• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

I like the idea of Rey being Obi-Wan's grand daughter or something.

Like... maybe Obi Wan got freaky in those 18 years on Tatooine. The women went elsewhere afterwards but Obi had to stay and watch over Luke. Later she finds out she is knocked up.

And maybe Rey is abandoned on TaTwoine because force sensitive people are frowned upon after seeing the damage the Sith and Jedi did. After the clone wars and the rise of the empire I can see some people having enough with that force stuff.

If you are gonna make her related to someone I'd go with that over Luke. If they ever make that often rumoured Obi Wan movie set between 3 and 4 then just slap a love story in there as well and BOOM!

Would have made a good insert between episodes 8 and 9 but I guess thats gonna be the young Han Solo movie.

Speaking of. You know what I really dont want? A young Han Solo movie. Pre ANH Han Solo is a dirt bag space smuggler. Now his back story is going to be some grand bullshit where he saved the galaxy before ever meeting Luke.

Palpable

They could've done so much more with Finn, but we got what we got

I was actually quite satisfied with his role. I would've thought it'd be dumb that the one stormtrooper that decides to leave the Order is somehow Force Sensitive and badass with a lightsaber. He turned out to be comic relief and did a good job of it. If that slice up the back doesn't leave him paralyzed, I will be disappointed. All too often do characters escape life changing injuries because movie.

Agreed. I rolled my eyes when I saw they'd copped out by one-upping the Death Star. What's next? A weapon that's built out of an entire system? It throws planets at other planets.

Consider that the best film of the OT (ESB, of course) didn't have any kind of superweapon. Sure, our heroes need a goal, but it can't just be the same shit over and over again. Han even said as much in TFA.

Yeah, ESB was the best of the OT and there was no super weapon. There does not need to be a massive planet wrecker for the Resistance to destroy for there to be a movie. ESB showed us this.

E-Cat

You can say that again.

HarKSeB.jpg
[
Ohh, she is already wearing a collar...
seinfeld__s_newman_by_aprilr-d3861pn.jpg

Fj0823

Speaking of. You know what I really dont want? A young Han Solo movie. Pre ANH Han Solo is a dirt bag space smuggler. Now his back story is going to be some grand bullshit where he saved the galaxy before ever meeting Luke.

Make it a Heist Film. Boom!

It'll still be bad

sphagnum

Banned
A comedic sidekick that wants to run

He grows throughout the movie so that he faces his fears and becomes a brave fighter on the right side. That's the character arc, and it was done well.

It wouldn't be interesting if he was just heroic right from the start. There'd be no story for Finn to tell there.

I dont think Reys parent's identities are important. Not knowing where she came from gives her an uncertainty of who she is. Just how Finn is discovering who he is now that hes free from the Empire's control. They are blank slates and their pasts are unimportant. Theyve entered this larger world and have to decide what kind of people they will be.

Ashhong

There was this idea I saw somewhere playing on Yoda's "no, there is another" from ESB, which IIRC was intended on being Luke's sister but his sister (and maybe that was a play on how Luke at one point was going to be female) was going to be a new character and they instead just moved it to being Leia because it was easier/simpler but they never went anywhere with Leia in that manner. So now instead Rey would now be the other that Yoda meant. I mean, when you look at it, Luke turning Anakin back and killing the Emperor was meant to bring balance back to the Force but it doesn't seem like it did that at all or only for a very limited time since Snoke was still out there. So now we have Rey set to be the one who finally, actually accomplishes what the vague (and kinda dumb) prophecy meant.

Are you trying to say that Yoda's "there is another" comment was talking about Rey? Because that is stupid and makes no sense.

He grows throughout the movie so that he faces his fears and becomes a brave fighter on the right side. That's the character arc, and it was done well.

It wouldn't be interesting if he was just heroic right from the start. There'd be no story for Finn to tell there.
My point is that it's cliche. Comedic sidekick that wants to run has been done before. I understand his arc. There's nothing wrong with it being cliche, but I kind of wanted something different.

Make it a Heist Film. Boom!

Organa's Eleven has to steal a ton of money to pay for their war machine.

aliengmr

Agreed. I rolled my eyes when I saw they'd copped out by one-upping the Death Star. What's next? A weapon that's built out of an entire system? It throws planets at other planets.

Consider that the best film of the OT (ESB, of course) didn't have any kind of superweapon. Sure, our heroes need a goal, but it can't just be the same shit over and over again. Han even said as much in TFA.

I doubt they would use it again. Unlike ROTJ, the plot of which centered around destroying it, Starkiller was a throw away plot device used to quickly take out the Republic and set up the world going forward.

If you are going to match the beats of the OT and you need to destroy planets quickly, Death Star 3 is the way to go. Seriously, nobody wants the trilogy to just be a retread going forward, pretty sure that message was picked up loud and clear.

From a purely "narrative" perspective, it could certainly work. Pre-Disney canon he didn't save the galaxy, his girlfriend died transmitting the the Death Star plans to the Tantive IV. Other than that he saved Chewie and spent a bit of time in the Imperial Navy. I agree that him saving the galaxy would be stupid, but there's plenty more to go in to. I can't seen anyone who is tasked with doing that movie doing that.

The catch is casting, boy that is going to be tough.

I dont think Reys parent's identities are important. Not knowing where she came from gives her an uncertainty of who she is. Just how Finn is discovering who he is now that hes free from the Empire's control. They are blank slates and their pasts are unimportant. Theyve entered this larger world and have to decide what kind of people they will be.

The "everyone is related" thing is annoying, I'm OK with Rey being a Skywalker, it is likely unavoidable... but Finn should just be Finn, not Lando's kid.

Both characters are strong enough on their own to not have to be related to existing characters.

I like the idea of Rey being Obi-Wan's grand daughter or something.

Like... maybe Obi Wan got freaky in those 18 years on Tatooine. The women went elsewhere afterwards but Obi had to stay and watch over Luke. Later she finds out she is knocked up.

And maybe Rey is abandoned on TaTwoine because force sensitive people are frowned upon after seeing the damage the Sith and Jedi did. After the clone wars and the rise of the empire I can see some people having enough with that force stuff.

If you are gonna make her related to someone I'd go with that over Luke. If they ever make that often rumoured Obi Wan movie set between 3 and 4 then just slap a love story in there as well and BOOM!

Would have made a good insert between episodes 8 and 9 but I guess thats gonna be the young Han Solo movie.

Agreed. Is anyone really asking for Hollywood to cast a young Han Solo? For that matter, they would probably cast a young Lando and show how Lando lost the Falcon to Han in the first place. Seriously though, no one is asking for this.

The only reason a recasted Obi-Wan worked in the prequels is because Alec Guiness was a side character rather than a main character AND Lucas actually nailed the casting with Ewan McGregor. Once you recast an iconic character like Han or Luke, you're just asking for troubles.

It'll be important and it will be revealed at some point and it will add some level of gravitas to each characters arc in the trilogy. I think...

EGM1966

Finn was basically comic relief. I enjoyed his part in the movie, but to think a comic relief character somehow becomes a badass and saves the day is dumb. They did that shit in MGS4 with Johnny, never again.

Well he was a little more than that. In addition Finn clearly served as the classic "audience relatable character" to give us an "in" to the world of the film. This is often combined with comic relief too so perhaps you could even see the two elements as merged.

The did give him a decent character arc too so he's not just one not comic relief either.

They will have to decide going forward though what his role is overall. TFA was chock full of overlapping old/new characters with many overlapping narrative roles (hey look it's comic relief C3PO come to challenge Finn for the role).

Given his background as a Trooper I'll be a little disappointed if they don't build him out in some way. I don't want him to be like Han Solo but he and Poe combined serve nicely as "normal folk" to relate to amongst those with force powers or big, family angst angles.

Oozer3993

There was this idea I saw somewhere playing on Yoda's "no, there is another" from ESB, which IIRC was intended on being Luke's sister but his sister (and maybe that was a play on how Luke at one point was going to be female) was going to be a new character and they instead just moved it to being Leia because it was easier/simpler but they never went anywhere with Leia in that manner. So now instead Rey would now be the other that Yoda meant. I mean, when you look at it, Luke turning Anakin back and killing the Emperor was meant to bring balance back to the Force but it doesn't seem like it did that at all or only for a very limited time since Snoke was still out there. So now we have Rey set to be the one who finally, actually accomplishes what the vague (and kinda dumb) prophecy meant.

Fun fact: That line, when written, was meant to tease the main protagonist of the sequel trilogy (VII, VIII, IX). And that wasn't necessarily Luke's sister (Luke having a sister was mentioned in the first draft of Empire Strikes Back, but dropped from every subsequent draft. "There is another" wasn't added until later drafts.) But this was back when the sequel trilogy was going to be filmed right after Return of the Jedi. After the stressful shoot of Empire Strikes Back, George ditched plans for it and tossed everything into Return of the Jedi. So Leia was turned into Luke's sister so she could be the "another" without having to jarringly introduce a new character.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I don't think I can agree that they gave Finn a decent arc, to me he feels like the biggest wasted opportunity in the entire film.

Pretty much, Finn seems like he is cut from the same cloth, except he is really green and lacks the confidence. I'm looking forward to seeing him progress into a more confident badass as the series continues.

Not at all. Rey is Han+Luke. She even owns the Falcon and has Chewie as her co pilot. Finn is closer to Jar-Jar/C-3PO than any others.

Johndoey

Banned
Not at all. Rey is Han+Luke. She even owns the Falcon and has Chewie as her co pilot. Finn is closer to Jar-Jar/C-3PO than any others.

Finn is like Leia and Han i'd say, got a bit of the kookiness but is also pretty stable and reliable. Like the best choice in a love triangle movie.

So do force ghosts just like hang out? Or do they pass on completely at some point? They are sentient so did Anakin just chill and shoot the shit with Luke for a while?

EGM1966

Fun fact: That line, when written, was meant to tease the main protagonist of the sequel trilogy (VII, VIII, IX). And that wasn't necessarily Luke's sister (Luke having a sister was mentioned in the first draft of Empire Strikes Back, but dropped from every subsequent draft. "There is another" wasn't added until later drafts.) But this was back when the sequel trilogy was going to be filmed right after Return of the Jedi. After the stressful shoot of Empire Strikes Back, George ditched plans for it and tossed everything into Return of the Jedi. So Leia was turned into Luke's sister so she could be the "another" without having to jarringly introduce a new character.
IIRC they also decided to make Leia his sister as they needed some hook for Vader to tempt/threaten Luke with for the final confrontation to make him fight when he'd decided not to. Couldn't be a new character as too little attachment so Leia was made "the other" and also used to barb Luke with.

TBH even the OT, with Jedi, felt like it was starting to get out of control with the Force/Family links and resolution of all the loose ends set up by ANH and TESB.

Unlike say LOTR Star Wars has never felt like has a truly cohesive central plot and set of characters whose roles are all clearly defined and mesh together (or a mythos that's properly worked out or defined either).

Finn is like Leia and Han i'd say, got a bit of the kookiness but is also pretty stable and reliable. Like the best choice in a love triangle movie.

Poe is Leia. He hands of the important info to a droid, important Resistance figure, gets captured and interrogated in the opening... Finn really doesn't have any qualities of Han, besides shooting a blaster which everyone else can do as well.

firelogic

I think it is important to the overall theme of the movies. It's all about the Skywalker lineage and how important the members are to balancing the force and the fate of the galaxy. If Rey's parents don't matter and she was just another Force birth or just someone with innate force abilities, it kills the mythos. It then becomes, "hey you can be a Jedi. And you can be a jedi. And you and you too!"

And if you've liked Star Wars so far, her being a Skywalker shouldn't annoy you. All the movies have had blood relations or other connections and everyone's ability to find each other so despite it being a huge galaxy, it feels small.

Her being Ob-Wan's grand-daughter just overly complicates things.

Collider Video's Jedi Council had Kyle Newman as a guest and he puts things a little more eloquently than I did regarding Rey's parentage.

Johndoey

Banned
Poe is Leia. He hands of the important info to a droid, important Resistance figure, gets captured and interrogated in the opening... Finn really doesn't have any qualities of Han, besides shooting a blaster which everyone else can do as well.
But he's really good with a blaster. But besides that he's his own generic man. He fights well and is a cool guy.

A lot of Finn's humor is him bullshitting his way through stuff, him complaining about/getting worked up over other character doing heroic things, those are very Han Solo things to do.

Finn is also more selfish, self-perserving, and willing to cut and run, he just doesn't have all those Solo skillz or swagger yet. He will never be an exact Han Solo clone, but much like Poe Dameron, there is some scoundrel DNA in the character.

Randdalf

I don't know if anyone's posted this yet, but Filmtracks posted their review of the Force Awakens soundtrack.

The slightly more brutal tone of orchestration suits The Force Awakens well, and casual ears tuned recently to Howard Shore's unyieldingly oppressive applications in his Middle Earth scores may not notice Williams' subtle shift darker. More obvious to those listeners will be the composer's thematic tendencies, for better or for worse. You witness countless criticisms of The Force Awakens that revolve around the notion that Williams failed to write themes for the picture that you can retain in your memory after the conclusion of the film, and such comments are cheap and without perspective. Only A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back, two truly transcendent, classic scores atop the "best of" lists of all time, contained game-changing themes destined to be heard in sports arenas for decades to come. While The Force Awakens, like the four previous scores in the franchise, does not reach those heights, it's arguably closer than all the others.

http://filmtracks.com/titles/force_awakens.html

I think it is important to the overall theme of the movies. It's all about the Skywalker lineage and how important the members are to balancing the force and the fate of the galaxy. If Rey's parents don't matter and she was just another Force birth or just someone with innate force abilities, it kills the mythos. It then becomes, "hey you can be a Jedi. And you can be a jedi. And you and you too!"
As far as I'm concerned, the original trilogy was about the importance of Skywalker lineage. I don't want another trilogy about same crap. It absolutely should be that anyone can be a Jedi at this point.

The Chef

As far as I'm concerned, the original trilogy was about the importance of Skywalker lineage. I don't want another trilogy about same crap. It absolutely should be that anyone can be a Jedi at this point.

Mmm yeah I dont agree.
Star Wars is the Skywalker lineage...its like the whole story.
Also you found this aspect to be "crap" in the original trilogy?

Side note:

This reminded me why I loved the lighsaber fighting in TFA especially the end. Just brutal, un-choreographed fighting.
https://youtu.be/ORWPCCzSgu0?t=6m33s

Leia existing was clever, because it lets us think there's a chance Luke could fail, or die. So Leia could take his place. Didnt happen, but that might may have made me/us feel a little more uncomfortable during his showdown, in RotJ.

Slime

Banned
I think Rey's parentage might be a red herring (as in, she was abandoned/sold by some random scumbags) and the real story is her being taken in by Luke.

Luke might have lost his family, or feel he lost his right to right to one when Kylo Ren went batshit. Taking in a padawan/daughter-figure might be his way of finding closure and passing on the Skywalker legacy, even if not by blood.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I think Rey's parentage might be a red herring (as in, she was abandoned/sold by some random scumbags) and the real story is her being taken in by Luke.

Luke might have lost his family, or feel he lost his right to right to one when Kylo Ren went batshit. Taking in a padawan/daughter-figure might be his way of finding closure and passing on the Skywalker legacy, even if not by blood.

I think there's something to Rey's past, but I am also in the Red Herring camp regarding her parents. I don't think she's related to Luke.

I hope it is, because the whole genetic part of the force and the obsession with "it's like poetry..." style of plot creation is not what I would like to see these films step even more into.

That guy writes soundtrack reviews twice as long as reviews of the actual film, it's pretty mad.

I still go there from time to time. That dude has a serious problem with Hans Zimmer. Like deep rooted issues. I'll always prefer a more classic orchestral style like John Williams, but I do also enjoy Zimmer's music. He just always has an intense vitriol when reviewing anything Hans Zimmer or his proteges from Remote Control Productions (formerly Media Ventures) compose.

Toa TAK

Banned
I still go there from time to time. That dude has a serious problem with Hans Zimmer. Like deep rooted issues. I'll always prefer a more classic orchestral style like John Williams, but I do also enjoy Zimmer's music.

I see that a lot with soundtrack reviews in general.

Like damn, we can have both. I guess the frustration comes from a lot of scores sounding Zimmer-esque.

But even then, that comes off like they're having some kinda limited view of scores coming out these days.

Top Bottom