• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Split/Second |OT|

What the hell at the PC demo!? That's suppose to convince people to buy the game!? Yeah, good luck with that.

30fps has been proven time and again to be completely inadequate for arcade racers, it just flat out doesn't work. If you've got to pull that BS on consoles to remain competitive then fine, go ahead so long as you leave my PC version alone. Cap the framerate in the PC version as well, how can you even begin to explain that level of incompetence? If you can't get the PC port to run at a higher framerate then don't even bother, its worthless anyway.

mavs

Amazing that a game like this can be had for $20 at release. (preorder, but still.)

I must be oblivious to framerate, I just put it on very high and 19x12 and jumped in.

Psy-Phi

The frame rate is fine. Ridge Racer was at 30fps, and many other games were too but nobody complained. Back in the PS era nobody complmained on bulliten boards about 30fps in thier racing games. Nothings wrong with 30fps, what's wrong is if it jumps around instead of being at a stable frame rate. And sticking to 30 is completely playable. I'd like 60 sure. But if at Very High my system can't handle 30 100% of the time, then I shudder to think what my quad core at 3.2ghz and GTX260 with 896mb of RAM, with 4GB of 1066 would do trying to push 60 consistently.

hauton

Games like Wipeout HD has shown you can do buttery-smooth 60fps in an arcade racer that looks pretty freaking GLORIOUS

step up or step off imho

hauton said:
Games like Wipeout HD has shown you can do buttery-smooth 60fps in an arcade racer that looks pretty freaking GLORIOUS

step up or step off imho

Sure... wipeout proved you could do that if you were an internal sony team, working solely on PS3.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Psy-Phi said:
The frame rate is fine. Ridge Racer was at 30fps, and many other games were too but nobody complained. Back in the PS era nobody complmained on bulliten boards about 30fps in thier racing games. Nothings wrong with 30fps, what's wrong is if it jumps around instead of being at a stable frame rate. And sticking to 30 is completely playable. I'd like 60 sure. But if at Very High my system can't handle 30 100% of the time, then I shudder to think what my quad core at 3.2ghz and GTX260 with 896mb of RAM, with 4GB of 1066 would do trying to push 60 consistently.
There's an option called v-sync as I'm sure you know.

Heck if the files were not encrypted you could probably change the FPS it caps at.

Limiting the PC version and being ok with that is mind boggling to me.

Holy shit, this is getting tough now. On about Season 8 and the races are quite brutal to get in first. Think I might as well give up that challenge and just try to get as high as I can now.

I am episode 5 and that chanpionship race is brutal. The problem is how ridiculously slow your car is all of a sudden when you are in first. I trigger the 2nd tier power play and bring the building down take out 4-5 racers (yes I was last) and pass all the others that were furthur ahead. I fly over the buildings of what presume to be short-cut but by the time I get back to the track, AI cars just zoom by me and left me in the dust.

I can see that it is winnable, but my it is going to be frustrating.

-viper-

Banned
Is it me or is this game really hard? On the PS3 I was able to drift while accelerating. On the PC, it seems like I have to let go of the gas to drift. But this takes too long and the drift is really long and slow. Everytime I drift around a corner on I lose VALUABLE time causing the A.I. to get ahead. It's really annoying. I'm using the controller BTW.

Also, the game runs BEAUTIFULLY at 1080p high settings. Looks insane. But when I tried very high, it was unplayable. Like 10FPS or something :p

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I just got the PC version yesterday and it's at least as good as the console version, so I guess I got my $20 worth. Very high looks very tasty, but it's really framey at 1080p. I dropped it down to 720p and it was relatively smooth. I have a 5850/i5 750, both stock speeds. I also used triple buffering through D3D Overrider. It auto detects my 360 controller and maps the controls, which is nice.

I can already tell that the single player isn't going to have legs, so I hope splitscreen and online work ok.

Anyone here redeem their codes for the BB or GameStop cars? I'm wondering if they're worth it, or if it's like Burnout where you can't use them until a certain part of the game. Or the Disney car that you can only use in Quick Play.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Got this yesterday and was disappointed how easy it felt at first. I managed to get 1st in every event on my first try in the first 3 eps 4 Elite races and then BAM, suddenly the AI are cheating$%^#ers!!! :lol Now I am struggling and it looks like you may just have to soldier on slowly earning points to unlock faster cars then go back and try the earlier races.

I love the game but it has it's problems. Would be nice if online matched you up with similar cars. So far I have a car rated about 4-5 bars and these other guys all have maxed out cars. Yeah I know, youy can buy the unlock on the MP but would be good if there was an option to not play with the ones who paid to unlock.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
hauton said:

step up or step off imho

Yes but Wipeout has fixed tracks and not much to it whereas SS relies on hectic explosions and route changes. Think of the mutli. On your screen in the distance is a small ship riding into the dock, on the players ahead their screens are filled with a whole heap of action, explosions, particles etc etc.

I got to Episode 8 and so far it is tougher but not impossible. That one car that look like Austin-Martin DB9 is a beast and I used it for most of the race and Elite championship one.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
hmm. Enjoying it, but it'll probably be traded in pretty soon.

The UI is all weird. They show you a preview of 'coming next' which is fine, then it loads and you select the episode and it immediately plays 'now on blah blah' which is basically the same thing and unskippable.

If I choose an episode, why does it then take me to a screen where I choose my episode? WTF I just did that?

Rubberband AI is annoying but I can live with it for now. Although whats the point of using shortcuts if the AI just drives faster around the rest of the course so you have no advantage from it?

There were two things I liked the idea of - the TV show aspect and the splosions.

The TV stuff isn't done well at all. A couple of intro video clips that just look like NFS shift and can't be skipped doesn't make it feel like a TV show. No commentator, not on screen graphics like a sports channel?

And the spectacle is a bit lost on me. Half the time I'm in the lead and fully charged but can't use it because everyone is behind me - fuck it, let me blow something up. The rest of the time I'm behind and using tier 1 stuff to try and work my way up the field because they're spread out. And the tier one stuff is usually a bit shit. Oh, random explosion up the road that I can't see - might as well just be burnout without the physical contact. Some of them are nice - the sweeping cranes etc.

mavs

Won the championship. Awesome pretty much the whole way through. I'm not a big fan of the car physics, but at least the cars are different enough to keep the driving interesting most of the time.

One of the best things about the game is how quickly it restarts the race. It's not instant like Pure, but it's fast enough that if I'm fucked I don't hesitate to reset.

The cars get better later in the campaign. The good ones mostly drive like missiles and spin out easily if you push them too far, but it's much nicer than getting blown away on the straights.

Oh, and fuck those cranes.

I hate those wrecking ball on the power plant track ... and the damm I-beam.

This game feel to me a lot like Stuntman Ignition with Burnout minus all the crazy frustration of Stuntman. At the end of some race I wish you could watch the TV episode because there are a lot of OMG moments. I am not sure why they overlook such a feature when the game is all about being in a TV show episode.

I can't wait to play more but I am stuck at work.

NinjaBoiX

brain_stew said:
What the hell at the PC demo!? That's suppose to convince people to buy the game!? Yeah, good luck with that.

30fps has been proven time and again to be completely inadequate for arcade racers, it just flat out doesn't work. If you've got to pull that BS on consoles to remain competitive then fine, go ahead so long as you leave my PC version alone. Cap the framerate in the PC version as well, how can you even begin to explain that level of incompetence? If you can't get the PC port to run at a higher framerate then don't even bother, its worthless anyway.
Jesus brain-stew, you were just in the Blur OT bitching about the same thing. Just because your precious PC can't outperform our lowly consoles, doesn't make the game shit. Maybe it's your PC. ; ) And also, you might want to send Codemasters a memo to tell them that "30 fps racers don't work". Those poor fools have been doing it all wrong for years!

FoxSpirit

Metalmurphy said:
I'm using a Dualshock 3 working with a Xbox 360 controller emulator and it works fine, so standard controller should work as well.

Okay, off topic: where? I have been searching for an emulator that works for ages >.<

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
-NinjaBoiX- said:
Jesus brain-stew, you were just in the Blur OT bitching about the same thing. Just because your precious PC can't outperform our lowly consoles, doesn't make the game shit. Maybe it's your PC. ; ) And also, you might want to send Codemasters a memo to tell them that "30 fps racers don't work". Those poor fools have been doing it all wrong for years!
It's not the PC in this case. Split/Second has a 30fps framerate cap. If someone bought the game without knowing about the cap then they have every right to complain. 60fps is a big reason for getting a PC port over the console version. If the PC version of a console port can't do 60fps even on high end hardware it loses some of its appeal.

That said, the game is definitely playable. It just doesn't look nearly as good as it would at 60fps. But for $20 I can't complain.

I've just hit episode 6 and it's beginning to feel a bit... samey. I've had all the awesome "HOLY SHIT" moments of seeing some crazy stuff happen on the track, and now I'm just getting frustrated with being unable to maintain a lead for more than half a lap due to the AI always catching up magically and the inability to protect myself.

I might stop now before I play the game too much. My feelings towards the game are positive, and I want to keep it that way. It's a solid foundation that gives the sequel a possibility of being awesome.

... Blur time? I think so. :D

mrklaw said:
hmm. Enjoying it, but it'll probably be traded in pretty soon.

The UI is all weird. They show you a preview of 'coming next' which is fine, then it loads and you select the episode and it immediately plays 'now on blah blah' which is basically the same thing and unskippable.
Another thing about the UI is when you want to back out of a season and it says "hit O for the previous screen" and instead of taking you back to the selection screen, it takes you to the previous screen. How literal-minded was the person who designed that?

Cypher

Completed the entire 12-episode season.

Got 1st place Gold on all episodes, except for 4 of the Detonator ones where I can only get 2nd place......those target times for 1st place are really nasty and brutal. No matter how many times I come close to perfect runs (lines, drifting, shortcuts, etc.) I always miss the time by less than 2 seconds! How the hell do you guys do this!?

Oh yeah, the Cobretti 530 GTS is your best car friend. Zippy acceleration and stability make for a car that keep up with the pack once the AI gets cheap and insane from Episode 6 onwards.....

Psy-Phi

Foliorum Viridum said:
I've just hit episode 6 and it's beginning to feel a bit... samey. I've had all the awesome "HOLY SHIT" moments of seeing some crazy stuff happen on the track, and now I'm just getting frustrated with being unable to maintain a lead for more than half a lap due to the AI always catching up magically and the inability to protect myself.

I might stop now before I play the game too much. My feelings towards the game are positive, and I want to keep it that way. It's a solid foundation that gives the sequel a possibility of being awesome.

... Blur time? I think so. :D
Part of the fun in the game for me is keeping ahead of the AI and getting knocked around but still staying out front somehow. The races since Ep5 started are just mad ridiculous, but in a good way. So much carnage and destruction. I can hardly drive for 10 solid seconds without trying to be blown up. It's awesome :p.

A sequel could be great. They really need to own the idea of the tv show. I want an announcer next time around. One that you can turn off however in case it becomes too repetitive. But being a TV show, it should have some host going bananas over the events happening. Some extra view options would be nice, and the ability to when you look behind yourself make explosions happen to try to keep the pack at bay. That or as said by Giantbomb, some kind of boost mechanism to help you stay ahead.

Car customization could be awesome as well, very light though. Like armor for stabililty/strength or making it lighter for more speed.

Cypher said:
Got 1st place Gold on all episodes, except for 4 of the Detonator ones where I can only get 2nd place......those target times for 1st place are really nasty and brutal. No matter how many times I come close to perfect runs (lines, drifting, shortcuts, etc.) I always miss the time by less than 2 seconds! How the hell do you guys do this!?

Th easiest way to beat Detonator races is to not drift. Anytime you get to a sharp turn you should let off the gas slightly (just enough so that your car can take the turn without drifting) and then get back on the gas as soon as your car is straight. It can take some time to get the hang of but once you do the Detonator races become very easy to beat.

Cypher

SolidSnakex said:
Th easiest way to beat Detonator races is to not drift. Anytime you get to a sharp turn you should let off the gas slightly (just enough so that your car can take the turn without drifting) and then get back on the gas as soon as your car is straight. It can take some time to get the hang of but once you do the Detonator races become very easy to beat.

I've been doing that as well....and no matter how well I do, I always finish slightly above the target time......argh! Practice makes perfect, but it seems the target times were the developers own times.....haha!

* Ryback Thunder
* Cobretti Pursuit
* Hanzo FX350
* Ryback Firestorm

These Detonator challenges are the ones pissing me off. Getting all 3600 points in the full season nets you the Ryback Firestorm of course, but is it worth the time and trouble? I'm content with my Cobretti 530 GTs..... :)

Cypher said:
I've been doing that as well....and no matter how well I do, I always finish slightly above the target time......argh! Practice makes perfect, but it seems the target times were the developers own times.....haha!

* Ryback Thunder
* Cobretti Pursuit
* Hanzo FX350
* Ryback Firestorm

These Detonator challenges are the ones pissing me off. Getting all 3600 points in the full season nets you the Ryback Firestorm of course, but is it worth the time and trouble? I'm content with my Cobretti 530 GTs..... :)

Here's a video of a guy using the strategy that I mentioned to complete the Ryback Thunder Detonator race

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vb7A3062Lk

It should give you a good idea of exactly how to do it. You never let off the gas entirely at any point and you never touch the brakes at all. Just ease off it enough to make the turns. The Ryback is the hardest one though simply due to how slow it is. It's a race that you're only barely going to beat as that video shows.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
dark10x said:
Well, shit, the PC version has a 30 fps cap on it. :\ No matter the settings, you're not getting higher than 30 fps.

That said, at least I can use Very High and get a rock solid framerate. I just wish the game supported 60 fps and can't begin to imagine why they locked it. :(
yeah its crucial

Aaron

Psy-Phi said:
Part of the fun in the game for me is keeping ahead of the AI and getting knocked around but still staying out front somehow. The races since Ep5 started are just mad ridiculous, but in a good way. So much carnage and destruction. I can hardly drive for 10 solid seconds without trying to be blown up. It's awesome :p.
Not so fun near the end of the game. I was out in first place during a race, got taken out by debris THAT DIDN'T EVEN HIT ME. Seriously, the replay showed the big wheel rolling towards me and my car just exploding without coming into any contact with it. Then suddenly I'm in seventh place.

The game just flat out isn't polished or refined enough to justify the difficulty in the final episodes. Luck becomes too great a factor.

crispyben

RDR showed up yesterday, so I decided to make a final push to the last episode, which I conquered valiantly :D Both Elite races for the last two episodes were unlocked, so I rushed through them, taking first place at my first attempts! I thought the ending was a nice touch, it could make for a slightly different sequel... I won every event I entered so far except the dreaded Detonators, I'll have to get crackin' on these.

allegate said:
Another thing about the UI is when you want to back out of a season and it says "hit O for the previous screen" and instead of taking you back to the selection screen, it takes you to the previous screen. How literal-minded was the person who designed that?

Yeah, that is pretty annoying. I do that constantly and have to push A and then Y to go to episode selection. It's a really strange UI design.

Mdk7

This game is sooo amazing....I'm having a blast, really!
It's just so intense and fun to play!!

I'm at episode 6 at the moment, all gold medals save for two silver in two Detonators.

BTW they totally fucked up with the demo: the difficulty level was far too easy (but it's not that simple to find the right balance for both hardcore and casuals with just one race...), but the worst choice was the car selection.
The demo gave no sense of speed AT ALL, while the final game is surely ace from this point of view.

crispyben

Fuck Beat the Team II: The Revenge :lol I did 1'19"01 once by luck with a random car, and I haven't been able to go under 1'20" with any of the cars used in Youtube videos...

EDIT: of course, as soon as I post this, I pull it off with the Cobretti 530 GTS: 1'17"73 :D

crispyben said:
Fuck Beat the Team II: The Revenge :lol I did 1'19"01 once by luck with a random car, and I haven't been able to go under 1'20" with any of the cars used in Youtube videos...

EDIT: of course, as soon as I post this, I pull it off with the Cobretti 530 GTS: 1'17"73 :D

lol it took me 8+ hours to get it with the Cyclone. I hope they dont put a trophy like that in the sequel (if they make one)

gillty

Banned
brain_stew said:

Don't worry your not missing out on much, sure I'd admit the game is fun... buts $50-60 fun it is not. Very gimmicky.

Play on line a bit today since I have a better cars now, but everyone is using that top level car (the one that look like LM prototype race car), which suck.

It was fun still but for some reason the game only alternate between two tracks the airport and the shipyard. Is this set by host or some random track...anyway play about 6 games and those were the only 2 tracks that que up.

I manage to get to episode 11 will finish the game this weekend I think. It's fun but definiely not long lasting. It was worth the $45.00 + 10 credit from Amazon.

antiquegamer said:
Play on line a bit today since I have a better cars now, but everyone is using that top level car (the one that look like LM prototype race car), which suck.

It was fun still but for some reason the game only alternate between two tracks the airport and the shipyard. Is this set by host or some random track...anyway play about 6 games and those were the only 2 tracks that que up.

I manage to get to episode 11 will finish the game this weekend I think. It's fun but definiely not long lasting. It was worth the $45.00 + 10 credit from Amazon.

I use the Cyclone online, that top car can be beat with any car that has like the 7 or 8 bars for speed in actuality if you time the powerplays right.

dk_ said:
Split Second destroys Blur IMO. Who's with me?
I think S/S is more innovative, unique, and fresher than Blur and the single player is stronger.

But I think from the impressions and reviews I'm getting, Blur's multiplayer might be stronger and might have longer legs.

But I don't think both are the killer arcade racers that Mario Kart or Burnout are. They're pretty good though.

I do prefer S/S. It just feels more original and the graphics + the background designs look more inspiring than Blur's washed out neon look.

gillty

Banned
dk_ said:
Split Second destroys Blur IMO. Who's with me?
split second is more innovative but ultimately fails in the amount of content, multiplayer, and poor sound design

whereas blur has rocksolid mp (bizzare creations are vets in this area) and is only a slight twist on a proven gameplay that will have legs

IMO blur is a buy, S/S is a rental.

Top Bottom