• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist |OT| Warning: May Contain Trace Amounts Of Stealth

Gaz_RB

So glad you don't have to complete the mission to get the laptop/dead drop collectible stuff. Just get it and quit it.

Holy shit... the Charlie missions are pretty tough. :D

So fun though. Found an exploit on realistic and lower though, don't know if it's been said yet.

Exploit:
once you unlock the paladin upgrade where you can customize your loadout in the field, you can throw unlimited mines and gadgets all over the map. Instead of holding a to restock after you throw all your mines, which normally would not restock you if you already threw your mines, press a to customize and the exit without changing anything and you have 3 more mines to throw down. Rinse and repeat, create a minefield, laugh as you realize how easy Charlie's missions can be.

Perfectionist is the way to go though.

Kazerei

Banned
So I just started playing this. I'm on the first mission after the intro and these fucking dogs man. What is the best way to deal with them? I want to play like a ghost mostly.

Climb up high. They can still sense if you're closely above them, but if you get high enough, they can't.

Median

So fun though. Found an exploit on realistic and lower though, don't know if it's been said yet.

Exploit:
once you unlock the paladin upgrade where you can customize your loadout in the field, you can throw unlimited mines and gadgets all over the map. Instead of holding a to restock after you throw all your mines, which normally would not restock you if you already threw your mines, press a to customize and the exit without changing anything and you have 3 more mines to throw down. Rinse and repeat, create a minefield, laugh as you realize how easy Charlie's missions can be.

Yep, that little trick really helped me and a buddy out on the second Briggs mission. Total hack, but we were getting destroyed and I regret nothing.

DirtyLarry

So glad you don't have to complete the mission to get the laptop/dead drop collectible stuff.
Wait, is this why I am not seeing a laptop anymore in a part of a mission I am doing, because I already collected it at some point? I thought i was tripping of some silent alarm or some shit like that, so I am literally on this same section as I keep restarting it hoping to get the laptop again. Wow. Wish I read this a few days ago, as I have literally wasted at least two hours trying to figure out what I was doing wrong in the particular section of a mission for the laptop to no longer appear!!!

Thanks for inadvertently letting me know I was doing something for no reason at all!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Yes it instantly saves the collectible so you don't need to get it again.

Unless it's a HVT, then you have to get to the next checkpoint it seems.

Also thanks for the American Consumption tips: I got past
the hostages
without turning the lights off which instantly puts them on the Panther path. That's pretty damn stupid since turning the lights off should be a ghost action, even if it "spooks" them. The only time it shouldn't spook is if I'm fully detected or someone sees me knocking someone out or something. Such a weird criteria for Panther/Ghost.

Also finally got an Capture point for myself. Leaves capping the intel in Extraction for the last multiplayer achievement besides level 10 for me. But I get the feeling that's going to be like running from a pack of raptors in Jurassic Park at this point with buffed spies and you having to be a Merc running home with it.

Also having a heartbreaking capture match with everyone going spies and we're 2/1 only for overtime to happen and them capping it into a 2/2 draw is heartbreakingly annoying. We won with the time over, why bother letting them continue to cap? They lost within the normal 10 mins. UGH!

Sober

To anyone looking to watch a walkthrough of the levels in Blacklist:
-Perfectionist Difficulty
-Ghost
-(no talking during V/O)
-fastest possible time
-Top-5 Leaderboard Scores:

...Then check out this guy called Centerstrain01, he's now my favorite Let's Player on Youtube.

Here is a playlist of his Perfectionist Ghost Walkthrough

"This will be a full Walkthrough on Perfectionist mode for Splinter Cell Blacklist. This will be complete stealth going for a ghost playthrough. I will show you how achieve the best scores and where all the little secrets are."

His Spies VS Mercs Playlist

EDIT: aww crap, gonna repost on new page... lol
I like watching this guy play, even his non-Splinter Cell stuff. Seems like a cool guy in general.

Love how he can do the missions on perfectionist like in the 15-25 minute range. Hope nobody gets the impression the levels are that short though, because most of those videos are not played blind but he has probably gone through it at least once or more times to find a really good speedrun path if anything.

TheSeks if you are a bit stuck watch this guy, I just finished watching his walkthrough of American Consumption on Perfectionist, full ghost, everyone undisturbed.

I like watching this guy play, even his non-Splinter Cell stuff. Seems like a cool guy in general.

Love how he can do the missions on perfectionist like in the 15-25 minute range. Hope nobody gets the impression the levels are that short though, because most of those videos are not played blind but he has probably gone through it at least once or more times to find a really good speedrun path if anything.

TheSeks if you are a bit stuck watch this guy, I just finished watching his walkthrough of American Consumption on Perfectionist, full ghost, everyone undisturbed.

Yay for Centerstrain01 fans! Glad to see other GAFers appreciate his quality of gameplay and thoughtfulness in making both blind runs and perfect runs. :D

TheSeks

I got through it, took out like 5 dudes for ghost mastery on Perfectionist though. I'm gonna have to check and see how he does it without touching anyone though.

TheSeks

OH WOW. I just learned another route for that first area.
But he misses the alt route to the right that gives an exploration +100 bonus right after he gets out of the first vent which is the route I take.
He also
takes a pipe route after the hostages where I climb the sides and "wallrun"/climb right under a guards nose

And there's
a vent in the area where the two guards block a route that Charlie hacks for you to get to the last area

His ghost is a bit more ballsy than mine. Like the
vent to the "roof" of the first Christmas decoration warhouse area, he takes a route that doesn't hug the left wall like I do.
Cuts off time but he gets really close to being detected at times. Interesting, something to try later on after I get no kill option engaged.

Pooya

It's like someone looked at the original trilogy, picked up all the things they did and fit them into Grimm's missions. :p

first one is a lot like lighthouse mission+bank mission in CT
second with the minefields and Russian setting reminds me a lot of the first game

haven't played the third one yet.
Also this looks very nice when it's dark and shadows everywhere like a SC game should be anyway, daylight missions look awful, muddy textures, low poly environment, lowres backdrops all look too obviously bad. Maybe stick to what works.

The Fisher's voice actor sounds too bored, his voice has no up or down, he always has this flat boring tone like it's another day in the office. I hope this voice doesn't stick around and maybe change it again next time.

So. I just received my EVGA 4GB 770. I'm trying to max this game out but it locks the framerate at 30. I would think the 770 could handle this game with no issues considering it eats BF3 for breakfast. Maxed BF3 out and I can't even hear this card. My 570 would scream and sing songs trying to max these games out.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
So glad you don't have to complete the mission to get the laptop/dead drop collectible stuff. Just get it and quit it.

Exploit:

Did the same thing and then hid in the certain areas with dead drops. xD

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
bummer we were #1 and #2 on the xbl leaderboards for the co-op Border Crossing mission but then somebody did it in 1:59 which is just ridiculous. I don't know how they took about 10 seconds off my time because I sprinted the whole thing.

in other news, SvM still sucks.

So. I just received my EVGA 4GB 770. I'm trying to max this game out but it locks the framerate at 30. I would think the 770 could handle this game with no issues considering it eats BF3 for breakfast. Maxed BF3 out and I can't even hear this card. My 570 would scream and sing songs trying to max these games out.
I have a 670 2GB on ultra and it's a flat 60 no drops. FXAA. If your AA is higher try cranking it down... I hear it's pretty demanding. Other than that I don't know. Sometimes in the past when my card was newer, vsync would not work properly unless forcing it from the control panel (either would run game at 30 or it would still tear). Maybe it was a driver thing. Anyways try those or I have no idea. Apart from AA your card should smoke this game like mine does.

Definitely under-optimized.

There is absolutely no reason my frame rate should be dropping to 15 when I'm using a 7970, and have anti-aliasing and all ambient occlusion turned off.

Hm, I wonder if something is wrong that I don't realize, then. Are you on the latest beta drivers? I run the game at 2560x1600, but I still get huge frame drops at 1080p.

nope. Haven't updated drivers in months lol.

whats killing in motion?

am i the only one that dislike grim missions? Too stressful with no saves or w/e :p

Gaz_RB

fuuuck... never could pull that off lol. is it just me or is it kinda unresponsive with marking? I have to hit rb a few times to tag guys... and sometimes guys are in front of another.

so you can move while m&e? the video is strange because it does seem like sam can move while doing the executing to get into range of m&e the next guy or something?

hmmm...

If you're moving when you hit Y, Sam keeps moving.

If you're moving when you hit Y, Sam keeps moving.

so... if 3 guys are tagged, 2 are 'red' but 1 is far. you moving and kill 2, and get into range of the 3rd, would you hit him?

mark and execute is determined by gun range right? So wouldn't it be the most effective with a sniper rifle?

mark and execute is determined by gun range right? So wouldn't it be the most effective with a sniper rifle?
Looks that way, yep.

Its a little odd that its always three marks, no matter the weapon. This varied weapon by weapon with Conviction, but that just meant that everybody used the pistol with 4 marks. I think I would've preferred a halfway point between the two - relating the number of marks to weapon type rather than individual weapon. So SMGs could have the most with snipers having the least. Would make loadouts take a bit more thought (on everything except perfection difficulty)

Gaz_RB

so... if 3 guys are tagged, 2 are 'red' but 1 is far. you moving and kill 2, and get into range of the 3rd, would you hit him?

Yeah I've had that happen a few times. Or if he moves into range. Got pretty good with Mark and Execute trying to get the Enhanced Lethality achievement

Yes about the sniper. You can mark and execute across the map

lol yeah, got the prototype sniper. Kinda feel sorry for the terrorists. Even bodyshots seem to take most, if not all guys out 1 shot.

Do you ever get more than 3 guys to mark in this? I recall in conviction you get a fuck load by end game.

are any of the pistols worth getting? The default one seems to be good enough for the most part.

You never get more (or less) than three marks. Its always three, max.

In terms of weaponry, it doesn't matter as much when it comes to mark and execute. But if you have armor piercing ammo you can sometimes down a helmeted enemy during mark and execute, and at other times you'll just knock their helmet off.

So in terms of mark and execute what matters for weapons is their range and power/armor piercing. When firing the guns manually, outside of mark and execute is where the weapon to weapon differences really matter. Ammo capacity, capability for silent use, size of reticule bloom, speed of bloom reduction, power, etc. In that case yeah, all the weapons and pistols have their benefits and drawbacks, but the prototypes tend to be the overall best.

Sullichin

Try lowering the AO options. For some reason that bottlenecked my FPS and when I lowered it / turned it off (don't remember which), I was getting a solid 60 with everything else maxed at 1080p. I have an AMD card though

out of curiosity, how good is the armor stat? If you have it maxed out can you 'tank'?

also, the funnest thing to do in this is hang outside windows and take out everyone that way, because ai's are funny around windows.

suaveric

Am I crazy, or is there no way to take out two guys at once (hand to hand)? I feel like you used to be able to do that in earlier SC games, unless I'm mixing that up with Batman.

look at his face, does sam look like a guy that runs around without some sort of murder/electroshock/noise-making/emp device in his hand?
Fixed for 100 ways to play ;P

Makes sense though as this game doesn't really have you blending into social situations like some parts of Conviction. You're always in your full-on ops suit, conduction operations, and stuff.

Gaz_RB

Just got 1000/1000. Amazing game, would probably be my GOTY if this wasn't such a damn good year. Great stealth, great action, and a high skill level needed for speed running an leaderboard chasing. Surprise hit of the year for me. I knew Bioshock and The Last of Us were going to be good but this one really came out of nowwhere. Really like the direction Splinter Cell is heading, and I hope that this one sold well enough to help the franchise leap into next gen with a bang. Or maybe just with a quiet neck snap.

Getting all those achievements burnt me out a little bit though, and I'll probably come back to it in a few days. If anyone needs help with any coop stuff or needs a good SvM partner on 360, let me know. GT: Gaz RB

Gonna go check out Saints Row 4 now.

look at his face, does sam look like a guy that runs around without some sort of murder device in his hand?

Lmao

Fixed for 100 ways to play ;P

Makes sense though as this game doesn't really have you blending into social situations like some parts of Conviction. You're always in your full-on ops suit, conduction operations, and stuff.

it was also weird in conviction because sam clearly shoves a fully upgraded out pistol up his ass.

and his rifles are magnetic to his sweater ;)

suaveric

mark and execute at close range lol.

think that would be too op for a 'stealth' game ;)

That's sucks. The game actively sets up points where you come across two guys talking to each other or patrolling below spots where you can hang and drop from. Why do that if I can't take them both at once with me hands?

Lothars

I am so annoyed I was doing the last briggs mission last night and we got to the last part of the mission and ran into a glitch where it wouldn't end.

did some reading and it sounds like it's if you die at the last part of the mission.

That's sucks. The game actively sets up points where you come across two guys talking to each other or patrolling below spots where you can hang and drop from. Why do that if I can't take them both at once with me hands?

like i said, mark both, run at one, do melee takeout, then press 'execute' and then sam smoothly takes out the other guy.

Top Bottom