• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Split/Second |OT|

If Blur's online community remains active (at least longer than Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing) than I may check it out.

I bought S/S for the single player and not really for the multiplayer. I'm hearing Blur's single player isn't as good.

But I doubt either game will remain active online for a long period of time. I just don't see the 360 or PS3 crowd playing any arcade racer continually online.

Oh well, good thing I still love shooters.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
If Blur's online community remains active (at least longer than Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing) than I may check it out.

I bought S/S for the single player and not really for the multiplayer. I'm hearing Blur's single player isn't as good.

But I doubt either game will remain active online for a long period of time. I just don't see the 360 or PS3 crowd playing any arcade racer continually online.

Oh well, good thing I still love shooters.

Im always shocked at how companies designed shooters to make them appeal to people so long online. Thees racers should have took things from some of those extremely long lasting shooters, and incorporated it in someway to the online.

They coulda done a point based system to unlocked new "powerplays" as you increased in rank online

Dedication Through Light said:
Im always shocked at how companies designed shooters to make them appeal to people so long online. Thees racers should have took things from some of those extremely long lasting shooters, and incorporated it in someway to the online.

They coulda done a point based system to unlocked new "powerplays" as you increased in rank online
I can understand from a developers' point of view that it'd be hard to do that kind of stuff with racing games.

Other than unlocking new cars, emblems, etc., I just don't see how they can do a system where you get better weapons or power plays because it'd make everything unbalanced. Unless it's something like Twisted Metal, but that's kind of a shooter when you think about it.

Cypher

SolidSnakex said:
Here's a video of a guy using the strategy that I mentioned to complete the Ryback Thunder Detonator race

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vb7A3062Lk

It should give you a good idea of exactly how to do it. You never let off the gas entirely at any point and you never touch the brakes at all. Just ease off it enough to make the turns. The Ryback is the hardest one though simply due to how slow it is. It's a race that you're only barely going to beat as that video shows.

Ah, thanks for the vid! After much repeat playthroughs, I got my golds on for my last 4 Detonator events. 100% Perfection! YES!!!!

Valru said:
split second is more innovative but ultimately fails in the amount of content, multiplayer, and poor sound design.

Poor sound design? What surround system setup do you have? Because I think SS has awesome music and thumping explosions that totally immerses you and gets your blood going in the heat of the races!

Cypher said:
Ah, thanks for the vid! After much repeat playthroughs, I got my golds on for my last 4 Detonator events. 100% Perfection! YES!!!!

Poor sound design? What surround system setup do you have? Because I think SS has awesome music and thumping explosions that totally immerses you and gets your blood going in the heat of the races!

Have you noticed a few of the audio problems? I noticed that sometimes an explosion from a powerplay will cause the games music to completely cut off until someone happens to trigger another one.

Though the music is awesome, when you are racing to the finish line and I love the detail of you can hear the responder in the helicopter say something when he is going to crash that dumptruck into the two locations

I kept trying Multiplayer on the 360 and it is fucking bull. Everyone has their DLC supercars making it impossible to compete in any sense. Thank god this was a rental, I would be sending an angry letter to the developers right about now otherwise. What nonsense it is to release these cars so early before people can unlock cars that can compete? If you want to play on Live, you actually need to buy this DLC pack to stand a chance. It's daylight robbery and fucking stinks.

Meus Renaissance said:
I kept trying Multiplayer on the 360 and it is fucking bull. Everyone has their DLC supercars making it impossible to compete in any sense. Thank god this was a rental, I would be sending an angry letter to the developers right about now otherwise. What nonsense it is to release these cars so early before people can unlock cars that can compete? If you want to play on Live, you actually need to buy this DLC pack to stand a chance. It's daylight robbery and fucking stinks.

People could have earned the cars by now, unless their cars lack the stickers/decals

People could have earned the cars by now, unless their cars lack the stickers/decals

Game's been out for how long? Most of us have lives and don't spend everyday gaming. Why penalise us? I wish there was an option of matchmaking car levels or something so everyone can have a chance to play.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Meus Renaissance said:
Game's been out for how long? Most of us have lives and don't spend everyday gaming. Why penalise us? I wish there was an option of matchmaking car levels or something so everyone can have a chance to play.

Yeah. I'm clueless about why there is no proper matchmaking based on car levels. It doesn't look like they put much effort into online anyway. It also runs like ass compared to offline mode (on PS3 at least).

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
TTP said:
Yeah. I'm clueless about why there is no proper matchmaking based on car levels. It doesn't look like they put much effort into online anyway. It also runs like ass compared to offline mode (on PS3 at least).

I imagine if there was matchmaking based on car levels it would take 10-20 minutes to find a game at lower levels based on what I've seen.

Cypher

Have you noticed a few of the audio problems? I noticed that sometimes an explosion from a powerplay will cause the games music to completely cut off until someone happens to trigger another one.

Is this problem inherent on all versions of the game? I'm playing it on 360. I did notice some "hiccups", like the music would cut out/stutter sometimes during powerplays.....but it would resume in a short bit. Nothing big.

crispyben

I decided to get 1st place in all events, and most of those left were Detonators... Man, it felt good to beat the target time by 0"04 on Downtown Central for the Hanzo FX350 Challenge :D Onlt two more events and that Gold trophy is mine. I suck online however, even though I have all cars but one unlocked... Oh well, it's been fun anyway.

Valru said:
split second is more innovative but ultimately fails in the amount of content, multiplayer, and poor sound design

whereas blur has rocksolid mp (bizzare creations are vets in this area) and is only a slight twist on a proven gameplay that will have legs

IMO blur is a buy, S/S is a rental.

I have yet to try Blur but yeah there is not much to S/S after you finish the single player. The only hard (or frustrating) are those time trial challenge. I think the game could use car customization like PURE where you get unlock basic chassis and then add shock / break / booster to adjust the car to your preference but may be that would break the game. Either way, on-line are all consist of one type of cars, though it does level the playing field if you have unlock all the cars.

crispyben

All Trophies obtained, except the online ones which I don't think I'll have the time to pursue... RDR here I come! Thanks for the fun S/S, see you for Season 2.

TTP said:

It run fine on 360 but I am thinking the lack of car class is probably due to the fact that it would make matchmaking take a lot longer. Look at Forza 3 with so many class choice and game choices the on-line pretty much just splinter into so many little groups not to mention many just run private rooms for thier racce.

I understand the decision behind the lack of car class on line but it still pretty lame to go into the room and everyone used that grey color LMP car.

Either the game started getting easier or I started getting good. I'm on Chapter 10 now and all 1st places done so far. Hoping I can see the rest through. Had trouble getting the detonator Power Plant time the other night only for last night to do it within 2 attempts and not break a sweat. Actually beat a couple 2 seconds faster.

Using the truck on airplane graveyard. Goal was 1:54.

mj205f.jpg

Then I got mad

1z5ub74.jpg

Zen

Banned
The demo actually impressed me. It felt like I was playing what a really good Bond car sequence should be like in a video game, the instance where the jet was crashing into the runway was staggering. :lol

I think I'll pick this up. How's the full product?

hauton said:
Games like Wipeout HD has shown you can do buttery-smooth 60fps in an arcade racer that looks pretty freaking GLORIOUS

step up or step off imho

Wipeout has much much less going on than Split Second, to be fair.

Zen said:
When there's a price drop (not used) it is! :lol

I spent 40 hours on the game, so I think it was worth it for full price. I didnt feel as gyped as I did when I bought MW2 on day one and traded it in after finishing one run through of the single player and half of the special ops missions.

I will say, there really isnt much to do after getting every decal (trophy/achievement)

rallyart

Neo Member
I'm playing this on computer, and after playing a few minutes (about 5), the screen freezes for 3-5 seconds and then game returns to normal, it is extremely annoying and I tried everything to fix it.

Im playing at 1680x1050 very high, steady 30 fps according to fraps

my rig:
i7 920@3.8ghz
xfx gt275 oc (700/1535/1150)
6GB ram
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Anyone knows any solution to this shit??????????

Haunted

My biggest complaint with the game is that you can't really crash other cars through contact and grinding like you can in Burnout. I mean, the powerplays are fantastic, but I feel a combination of meaningful full contact collisions (as it stands now, most opponents are barely affected by the player ramming into them) plus the amazingly entertaining powerplays would've made for an even better experience.

Zen said:
The demo actually impressed me. It felt like I was playing what a really good Bond car sequence should be like in a video game, the instance where the jet was crashing into the runway was staggering. :lol

I think I'll pick this up. How's the full product?
The demo is a good representation of the gameplay. There are much faster cars in the full game, though.

This is one of those games which make you go "holy shit, did you see that? holy shit!" when the high level powerplays are triggered (in rapid succession on some tracks). :D

Haunted said:
My biggest complaint with the game is that you can't really crash other cars through contact and grinding like you can in Burnout. I mean, the powerplays are fantastic, but I feel a combination of meaningful full contact collisions (as it stands now, most opponents are barely affected by the player ramming into them) plus the amazingly entertaining powerplays would've made for an even better experience.

The demo is a good representation of the gameplay. There are much faster cars in the full game, though.

This is one of those games which make you go "holy shit, did you see that? holy shit!" when the high level powerplays are triggered (in rapid succession on some tracks). :D

Which lead to the question why wasn't playback recoding not part of the feature set. This game is just beg for replay video.

I have AI cars crash into me and help me win the race by pushing me pass the finish line.

Haunted

antiquegamer said:
Which lead to the question why wasn't playback recoding not part of the feature set. This game is just beg for replay video.

I have AI cars crash into me and help me win the race by pushing me pass the finish line.
Oh, absolutely. The sparse Instant Replays just don't cut it.

Managed to finally beat all Single Player races in 1st. Wow, some of them were quite tough. That canyon level for the first few times was unbelievably hard. It's just getting to know the right ways to approach and manoeuvre the course.

All that and I still haven't come first in an online race :lol . Hell, I've managed to beat a Rank 10 and above (Rank 1 actually) for the trophy... but coming first... HA!

Really enjoyed the game, I think about mid way through the difficulty jumps up a tad bit too much but, you either get accustomed to it/or you get better and later in it's not too difficult. Thought the ending was needless and cheesy mind. Don't think we need to ruin it with silly stories dragging the game down. I don't care why I can set things off or who's doing it... just let me do it and be done with.

It certainly has potential to be even better if they do make another (sales pending) but I have to say it's been the best arcade racer I've played in a long time. The online I think does let the package down though, but single player has certainly plenty to keep you going for a bit.

Overall I'd give it a 8/10.

ElFly

I played the PS3 demo and really liked it.

How's the split screen mode? I don't know if the power plays work well when playing against humans.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I take the mentality of "if you build it, they will come".

See: Burnout Paradise.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is there a 'best' car? I'm really liking the cobretti gt 500 ( I think that's what it's called). I keep winning what should be way better cars on paper, but they seem slower in races. Is it because the race lineup changes based on your chosen car, so if i choose a fast one, everyone else has a fast one too?

A lot of the faster cars are quite twitchy too, eg losing the back end just driving round a corner. I much prefer them holding the road, only breaking traction when I tell it to

The Gamestop and BB cars are all useless if you've played the game at all. They're available only in quickplay and the stats are all comparable to the cars you start the game with. Such a useless preorder bonus.

Also: I like how a lot of the trophies are for things that, while I'm playing, I think, "Hey, that seems like something that is obscure enough to be a trophy." *bing* :lol For example: Use someone elses shortcut and fail to use someone elses shortcut.

mrklaw said:
Is there a 'best' car? I'm really liking the cobretti gt 500 ( I think that's what it's called). I keep winning what should be way better cars on paper, but they seem slower in races. Is it because the race lineup changes based on your chosen car, so if i choose a fast one, everyone else has a fast one too?

A lot of the faster cars are quite twitchy too, eg losing the back end just driving round a corner. I much prefer them holding the road, only breaking traction when I tell it to
The Elite GT I believe has max on acceleration and speed though has one bar for strength and not much drift. I prefer the Cyclone which is only two bars behind the Elite in terms of the speed, but has a better rating for drift and strength.

Got this for my birthday yesterday. Really cool so far. I'm about three races through my first episode. God I wish this had a cinematic replay function. I'd love to see everything happening around me.

vermadas

Well, I finished the season championship today and finished first. I'm not sure if I'll go back and get 1st in all the races. Certain events in this game test the limits of my frustration levels. The air revenge event in the 12th episode in particular is pure bullshit.

Despite all the flaws, this is the most fun I've had with an arcade racing game since Burnout Paradise. It's unfortunate that the game's difficulty spikes so early in the campaign; it keeps me from recommending the game to friends with HD systems who would have far less patience than myself.

dskillzhtown said:
It's 39.99 this week at Best Buy.

Amazon has pricematched this as well.

vermadas said:
Well, I finished the season championship today and finished first. I'm not sure if I'll go back and get 1st in all the races. Certain events in this game test the limits of my frustration levels. The air revenge event in the 12th episode in particular is pure bullshit.

That's certainly the toughest Air Revenge time to beat and took me a few goes but it's not all that. Just make sure you build as many drifts up as possible when you're not being fired at and perfect each missle attack, then fire a Level 2 Powerplay at him every time it's full.

Just got an online rank 1 earlier so I've got all the trophys except the 2 Dev time trials. Don't think I have the patience to try and crack those. I was having a good time online past few days. I think once you've got all the cars unlocked then online is great, but if you're not up to par then you aren't really gonna get anywhere except if you're lucky.

Probably play a few split screen games now and then. But I've kind of learned a lot of the tracks inside out. I believe 2/3 don't have any route changes (that I've seen) which is a shame. I think some of those tracks had the potential to be better. I think my fave is still that demo level (Airport) which had a bit of everything. Power Plant was probably my least fave.

Katana_Strikes said:
Just got an online rank 1 earlier so I've got all the trophys except the 2 Dev time trials. Don't think I have the patience to try and crack those. I was having a good time online past few days. I think once you've got all the cars unlocked then online is great, but if you're not up to par then you aren't really gonna get anywhere except if you're lucky.

Probably play a few split screen games now and then. But I've kind of learned a lot of the tracks inside out. I believe 2/3 don't have any route changes (that I've seen) which is a shame. I think some of those tracks had the potential to be better. I think my fave is still that demo level (Airport) which had a bit of everything. Power Plant was probably my least fave.

I didnt know the Airport level had at that first area where you can route change, and second route change, where you are on the runway going beside the passenger boarding area of the airport area and then opens up onto the actual main runway on the level.

But yeah good luck on the two Beat the Team trophys--though I would at least try it, it feels good to have beat them (and theres tons of youtube videos out on them).

vermadas

Katana_Strikes said:
That's certainly the toughest Air Revenge time to beat and took me a few goes but it's not all that. Just make sure you build as many drifts up as possible when you're not being fired at and perfect each missle attack, then fire a Level 2 Powerplay at him every time it's full.

There are several areas on that track where the road is so narrow that you'll sometimes get waves of missiles that are impossible to evade perfectly. Plus, there are lots of curves... which is good for drifting, but horrible for seeing the missile targets and plotting a path if the heli launches a wave right after you clear a turn. Maybe I needed to use a different vehicle, I dunno. I replayed it numerous times and the best I could get is sixth place. Ugh.

So... are the cars named after action stars? I noticed Hanzo (Sonny Chiba played Hattori Hanzo in a Shadow Warriors and Kill Bill), Ryback (Seagal as Casey Ryback from Under Siege 1/2), and Cobretti (Stallone as Marion "Cobra" Cobretti in Cobra). Those are the only 3 manufacturers I've got so far in the game. Are there any others?

Top Bottom