they didn't drop you in the middle of nowhere narratively. I HATE when they do that.

Lima

So I just started playing this. I'm on the first mission after the intro and these fucking dogs man. What is the best way to deal with them? I want to play like a ghost mostly.

Gaz_RB

So I just started playing this. I'm on the first mission after the intro and these fucking dogs man. What is the best way to deal with them? I want to play like a ghost mostly.

What I've started to do recently is use them as a distraction. Get them sniffing and barking far away from where you're headed, than try to slip back and around away from them. Just avoid line of sight. you can end up attracting guards too. It takes some practice, but it's the way to go if you don't want to kill them.

Scoot2005

Banned
I can't find an option for gamepad only sound(headphones) while playing on the t.v. This is bullshit. ZombiU and AC3 had it. Sigh... Game is pretty good though.

hao chi

That's disheartening to hear. Hopefully Ubisoft will make some adjustments to the spawn system.

Top Bottom